Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

joshz

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby joshz » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:08 pm UTC

Psycho Goose wrote:Oh, I love the trombone. I just hate how my personal trombone doesn't have the best of slides.
"Stuck" was a bit of a pun. I just explained the joke. I will now commit hari-kari.
Ah. I assume you tried lubing it?

Wait, joshz -- do you play the trombone?
Yup. I am normally in my school's Jazz Band, but couldn't be this year because of scheduling conflicts.
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

Psycho Goose

Postby Psycho Goose » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:13 pm UTC

Hell yes. This board is, indeed, full of tromboners.

And yes, I've tried lubing it. It's got a tiny little dent in it though... not enough to keep it from working, just enough to keep it from working optimally.
Mother Superior wrote:Go to Checkov's guns on fifth. But be careful, any gun he shows you is liable to go off at some point while you're in the store.

joshz

Postby joshz » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:17 pm UTC

Ah, that's annoying.
How much would it cost to repair something like that?
Or could you do it yourself using a blunt instrument of some kind?
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:54 pm UTC

Psycho Goose wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:There's Gary. And Lake Superior. And Chicago. I'm pretty sure you can see Chicago from Indiana. Also, trees.
No, that's Russia you can see.
Indiana, not Tennessee. Sheesh.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Codie

Postby Codie » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:23 am UTC

Hi, I'm Codie and I am new here.

Raptortech97

Postby Raptortech97 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:12 pm UTC

Hi, I am new here. I got's me's blog, therefore me's am
Last edited by Belial on Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no links before five posts

Esperite

Postby Esperite » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:17 am UTC

Hello, I'm Esperite (based off of the MtG Shards of Alara sub-plane, esper.) I am 16 year old. I've posted a few things on this forum already, and before that I lurked the forums for a while. I forget how I got into this comic, but I thought (and still think) it was (and is) awesome. All of xkcd has definately hit a chord with me, because I relate to the community and comics very well, even on many of my weird quirks. I look forward to spending more time at xkcd!
"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
— Oscar Wilde

crazzycat

Postby crazzycat » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:19 pm UTC

Hello i am Odry1 I am 25 years old and live in Hawaii!!!Nice to meet you all! :D

Zivel

Postby Zivel » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:01 am UTC

Psycho Goose wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
balt11t wrote:I'm Taylor. I'm in the band at the high school here in DeKalb. Play Mellophone in the marching band, French Horn in Concert band, learning how to play the marimba for winter drumline, and trumpet for jazz ensembles. Quite a load there! Band is basically the biggest priority in my life, but two and three are computers and math, respectively. I live in northern Indiana and if you've ever wondered what else there is to see here besides corn there is nothing... I am being totally serious...
There's Gary. And Lake Superior. And Chicago. I'm pretty sure you can see Chicago from Indiana. Also, trees.
No, that's Russia you can see.

Also -- wow you are a band geek. I used to be too. Still am at heart. And the french horn is awesome -- but I got stuck with the trombone.

Meow! I'm Zivel and I'm also a band geek! I play vibes in my HS's marching band.

Machine

Postby Machine » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:54 am UTC

Hello, I'm Andrew. I'm a 17 year old living in Goodyear, AZ. I've been lurking here for almost a year, and I figured I should start posting.

Psycho Goose

Postby Psycho Goose » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:04 am UTC

Zivel, do you mean "vibes" as in "vibraphones?" Because if so, awesome. That's one instrument that I've always wanted to pick up.
So if you don't mean "vibraphones" then we can't be friends.
Mother Superior wrote:Go to Checkov's guns on fifth. But be careful, any gun he shows you is liable to go off at some point while you're in the store.

kapojinha

Postby kapojinha » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:00 pm UTC

Andrew, you are about 120 miles south of where I will be in about a year's time. Oh, yeah, and welcome. :P
"My desire for knowledge is intermittent, but my desire to bathe my head in atmospheres unknown to my feet is perennial and constant."

JPF1234

Postby JPF1234 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:52 pm UTC

Hi guys just signed up this forum is fantastic

Zivel

Postby Zivel » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:23 am UTC

Psycho Goose wrote:Zivel, do you mean "vibes" as in "vibraphones?" Because if so, awesome. That's one instrument that I've always wanted to pick up.
So if you don't mean "vibraphones" then we can't be friends.

Vibraphone it is, and friends we are.

