Cool ideas for absolutely anything

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Lucien

Postby Lucien » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:44 pm UTC

I would like to put on these rings. Thus having my right index on my left finger, and left index on my right finger.

Would that work?

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:17 pm UTC

xkcd_n00bz wrote:I may want a pair of your rings, but I'm going to need more info first. :p
I would assume it's as if space just continues on through, so yeah, all radiation and such would pass through.

You could use it to vent Venus's atmosphere to Mars for terraforming purposes (for both planets)...

The swapping fingers idea is a fun, silly use for them.

JonMW

Postby JonMW » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:28 am UTC

Woo, looks like I generated some interest! :D

Yes, all radiation continues through.
There's no delay in the matter transportation (sorry, I haven't worked out the conflicts due to speed of light).
The back of each ring looks just like the front. It doesn't matter which way you turn it around, it works just as well... all that changes is which side of the other ring you're reaching.
Gravity is the tricky one. If I allow it to continue through the portal, suddenly these things are a lot more irritating to merely have around. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that gravity does not continue through - you can get a sudden difference in gravity direction and strength at the "transition plane".
There's no reason why you can't use these rings to effectively swap fingers. Make sure that the rings are a snug fit, though - if they end up turned around, you're going to have a very strange grip.

Let's say that the ring on your left hand got rotated clockwise a little way. The finger that you control through nerves going down your right arm (and is now on your left hand) will not go in the direction of the other fingers when you bend it. It will be going to the left. The finger that is now on your right hand will now be going further to the right when you bend it.
I hope I'm explaining this well enough... I don't really have enough words to describe direction. It's not very important to understand, just an exercise in portal mechanics.

I didn't say this before, but I think it was almost implied - if there doesn't happen to be any markings on the inside of the rings, then there isn't anything to mark where the "portal" is, except perhaps the gravity difference. If you looked through it (and you could) then you wouldn't see anything out of the ordinary - the only way to know that "travelling through this ring will result in a different location than travelling around this ring" is that the "inside" and "outside" views don't match up.

I think that covers most of it. One more thing: I never imagined these as being limited to finger-wearing size.

More uses!
Create impossible shapes!
It's straight! It's got no ends! In fact, it's completely unbroken! It's a pole with two portals!
Halloween!
One person can look like two! Just place a portal around your waist and scare the crap out of the neighbourhood!

durnurd

Postby durnurd » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:32 pm UTC

But how does the ring stay on your finger? If, that is, you were going to put it on your finger. As soon as you put it on, the ring, if under the influence of any other forces, would fall off your hand, since there's no (or very little) matter actually inside the ring holding it in place. The only way I could imagine it working is if you put them on whilst they were being held in the air by clamps or something.

That brings up a good question... where is the portal? In the center of the ring, or on one or the other end?

Am I correct in assuming that we could finally create "bottomless" (or at least much larger on the inside than outside) bag inventory systems with this?
Edward Dassmesser

JonMW

Postby JonMW » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:38 pm UTC

I'd say that the portal is in the middle of the ring. The portal itself has only area, not volume. You can grip the insides of the ring quite well.
It stays on your finger at least aswell as any normal ring that happens to be half as thick (fingerlength ways).

Which way would it fall? Are you assuming that your finger would be cut off, or something?

And yes, you can effectively increase pocket size with this. You can also use it for quasi-miniturisation of many things (since most of its mass is on the other side of the portal, and it just has to be operable using the mass on your side of the portal aperture).

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:13 am UTC

What if one protal is larger than another, and something fills the space that won't be translated into the other ring?
You couldn't possibly contruct them to the same size, you'd need a safety area of about 10 cm around the edge to ensure there was no cutoff, but what if you went into the smaller portal?
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Eschatokyrios

Postby Eschatokyrios » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:01 am UTC

A brutally realistic magical girl anime. Upping the violence tenfold and exploring the psychological consequences of conscripting 13 year old girls to fight wars, what the burdon of absolute secrey does to the girls, and how you deal with the complete and utter absurdity of being forced to kill people by shooting pink heart-shaped beams at them.
კაცი ბჭობდა, ღმერთი იცინოდაო
k'atsi bch'obda, ghmerti itsinodao
"Man was discussing, God was laughing"
-Georgian proverb

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:17 am UTC

^ ^And the moral perversity of their magical powers forcing them to wear outfits that would make a harlot blush.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:37 am UTC

I don't know that those outfits make Harlots Blush...
they make ME blush, but that's another matter...

