Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

theoldbean

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby theoldbean » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:20 pm UTC

Hello! My name is the Old Bean, a follower of the comic and a humble nerd of an Australian variety. A gentleman at heart and a teacher by qualification, I do enjoy rambles, improvisation and hats. Oh and waistcoats generally. I also like puns and Doctor Who, but not necessarily in that order. This forum looks quite wonderful and I enjoy rambling in its hollow halls.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:45 pm UTC

Oh, a gentleman :) . Be welcome!
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

faye159

Postby faye159 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:15 pm UTC

ok, so i've just read the guide for newbies.

so this is supposed to be the first post huh? at least i've only posted about three posts before this. ^__^

Here goes..

i'm a 17-year-old female student from the philippines.
i've only been active yesterday. i tried to register and found out that my desired username is already in use. so i logged in with that username and my most common password..... and hey! i've been a member for 7 months now! :D

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:41 pm UTC

LOL ... such things happen ;) Welcome, or welcome back, whatever you prefer.

Lizabeff

Postby Lizabeff » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

Hi :D I'm Lizzie and I am 15. I hate writing about me because it always ends up sounding like I'm trying to write an essay. So, basically I'm female - honestly, how many male Lizzies do you know? - and I currently live in England, but I just moved from Wales where I have spent most of my life :) I speak Welsh and English fluently. I also use smilies way too often and I am currently trying to stop. So hello!

JW94

Postby JW94 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:04 pm UTC

Hi! Long-time lurker here. I've found these fora to be a great source of assorted knowledge, but I haven't taken the initiative to register until today. :oops:
I enjoy learning new things, especially if they're interesting. :D

So yeah, that's me. :P

sethicus
Winner

I RETURN!!!

Postby sethicus » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:02 am UTC

Keeping it short. Writing on a tablet. I have returned. Handwriting recognition is great but not enough space. I think I will submit to the interview thread. Most of you won't recognize me, but Some of you old-timers might. Did I mention I have returned?
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

‎Cheese

Postby ‎Cheese » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:30 am UTC

Hiya sethicus. Remember the name, remember that I got your avatar mixed up with a similar one, don't remember much else. Also heey to Lizzie and JW!
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

L.B.

Postby L.B. » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:39 am UTC

Hello there. Well, this is terribly awkward. Uhm, yeah. Not so sure what to say here... My name is L.B, as I'm assuming you can guess. I'm twenty five and from Calgary, Alberta. Really, what else is there to know? I like things and stuff, stuff and things. I'm a book nerd at heart, but a TV nerd in practice, which is exceptionally odd now that i don't own a TV. So that sums that up, and now i go stand in the corner till i come up with something better to say. Ayuh, sounds about right.

WazirKnightBishop

Postby WazirKnightBishop » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:45 am UTC

Hello. I am 13 and I live in Hong Kong.

I like a lot of stuff:
[*]Chess
[*]Science
[*]Math (esp. pi)
[*]Writing Stuff (I'm working on my own conworld)
[*]Animaniacs
[*]Transformers
[*]Other stories

I will soon have a website.

I am quite suspectable to utterances that no one understands. My username is one of them. I also have a Wikipedia account.

I guess that's all for know.

