Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineering)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Heisenberg

Re: Gearheads united! (kludges, motor enthusiasts, engineeri

Postby Heisenberg » Tue May 07, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

Honestly, I meant throwing in the towel and scrapping the car. New engine block is probably not worth it the time and money.

But if there's an outside chance I could fix it with some sealant or a new gasket somewhere, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the renewed optimism!

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Wed May 08, 2013 12:07 am UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:
Wednesday wrote:Pretty sure it was meant that a junkyard might be a source of functioning parts, not an entire "new" block.

well, if the block is cracked and leaking, thats the part you need to replace.

A Scrappie (aka junkyard) would be a cheap but unreliable source for a transplant engine... a proper dismantlers is more likely to both sell you a good one, and guarantee it at least for a little bit (plus put it on a pallet and have it delivered!)
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed May 08, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

TheKrikkitWars wrote:
Wednesday wrote:Pretty sure it was meant that a junkyard might be a source of functioning parts, not an entire "new" block.

well, if the block is cracked and leaking, thats the part you need to replace.

A Scrappie (aka junkyard) would be a cheap but unreliable source for a transplant engine... a proper dismantlers is more likely to both sell you a good one, and guarantee it at least for a little bit (plus put it on a pallet and have it delivered!)

this i can attest to, yes, my current problems being caused by a cheap junkyard engine with a busted head gasket.
its my only option at this point however, because, well, im practically broke. all i can say is, if you do go that route, check EVERYTHING, and replace all the pieces you can.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu May 09, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

was cleaning up heads today to perform gasket replacement, and what do i see?
a nick. one little tiny nick on cylinder #2. if i let it go, im just gonna be replacing headgaskets again in 100 miles or so.

so i have to dismantle my heads and send them off to the machine shop to be resurfaced. which is gonna cost another hundred bucks i don't have.

today has been a really terrible birthday :(

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu May 09, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

Hmm, this seems like the best place to ask. I'm thinking about doing some backyard aluminum casting. Other than standard mask/goggles/gloves/etc safety gear and a good cauldron, is there really anything else I need? I'll likely be doing sand casting, so not really a ton of gear needed for that end of things. Also, anything in particular I should watch out for?

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Fri May 10, 2013 9:04 am UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:Hmm, this seems like the best place to ask. I'm thinking about doing some backyard aluminum casting. Other than standard mask/goggles/gloves/etc safety gear and a good cauldron, is there really anything else I need? I'll likely be doing sand casting, so not really a ton of gear needed for that end of things. Also, anything in particular I should watch out for?

How much do you know about pattern making? you'll have to allow for shrinkage by incrementally increasing the pattern's size to achieve the correct cast piece, then you'll need to allow for off-gassing, after which you need to consider how you're getting the metal into the mould evenly, parts of the pattern will need a greater supply of molten metal than others to account for shrinkage problems and how the metal flows it varies from alloy to alloy, with some being almost actively drawn in...

Then you've got finishing the casting off, which means removing the excess metal from the risers and gating system usually by grinding, then machining to final size... Investment (lost wax) and Plaster Mould techniques are more involved, but get you a lot nearer to the finished shape and surface desired.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon May 13, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

ladies and gentlemen, the heads are in after much struggling and effort.

bought this copper spray-a-gasket stuff a friend recomendded, we will see if it works out ok. seems to be good stuff, just sprayed it over my existing gasket, plop the gasket down, and seal it up. of course now i have what amouts to 3/4 of a can of copper gasket spray left.
my kludgy mind is figuring out ways to use it up.... hmmm.....

edit: one golden raptor statue to the funniest post with what i can do with 3/4 of a can of copper spray-a-gasket. im bored, and the can is sitting on my desk taunting me.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sat May 18, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

Went to the Anglesey Festival of Transport and Machinery earlier... I got a couple of handy tools cheaply, was invited to join a local green woodworking club, spent some time shoveling coal for a stranger who was struggling to get his steam-roller into steam, and very nearly traded my car for a traction engine.

I would dearly have loved to get rid of the car (which is a bit worn out) and would absolutely love to own a traction engine (even a rusty old one that's only just in working order)... But with a top speed of ten miles an hour, and a fuel efficiency of about 50kg of coal per hr (including the three hours it takes to get the boiler up to pressure), totally impractical...