Bondolon

Postby Bondolon » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:47 am UTC

Since I'm in to cooking, my idea is a springform pan length round of parchment paper, and a single round to go on the bottom. It would revolutionize cheesecake.

ifeedlions

Postby ifeedlions » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:43 am UTC

I suggest you use tart tins with removable bottoms. A nice 3" tart is an attractive presentation for a cheesecake, and it is instant portion control... no one gets stuck with the little slice. I could give you some really badass chocolate crumb pastry recipes to use as a crust, should you be so inclined... cooking is kinda more my profession than it is my hobby.
Let me fall out of the window, with confetti in my hair...

Bondolon

Postby Bondolon » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:48 am UTC

ifeedlions wrote:I suggest you use tart tins with removable bottoms. A nice 3" tart is an attractive presentation for a cheesecake, and it is instant portion control... no one gets stuck with the little slice. I could give you some really badass chocolate crumb pastry recipes to use as a crust, should you be so inclined... cooking is kinda more my profession than it is my hobby.

I've done this, and it works. It only doesn't work for an actual cheesecake (instead of cheesecake tart). Cheesecake tarts are nice, and can be very presentable, but they just don't work for the big(literal big)-time.

edit: sometimes people like the "oh hey a slice of cake" (little do they know it's a freaking custard pie) feel. It's semi-professional for me too, as I am a blog journalist with a vegetarian cooking blog. I understand exactly that smaller presentation is nice, but there's something to be said of the illusion of a slice of the large.

edit2: I as well have a good recipe for a crust. It's a combination of cardamom, cinnamon and cream cheese. Little do people know that it's a freaking curry cheesecake, but I'm not about to tell them, since everyone I've talked to thinks it's awesome.

edit3: Actually, I suppose advertising a Curry-spice Cheesecake wouldn't exactly repel business, and since it's "Oh me yarm toatally rad" the curry part of it would be a "hey, we know of an underground kinda" thing. In any case, I invented it a few years ago, but apparently the powers that be still haven't taken note of cardamom.

ifeedlions

Postby ifeedlions » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:16 am UTC

Well, unless you're using Black Cardamom, it doesn't really count as a curry spice, and even then it's not a particularly common ingredient in the Garam... one of cardamom's primary uses is in sweet pastries in Poland and the Ukraine, or as a seasoning in teas and coffees... so you're apparently not alone in keeping it in your sweeter dishes.

I only really use cardamom in a coffee sauce for sweet potatoe / cucumber cakes, or similar savory entrees.
Let me fall out of the window, with confetti in my hair...

Bondolon

Postby Bondolon » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:41 am UTC

ifeedlions wrote:Well, unless you're using Black Cardamom, it doesn't really count as a curry spice, and even then it's not a particularly common ingredient in the Garam... one of cardamom's primary uses is in sweet pastries in Poland and the Ukraine, or as a seasoning in teas and coffees... so you're apparently not alone in keeping it in your sweeter dishes.

I only really use cardamom in a coffee sauce for sweet potatoe / cucumber cakes, or similar savory entrees.

You know as well as I do that cardamom (whether green or black) CAN contribute to curry, and that simple Garam Masala can contain, should the chef so desire, only cardamom and cinnamon. You'd hardly find a chef that would claim such, but calling them a "curry blend" is not off-base. As Garam Masala is a curry powder, Cardamom cinnamon cheesecake could (and for the sake of marketing, very well could happily) be called Curry Crust Cheesecake.

edit: Just to be a tid-bit more standoffish (as heresy has an excellent place in discussion), this belongs in a cooking theory (cuisine) thread, instead of an all-inclusive thread or a recipe thread.

celandine

Postby celandine » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:11 pm UTC

Cheesecake sounds great. And as an occasional curry cook -- yeah, cardamom is a curry spice.

My idea: personal motor cortex programs. I think the technology already exists. It's known how to stimulate the brain in the right place to make you raise your hand, say. It's known how to take a PET scan and see where the blood flows in the brain while someone completes an activity. Now, have Jackie Chan do some kung fu stuff while hooked up to electrodes, copy the pattern, and zap me in exactly the same way. Then I'm propelled by an unseen force to do flips & scale walls. Muscular strength is probably an issue, but barring that, you could be possessed by a martial arts master. Or you could be Barenboim playing the piano. Might be sweet.

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:54 pm UTC

xkcd_n00bz wrote:It's far more entertaining to imagine a quantum gun, if you will, with a wormhole tunnel between the trigger of one and the hammer of the other. There is no physical tether and, without regard to spacial distance, when one trigger is pulled, the other gun fires.

