Quiz night questions that can't be googled on a smart-phone

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

MisterH

Quiz night questions that can't be googled on a smart-phone

Postby MisterH » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

Hi Guys,

I need some help picking questions for a fund-raising quiz night, but I'd like ones that are difficult/impossible to look up on a smart-phone. There will be up to 200 people taking part so it may be impossible to catch these cheaters (There are no Raptors available that can be trained or genetically modified to eat mobile phones in time)

I have access to a projector and sound system (The quiz is taking place in an auditorium) so I can do music and picture rounds etc.

I also plan to have physical challenges for bonus points with a strong teamwork dependency - ie. first team to inflate 6 balloons (5 members in a team), first to find a card in a deck etc - any suggestions for this type of activity would also be very helpful.

Does anyone have any suggestions for formats or strategies that are cheat-proof please?

Many thanks for your inspiration - Rob

PolakoVoador

Re: Quiz night questions that can't be googled on a smart-ph

Postby PolakoVoador » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

What is the level of knowledge expected, and possible categories for the quiz?

MisterH

Postby MisterH » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

It's an airline IT department and there are quite a few quiz buffs around. So the level will be fairly high.

D.B.

Postby D.B. » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

How about looking up some Jeopardy! questions? Sometimes they're too trivia based, but if it involves a pun, or some common property a set of otherwise dissimilar objects possess, then you might be able to adapt them. Things like "A flight is a series of these unbroken by a landing" for example, I suspect will probably cause problems for smartphone warriors.

Answer for those playing at home:
Spoiler:
stairs

Edit: Bah. While i did google that question to check it wasn't immediately searchable I didn't think to take a look at page 2 of the results, which gives the game away. Stupid getting smarter search engines...

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:16 pm UTC

D.B. wrote:How about looking up some Jeopardy! questions? Sometimes they're too trivia based, but if it involves a pun, or some common property a set of otherwise dissimilar objects possess, then you might be able to adapt them. Things like "A flight is a series of these unbroken by a landing" for example, I suspect will probably cause problems for smartphone warriors.

Spoiler:
stairs

Edit: Bah. While i did google that question to check it wasn't immediately searchable I didn't think to take a look at page 2 of the results, which gives the game away. Stupid getting smarter search engines...

Second page? To me it's the first result. It links to this.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:17 pm UTC

You can try for things that are hard to Google in a short span of time, particularly ones that involve synthesis of a few facts. Or ones where there's a lot of misinformation on Google, so anyone doing a quick search is likely to find the wrong answer.

Some ideas, a few of which were stolen from a trivia quiz I ran a few years ago:

In 1990, which known planet was furthest from the Sun?
Spoiler:
While Pluto was still classed as a planet until 2006, between 1979 and 1999 its orbit brought it closer to the Sun than Neptune. 1990 was also two years before the first extrasolar planet discovery was announced, so the answer is Neptune.

What word is the subject of songs by Pink Floyd, ABBA, the Rolling Stones and Monty Python?
Spoiler:
Money

By what name is Ramón Gerardo Antonio Estévez better known?
Spoiler:
Martin Sheen

On what household object would you find a "punt"?
Spoiler:
Wine bottle

What is the technical term for the covering at the end of your shoelaces? (And other questions on the same theme, e.g. a baby platypus or echidna - or a cross between a pug and a beagle - is a "puggle", sudoku means "single digit", etc.)
Spoiler:
Aglet
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

D.B.

Postby D.B. » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:12 am UTC

brenok wrote:
D.B. wrote:How about looking up some Jeopardy! questions? Sometimes they're too trivia based, but if it involves a pun, or some common property a set of otherwise dissimilar objects possess, then you might be able to adapt them. Things like "A flight is a series of these unbroken by a landing" for example, I suspect will probably cause problems for smartphone warriors.

Spoiler:
stairs

Second page? To me it's the first result. It links to this.

Including the quotation marks makes a huge difference. With them it goes to the j-archive page where I got the question, first result, like you said. Without them it fumbles about with other things and only starts mentioning stairs on page 2 (and never links so said webpage). I only tried the latter.

Unless it's returning the source page for you even without quotation marks. In which case I'd say personalised search results strike again.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:02 pm UTC

ConMan wrote:Some ideas, a few of which were stolen from a trivia quiz I ran a few years ago:

Spoiler:
While Pluto was still classed as a planet until 2006, between 1979 and 1999 its orbit brought it closer to the Sun than Neptune. 1990 was also two years before the first extrasolar planet discovery was announced, so the answer is Neptune.

To me this seems like a question people will get right by accident (thinking pluto wasn't considered a planet then) or by looking it up since the information is so precise.

Spoiler:
Martin Sheen

Putting that name into google (even without the accents), the first hit is the answer (along with a picture of him on the sidebar).

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

Picture questions are good. A pub quiz I went to recently had a round where they handed out a sheet with pictures of ten or fifteen politicians and made each team try to name them all. Obviously this could be done for just about any group of people or things (musicians, famous buildings, dog breeds, whatever). Of course this isn't completely immune to googling (you can always check your answers via google) but it's at least somewhat more difficult, especially if you put a relatively tight time limit. It also gives you some room to vary the difficulty, for example this pub quiz had a range of politicians from those anyone who paid any attention to the news would recognize (Barack Obama, Mitt Romney) to those who anyone who paid specific attention to politics would know (Paul Ryan, John Boehner) to those who only the truly committed political junkies would recognize (Everett Dirksen, Strom Thurmond). That way the truly knowledgable got to show off their knowledge, while the less knowledgeable weren't left feeling like idiots.