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Mon May 20, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

And now I've got a Toolpost grinder with a motor that needs re-winding which will be "fun", but for £10...

I don't own a lathe, but the grinder is actually for a home built Profile Grinder, for making and sharpening spindle moulder knives and profiled irons for moulding planes.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon May 20, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

SHE LIVES!

my car is purring like a kitten now.

i even got my crappy car stereo to work, with some help from a good friend of mine (who i also like, but thats a different subject)

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sun May 26, 2013 4:56 am UTC

Spent most of this afternoon working on my new (used) vehicle, I've been trying to set a bit of a clean slate as far as maintenance items go and took the chance to use my parents garage instead of the street. Changed the oil, air filter, and sparkplugs, which leaves me with maybe just coolant and power steering fluid to do at some point. At least, I think that's all - I've taken care of the transmission/transfer case/diffs, but I might be overlooking something.

I have to give credit to Toyota's engineers, too - so much easier to work on than my Grand Am was, and having a top-mounted oil filter is one of those small but brilliant things that makes you want to buy the designer a drink.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sun May 26, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:I have to give credit to Toyota's engineers, too - so much easier to work on than my Grand Am was, and having a top-mounted oil filter is one of those small but brilliant things that makes you want to buy the designer a drink.

That's continuous improvement in action, Right There!

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Sun May 26, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:Spent most of this afternoon working on my new (used) vehicle, I've been trying to set a bit of a clean slate as far as maintenance items go and took the chance to use my parents garage instead of the street. Changed the oil, air filter, and sparkplugs, which leaves me with maybe just coolant and power steering fluid to do at some point. At least, I think that's all - I've taken care of the transmission/transfer case/diffs, but I might be overlooking something.

I have to give credit to Toyota's engineers, too - so much easier to work on than my Grand Am was, and having a top-mounted oil filter is one of those small but brilliant things that makes you want to buy the designer a drink.

this right here, the 22r engine from toyota has to be one of my favorites to work on.

edit: right after getting my car to run, SO damn happy, the transmission starts "slipping" i apply gas, car goes nowhere even though the engine revs.
i believe it may be an MLPS sensor. so darn pissed about this car.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Tue May 28, 2013 12:12 am UTC

My astra has developed a serious oil leak... over the weekend, it used a litre of oil in 300 miles and it seems to be getting worse.

I've visually inspected it, and the block seems sound and is still clean (ruling out cracks in the head and block or a failed gasket). The leak seems to start about 2" out from the nearside of the engine and around the second layer of pipework down making it hard to get my hands on it to feel for damage; there's so much used oil covering things that it's impossible to see anything in there... Anyone got any suggestions on what I should be looking/feeling for? (whilst I'm no stranger to wielding the business end of spanner about, cars are not my field really, I've always worked on static machines and plant).

Amarpal

Postby Amarpal » Wed May 29, 2013 7:07 am UTC

TheKrikkitWars wrote:My astra has developed a serious oil leak... over the weekend, it used a litre of oil in 300 miles and it seems to be getting worse.

I've visually inspected it, and the block seems sound and is still clean (ruling out cracks in the head and block or a failed gasket). The leak seems to start about 2" out from the nearside of the engine and around the second layer of pipework down making it hard to get my hands on it to feel for damage; there's so much used oil covering things that it's impossible to see anything in there... Anyone got any suggestions on what I should be looking/feeling for? (whilst I'm no stranger to wielding the business end of spanner about, cars are not my field really, I've always worked on static machines and plant).

That's a lot of oil dude :shock:
Description's not really good enough to diagnose it.
Usual culprits: sump gasket, main seal, loose oil filter. Also, I believe the astras have a oil pressure sensor behind the exhaust manifold that likes to leak.

Anyway, give it a good spray with degreaser and hose it down. Then start her up and see what's what.

roband

Postby roband » Wed May 29, 2013 11:18 pm UTC

Fuck sensors. Fuck car computers and fuck the machines that plug into the car computers.

Fuck the people who have to plug their machines into my car computers, press a button to reset a sensor (the aforementioned which is being "fuck"ed) and fuck them charging me £150 for the benefit.

All because a fucking fault light on my dashboard stops me passing my MO-fucking-T.

Fuck.