Also, how do you put bullets into this?
~~~~

Save Point

Postby Save Point » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:46 am UTC

Lizabeff wrote:honestly, how many male Lizzies do you know?

I went to a Catholic all girls high school. I know a LOT of Lizzies, including myself =P

But welcome! I feel weird saying that, considering I registered like a week ago.

Thraktor

Postby Thraktor » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:21 pm UTC

I've been lurking long enough, I figure it's time to become an official poster and post an intro up here. Here goes:

I'm a 22 year old Maths student in Trinity College, Dublin by the name of Owen. My avatar's a photo of myself, if you're wondering what I look like. I seem to spend most of my free time procrastinating on the internet (although I suppose that doesn't really count as a hobby). Other than that I play videogames, drink coffee and ruminate on life. I was also a fairly avid fencer (sabre) but haven't been training as much recently as I'd like. I have an obscure disease, I'm related to Ernest Walton and I buy a lot more books than I ever get around to reading. I write a blog on politics, economics and my general rambling thoughts on whatever's got my attention.

I first came across xkcd many moons ago, although to be honest I can't quite remember when. I signed up for the forums after I was lurking for a while and suddenly felt the need to write a 3000-word essay on the Singaporean health system in response to a thread I was reading. As you can see, I can be quite verbose. My favourite xkcd strip is probably 530, the basis of which I tried to use to get my brother's Mac mini to start talking to him, only to find out that remote login is disabled by default on OSX :( .

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:29 pm UTC

WazirKnightBishop wrote:Also, how do you put bullets into this?
You have to put List tags around the entire list, kinda like so:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

[list]
[*]Chess
[*]Science
[*]Math (esp. pi)
[*]Writing Stuff (I'm working on my own conworld)
[*]Animaniacs
[*]Transformers
[*]Other stories
[/list]
...to produce something like this:
Spoiler:
  • Chess
  • Science
  • Math (esp. pi)
  • Writing Stuff (I'm working on my own conworld)
  • Animaniacs
  • Transformers
  • Other stories
多么现在棕色母牛?

apprendista

Postby apprendista » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:42 am UTC

And so it begins.

acb

Postby acb » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:03 pm UTC

Hello, guess I should have posted in here first! I just graduated with a maths degree and before starting my job am having fun doing everything I haven't had chance to over the last couple of years. I like maths (obviously), science, history, politics, am tempted to try and learn a language, and various other bits and pieces. This seemed like the best place on the internet to talk about all of those things and more, so here I am.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:01 pm UTC

Thraktor wrote:I've been lurking long enough, I figure it's time to become an official poster and post an intro up here. Here goes:

I'm a 22 year old Maths student in Trinity College, Dublin by the name of Owen. My avatar's a photo of myself, if you're wondering what I look like. I seem to spend most of my free time procrastinating on the internet (although I suppose that doesn't really count as a hobby). Other than that I play videogames, drink coffee and ruminate on life. I was also a fairly avid fencer (sabre) but haven't been training as much recently as I'd like. I have an obscure disease, I'm related to Ernest Walton and I buy a lot more books than I ever get around to reading. I write a blog on politics, economics and my general rambling thoughts on whatever's got my attention.

I first came across xkcd many moons ago, although to be honest I can't quite remember when. I signed up for the forums after I was lurking for a while and suddenly felt the need to write a 3000-word essay on the Singaporean health system in response to a thread I was reading. As you can see, I can be quite verbose. My favourite xkcd strip is probably 530, the basis of which I tried to use to get my brother's Mac mini to start talking to him, only to find out that remote login is disabled by default on OSX :( .

Hi Thraktor-Owen, who is related to a science-Nobel-prize winner and writes lengthy posts on socio-economical-political issues :) . Buying more books than ever being able to read sounds very familiar ;)

acb wrote:Hello, guess I should have posted in here first! I just graduated with a maths degree and before starting my job am having fun doing everything I haven't had chance to over the last couple of years. I like maths (obviously), science, history, politics, am tempted to try and learn a language, and various other bits and pieces. This seemed like the best place on the internet to talk about all of those things and more, so here I am.

Hi acb :) . What languages do you know already and which one would you like to learn?

acb

Postby acb » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:18 pm UTC

