Favourite way to win an argument

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dumbclown

Favourite way to win an argument

Postby dumbclown » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:12 pm UTC

What is your favorite method of winning an argument?

My personal favorite is to ask everyone who has seen the person I am arguing with naked to raise their hand. Then I get naked and ask everyone who has seen me naked to raise their hand. "Fourteen versus two I win, you're wrong". It has never failed.

My favourite way is to edit people's posts to make them wrong, or at least to instill fear. In this case, I'm editing it to make it (gramatically) right, so count yourself lucky.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:13 pm UTC

Has it ever worked?
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:03 pm UTC

Has it ever worked?

LMAO

Favorate way would be by reasoning, but most common way includes my hands.
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:03 pm UTC

i doubt he's done it. has never failed =/= has been tried.
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:15 pm UTC

My favourite way to win an argument?

Be right.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Pero

Postby Pero » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:19 pm UTC

My brother often uses the "say something completely illogical and then leave the room while I'm still stunned by the the aforementioned lack of logic" technique.

I prefer the "actually have a decent argument" strategy myself.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:48 pm UTC

being right.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:53 pm UTC

If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If the truth is on your side, pound on the truth.

If neither are on your side, pound on the table.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:05 pm UTC

"You gonna finish this?"

"What, you mean this argument?"

"Waaaaana split it?"
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

Rasputin

Postby Rasputin » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:06 pm UTC

whenever it's an argument on a forum, I post this to win: http://youtube.com/watch?v=JUZasIB8Sok
The Immortal One.

zenten

Postby zenten » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:32 pm UTC

I prefer the bugs bunny technique, trick the other person into saying the exact opposite of what they mean, then agree with them.

heXiuM

Postby heXiuM » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:51 pm UTC

Favorite way to win: Have an airtight argument the other person cannot refute. Preferably with people watching and laughing at said person.

Having people around backfires if you're on the losing end though.
bad, bad sig. No donut for you.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:00 pm UTC

since we are under the assumption that you are always right Make it obvious how rediculous the opponent is usually the way I go.
Last edited by fjafjan on Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:09 pm UTC

I like stabbing.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:11 pm UTC

"Flat tax is the way to go!"
*stab*
"urggh...."

Yeah I like that
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:29 pm UTC

MORAL HIGHGROUND!!!!!1111
i hurd u liek mudkips???

djn

Postby djn » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:35 pm UTC

Reputable sources directly agreeing with me is always a winner, but only really works when the matter under discussion is entirely factual.

KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"

Postby KicktheCAN » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:41 pm UTC

I like winning by being right, but even that doesn't work around my house. People like my brother just change their argument if they get proven wrong. If I give him actual proof that I am right he just rewrites history and says that is what he said and I was the one wrong, sometimes he has even changed his argument mere moments after stating how wrong I was. It's like I live in some kind of magical realm where the very fabric of logic itself is torn asunder. I wouldn't be surprised if after I hit the submit button my computer turned into a flounder.
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:37 pm UTC

What I hate is when someone's wrong, and they start to realize it, but instead of saying so they just try to end the argument as though they're taking the high road or something. Something like, "Look, this is rediculous, just stop arguing already." I don't mean when you mutually agree to end an argument to keep everyone happy, that's fine, it's when they try to end the argument and still maintain that you're wrong, usually in a really condescending way. Then if you press on, (because you know you're right about this issue) they get mad at you for continuing the argument.