Amarpal

Postby Amarpal » Thu May 30, 2013 2:27 am UTC

...Should have just taken out the bulb

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu May 30, 2013 4:30 am UTC

im not sure if things are the same in the uk, but why not just buy a code scanner and do it yourself? alot cheaper and they come in handy for fixing problems and not getting screwed by mechanics

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Thu May 30, 2013 5:07 am UTC

That was my first thought as well - that's highway robbery for turning a CEL off. OBDII to Bluetooth adapters go for something like £10 on Amazon and will do the trick well enough.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk

Amarpal

Postby Amarpal » Thu May 30, 2013 5:29 am UTC

Calipers rebuilt: Check
New pads and disks: Check
Axle sliders installed: Check
Critical fasteners drilled and lockwired: Check
Brake fluid leaking from bleeder valve...wait what :shock: Hmm, probably should have replaced those when I did the caliper seals.

Interesting how new problems only arise AFTER you've finished fixing the old ones and the parts are back on the vehicle.

roband

Postby roband » Thu May 30, 2013 6:48 am UTC

Amarpal wrote:...Should have just taken out the bulb

Considered it, it looks like an LED buried deep in the dashboard somewhere. Only way to get to it involves practically dismantling the interior of the car.

PhoenixEnigma wrote:That was my first thought as well - that's highway robbery for turning a CEL off. OBDII to Bluetooth adapters go for something like £10 on Amazon and will do the trick well enough.

Not sure it's that simple. I drive a car from a defunct manufacturer (Daewoo) and apparently not even all garages have the right kit - I have to go to Chevrolet who bought Daewoo out and still have all their old gear.

roband

Postby roband » Fri May 31, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:That was my first thought as well - that's highway robbery for turning a CEL off. OBDII to Bluetooth adapters go for something like £10 on Amazon and will do the trick well enough.

The light is off, it cost me £45 to get it done. But they won't guarantee that it won't return.

Can you recommend an app to use on Android for this? I can borrow a friend's adapter.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Fri May 31, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

Great thread!

Gearheads unite!!

I am currently in the state of saving up money to buy a Whipple Supercharger to install on my 08 Mustang GT.

This summer I am going to do a complete breakjob on my 99 Ford F150.

I have done a lot over the years to my own (and wifes) cars, but now really just saving money and doing minor repairs.

I am not at the level of rebuilding engines but I try to do everything myself.

Incase your into cars, here is my mod list on the GT:
Spoiler:
SCT tuner -- 93 Octane tune
JLT Cold Air Intake
BBK longtube Ceramic headers
BBK midpipe
BMR Upper and Lower control arms
BMR Lower Control arm relocation bracket
Vogtland lowering springs 1" drop
Ford Racing GT/500 Shocks and Struts
MGW Short Throw shifter
Ford Racing 3.73 Gears
Then lots of apperance mods. Spoiler, grille upper and lower, louvers, etc.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri May 31, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

roband wrote:

The light is off, it cost me £45 to get it done. But they won't guarantee that it won't return.

Can you recommend an app to use on Android for this? I can borrow a friend's adapter.

Not being much of an Android user, I don't have firsthand experience, but Torque seems to be pretty well recommended and would be my first step.

roband

Postby roband » Fri May 31, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

Yep, the guy at work was able to recommend the same one! :) Thanks mate

donny662

Postby donny662 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:39 am UTC

TheKrikkitWars wrote:
Wednesday wrote:
Tomlidich the second wrote:grease has a tendency to stain your nail beds and stuff which is NOT attractive.

Man, fuck that, my boyfriend doesn't like me for my beautiful nails (note: they are not beautiful, his *are*).

When I was working in the sawmill i had to periodically go and work for the toolroom, fitters and occasionally with millwrights who were contracting... I discovered that lubricants, swarf and general muck will destroy your skin in pretty short order if you're in frequent contact... having your skin crack open on your finger tips is no fun at all! Nitrile or Vitrile gloves are the way forwards.

Trasmission fluid is the opposite. It makes your skin soft and moist.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:Great thread!

Gearheads unite!!

I am currently in the state of saving up money to buy a Whipple Supercharger to install on my 08 Mustang GT.

This summer I am going to do a complete breakjob on my 99 Ford F150.

I have done a lot over the years to my own (and wifes) cars, but now really just saving money and doing minor repairs.

I am not at the level of rebuilding engines but I try to do everything myself.

