INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:51 pm UTC

Cheese wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Hi Cheese!
Hi Sex­yTalon!

You'll get the delivery next Tuesday. Meet me behind the old van.

Yg'tg pq uvtcpigtu vq nqx
Wpq vkgpg swg rtgiwpvctug nq swg ncu kornkecekqpgu uqp fg guvq.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:14 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Cheese wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Hi Cheese!
Hi Sex­yTalon!

You'll get the delivery next Tuesday. Meet me behind the old van.

Yg'tg pq uvtcpigtu vq nqx
Wpq vkgpg swg rtgiwpvctug nq swg ncu kornkecekqpgu uqp fg guvq.

Hey! What's the etiquette on using substitution ciphers in a public forum? It's like stage-whispering on a bus!

K'o xgta fkucrrqkpvgf kp aqw.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Gelatin Golem

Postby Gelatin Golem » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:31 am UTC

Hi, I'm Gelatin Golem. (first post, woohoo, but you already knew that, right?)

So, what happened is that the username I wanted was taken already, so I underwent username drift again. That's why my name is so weird.

I like physics, music, and dessert, and I live in that weird corner of the world everyone wished would detach from its continent sometime soon:
Spoiler:
(California, that is)

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:59 pm UTC

Gelatin Golem wrote:Hi, I'm Gelatin Golem.
We have another golem on this forum.

I would be wary.

He is poisonous.

And green.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:11 pm UTC

He's inorganic, though. It'll be nice to have an organic golem about the place.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:19 pm UTC

Gelatin is organic? Since when?
See Ya Space Cowboy...

Hyphe

Postby Hyphe » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:22 pm UTC

Since forever; it's made from animal collagen (it's both an organic chemical and a substance derived from living things, so no arguing there). The vegetarian alternatives aren't technically gelatin. :P

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:19 pm UTC

Gelatin Golem wrote:I like physics, music, and dessert, and I live in that weird corner of the world everyone wished would detach from its continent sometime soon: (California, that is)

Why would anyone want California to detach from its continent?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Gelatin Golem

Postby Gelatin Golem » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:04 am UTC

Hyphe wrote:Since forever; it's made from animal collagen (it's both an organic chemical and a substance derived from living things, so no arguing there). The vegetarian alternatives aren't technically gelatin. :P

Stop applying real-world logic to a fantasy concept. D:<

Monika wrote:
Gelatin Golem wrote:I like physics, music, and dessert, and I live in that weird corner of the world everyone wished would detach from its continent sometime soon: (California, that is)

Because Californians are weird? (I don't know because I was exaggerating, and the one person I've heard say that was kidding.)

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:17 am UTC

Monika wrote:

Because secretly we all hope internet memes will become true? wtf mate?!
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

feckless

Postby feckless » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:24 am UTC

Hello,

I'm feckless, both generally and when it comes to simple lurking.

Thus I post.

See you around.

:p

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:12 am UTC

Monika wrote:
Because according to the State of California, California gives you cancer.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:15 am UTC

Gelatin Golem wrote:
Monika wrote:

Because Californians are weird? (I don't know because I was exaggerating, and the one person I've heard say that was kidding.)

But but but ... everybody likes California and wants to go there. That would be so much more difficult if it seceded from its continent. At least if it did Atlantis-style.

benjhuey wrote:
Monika wrote:
Because according to the State of California, California gives you cancer.

What :shock:

LostInBrittany

Postby LostInBrittany » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:21 pm UTC

Hi all!

I'm LostInBrittany. Well, it's not my true name, as you can imagine, but a (rather fitting) nickname, because I'm a Spaniard living in Brittany (western corner of France).

I'm Electronics Engineer and PhD by education, and Software Engineer by trade (not many possibilities for Electronics guy here, so I switched to Informatics).
I'm 32 (soon 33) years old, I'm divorced and I have a daughter.

I have a blog, with drawings and articles, but it's in French.

I read XKCD since 2006, but I never thought to join the forum... until today.