Thraktor - your blog looks interesting, I'll give it a read when I have time. I also subscribe to the philosophy of buying books that kick around for ages before I get a chance to open them! I just got a degree in maths too, do you have any idea what you want to do with yourself afterwards?

Hi Monika :) I am not all that linguistic really, apart from English I know a bit of French and a little bit of Russian. I took a years course in Russian 4 years ago which I enjoyed for the first 6 months, but then the pace picked up and I got a little bit lost. I think I might pick that up again, as I have all the course materials still. Unfortunately I don't have anyone to practise with in real life, but I suspect all I will be using it for is for reading so maybe that won't be too much of a problem.

I am tempted by German, although I don't know any I do know people who speak it so that might be helpful. You have any advice?

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:56 pm UTC

Well, German is prettier than Russian 8) . And maybe a bit easier. Not necessarily on an absolute level, but it's more closely related to English, so many basic words can be guessed. And not having to read/write cyrillic makes it easier, too. On the other hand, swearing in Russian is much more impressive. :twisted:

Uskozo

Postby Uskozo » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:07 pm UTC

Hello

I'm a student in social science living in the wonderful city of Montreal, Canada. I'm interested in all kind of things, that being said I'm especially interested in news, politics, philosophy and science. English is not my first language, as you may have noticed (French is in case you're wondering) so I'm not intending to post too much on forums because echochamber writing standards are well beyond what I can contribute. But I really enjoy reading some of the threads so I figured I would register anyway in case I have something interesting to say.

bwd18

Postby bwd18 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:20 pm UTC

Hi my name is Brian. I am 18, from Tennessee, and just graduated high school about a month ago. In the fall i will be starting college at Tennessee Tech and i am planning on majoring in chemical engineering. i am really not all that interesting :|

tweetics

Postby tweetics » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:15 pm UTC

I don't know how I didn't see this before, but just so I can kinda say "hiya" officially now.

I am jason, 31 and currently living in washington state. I work for the government, am a proud dad, a decent cook and I draw a webcomic (that, unfortunately does not involve stick figures). Love reading anything by Terry Pratchet, Neil Gaiman and Sherman Alexi. I am a former DJ in the rave scene so still love electronic music and I love a great quirky movie.

/wave

IAmSerge

Postby IAmSerge » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:16 am UTC

Hey, you guys can call me Serge, as I am not prone to divulging my name over the likes of the internet.

I joined because I like xkcd, but more of the reason behind my joining was to find out if anyone in the fort worth, TX area did geohashing?

I looked up the ft.worth area on the xkcd wiki, but it didn't really give any information as to if anyone still did it there.

So, nice to meet you guys... and not much else to say!

Thrillho

Postby Thrillho » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:36 pm UTC

I've been browsing the forum for years now, and I figured it would be in my best interests to register and contribute to the XKCD community, rather than simply always lurking.

I am finishing my university degree in business in Canada, and see myself contributing largely to the General, Serious Business, and News boards.

I'm looking forward to getting to know the forum over the next few weeks!

Feddlefew

Postby Feddlefew » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:03 pm UTC

Hello.

Long time lurker, finally not lurking. Erm...

In a nutshell:

-I'm Female.
-I love cats.
-I have Asperger's Syndrome, so sometimes I have a hard time with social stuff.
-My spelling is an abomination. No, seriously. Without the aid of a spell checker this would be completely unreadable.

Also:
-I have a strange obsession with filling large spaces (think rooms and houses) with packing peanuts, crackers, marshmallows, cheese doodles ect.

I think that's an okay intro.
My spelling is abysmal. Just saying.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:54 pm UTC

Hi Feddlefew :) . Cats rule! How did you choose your nick? Are you into math, science, computers, linguistics or something else?

Feddlefew

Postby Feddlefew » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:50 am UTC

Hi Monika!

In order, It's the name of my D&D Gnome Spellcaster (what kind varies from campaign to campaign), and I love biology and am attempting to learn how to program.
My spelling is abysmal. Just saying.

puhnitor

Postby puhnitor » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:19 am UTC

Hello,

Long time reader (of the comic), first time poster. My nickname is Sci, male, 23, living in mid-Missouri, though spending a lot of time over the next few months in Southern CA due to work. I've been a net lurker for a long time now on almost all of the sites I visit regularly, so I thought it's time to participate in some conversation, and XKCD seems like one of the more intelligent places to converse.

