The Worst Superpower

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Asthanius

The Worst Superpower

Postby Asthanius » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

Everybody knows that when you're asked what the best superpower is, you're supposed to say "the ability to do anything", and then try to avoid getting punched by your friends for giving such a cop-out answer. But what I want to know is what people think the worst superpower is. Given that with lateral thinking just about any power can at least become competent, it seems likely that there's some power that, while not necessarily useless, is the worst.
So now that you have the basic idea, I want to know what is, in your mind, The Worst Superpower.

Edit: I should add that even if you can't think of a superpower, you can talk about why a certain power would not be useless, or add reason why it would (e.g. inherent restrictions built in to the power).
Last edited by Asthanius on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Does anybody have any idea of what the hell energy is? It's the thing that, when applied to something, gives itself to the thing so that the thing can expend it, applying it to other things in multiple forms of it. What the hell is it?

CLD
be at least somewhat witty

Re: The Worst Superpower

Postby CLD » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

The ability to tell when a thread belongs in Forum Games, and not in General.
Spoiler:
Satea Murua
Episode 1 - Silent Square
Turn 2 taken - Uly, B, Rfuinbeg, Miryllastasia, Jalvier Chaussier, Shyl
Turn 2 waiting - Esteban Bernardo

Frimble

Postby Frimble » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:20 pm UTC

The ones from this show are pretty bad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgQyuI7CzLM

But I'm sure I can think of a worse one. How about the ability to summon a kitten once per year?
"Absolute precision buys the freedom to dream meaningfully." - Donal O' Shea: The Poincaré Conjecture.
"We need a reality check here. Roll a D20." - Algernon the Radish
"Should I marry W? Not unless she tells me what the other letters in her name are" Woody Allen.

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:20 pm UTC

CLD wrote:The ability to tell when a thread belongs in Forum Games, and not in General.

This counts as a forum game? Unless you were actually answering my question, in which case, I have nothing more to say and should stop typing.
Does anybody have any idea of what the hell energy is? It's the thing that, when applied to something, gives itself to the thing so that the thing can expend it, applying it to other things in multiple forms of it. What the hell is it?

CLD
be at least somewhat witty

Postby CLD » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:
CLD wrote:The ability to tell when a thread belongs in Forum Games, and not in General.

This counts as a forum game? Unless you were actually answering my question, in which case, I have nothing more to say and should stop typing.

Usually the more inane the discussion, the more likely it gets moved to Forum Games. But I also legitimately made an attempt to answer your question. Doublespeak for the win.
Spoiler:
Satea Murua
Episode 1 - Silent Square
Turn 2 taken - Uly, B, Rfuinbeg, Miryllastasia, Jalvier Chaussier, Shyl
Turn 2 waiting - Esteban Bernardo

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:08 am UTC

A quick search reveals several similar threads on these fora, including Unimpressive superpowers.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:59 am UTC

I assumed this thread was to be about not super-useless super powers, but more like "blessed with suck" kind of super powers. Something that on the surface seems a totally cool super power but actually has huge drawbacks.

First thing that came to mind was a form of super strength resembling "unstoppability" ala the Juggernaut (bitch). Imagine if to you the entire world felt like it was so malleable it was made of whipped cream, and it felt like your body was proportionally light, so you didn't immediately sink into the the Earth; the whipped-Earth can support your weight as though you were a mere feather, but you can easily reach a hand down into the concrete you're standing on and scoop up and shape and mold a chunk of it like nothing. Awesome, you can reshape and mold any facet of the world you can get your hands on, effortlessly. Gently wave a hand through your enemies heads and scatter their brain-matter like... strawberry whipped creme, I guess? And you can never hold anyone you love ever again, or touch or do anything without being extremely cautious. You have to maintain absolute control and precision at all times and handle every interaction with everything in the world with utmost gentleness and care or else you will simply splatter it all.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

addams

Postby addams » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:42 am UTC

The Hag Fish Superpower.
That would suck.

Sure. It is a Superpower; Not everyone can do it.
All the drawbacks of limited contact with other Normal humans.
Plus; The Psycholoical burden of Knowing not one Wants to touch you;
Except on a bet.

Hag Fish Man! Hag Fish Man!
He can slime you up, like Nobody can.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:46 am UTC

addams wrote:Hag Fish Man! Hag Fish Man!
If the internet has taught me anything, it has taught me this.

Somewhere, someone will pay extra for that. Doesn't matter what the that is, someone is not only really, really, creepily in to it, but they'll give you large sums of money if you can provide it.

This, of course, does veer straight in to Prostitution-land and as such, not all "Thats" are legal in all jurisdictions, but before we even bring sex into it, for completely nonsexual reasons.... someone will pay you good money for that. Whatever that may be.