Why ? Because of the Dead Trees. Or rather, because of the dead tree edition of XKCD, that I learnt from the NY Times interview. But that's another story, for another post.

Vincent91

Postby Vincent91 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:17 pm UTC

Hey everyone,

As you probably can tell from my username, my name is Vincent. I am a 17 years old student in Software Engineering (Just finished first year) at the University of Ottawa. I live in Quebec, Canada and, just like most Quebecers, speak french as well as english. I've been reading XKCD and the fora for a bit, but never had much to say so I kept from registering.

I run Arch Linux and believe in vim. Also, I prefer fluxbox to any other window manager. I avoid proprietary software as much as I can and can often be seen preaching about Free Software. Talking about religious wars, I am an atheist (Take a look at my avatar...) and am particularly interested in free thought and reasoning.

I plan to keep studying after my major in Software Eng., probably in computer science or mathematics. Ultimately, I aim for a PhD, but am still far from it.

That's about it. See you all on the fora.

Jos

Postby Jos » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:55 pm UTC

I thought FSM'ers weren't aethists, but that that was a religion of it's own?
philsov wrote:Internets is a gift to Jos.

littlebuddy wrote:hmm... I wonder if I should call rule 34 on that hammer moderator, she probably has nice legs.

Vincent91

Postby Vincent91 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:01 pm UTC

Well, I see it as a parody of religion, which fits just perfectly with my atheism. The Open Letter To Kansas School Board is, to me, obviously sarcastic just like most of the pastafarian beliefs, most of which originate from this letter.

Maybe some people do actually believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster (What's the difference between that and the other religions with no empirical evidence?), but I think most FSM'ers are, just like me, atheists with a sense of humor.

Jos

Postby Jos » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:54 pm UTC

Taht might very well be true. Infact, I as an outsider, believe ti is so. But a believer must never admit it! that takes all the religion out of the word (...not!) FSM'ism!

littlebuddy wrote:hmm... I wonder if I should call rule 34 on that hammer moderator, she probably has nice legs.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:05 pm UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:Hey! What's the etiquette on using substitution ciphers in a public forum? It's like stage-whispering on a bus!
K'o xgta fkucrrqkpvgf kp aqw.
The etiquette is to not be annoying about it, and recall that someone here will break it, just because.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:15 pm UTC

*whispers* Talon, I think she's coming on to you man...
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:09 pm UTC

Ogxgt okpf, K'nn lwuv ujwv wr pqy. :oops:
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

maycelestia

Postby maycelestia » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:22 am UTC

Uh, for some reason I gave the intro thread a miss when I first signed up so here I am now, half a dozen posts later.

My name is Eliza or Libby, and my username comes from an old internet handle which I lack the creativity to replace. I'll be 17 in about 37 days and attend high school in Perth, Western Australia. I've been reading xkcd for some time and have tried numerous times to spread it around to friends, but sadly wasn't very successful. My self-introductions are usually lame and rambling, and I totally didn't base the format for this post off Vincent91's.

I am very interested in linguistics, both in general and in terms of learning individual languages, though at the moment I have only formally studied Indonesian and dabbled in German, Mandarin, Japanese and Serbian. Psychology is also something I want to study further.

My hobbies include reading, learning languages, translating, crochet, baking banana loaf, and exploring the internet.

So hi everyone, and I hope I can get involved on the fora! :)

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:48 am UTC

Welcome Maycelestia :) .

Come over and visit us in the German-speaking thread!

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:03 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:The etiquette is to not be annoying about it, and recall that someone here will break it, just because.

Eqwnf jcxg cv ngcuv lwodngf vjg ngvvgtu wr.

"Cv pq rqkpv yknn K gxgt lgcrqtfkug vjku tgncvkqpujkr..."
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:54 pm UTC

Blokey wrote:
GraphiteGirl wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:The etiquette is to not be annoying about it, and recall that someone here will break it, just because.
Ogxgt okpf, K'nn lwuv ujwv wr pqy. :oops:

Eqwnf jcxg cv ngcuv lwodngf vjg ngvvgtu wr.
"Cv pq rqkpv yknn K gxgt lgcrqtfkug vjku tgncvkqpujkr..."