I read Reddit, play video games, work out, and travel. I work as a chemist, though I can't really say more due to nondisclosure. I can say that my job has been taking me out of the lab more often to travel to California to set up an Electronic Document Management System for one of our clients. I'm also trying the Twitter thing all the kids are raving about, username is the same as the name I registered with here.

at0m

Postby at0m » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:23 pm UTC

I've been reading XKCD for years, but I just registered to post a picture of a car with an interesting license plate. Hopefully it won't be deleted.
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none. -Sun Tzu

C.B

Postby C.B » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:48 am UTC

I've been lurking for a while but was inspired to register/post by the job hunting thread, due to resonance with my own situation; I'm a recent physics graduate looking forward to unemployment. I keep my spirits up by writing dodgy sci-fi and hunting for the tastiest pizza in the city.

Dave the Explosive Newt

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:27 pm UTC

Like a lot of others here, I'm a student - although after six years of university and 23 years of life I am nearly not a student any more! I am a final year medical student (one year away from being a doctor - wahoo!), enrolled in Queens' College at the University of Cambridge. When I'm not doing cool stuff like assisting with heart surgery or performing a lumbar puncture, I like to let my creative side out with some comedy - writing it, acting in it or even producing and directing a show. I also like to let my vegetative side out with some fine dining, drinking or coffee with friends. Or just watching the telly.

Two of the following are true:
- I have experienced zero gravity
- I have written a book that has sold thousands of copies worldwide
- I once fell into a pool of stingrays
- I was once a hair model for shampoo
"Clevinger, the Corporal and Colonel Korn agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything." - Joseph Heller, Catch-22

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:03 am UTC

I'm going to guess Zero grav and pool of stingrays.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:08 am UTC

My guesses are the same.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:36 am UTC

I'm going with shampoo and sting rays.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Dave the Explosive Newt

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:48 am UTC

Book and stingrays. Well tried though.
"Clevinger, the Corporal and Colonel Korn agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything." - Joseph Heller, Catch-22

mickyj300x

Postby mickyj300x » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:02 am UTC

and what is this "book" you speak of?

Dave the Explosive Newt

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:43 pm UTC

Adam182

Postby Adam182 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:02 pm UTC

Hi my name is Adam, i was a member of this forum before but i forgot my username and password so here i am again :)

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:36 pm UTC

Adam182 wrote:Hi my name is Adam, i was a member of this forum before but i forgot my username and password so here i am again :)

You could try to find your previous intro post 8)

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:43 pm UTC

5/10
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:49 am UTC

^ the signature above me has grammatically invalid Latin. Other than that:

"My dearest brother is a graphic artist and musician, whose interests include, in non-particular order, [quasi-]incestuous business with me - his most beloved sister -, linguistics, black ambient, lolicon, ‘emo-black metal’, writing rants about everything he hates [...] irritating his little ignorant sister with incredibly complex math formulas[sic], British English and cute little Asian girls. Currently he is working on several projects. æon nought can be described as cellar-like black ambient, with tortured screams and dreamy soundscapes. emotion:i:void is a DSBM and dark ambient project with samples in his own constructed language Rakharniadjirn. The last project I will mention here is also my personal favourite, Lajlia, a project mainly dealing with dreams and nightmares, childlike innocence and hopes. Most of his projects saw the light of day after he studied physics and mathematics for a year, and failed terribly because he is too awesome. His appearance as a dark figure in a black robe with long fingers sticking out of the sleeves might be somewhat intimidating (as for the long fingers: investigations on his DNA are still running. My brother may be a hybrid of some sort, crossed with a long-fingered alien that can play the piano virtuously and make mister Soerjadi wince) but in fact my brother is a highly sensitive person, [aptly able] to read your mood and emotions through a chat screen. Apart from his extremely high intelligence and numerous artistic abilities he also has a superb sense of humour and he is very talented in making fun of stereotypes. Bookings and reservations cannot be arranged."
^ :/

Return to “General”