Grokker

Postby Grokker » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:52 am UTC

Hey, I'm Grokker. I'm 17 years old(and just like two months from 18) and I just started my first year at college in North Carolina(Duke University, if anyone cares).
I've been reading xkcd for a while, and just recently started lurking on the fora. The average intelligence and quality of discussion 'round here seemed generally higher than most of the other places I'd been on the internet, so I thought I'd join.

Let's see, random stuff about me:
I like the internet a lot, and I spend way too much time on it(I have over 20,000 stumbles on Stumble Upon). I most especially love webcomics, I read way too many.
Other than the internet, my favorite forms of entertainment are reading(fiction, SFF mostly. My favorite books would be anything written by Matthew Stover and Fight Club) and watching TV shows(I generally just try to watch the good stuff, like Firefly, Arrested Development, and Pushing Daisies).

So anyway, expect to see a post or two from me in some threads in the future.

[Also, about the name: it comes from the Heinlein book Stranger in a Strange Land. I'm only somewhat of a Heinlein fan, but I really did love the concept of 'grokking' things(to grok something is to understand it and all it's aspects completely)]

nerdynunchucks

Postby nerdynunchucks » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:16 am UTC

Ah, the formalities (no pun intended).

I am, as you can see, nerdynunchucks (or NerdyNunchucks, or Nerdy, or NN, whichever you prefer). The name came about when, as I was registering for something or another, I couldn't for the life of me get a name without numbers attached. I hate numbers when they're random and unintentional. So, in a fit of frustration and inspiration, I got nerdynunchucks. People either love it or hate it...

As far as 'me' goes, I am, obviously, new here. I am a fan of xkcd, penny-arcade, starslip, evil inc., chainsawsuit, and various other daily webcomics. I also visit slashdot, I used to have a WoW account (it's suspended due to lack of funding :( ), I've played RuneScape (hate it; boring), and I love my GBA (although, what I wouldn't give for a DS...)

I am going to college soon, majoring in History, planning to get a Ph.D in Russian History.

Am interested in practically everything, although my Science subjects are a bit dim (but there, definitely there.)

I thank you for reading my ramblings so patiently.

Glad to be here.

mathbard

Postby mathbard » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:29 pm UTC

Well, my name is Jessica and this is actually my second post. I started reading xkcd in late 2007/early 2008 and have kept up with it since then. I hadn't been to the forums before because I read xkcd through Google Reader -- no link to the forum there. But I got the book, and I had to comment on the page numbers, so... I joined the forum. It's going to take me ages to catch up. :( But it will all be interesting. :)

I was a math major, and intend to be one again, but that was interupted by joining the Army to pay for the BA. Eventually, I want to teach math. But for now, math takes a backseat to Iraq. :( Oh, well, I still have internet and can read xkcd, among other sites. :)

Sonic132

Postby Sonic132 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:45 pm UTC

Well, I figure for my ninth post i'll post in here.
Names I go by in varying forums and places, in order of how far back I remember having used them:
Sonic132(originally my brother's screenname),Reideemedsux(originally my bro's Runescape account)Galbatorix, Inflatable Gorilla, Golden Chocobo, and AcidChocobo.(Will add more if I think of any)

Long time lurker, new to posting, obviously.

I am 18, male, and live in corpus christi, texas.

I play PS3, PC, and Nintendo DS games.

Can't think of anything more to post.

edit: Oh yes, and i'm currently obsessed with all things vocaloid related.(google is your friend)

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:00 pm UTC

Psycho Goose wrote:Say, how do commit hari-kari anyway? Gah.

You take a short sword, push it into your stomach, and pull it up so that your inner parts spill out. Sheesh, don't you know even the most essential things?

;)
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Sonic132

Postby Sonic132 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:36 am UTC

So desperate to start the "is it seppuku or harikari" debate.
...Must... resist...

flyby

Postby flyby » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:13 am UTC

Hey Everyone,

I'm Flyby, your stereotypical teenage male, except not. I'm 17, in high school in NC. In general, I get along with everyone, which results in me being a little bit of everyone, albeit at different times.

I guess I decided to join the forum because I really like xkcd, and of course because: discussion+intelligent people=good

Sadly, my volume of knowledge is lacking in many areas in which I have an interest... so I may be dumb at times, but you'll have to forgive me.

I'm currently interested in philosophy, music most people haven't heard yet and linguistics.

Lastly, I often lack the time to commit to being a serious poster on a forum, but I promise I won't post until I've done the research to make sure I'm not wasting anyone else's time.

Psycho Goose

Postby Psycho Goose » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:24 am UTC

Sonic132 wrote:So desperate to start the "is it seppuku or harikari" debate.
...Must... resist...
I don't know the difference. Please enlighten me. Oh God what have I done I have created a monster...