In order.

I'm sorry.

and

The Caesar Cipher is a classic. You don't mess with the classics. Unless you first translate it to Spanish then run it through a Caesar Cipher.

Zwbo Fiu Ojpk

phineasQ

Postby phineasQ » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:53 am UTC

Hi all, my name's Phineas. I've been lurking these fora for a few weeks now, and have really enjoyed nearly every thread I've seen. There's a number of times when there were things I wanted to say, but wasn't quite sufficiently compelled to go through the commitment of registration. I've finally decided to take the plunge, now, so let me just say thanks, guys, for providing the opportunity to read from such a complex, entertaining community of thinkers.

Also, curse those who develop captcha technology that utilizes but refuses to clearly differentiate between the round characters. I contend that it's way more likely a robot would have the training to know the differences between melted zeroed and ohs than any human.
People are animals, too.
Bad yet comprehensible grammar is nothing compared to disingenuous speech - my most least favoritest thing.

dalahäst

Postby dalahäst » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:43 am UTC

Hi. xkcd reader for a pretty good while *adds "xkcd" to Mac OS X spelling dictionary, I'm tired of this*, 14 years old, guy, California, in 2009 National Spelling Bee and competed there last year as well, music, computers, and linguistics geek (in no particular order), etc. Ask questions and they shall be answered, I hate rambling on with a bunch of information that not everyone is even going to care about. :)

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:06 am UTC

phineasQ wrote:Hi all, my name's Phineas

Is it your real name or is it a nick?
(I thought J. K. Rowling made that name up, sorry.)

Also, curse those who develop captcha technology that utilizes but refuses to clearly differentiate between the round characters. I contend that it's way more likely a robot would have the training to know the differences between melted zeroed and ohs than any human.

I, BEING A B0T, C0NCUR.

---------------------------------------------------------

dalahäst wrote:Hi. xkcd reader for a pretty good while *adds "xkcd" to Mac OS X spelling dictionary, I'm tired of this*, 14 years old, guy, California, in 2009 National Spelling Bee and competed there last year as well, music, computers, and linguistics geek (in no particular order), etc. Ask questions and they shall be answered, I hate rambling on with a bunch of information that not everyone is even going to care about. :)

Hi :) . Why did you chose an ä for your avatar? What languages have you learned?

phineasQ

Postby phineasQ » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:14 pm UTC

Monika wrote:Is it your real name or is it a nick?

Not my real name, but the person who created the nickname was insistent that it fit well enough to be my god-given name. All the better for him, I guess, since playing along with the catchy title could add weight to any claim of self-deification he'd choose to make. Most of my friends of that era use 'Phineas' exclusively in their dealings with me, and more than once I've met people and known them for weeks before I notice they haven't heard any other name for me.

Monika wrote:(I thought J. K. Rowling made that name up, sorry.)

No offense taken. There aren't many famous Phineara to draw a reference from. In fact, I can only think of one non-fictional person I've ever heard of in conversations of this sort. The four occurrences I've heard of are Phineas Gage, that Rowling character (which I know very little about), Phineas from Phineas and Ferb *sigh*, and a bit character from Family Guy that rides a giant bicycle.
People are animals, too.
Bad yet comprehensible grammar is nothing compared to disingenuous speech - my most least favoritest thing.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:23 pm UTC

dalahäst wrote:Ask questions and they shall be answered, I hate rambling on with a bunch of information that not everyone is even going to care about. :)
Well, welcome, but I'd like to say that some of us quite enjoy reading the intro thread and getting to know a bit about new people. However, I know how hard it is to write something that contains the interesting stuff but doesn't go on and get tl;dr'd (and I've got no good questions, heh), so I'll find out more from you when I see you around!
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Jos