The perfect murder! Drug someone, set them up in their office chair pointing one of the guns at their own head. Wait till a lot of people are around, then pull the trigger of the other gun...

...Wait, couldn't something like that be done without wormholes?

Another idea might be having a normal gun, except for the fact that instead of the gun in your hand recoiling, something far away (like another gun underground somewhere) recoils instead.

I've always wanted to have a building with a mobius strip corridor in the basement. After wandering through the underground passages for a while, you reach the outside again, only to discover that everything is flipped. Also, now you can't read without a mirror, and people think you're left handed.

A perfect noise cancellation device. Neighbors playing their radio too loud? Just blanket the entire city with silence. Turn it on during a meeting, watch as everyone realizes they can't make a sound. Stop Voldemort from saying the last syllable of that spell. Play a prank on a friend, by having everyone you know pretend they can hear each other just fine. Sneak up on someone silently (make hide and go seek easier for mouth breathers?).

Age-based chat room. No, not what you're thinking. If you are precisely 19 years, 2 months, 6 days, 3 hours, 2 minutes and 15 seconds old, then right now you are talking to everybody else who has used it when they were the same exact age. For instance, you could be talking to your parents when they were your age, or trying to get your great great grandkids (who are having a hard time surviving in a post-apocalyptic future) to give you the winning lottery numbers. Or convincing your grandfather to commit suicide.
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:58 pm UTC

notzeb wrote:
Age-based chat room. No, not what you're thinking. If you are precisely 19 years, 2 months, 6 days, 3 hours, 2 minutes and 15 seconds old, then right now you are talking to everybody else who has used it when they were the same exact age. For instance, you could be talking to your parents when they were your age, or trying to get your great great grandkids (who are having a hard time surviving in a post-apocalyptic future) to give you the winning lottery numbers. Or convincing your grandfather to commit suicide.

I think we'll need a decision on that, pending a solution to the whole "Eternity" thing.

Plus, that'd be one loud chatroom, you'd never get anything in that wasn't immediatly scrolled to the top.

Plus, what if you're 19 and your Mum is talking about her Sexcapades?
eeeewwwww...

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:04 pm UTC

Yeah but you won't know it's your mom, you'll just think it's some random girl. Also, only a small number of people would even know about the chat room, and the people from the far future would just filter out the noobish questions of the people of the past. Why should they bother talking to people who don't even know about substring theory?

Edit: either that, or they could have the chat split into multiple "rooms". You know, one for art fags, one for the greatest geniuses of all time, one for historians...

Edit 2: Then there'll be the trolls pretending to be from the distant past or the far future...
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

JonMW

Postby JonMW » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:14 pm UTC

I think it's a given that the two portals are exactly the same size. Otherwise, it just doesn't work...

But I've got a problem when I try to think about this.
You're holding one ring. The other ring is lying on the table.

Look into your ring. From one side, you see the ceiling above the table. From the other, you see the surface of the table. Put your finger into your ring and press on the surface of the table.
Will the ring on the table be lifted up, or will it feel as if you are simply pressing on an unyielding surface?

Right now, I'm thinking that you won't be able to lift the ring on the table by pressing into your ring - you'll need to physically lift the far inside edge of the ring away from the table with a fingernail...

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:21 pm UTC

WHOA.

Get two sets of portal rings, one bigger than the other, and both big enough to walk through.

Put one of the bigger ones above the other bigger one. Get one of the smaller ones, hold it in between the bigger ones, and drop it.

Wait.

Somehow slow the falling ring down enough to take it out safely. Now you have a time machine! 8)

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:26 pm UTC

notzeb wrote:Yeah but you won't know it's your mom, you'll just think it's some random girl. Also, only a small number of people would even know about the chat room, and the people from the far future would just filter out the noobish questions of the people of the past. Why should they bother talking to people who don't even know about substring theory?

Edit: either that, or they could have the chat split into multiple "rooms". You know, one for art fags, one for the greatest geniuses of all time, one for historians...

Edit 2: Then there'll be the trolls pretending to be from the distant past or the far future...

i'm not sure why, but i assumed the chatroom would be a sort of thing for everyone who is exactly the same age now. like in Midnight's Children, the telepathic thing they have going on. that is in fact the way i've always envisaged forums and such.
so you would have an ongoing community, and be able to speak to people from all over the $language -speaking world. that would be cool. and birthdays would be mental!
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

Bugs

Postby Bugs » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:04 pm UTC

A cool idea that could actually be built (not that the portal-ring things aren't awesome) has been knocking around in my mind for years. It's on the list for when I'm rich beyond my wildest dreams.