The trick is matching up your that with the person who wants it and has the money to buy it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:54 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Somewhere, someone will pay extra for that. Doesn't matter what the that is, someone is not only really, really, creepily in to it, but they'll give you large sums of money if you can provide it.

This, of course, does veer straight in to Prostitution-land and as such, not all "Thats" are legal in all jurisdictions, but before we even bring sex into it, for completely nonsexual reasons.... someone will pay you good money for that. Whatever that may be.

The trick is matching up your that with the person who wants it and has the money to buy it.

Poor Hag Fish Man.

Or; An interesting career in Interactive Performace Art.

You are right. Matching Hag Fish man with people that appreciate him would be tricky. That man be a small, fringe group.

I would try to be nice to Hag Fish man. But; Have you seen the slime?
If he is nice enough people may overcome their revulsion.

Still; Hag Fish Man's friends get an extra gold star.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:09 am UTC

Frimble wrote:But I'm sure I can think of a worse one. How about the ability to summon a kitten once per year?

Actually that would be a pretty nice superpower. Especially if they are hypoallergenic.

The worst belongs to...Jane Grey, was that her name? Touch somebody and they die, right? Only useful if you have arch enemies.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:42 am UTC

addams wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:

Poor Hag Fish Man.

Or; An interesting career in Interactive Performace Art.

You are right. Matching Hag Fish man with people that appreciate him would be tricky. That man be a small, fringe group.

I would try to be nice to Hag Fish man. But; Have you seen the slime?
If he is nice enough people may overcome their revulsion.

Still; Hag Fish Man's friends get an extra gold star.

There's a sexual fetish for people covered in slimy, wet, viscous substances. Hag fish man could be a star.

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:
Frimble wrote:But I'm sure I can think of a worse one. How about the ability to summon a kitten once per year?

Actually that would be a pretty nice superpower. Especially if they are hypoallergenic.

The worst belongs to...Jane Grey, was that her name? Touch somebody and they die, right? Only useful if you have arch enemies.
I think you're mixing Jean Grey (telekinetic, telepathic) with Rogue (touch o' death)

It only completely sucks in a world where latex does not exist. Sure, you can't touch touch people, but close enough. Also she really doesn't care as she leaves her face exposed all the time.

And she can turn it off now. And exists in a world where there exists technological devices to temporarily suppress powers. She's a "Woe is me, I'm too awesome" Mary Sue at this point.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:16 am UTC

On the subject of Rogue, I thought up another "blessed with suck" type superpower a while back. Basically the opposite of hers, twerked a little: anything she touches "heals" or "unages" or "undecays", limited not only to living things, and conducting via touch (so if she touches one part of a rusted old heap of a car, not only that part but the whole car gets repaired)... at the cost of her own life-energy.

So as she walks the barren and poisoned ground of some industrial accident or something, in her perpetually-new shoes of course, green grass and beautiful flowers spring up in her footsteps... and she grows more and more weary with every step. To keep herself from just draining all her life-force out into healing the whole world (or as much of it as she has energy for), she has to "insulate" herself in a bubble of things which are already in good condition (thanks to proximity to her if nothing else), and has to be very careful about where she goes outside that nice bubble or what she lets into it, because anyone, anything, or anywhere newly exposed to her will get much better... at the cost of her own health.

And of course all the sick and dying people in the world want to pay her a visit, as well as everyone with an important broken gizmo, widget, or MacGuffin...

teelo

Postby teelo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:16 am UTC

Forum moderation.

*shudder*

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:29 am UTC

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall someone whose mutant power was spontaneously catching fire (like the Human Torch) but without the required secondary power of immunity to fire.
That's pretty terrible.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:58 am UTC

Being supernaturally unlucky. And not like the cop-out unlucky powers some characters have where everything around you is unlucky, thus making bullets miss etc. But the kind where you are so unlucky that just waking up in the morning is a hazard. Murphy's law-style. You probably wouldn't survive for long though. Unless death would be considered "luck" as it would allow you to escape from the curse of your existence.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

yurell

Postby yurell » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:26 pm UTC

I stick by 'immortality' being the worst curse, especially if you're kept sane throughout it.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:34 pm UTC

Frimble wrote:The ones from this show are pretty bad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgQyuI7CzLM

But I'm sure I can think of a worse one. How about the ability to summon a kitten once per year?

Once a year you could visit a retirement home and cheer up all the elderly people.

The only bad part is that it's only once a year. Otherwise, being able to summon a kitten would be great - they are soft and cuddly. Maybe if there was also the condition that at least half the time, the kitten will be evil and scratch/bite people.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:40 pm UTC

My actual super power seems to be whenever I touch a surface I can't see, like the underside of a bannister/rail, or lean against someones desk, LO! I have found gum. Obfuscated gumogenesis.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:43 pm UTC

yurell wrote:I stick by 'immortality' being the worst curse, especially if you're kept sane throughout it.