Incase your into cars, here is my mod list on the GT:
Spoiler:
SCT tuner -- 93 Octane tune
JLT Cold Air Intake
BBK longtube Ceramic headers
BBK midpipe
BMR Upper and Lower control arms
BMR Lower Control arm relocation bracket
Vogtland lowering springs 1" drop
Ford Racing GT/500 Shocks and Struts
MGW Short Throw shifter
Ford Racing 3.73 Gears
Then lots of apperance mods. Spoiler, grille upper and lower, louvers, etc.

welcome!
out of curiosity, what block are you running in your mustang?

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

maybe not the right spot for this, but does anyone in here have a 3d printer? If so, any feedback on it - what you like, what you don't like, costs, etc. would be really useful. I'm looking at getting one, and was wondering if folks around here had one that they liked.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:maybe not the right spot for this, but does anyone in here have a 3d printer? If so, any feedback on it - what you like, what you don't like, costs, etc. would be really useful. I'm looking at getting one, and was wondering if folks around here had one that they liked.

don't have one, i would really like one..... sooooo expensive though

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:48 am UTC

eran_rathan wrote:maybe not the right spot for this, but does anyone in here have a 3d printer? If so, any feedback on it - what you like, what you don't like, costs, etc. would be really useful. I'm looking at getting one, and was wondering if folks around here had one that they liked.

don't have one, i would really like one..... sooooo expensive though

Most of the ones I'm looking at are in the $2200-$3000, which isn't terrible (though it would be nice to find one cheaper, say, $1500).

I was just looking online, and there is a group making custom Lego pieces with theirs. So cool.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

LEGO tolerances are extremely tight, on the order of .0005", so be aware that a 3D-printed LEGO may not fit nicely together with your other bricks.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

I spent the day assembling IKEA furniture... God-tier hex key control. Fuckers didn't know what hit them.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:50 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:LEGO tolerances are extremely tight, on the order of .0005", so be aware that a 3D-printed LEGO may not fit nicely together with your other bricks.

this is pretty good advice, the tolerances on lego bricks are extremely tight, they are made with a custom made cast by lego, a very expensive and detailed process.

AlexTheSeal

Postby AlexTheSeal » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:I have always wondered how people can tell the year of a car just by looking at it. I can understand narrowing it down to a decade or so, but a specific year seems impossible, especially with restorations that add parts from different years.

This is a cultural thing that IMHO is most prevalent in the USA, and mostly with American cars from the '50s through the early '70s, when the modus operandi of the marketing people was to make significant styling changes every year, and try to convince Joe Consumer in turn that if he didn't buy an "updated" car every year, his life would be ruined.

Code: Select all

10 REM WORLD'S SMALLEST ADVENTURE GAME
20 PRINT "YOU ARE IN A CAVE (N, S, E, W)? ";
30 INPUT A$
40 GOTO 10

Lulled to sleep by the one-hertz chuckle of Linux logfile writes since 1997.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

so my good friend with a kawasaki 1000 police bike messed up his forks pretty good, they won't travel up or down any more. we suspect the fork seals are all f'ed up, hes going to get parts and im gonna help him with it possibly this weekend.

AlexTheSeal

Postby AlexTheSeal » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:58 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:so my good friend with a kawasaki 1000 police bike messed up his forks pretty good, they won't travel up or down any more. we suspect the fork seals are all f'ed up, hes going to get parts and im gonna help him with it possibly this weekend.

That's a fairly easy and very satisfying job. Enjoy. I suggest that you use a good-quality, heavier-than-spec oil when you refill them--you'll be amazed at the difference in handling on a big old heavy bike like that. 20wt Lucas synthetic is good.

Code: Select all

10 REM WORLD'S SMALLEST ADVENTURE GAME
20 PRINT "YOU ARE IN A CAVE (N, S, E, W)? ";
30 INPUT A$
40 GOTO 10

Lulled to sleep by the one-hertz chuckle of Linux logfile writes since 1997.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:15 am UTC

AlexTheSeal wrote:
Tomlidich the second wrote:so my good friend with a kawasaki 1000 police bike messed up his forks pretty good, they won't travel up or down any more. we suspect the fork seals are all f'ed up, hes going to get parts and im gonna help him with it possibly this weekend.