Bliop

Postby Bliop » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:45 am UTC

Hi everyone! I'm Justin, hailing all the way from the sunny tropical forests of Malaysia. Yes, we do have internet access over here. =) I'm 13 years old, studying at high school and doing quite well too.

This is a great forum, nice for wasting time when I'm not studying/swimming/coding/serving in the church. Great community, from what I've seen in the Forum Games thing. =) Nice meeting you guys!
Boo!

Outchanter

Postby Outchanter » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:54 am UTC

Sonic132 wrote:edit: Oh yes, and i'm currently obsessed with all things vocaloid related.(google is your friend)

I was reading about that a while back. To me it sounds a bit less realistic than EWQL Symphonic Choirs, but maybe a solo voice is just inherently more difficult to fake.

Psycho Goose wrote:
...Must... resist...
I don't know the difference. Please enlighten me. Oh God what have I done I have created a monster...

Japanese pronunciation, meet Chinese pronunciation.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:52 am UTC

Psycho Goose wrote:
...Must... resist...

Just stabbing a sword into your tummy and cutting it open = harakiri.
Additionally your closest friend cutting your head off so you won't suffer (and making it all ceremonial, proper month-long preparation, proper clothing and the like) = seppuku.
Actually calling a seppuku a harakiri is kind of offensive, as it implies the seppuku wasn't executed properly, thus the honor of the samurai's family honor was not reinstated.
Faking the stomach-cutting part is acceptable, showing even the tiniest bit of pain is not.

###################

flyby wrote: I'm 17, in high school in NC.

Hi flyby from ... Northchina? ;)

I'm currently interested in philosophy, music most people haven't heard yet and linguistics.

What kind of philosophy are you into? Which languages have you learned?

###################

Bliop wrote:Hi everyone! I'm Justin, hailing all the way from the sunny tropical forests of Malaysia. Yes, we do have internet access over here. =) I'm 13 years old, studying at high school and doing quite well too.

This is a great forum, nice for wasting time when I'm not studying/swimming/coding/serving in the church. Great community, from what I've seen in the Forum Games thing. =) Nice meeting you guys!

Hi Bliop :) . What programming language[s] do you code in?

mickyj300x

Postby mickyj300x » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:08 pm UTC

flyby wrote:

What music? I'm always up for learning of new music.
Oh and welcome.

manmantong2000

Postby manmantong2000 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:51 pm UTC

Hi! My friend give me this site over facebook, said the comic are funny and wanted me to check them out.

He made an understatement.

====

I have a Eee PC, but unlike hackers and programs like you all I am unable to work with Linux, thus I installed an customized Window XP SP2 instead (less than 700 mb). Best window for netbook I say.

====

I am currently attending my second year in college as Chemistry major, and planning on working in the forensic science field and work on my master, I think.

Nice to meet you all and hope we will have a great time = )
"Me no speak English" makes perfect sense.

Thrin

Postby Thrin » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:06 am UTC

Hi there I made my second post so I would feel guilty if i didnt fill this out now.

Hi im Thrin im a biology kinda guy, lurked here for a while and as ive just made a panicy post im doing this to pass the time until some wonderfull person responds.
Im in the UK and im 19 going on twenteen, studying Biomedicine.

manmantong2000

Postby manmantong2000 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:57 am UTC

Thrin wrote:Hi there I made my second post so I would feel guilty if i didnt fill this out now.

Hi im Thrin im a biology kinda guy, lurked here for a while and as ive just made a panicy post im doing this to pass the time until some wonderfull person responds.
Im in the UK and im 19 going on twenteen, studying Biomedicine.

Hey there~ I just joined this forum today too (in fact you can see my intro post on top of yours), hope we will have fun together = )

UK is always a fantasy to me = 3

strake

Postby strake » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:01 am UTC

I have been reading xkcd for a while now, for it has continually proven itself a superior comic; I hope that this forum will prove similar.

I have far too many interests to list here, but I'm sure that ye'll all ascertain them soon enough.

In any case, hail, comrades!

ᴨ !314159

Postby ᴨ !314159 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:12 pm UTC

Hey all, I've been reading xkcd for as long as I can remember, and recently began lurking around the fora. I'm a 19 years old university student of information theory and mathematics, and a FOSS and linguistics geek in my free time - English is my third language, so I'd just like to plead incompetence in advance of any cases of misunderstanding, since I've no experience with it besides the internet.