I think it would be worse if there isn't a Perpetual Youth/Beauty/Health/Regen Power combo mixed in there as well. Think of Mordred from the end of the Justice League episode 'Kid Stuff'.

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Postby scarecrovv » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

pkcommando wrote:
yurell wrote:I stick by 'immortality' being the worst curse, especially if you're kept sane throughout it.

I think it would be worse if there isn't a Perpetual Youth/Beauty/Health/Regen Power combo mixed in there as well. Think of Mordred from the end of the Justice League episode 'Kid Stuff'.

You wouldn't necessarily turn evil. (Doctor Who Series 3 spoiler alert)
Spoiler:
Consider Captain Jack Harkness/The Face of Boe. Blessed/cursed by Rose to live forever, he is effectively immortal, but still ages very slowly. After billions of years of living, he ages from a handsome man who causes every female (and some males) to swoon at his approach, past being old, and eventually into a gigantic face in a vat.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

scarecrovv wrote:
pkcommando wrote:

You wouldn't necessarily turn evil. (Doctor Who Series 3 spoiler alert)
Spoiler:
Consider Captain Jack Harkness/The Face of Boe. Blessed/cursed by Rose to live forever, he is effectively immortal, but still ages very slowly. After billions of years of living, he ages from a handsome man who causes every female (and some males) to swoon at his approach, past being old, and eventually into a gigantic face in a vat.

I was thinking more of his fate after he'd broken the spell keeping him perpetually young. He was still immortal, but all of those centuries caught up with him.
Seen here:
Spoiler:

You'd never die, but your body would continue to age and deteriorate normally*. Losing your mental faculties would be a blessing in that case. However, if you started off knowing that fate awaited you, it would be a hell of a thing.

*- and what's 'normal' once you're looking at human life expectancy in the rearview mirror?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:55 pm UTC

Immortality doesn't necessarily mean invulnerability.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

Even immortality with invulnerability could eventually become a curse.

What if mankind never sets sail for the stars? Then we're all (including you, Mr. Invulnerable) stuck on this planet until the sun burns it to a crisp in however many billions of years, and then eventually collapses and dims itself, leaving you living forever alone with nobody and nothing on a dark barren rock until the Big Rip or until protons decay and then -- wait, you're invulnerable, those things don't affect you -- then you're just floating in COMPLETELY PITCH BLACK EMPTY SPACE FOR ALL ETERNITY.

Even if mankind does eventually set sail for the stars, and you get billions of years to explore the cosmos etc etc... eventually those things will still happen and something like that will still be your fate. You may be immortal, but the universe isn't, and what's the point of living if there's no more universe to live in?

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

What if your intellect becomes ascendant and you are able to fabricate an entire world to live in within your own mind?
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:My actual super power seems to be whenever I touch a surface I can't see, like the underside of a bannister/rail, or lean against someones desk, LO! I have found gum. Obfuscated gumogenesis.

Once, in St. Petersburg, Russia, I was on a train that was about to start moving. The doors had closed and it was like a second from moving, and I didn't have anything to hold on to. So I found some sort of electrical box behind me that was really large, and put my hand on top of it...and learned: never put your hands where you cannot see. Just don't.

20 years of grease got on my hand.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:What if your intellect becomes ascendant and you are able to fabricate an entire world to live in within your own mind?

What if all the world's inside of your head, just creations of your own? Your devils and your gods, all the living and the dead -- and you're really all alone?

(That line and thoughts along these lines lead me to come up with a pretty awesome fictional religion once, wherein the entire multiverse exists because God is a singular infinite intelligence eternally alone with absolutely nothing to do but think and nothing to think about but completely made-up imaginary things, so he makes up stories and fictional worlds, and imagines them from the viewpoint of every character in them, and because he has eternity to do this he eventually imagines in complete detail every possibly variant of every character in every story in every world -- and each of our conscious experiences is just him imagining the story of our particular world through our point of view. We're all just God telling himself stories to wile away eternity. And the higher-level thought process coming up with these stories is carried out as an internal dialogue, and each "author-character" in that dialogue -- the dialogues being entirely about how each story should go -- is the equivalent of a polytheistic god, a god of some abstract concept like war or love or whatever, who is responsible for all iterations of that abstract concept in the world, being one of the "authors" -- one facet of the author's internal dialogue -- that created it).