That's a fairly easy and very satisfying job. Enjoy. I suggest that you use a good-quality, heavier-than-spec oil when you refill them--you'll be amazed at the difference in handling on a big old heavy bike like that. 20wt Lucas synthetic is good.

ill keep it in mind thanks

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

so pretty soon here im getting a new vehicle! yayyyyyyy

its gonna be a 1977 toyota hilux, freaking bulletproof. this ones got a ton of new parts in it, and its from a family member so i know where it has been. im really ecstatic

its alot cheaper to operate, so ill actually be able to go and do social stuff with people at a farther range, opening up more possibilites.

colinrmitchell

Postby colinrmitchell » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

I don't have much to add to the current conversation, so I'll just throw out some of my projects.

I did a head gasket job a couple of months ago on a 2001 Land Rover. It was my first head gasket job, and it wasn't too bad. A couple of the head bolts were tough to get to, being partially blocked by the firewall. The block is aluminum and the head bolts are torque-to-yield, which made me really nervous. All of them went in fine, though! The engine was actually pretty simple. Minimal vacuum lines and electronics. Took around 25 hours, including smoke and beer breaks. A couple hundred bucks at the machine shop for a hot-bath and resurfacing. I threw a new water pump and viscous fan on while I was in there.

I don't even want know what it would take to do the head gaskets in my 1999 Ford F150 with the 5.4L. I can barely even see the spark plugs on the back-most cylinders.

Pictures:

Spoiler:

I started on my planned body-off "restoration" of my 1996 Ford Ranger. I kind of half-assed a lot of the stuff on it back when I wasn't as skilled and patient with this type of stuff, so I want to redo almost everything and also simplify a lot. This vehicle is now off-road only.

Spoiler:
(Yes, there are plants growing in the bed.)

I found a nest of sweat bees in the gas filler door, so now my left arm is swollen up. I'll have to wait a few more days before I can start getting the cab off. :x

I also needed to change the front wheel bearings in my F150. Well, after taking everything apart to get to them, I ended up needing to replace the shocks, CV axles, upper control arms, and lower ball joints. I still need to do rotors and pads, since I couldn't afford any more parts for that project. I've also ended up replacing every single brake line on the vehicle, and having to fight with all four bleeder valves along the way. No rest for the wicked!

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

colinrmitchell wrote:I don't have much to add to the current conversation, so I'll just throw out some of my projects.

I did a head gasket job a couple of months ago on a 2001 Land Rover. It was my first head gasket job, and it wasn't too bad. A couple of the head bolts were tough to get to, being partially blocked by the firewall. The block is aluminum and the head bolts are torque-to-yield, which made me really nervous. All of them went in fine, though! The engine was actually pretty simple. Minimal vacuum lines and electronics. Took around 25 hours, including smoke and beer breaks. A couple hundred bucks at the machine shop for a hot-bath and resurfacing. I threw a new water pump and viscous fan on while I was in there.

I don't even want know what it would take to do the head gaskets in my 1999 Ford F150 with the 5.4L. I can barely even see the spark plugs on the back-most cylinders.

Pictures:

Spoiler:

I started on my planned body-off "restoration" of my 1996 Ford Ranger. I kind of half-assed a lot of the stuff on it back when I wasn't as skilled and patient with this type of stuff, so I want to redo almost everything and also simplify a lot. This vehicle is now off-road only.

Spoiler:
(Yes, there are plants growing in the bed.)

I found a nest of sweat bees in the gas filler door, so now my left arm is swollen up. I'll have to wait a few more days before I can start getting the cab off. :x

I also needed to change the front wheel bearings in my F150. Well, after taking everything apart to get to them, I ended up needing to replace the shocks, CV axles, upper control arms, and lower ball joints. I still need to do rotors and pads, since I couldn't afford any more parts for that project. I've also ended up replacing every single brake line on the vehicle, and having to fight with all four bleeder valves along the way. No rest for the wicked!

welcome to the thread!
i can imagine just from my personal experiences with ford vehicles, plan on alot of money being dropped and alot of frustration ahead.

as far as my vic goes, well, as soon as i get the truck, its getting parked out back to have its rear end fixed, trans partially rebuilt, new paint, and then its off to find a buyer. someone else can deal with it.

its not that i hate the car, it drives quite well. just its expensive as all hell to operate and more expensive to fix.

Return to “General”