Playing With Toys as an Adult

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

addams

Re: Playing With Toys as an Adult

Postby addams » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:15 am UTC

pkcommando wrote:LEGOs + alcohol = Awesomeness. Doubly so the next day when you survey your star-houseboatcopter-ship.

When it comes to toys I just think of my favorite Doctor Who quote: "There's no point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."

Fun? oh. Fun is so important.
What would be the point if not for Fun?

In the United States, today;
The difference between Childish and Childlike
is a Conversation that Needs to take place Over and Over.

I think it is Important.
When I came from those word meant very different things.

Dr. Who was a great guy, from what I understand.
It would be funny for him to allow himself to be Childish.
He was a mature, relaxed, competent adult, most of the time.

I heard many times: Be Childlike; Not Childish.
The difference is important.

Childlike wonder in a competent adult is Charming.
An adult may know about light waves.
An adult may know how much water weights per cup and per gallon and per liter.
An adult may know where the Lodging is.
An adult may have a bunch of very practical stuff running around inside its head.
Some of that stuff may be Overdressed and some of that stuff may be Naked.

That adult is Childlike if that adult can stand in wonder with others that don't know what day it is nor what time of day it is nor the name of the Planet.

There are other adults. ech. Adults. They are adults. They have money. They are big. They know what day it is. They know what time of day it is.
Many of those people may be insulted if you ask what the name of the Planet is. Childish? Or; Frightened adults?

Well? jeeze. Some people. Some people take themselves very seriously.
Childish? What is Childish? Those Women?! You know; Those Women?

Men are Childish, too. Most are Childish, boys.
Girls go Bad, often. ick.

Sometimes it is difficult to tell Childish from Fed Up.
Not everyone likes to get dirty. Girls get all weird.

Boys don't notice, at first. Well? oh.
Childish vs Childlike.

We can aim for Childlike and be kind to one another when we miss and hit Childish?

I think it is time to talk to one another about The Difference. There is a Difference.
We are Too Fucking kind to a bunch of spoiled Childish adults!

Childish people are Selfish people.
Childish people are Self Centered people.
Childish people throw temper tantrums.
Childish people are manipulative.
Childish people are Childish and that prevents Children and Others from being Childlike.

How?
Childish people do not clean up when there is a mess.
By the time I have cleaned up behind some Assholes the Childlike Creativity, Curiosity and Joy have been knocked out of me.
Making a mess is often a Childlike thing to do. Refusing to take any responsibility for that mess is Childish.

Little Children will acknowledge, "We made a mess. We better clean it up."
It is so funny and cute to see that kind of behavior in both adults and children.

People are funny.
Some messes we can clean up.
Other mess we can not clean up.

The innocence of a child.
So great! Adults have it, too!
Then they get a little experience.

It is the Childlike Optimist!
Even with experience it is the Childlike Optimist that says,
"We will clean it up, in no time. It can't be as bad as last time. We cleaned that up; We'll clean this up."

Clean up is as much fun for the Childlike person as Mess up was.

The difference between Childlike and Childish is important.
The Dr. Who charater was a burdened adult.
If under those conditions an adult allowed himself to be Childish; It is ok.

If under easy conditions, if as a matter of course, if by both convention and cultural conditioning a person is Childish.
Well......With a four trillion dollar debt we may not be able to afford Childish people? Tough! Our people are Childish, anyway.

Women worse than men, as usual.
Men today worse than most women, when I came from.
The least we can do is find someplace where those Childish adults are not Boss.
There is no place where those Childish adults are not Boss?

I get irritated with people. That is because no one likes to play with me. waaaa!
Can you blame them?

I, sort of, have high standards for play.
I like to write down a plan.
Then do something else.

That is play, to me.
"What are you doing?"
"Sir; We are Messing up The Beach."

"Your orders are to clean The Beach."
"It was clean when we arrived; Sir." "We are messing it up. I expect to run over time. It is a Big Beach."

Let Me Be Buzz! I would be a good Buzz.
It does not come naturally to me. But; But, I can Learn!
I know most of the Lines.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:17 am UTC

And there are the toys that I love-things like bubble guns, and puzzles and model trains, the wooden ones, and marble raceways.
Why should I not play with my bubble gun, just because I'm 53? The ability to still see the niftyness of bubbles is a grand thing. Being able to see wonder in the world around you keeps you sane and connected to that world.
Being an "adult" implies being serious about serious things. Now you have no time for frivolous play, now you have to work to earn your bread, or (in the context of the biblical quote) go off to war with some group of heathens or another. It also implies that you assume a certain amount of responsibility for yourself and your life. You can control your responses to things and so on.
But the whole idea that daydreaming is useless and has less value somehow than "creating" is bollocks. Ask any artist how much of their creative energy is spent in that state, gathering and refining ideas. It's not like you can get them from a mail-order place outside Schenectady, NY.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYz2wyBy3kc

The way it was explained to me: "We stand on the shoulders of Giants."
That was in Science. And; In Government stuff.

In our imaginations we are not standing on Anyone.
Buzz was, just, lucky?
Buzz was, just. pretend.

If you could? If you could; Would you play with me?
I will let you win.

Your game and you get to win.
What? Why not?

You want to win, Fair and Square?
ok. I know someone you can play against.

If you live; Then will you play with me?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Becani

Postby Becani » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:06 am UTC

Someone mentioned warhammer and other model like stuff. That can be really fun, and is often seen as an adult-like activity. I found the painting to be terrific, and playing with the actual models is loads of fun, they're just bloody expensive. :\

Makes me think of playgrounds, and how frowned upon (and sometimes even criminalized) it is to play on playgrounds as an adult. It really sucks that (at least where I live) it's not socially acceptable for someone to be on a playground unless they have kids of their own. I miss them. I loved climbing up and all over stuff and playing with tunnels and castles and.... yeah. We need playgrounds for adults. I know they do kinda exist, if you look in the right places, but playgrounds built for adults are expensive. The playground next to the school or by the community center? Free of charge. It's a really sweet deal, and I miss it.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:40 am UTC

My approach to life is simple; we are not mollusks. Or crustaceans. Or any other type of shelled animal.

...what I'm going with this metaphor is I don't believe life exists in distinct stages. I do not think there are predetermined times when we shed our old shell and don a new one, leaving the old behind. I believe we have layers. You start out with a core. As you age and advance in life you develop layers.

The key to life is being able to decide which new layers to adopt and which to ignore, and which layers to keep and which to shed.

And I believe keeping the good of childhood--the imagination, the playfulness, the creativeness, a bit of the carefree, is important, while at the same time shedding the bad (tantrums, for instance). At the same time we must adopt new layers, responsibility, for instance, while ignoring ones like adult snobbishness towards our past.

And development is not about sacrificing the joy of childhood for the adult yoke of responsibility. Development is about making the two compatible.

Return to “General”