Postby Jos » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:19 pm UTC

dalahäst wrote:Hi. xkcd reader for a pretty good while *adds "xkcd" to Mac OS X spelling dictionary, I'm tired of this*, 14 years old, guy, California, in 2009 National Spelling Bee and competed there last year as well, music, computers, and linguistics geek (in no particular order), etc. Ask questions and they shall be answered, I hate rambling on with a bunch of information that not everyone is even going to care about. :)

So you are californian? Swedish roots or something?

dalahäst

Postby dalahäst » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:05 am UTC

I was wondering how many people would say I'm Swedish. :) No, I'm actually not Swedish. Well, I don't think so… I know a few words of it, of which "dalahäst" (a Swedish children's toy, usually red or black and in the shape of a horse) is one, and from which the "ä" comes. I speak English and Spanish as first languages, a little bit of Portuguese, would like to learn more than a few words of Japanese, and can understand a smattering of other things. I can write in several different scripts (including Greek and Cyrillic), too.

Jos

Postby Jos » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:27 am UTC

Then why the swedish name? there's probably a bunch of cooler ones from other languages. Also, you'r avatar happens to be the trademark (I suppose that is the word) of a swedish eco-friendly food chain.

dalahäst

Postby dalahäst » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:25 pm UTC

Have you ever seen HippHipp? They did a series of skits called Svenska för nybörjare that taught random and impractical phrases with exaggerated pronunciation, with pictures for each one. One episode had [dahlaheistahr] (dalahästar), [khewgootah] (tjugoåtta), and [khewgootah dahlaheistahr] (tjugoåtta dalahästar) in succession. I thought that was funny and went "Hey, that would make a good username."

evilbobthebob

Postby evilbobthebob » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:36 pm UTC

Sweden...I like that country. Visited a year ago, to Stockholm. Nice city.

On topic. 18 year old guy from England, specifically North Shropshire. Currently studying for my A-Level exams in May/June. Physics, Maths, ICT, Business Studies. I want to go and study Astrophysics for 4 years after my gap year (badly timed really. Stupid recession.) then move into maybe a Phd, maybe research, or whatever else interests me by then. I've dabbled in programming (C++) and never achieved much. I found xkcd when some of the cartoons were linked to on another forum. Within two days I've read all of them and now I've joined the fora (That's what you seem to call it) because you all seem like a bunch of interesting, friendly people.

That's about it.

Oh. My name isn't actually Bob. But you can call me that :)

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:45 pm UTC

What do you do for gap year? Why is it a problem to do it during recession?

evilbobthebob

Postby evilbobthebob » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:47 pm UTC

I intend to get a job, earn some money. But I doubt I'll find a job, so it will be a wasted exercise. And there's no way I can afford going abroad...I can't get any of those grants because my parents are over the limits, but not by enough to make it financially viable.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:11 pm UTC

evilbobthebob wrote:I intend to get a job, earn some money. But I doubt I'll find a job, so it will be a wasted exercise. And there's no way I can afford going abroad...I can't get any of those grants because my parents are over the limits, but not by enough to make it financially viable.

Why not get a job somewhere in Europe? Not so expensive to get there.

evilbobthebob

Postby evilbobthebob » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:32 pm UTC

That is a possibility I suppose. I'm not sure how my qualifications would transfer though, and there's my lack of language knowledge. Plus I have to find accommodation etc. If I was going to do that, I would have organised it a few months back...I've limited myself really. It's very good of you to try and help, but it's a bit late for me to significantly alter my plans. Well...I'm not sure. I need to research it all more. :?

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:41 pm UTC

Speaking English could be sufficient. At my place of work here in Germany there are people from other countries who don't speak German. I also know Germans who have worked in France without much knowledge of French, they could do their job in English there. In France also EU citizens can apply for money to help pay the rent. Don't go to Paris though, it's way too expensive. People who were in Sweden also said they could get by with English there.

Return to “General”