MisterH

Postby MisterH » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

Thanks to everyone for all the help - some really good tips so far!

olubunmi

Postby olubunmi » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:47 pm UTC

A round of song fragments without lyrics/with the lyrics edited out out.
Or fragments of famous speeches (guess the orator) or news broadcasts (guess the event).

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

olubunmi wrote:Or fragments of famous speeches (guess the orator) or news broadcasts (guess the event).

Don't you think that'd be too easy for anyone with internet connection? If a speech is famous enough to be recognizable, it should come very early on a Google search.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

Have images of troop movements, and guess the war its from!

Or topo maps, with all the names removed. For fun, rotate them away from North Up. (or is that too evil?)
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Cleverbeans

Postby Cleverbeans » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

Another strategy could be to ask question you expect the audience to know immediately so that looking it up on your phone would take longer than the typical response.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln

teelo

Postby teelo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

Why not just fit the building with a cellphone jamming device? The sort of thing they use in prisons.

MisterH

Postby MisterH » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:29 pm UTC

teelo wrote:Why not just fit the building with a cellphone jamming device? The sort of thing they use in prisons.

Remember I mentioned it's for an airline, and thus fairly close to the airport/flight path. Not too sure any kind of jamming device would be a good idea there...

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

teelo wrote:Why not just fit the building with a cellphone jamming device? The sort of thing they use in prisons.

Because operating one of those is a federal crime. Even prisons get in trouble for it if they're too close to a populated area or major roadway.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
ConMan wrote:Some ideas, a few of which were stolen from a trivia quiz I ran a few years ago:

Spoiler:

To me this seems like a question people will get right by accident (thinking pluto wasn't considered a planet then) or by looking it up since the information is so precise.

But the precise wording is also going to make them second-guess themselves, especially if they only have about 30 seconds to work it out - to confirm the right answer, you have to both check what year Pluto was demoted, then find out about the orbit issue, and confirm that 1990 was during that period. A lot of people will just assume that you're choosing the year to be before the demotion and pick Pluto.

Spoiler:
Martin Sheen

Putting that name into google (even without the accents), the first hit is the answer (along with a picture of him on the sidebar).

Yeah, not as great an example. Good if they have no cellphone access, because there's probably equal chances of picking Emilio or Charlie. It helps if the name is one that they're likely to mess up typing when they search for it, too.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:06 am UTC

ConMan wrote:You can try for things that are hard to Google in a short span of time, particularly ones that involve synthesis of a few facts.

Quite a few years ago I made up a game I call "Odd Couples" that uses that principle. The object of the game is to discover the identity of two famous people who happen to share a surname, having been told their first names. The two people should not be related by blood or marriage. If necessary, additional clues can be given, eg, the occupations of the two people, what era they were prominent in, what country / region they came from.

Eg, Nigel and John.
Clue:
Spoiler:
Musician and politician.

Answer:
Spoiler:
Kennedy

MisterH

Postby MisterH » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:49 am UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:Quite a few years ago I made up a game I call "Odd Couples" that uses that principle...

oh I like that one!

teelo

Postby teelo » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:

Because operating one of those is a federal crime. Even prisons get in trouble for it if they're too close to a populated area or major roadway.

Non-American master country reporting in.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:49 am UTC

MisterH wrote:

Remember I mentioned it's for an airline, and thus fairly close to the airport/flight path. Not too sure any kind of jamming device would be a good idea there...

"Everyone, before we begin tonight's trivia game, please place your cell phones in this bin"

tendays

Postby tendays » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:38 am UTC

(Just remember that if you take precise questions people suggested in this thread (as opposed to questions inspired by them), googling will bring people to this thread! :) (maybe you should have asked in Faid?))
<Will> s/hate/love/
Hammer wrote:We are only mildly modly. :D
Beware of the shrolymerase!

teelo

Postby teelo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:43 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:
MisterH wrote:

"Everyone, before we begin tonight's trivia game, please place your cell phones in this bin"

"And your other phone! Yup, you're all airline workers, you have more than one phone. Now place your laptops in this other bin here. Your tablets/ipads too. Okay, and finally, place your third emergency phone you all have tucked in your socks into that bin there. Next, everyone needs to step through this scanner..."

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:18 am UTC

Perhaps have an "all hands above the table during the answering period for a question" rule. In short, don't use your phone.

In the end, I believe it's mostly a question of sportsmanship.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:32 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Perhaps have an "all hands above the table during the answering period for a question" rule. In short, don't use your phone.

In the end, I believe it's mostly a question of sportsmanship.

We used to go to a trivia/quiz night at a bar every week back in University. It was a simple honor system of no cheating using your cell phone to look things up and did work out pretty well. The prize was only a round of beer though. I imagine as the prize gets bigger the amount of cheating would increase.

teelo

Postby teelo » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

Next Question: If someones chooses to not not not not not not not not not not not not not cheat, are they cheating?

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

teelo wrote:Next Question: If someones chooses to not not not not not not not not not not not not not cheat, are they cheating?

Yes. Because anyone who was not cheating would not need so many "nots". Only a cheater would resort to such subterfuge.

teelo

Postby teelo » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

OP only asked for questions, not answers. If you include the answers, then they can be googled by finding this thread!

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

Oh, well, in that case, just ask how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Return to “General”