I get that often with adults, I'm disappointed that at 16 I'm still treated with that attitude. If I were treated with valid points instead of condescension, I wouldn't feel so insulted. And I'd like to stress that I do realize adults and parents do know a lot more than I do about lots of things, and are more likely to be right than I am. It's just incredibly frustrating when an argument arises over something incredibly obvious, and adulthood seems to trump actually being right. [/teenage angst]

I'm also one of those people who has a really hard time dropping an issue that's unresolved, which ties in to the aforementioned tendency of people around me to drop issues before they've lost them. Thinking about it, I probably should learn to let go of petty issues, but there's just something inside of me that insists on finding the answer.

athelas
A Sophisticated Plagiarism Engine

Favorite way to win an argument

Postby athelas » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:48 pm UTC

Editing wikipedia

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Re: Favorite way to win an argument

Postby bbctol » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:21 pm UTC

athelas wrote:Editing wikipedia

Oh god, yes. When arguing on IM, I always have a Wikipedia tab open, because we always let wikipedia decide. I don't think any of my friends have figured out yet why I'm always right.

mister k

Postby mister k » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:30 pm UTC

Slowly raising the volume of my voice until the only thing anyone can hear for several hundred miles is me. It always works! Failing that, compare them to hitler.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:38 pm UTC

Another good one is tacking "...Ergo, *flashing your tits*" onto a sentence if you feel the other person is just too stupid to deal with.

Seriously, though, I'm a fucking horrible debater. I really am. Either I look bad having a good position (either my speaking style discredits me, or someone picks apart my appearance, my frequent use of profanity, or some other unrelated flaw that makes me feel worse and start to stammer, which they then comment on until I just don't feel like talking anymore), or I have a bad position only because I was educated improperly on the subject by a bad professor or something. I'm never a poor loser, though.

I admit that, even if I have a perfectly legitimate opinion, I tend to look awful in verbal debates because I clutter and stammer. I'm marginally better online, but people like Aetre have a veritable library of sources that can prove me wrong, which sucks because once I have my hands on good sources, I invariably agree with people like him. I'm a good loser, I just wish I knew what it was like to win an argument because, you know, it'd be nice.

The only thing that upsets me about debates is if someone debates with me, proves me wrong, I'm very gracious about it and start asking them about this thing they know so much about because I like to learn--and then they act like I'm far, far too inferior to be worth the time to discuss things. Some people, I'm convinced, just love to prove people wrong, and therefore hate educating people because that means one less person to insult to make themselves feel good.
Last edited by Khonsu on Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:49 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:46 pm UTC

My favorite trick is to not get into arguments at all. Barring that, I just stare at them creepily until they stop trying to persuade me.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:54 pm UTC

according to some, I win by either sheer force of awesome or being so random as to be incomprehensible.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:01 pm UTC

I don't give up. Ever. Even in the face of logic and evidence.

My strategy: metaphorically pounding them into submission. It either gets me out of having to admit I'm wrong, or gets them to believe I'm right. Even when I know I'm wrong, which is a lot of the time because I pick really stupid things to argue about.

One thing I can't stand is when people bring something outside of the subject at hand. Specifically when they say, "I'm older, I know more, shut up." It's infuriating, especially when I actually am right but they just can't figure it out, their ego overwhelming reason.

lukkucairi

Postby lukkucairi » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:06 pm UTC

annexing the sudentenland

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:29 pm UTC

The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:I don't give up. Ever. Even in the face of logic and evidence.

That's awesome.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

elminster

Postby elminster » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:32 pm UTC

If they dont understand logic; get blinded by emotion alot; are unwilling to change opinions on things; unable to comprehend parts of it; etc... then generally i dont bother. Those almost always end up in being pointless.

I find the average person doesnt look at both sides of the argument enough. Also alot of people suck at logic, which is quite essential to debating and constructing an well formed argument.
E.g. I was trying to explain natural selection to someone who didnt believe in evolution. He didnt understand it, mainly because he was a strong muslim who was taught evolution was wrong. Even though the logical construct for the natural selection argument is very basic ('if A and B then AB' sorta thing).

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:42 pm UTC

Goodness Khonsu, is there anything we're not similar at?

:shock:

I lisp, and stammer (not t-t-t-th-thanks, just a mental lisp), and people make me feel horrible for it, and I was never taught how to debate either.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

KicktheCAN

Postby KicktheCAN » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:46 pm UTC

Insignificant Deification wrote:Goodness Khonsu, is there anything we're not similar at?