ShortChelsea
One thousand four hundred and thirty seven

Postby ShortChelsea » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:44 pm UTC

Aside from all of the various torturous ones, I think that being able to sense spiders would be a dumb superpower. I can't see that being strongly useful. It's a "meh" superpower.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

ShortChelsea wrote:Aside from all of the various torturous ones, I think that being able to sense spiders would be a dumb superpower. I can't see that being strongly useful. It's a "meh" superpower.

"My spider sense is tingling! ... There's a spider hiding in that bush!" - "That's great, Spidey, thanks for letting us know."

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

Bacteria telepathy?

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Fire Brns wrote:What if your intellect becomes ascendant and you are able to fabricate an entire world to live in within your own mind?

What if all the world's inside of your head, just creations of your own? Your devils and your gods, all the living and the dead -- and you're really all alone?

(That line and thoughts along these lines lead me to come up with a pretty awesome fictional religion once, wherein the entire multiverse exists because God is a singular infinite intelligence eternally alone with absolutely nothing to do but think and nothing to think about but completely made-up imaginary things, so he makes up stories and fictional worlds, and imagines them from the viewpoint of every character in them, and because he has eternity to do this he eventually imagines in complete detail every possibly variant of every character in every story in every world -- and each of our conscious experiences is just him imagining the story of our particular world through our point of view. We're all just God telling himself stories to wile away eternity. And the higher-level thought process coming up with these stories is carried out as an internal dialogue, and each "author-character" in that dialogue -- the dialogues being entirely about how each story should go -- is the equivalent of a polytheistic god, a god of some abstract concept like war or love or whatever, who is responsible for all iterations of that abstract concept in the world, being one of the "authors" -- one facet of the author's internal dialogue -- that created it).

But what if it is and this being is imaging characters who are entertaining the thought that existence is the imagination of an all powerful being? :shock: Uh oh...
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.

Frimble

Postby Frimble » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

ShortChelsea wrote:Aside from all of the various torturous ones, I think that being able to sense spiders would be a dumb superpower. I can't see that being strongly useful. It's a "meh" superpower.

How about the ability to sense something big or very rare? Like pink elephants?
"Absolute precision buys the freedom to dream meaningfully." - Donal O' Shea: The Poincaré Conjecture.
"We need a reality check here. Roll a D20." - Algernon the Radish
"Should I marry W? Not unless she tells me what the other letters in her name are" Woody Allen.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed May 01, 2013 2:12 am UTC

This reminds me of Cassandra, who could see the future, but was cursed with having no one ever believe her. Rather horrible.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

XTCamus

Postby XTCamus » Wed May 01, 2013 2:28 am UTC

The power to shrink.... one particular body part.... and being Irish to begin with.....

3fj

Postby 3fj » Wed May 01, 2013 8:52 am UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:This reminds me of Cassandra, who could see the future, but was cursed with having no one ever believe her. Rather horrible.

No one believed anything she said or no one believed her when she made "predictions" of the future? Cause that seems like it has an easy workaround.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed May 01, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

Well, as with any one-dimensional fictional character, you don't hear about her unless she's prophesying.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Wed May 01, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:

That is more or less the entire over-arching plot of the "World as Myth" series from Heinlien (basically, all of the Lazarus Long stories).
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Wed May 01, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

3fj wrote:
UniqueScreenname wrote:This reminds me of Cassandra, who could see the future, but was cursed with having no one ever believe her. Rather horrible.

No one believed anything she said or no one believed her when she made "predictions" of the future? Cause that seems like it has an easy workaround.

I don't think it did have a workaround. If I recall, she was cursed in such a way that if she revealed anything that was going to happen in the future, everybody was basically magically forced to reject it. I assume this would expand to writing something down on paper, leaving the paper somewhere, and waiting for somebody to find it.
If a supervillian had this power, that would be amazing. They could tell the police that a crime would be committed at a certain place at a certain time, and no matter how many times this happens, it would be unexpected. "The bank on 4th and Main is going to be robbed tomorrow at 4:30 PM. You will have to increase the security measures."

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Wed May 01, 2013 3:36 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:
3fj wrote:

I don't think it did have a workaround. If I recall, she was cursed in such a way that if she revealed anything that was going to happen in the future, everybody was basically magically forced to reject it. I assume this would expand to writing something down on paper, leaving the paper somewhere, and waiting for somebody to find it.
If a supervillian had this power, that would be amazing. They could tell the police that a crime would be committed at a certain place at a certain time, and no matter how many times this happens, it would be unexpected. "The bank on 4th and Main is going to be robbed tomorrow at 4:30 PM. You will have to increase the security measures."

Ah, yes. But he would have to do it by himself because his henchmen wouldn't believe his plans either.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Wed May 01, 2013 6:35 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:
3fj wrote:

Until he tries it in Gotham and Batman still shows up - just in case. 8-)

Return to “General”