You need a big-ish room, with a plain-coloured floor. In the room above is a load of 70cm x 3m mirrors, aligned into a square lattice like a Go board. Each mirror can slide down through the ceiling to make a 70cm long wall. Hook the mirror slide controls up to a computer.

When you press the BIG RED BUTTON the computer designs a maze, then causes the mirrors to slide down from the ceiling to for its walls. Presto, an instantly deployed and newly designed mirror maze every day! It could connect two doors (how cool would this be as the entrance to your house?), hide something in the middle of the room or form the environment for cool human-scale board games.

There are a shed-load of possible enhancements:

Most obviously, the maze needn't be static. Wall sections can change state either according to time or in response to your movements.
With a bit of fancy engineering, the computer could have mirrors, clear glass or opaque walls to choose from. For extra coolness (and ludicrous expense) play with combinations of polarity and colour of glass walls, so -- for example -- you could see through the nearest glass walls but not the ones behind them.
Lights on the floor to leave a trail - either where you've been or of a virtual minotaur's progress.
Light guns for hunting your friends. You'd need some way to minimise bounce, and perhaps prevent them from working through glass walls.

...anyway, you get the idea. Does it rock?
...or is it?

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:10 pm UTC

Arent there ways to make mirrors that turn on and off by running a current through them, or did I make that up/steal it from Splinter Cell?
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

Bugs

Postby Bugs » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:49 pm UTC

Yes. Awesome, I'd never heard of those before.
...or is it?

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:52 pm UTC

So yeah, make the movable maze out of those. That'd be hell of sweet. Unless you had to go to the bathroom and you got lost. Of if you were drunk. I would hate that.

JonMW

Postby JonMW » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:41 am UTC

Well, you would still need to be able to actually move the walls. Otherwise, you'd just walk into glass, wouldn't you?

Also, realisation about the portals.
1. I'm going to declare that you cannot "lift" the ring on the table by pushing at the surface seen in your ring.

2. If your time machine idea works, you don't need them to be different sizes. You just need the portals to be square-shaped. That also eliminates any uncomfortable edge effects.

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:59 am UTC

I've been drawing up these designs for two coil magnets vibrating a guitar string, if I pull it off for my science project that would be kick-ass.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:58 am UTC

JonMW wrote:Well, you would still need to be able to actually move the walls. Otherwise, you'd just walk into glass, wouldn't you?

1. I'm going to declare that you cannot "lift" the ring on the table by pushing at the surface seen in your ring.

Make the rings square, put a whole bunch on a floor of 5 feet of solid steel (Or less, whatever, a big hard surface... *Giggle*)
Then wear the rest in a grid on your shirt.
Unmovable armor.
Or even better,
Get the armor shirt,
But put the pairs on a hand-held device that fans out from your palm to make each portal face the same direction as your palm, Anything they shoot at you comes back their way.

Unfortunatly there's a vulnerability,
If they get behind you there's a bunch of portals to your bare, naked, Manly chest. (... I have issues...)

KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"

Postby KicktheCAN » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:59 pm UTC

JonMW wrote:Well, you would still need to be able to actually move the walls. Otherwise, you'd just walk into glass, wouldn't you?

2. If your time machine idea works, you don't need them to be different sizes. You just need the portals to be square-shaped. That also eliminates any uncomfortable edge effects.

So you can not put on the ring if it is lying on a table? At least one way you can't.
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:57 pm UTC

KicktheCAN wrote:

So you can not put on the ring if it is lying on a table? At least one way you can't.

I'd be more worried about the fact that if you put the ring on, there's a disembodied finger out there, And how freaked out would your body be if it felt your finger move around without being affected or affecting the rest of your body? It'd be like Phantom limb but in reverse... Blurghlrghlrgh...

Black_Dawn

Postby Black_Dawn » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:41 am UTC

As you can probably tell from my avatar, I'm an Iron Chef fan.

As you probably can't tell from my avatar, I'm a video game designer.

I really want to make an Iron Chef game for the Nintendo Wii. It would be a mix of an RPG, a sporting event and Cooking Mama. You build up your chef and restaurant, learning new recipes and ingredients, all in an effort to become an Iron Chef (you compete on the show at many points in the game).

If you succeed in becoming an Iron Chef, Chairman Kaga reveals his true nature as a being from a higher plane of realty. To save the world, you must beat him in his own stadium.

He can add garnish WITH HIS MIND!