I lisp, and stammer (not t-t-t-th-thanks, just a mental lisp), and people make me feel horrible for it, and I was never taught how to debate either.

Mental lisp?

MEGAMERICAN

Postby MEGAMERICAN » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:52 pm UTC

I love it when I win an argument and I know I'm wrong.

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:59 pm UTC

MEGAMERICAN wrote:I love it when I win an argument and I know I'm wrong.

Me too. Especially because when they finally admit they are wrong, you can say, "No, actually you were right. I was just arguing for the sake of arguing."

Anyway, my favorite thing to do is back people into corners, so they insult you or something similar, and then hit them with the you obviously lose so much that your only option left is to attack me rather than argue my points. Gets my sister all the time.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:04 pm UTC

KicktheCAN wrote:
Insignificant Deification wrote:Goodness Khonsu, is there anything we're not similar at?

Mental lisp?

Certain sounds I can't process, and thus can't reproduce.

KicktheCAN

Postby KicktheCAN » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:09 pm UTC

Insignificant Deification wrote:
KicktheCAN wrote:

Mental lisp?

Certain sounds I can't process, and thus can't reproduce.

I know that! I used to have that; for the longest time I simply could not comprehend the difference between R and L so they were all R's. It was really hard for people to know whether I was talking about pilots or pirates. Combine that with a huge stutter and I used to be really hard to talk to. Granted I am still pretty hard to talk to but for completely different reasons.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:40 pm UTC

Rippy wrote:I get that often with adults, I'm disappointed that at 16 I'm still treated with that attitude. If I were treated with valid points instead of condescension, I wouldn't feel so insulted. And I'd like to stress that I do realize adults and parents do know a lot more than I do about lots of things, and are more likely to be right than I am. It's just incredibly frustrating when an argument arises over something incredibly obvious, and adulthood seems to trump actually being right. [/teenage angst]

Dude, I'm 22 and I get that.

Basically, the galactic plane is tangent to the surface of the Earth at two points. That's pretty obvious really, when you look at the geometry. So there are two possible lattitudes you can see the milky way going all the way around the horizon. This woman disputed this, saying you could only see that in the southern hemisphere. Other people have claimed that a planet directly between two stars of equal mass in in a "stable orbit" and that Snell's law applies when entering a lens but not when exiting...

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:55 pm UTC

In regards to the knowing you're wrong but ending the argument instead of admitting that, I'm sure most of us are guilty of the same thing from time to time. If I've gotten worked up arguing about something, it's very difficult for me to completely change gears and calmly admit that I'd made a mistake. I may apologize later, but you'd be hard-pressed to admit it during the argument, if it's gone on for awhile. (Internet arguments are different, because I can more easily refrain from getting worked up in that case and so am actually generally willing to admit when someone's convinced me to change my mind.)

Of course, there are lots of times when I don't really care if I "win" or not. I've argued before with people who are coming at the position from a completely overemotional, non-logical direction. I've had other people criticize me because I'm never going to change these people's minds by throwing logic at them. My response is generally something like, "So? I know this person is an idiot. I was just arguing to help hash out my own beliefs and rationalizations of the matter."
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:18 am UTC

bbctol wrote:

Oh god, yes. When arguing on IM, I always have a Wikipedia tab open, because we always let wikipedia decide. I don't think any of my friends have figured out yet why I'm always right.

Arrrgh! STOP IT!

Be right, or use the Chewbacca Defence.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:31 am UTC

KicktheCAN wrote:I used to have that; for the longest time I simply could not comprehend the difference between R and L so they were all R's.

Have you ever travelled to Thailand? :)

blarg(!)

Postby blarg(!) » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:34 am UTC

recurve boy wrote:
bbctol wrote:

Arrrgh! STOP IT!

QTF

Also, I like the "Aww, baby wants his bottle!"*

*Thanks to Dinosaur Comics

Return to “General”