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:21 am UTC

No-one can beat Chairman Kaga(o?) at anything.Period.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:23 am UTC

You know, I saw Jeri Ryan (read: Seven of Nine) on Iron Chef America once. It was one of the best things that ever happened to me.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:35 am UTC

Black_Dawn wrote:I really want to make an Iron Chef game for the Nintendo Wii. It would be a mix of an RPG, a sporting event and Cooking Mama. You build up your chef and restaurant, learning new recipes and ingredients, all in an effort to become an Iron Chef (you compete on the show at many points in the game).

I think it should have an element of 3d fighter where you have to battle other contestants physically.

Spot

Postby Spot » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:00 am UTC

Black_Dawn wrote:As you can probably tell from my avatar, I'm an Iron Chef fan.

As you probably can't tell from my avatar, I'm a video game designer.

I really want to make an Iron Chef game for the Nintendo Wii. It would be a mix of an RPG, a sporting event and Cooking Mama. You build up your chef and restaurant, learning new recipes and ingredients, all in an effort to become an Iron Chef (you compete on the show at many points in the game).

If you succeed in becoming an Iron Chef, Chairman Kaga reveals his true nature as a being from a higher plane of realty. To save the world, you must beat him in his own stadium.

He can add garnish WITH HIS MIND!

Looks like someone beat you to it.

Magitek

Postby Magitek » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:17 am UTC

I've always thought it'd be cool to buy a giant warehouse out in the desert or something and start a business doing real-world adaptations to videogames. Like for instance, one month could be Mario-Kart month and the warehouse is decorated and turned into a 1:1 replica of a level from one of the Mario Karts (perhaps for insurance purposes one with fences)

And another time you could replicate Facility in Goldeneye for a paintball or airsoft game.

And of course, the first level from Super Mario Bros would be pretty cool if the floor was matted so if u fell from the high platforms it wouldnt hurt too much, or if you were in a harness, haha.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:29 am UTC

How would you simulate blue shells without causing serious injury?

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:50 am UTC

Narsil wrote:I've been thinking about that since...first grade, really. School is such a waste of time. Not in the usual nihilistic sense of the phrase, but I mean it's inefficient. It takes up a lot of time for the small amount of information retained, in addition to being a lot of stress.

We need some sort of well-developed and well-implemented techniques that focus on learning quickly and retaining information. The way schools are set up now it seems like they have the goal of making the student fail, or at least stacking the odds against them and hoping the added homework and studying they need to do will make up for shoddy teaching methods.

Asimov wrote it. Sorry.

Although that's like the "Simpsons did it!" of the SF short story world.
SargeZT wrote:Oh dear no, I love penguins. They're my favorite animal ever besides cows.

The reason I would kill penguins would be, no one ever, ever fucking kills penguins.

Magitek

Postby Magitek » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:02 am UTC

Who said anything about avoiding serious injury?

Fine...

Here's how I would see items working: (Assuming money is not an issue and everything's state-of-the-art)

Item boxes are layed around the track (perhaps the edges to avoid collisions) and have handles that you can grab.

Karts don't necessarily fly up in the air like in the game for safety/physical reasons, but rather maybe the karts are designed to have bumpers that can trigger a controlled "spin-out" sort of like seen when going over banana peels. The karts can also be controlled from a central computer to modify their speed to have sudden slow-downs.

Assuming the proper safety gear is being worn and there's enough padding on the track and on the cars, all items are tagged and a computer is overseeing certain aspects of collision.

- Banana peels are small enough to be run over, but when run over cause a controlled spin-out of the kart with minimal speed lost.

- Green Shells hit the kart and trigger the kart to veer off to the right for a second and cut the gas coasting for 2-3 seconds until the controls come online again.

- Red Shells can be thrown/slid on the ground and activated which causes wheels on the bottom to move the red shell along and controlled by a computer to hit the nearest opponent. When hit, the same effects of the green shell are applied.

- Blue Shell works just like the red shells but they only actively seek the 1st place person (or everyone in the way ala MK64), but the effect is much more dramatic, a spinout followed by a loss of controls for 4-5 seconds.

- Starman would be a "virtual" item per se. When you have the item, and use it (perhaps its just a Star-shaped object with a button) Your kart starts flashing colors (and the music plays of course) and any kart that you get close enough to or nudge will have the effects of a shell applied to them

Sound needlessly complicated enough? Good.

Strychnos

Postby Strychnos » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:19 am UTC

After frustrating games of Call of Duty, I always want to set up a huge move-theater style TV for big video game parties, but have each quadrant of the screen sectioned off into a mini-room, so you can only see your screen.

Fucking screen-lookers.

Return to “General”