AnonymX

Postby AnonymX » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:23 pm UTC

I just discovered xkcd and have been catching up on the archives. I think you now owe my employer 2-days wages!

Great stuff!
AnonymX wrote:
Belial wrote:This is the new intro thread.

The old one, now that it is restored, is locked and archived for posterity.

For those who are new here, introduce yourselves. Let us know who you are, what you're into, what you do. We want more than just an a/s/l, though that's a good place to start.

This is partially to give us mods confirmation that you're not a spambot (they're clever, it can be hard to tell), but also just so we users can track back and find out who you are, once we start seeing you around the fora.

So get to posting.

As of 9/25/07, the Intro Thread has gone Global. It will appear at the top of every forum, but I swear it is always the same thread. So there's no excuse to be missing it, and no reason to be asking why there are so many! -lanicita

Don't post links in this thread other than perhaps your favorite comic or some such thing. - TheTankengine

New users are no longer required to post in this thread.

By the way, I'm not a SPAMbot ... just so you know.

Not A Llama

Postby Not A Llama » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:36 am UTC

Hi, I am not a llama.

I should probably clarify. I am a perfectly normal human who shares your genetic makeup and morality. My interests are local agriculture, whining that my house is messy and cooking roughly 238 meals per day. I have a vanload of children, 2 goldfish and some guy who lives here.

Apparently Anonymous

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:43 pm UTC

Not A Llama wrote:Hi, I am not a llama.

I should probably clarify. I am a perfectly normal human who shares your genetic makeup and morality. My interests are local agriculture, whining that my house is messy and cooking roughly 238 meals per day. I have a vanload of children, 2 goldfish and some guy who lives here.

Love the username.
Oh, and the rest of your intro isn't bad either.

Menlo

Postby Menlo » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:50 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Menlo.

Standard age for a freshman university student just out of high school, male, United States.
I'm currently a freshman at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville studying Computer Science and Mathematics.

I've been a longtime reader of XKCD, and I apply the mindset it so brilliantly verbalized to my daily life with what is likely far too high of a frequency. I love forums in general, and have come to find these boards as well as those on Something Awful to host some of the best insights into other walks of life as are available on the Internet. I've lurked here for a while, but to be perfectly honest, what finally has made me post is a search for a paper topic in a field that seemed right in line with you brilliant xkcdians (posted in the School board). I figured it would be good to post here and introduce myself.

In classic icebreaker fashion: my favorite books are Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson, Catch-22, by Joseph Heller, and, of course, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Favorite films include The Matrix, The Blues Brothers, Wall-E, and several others. I know not what I don't know at this point, but so far I'm really enjoying computation theory and the kind of philosophy that ties in with Computer Science. I figure that studying math and CS will help me garner the skills and understanding for both the application of CS (programming) and the study of its theory (with the implications on life that follow from it). While subject to change, I aspire to become a research professor in either CS or a related field. I'm all over the place on music (though I admittedly tend toward the mainstream of whatever genre I'm into at the time); I enjoy classical/orchestral music, some big band, I like classic rock, I respect bluegrass very much, and I am probably a bit too into techno (goa, breakbeat, DnB, etc.). I like to think of myself as a friendly fellow, try my best to smile and uphold the time-honored traditions of basic chivalry, and seem to be constantly accelerating my status as a hopeless romantic at heart. I prefer wearing subdued clothing, use 0.5mm pencil lead, and dual-boot XP and Ubuntu (the labs at our school run Ubuntu, so it's convenient).

That just about does it (for me, anyways); I look forward to conversation with you all and am proud to finally call myself a registered member of the forums of XKCD.

wiggles

Postby wiggles » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:48 am UTC

Hi all!

My name is really quite meaningless, since I got this cool nickname "Wiggles" and now no one actually remembers what my name is. So we will stick to that, I think. I'm 18, male, study accounting, economics and finance at university (first year), like long walks on the beach till the sun sets and waste my time on the internet like there is no tomorrow! I am absolutely obsessed with music, but not like most whereby I fall in love with a particular band or genre or era. I cannot even comprehend what my favourite band is, so please no one ask. I listen to practically everything, and the only music which really gets to me is Disney music. I don't mean the soundtrack to Aladdin or anything, because quite clearly, that was amazing. I mean the monstrosity which is the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus, and other than that, I can't think of any other music that I dislike.

Apart from just listening to music, I am also a guitarist who likes to fiddle around with every other instrument or aspect of music, no matter how badly. Once, I borrowed a trumpet over the summer holidays...my parents almost killed me. I have a piano which is over 150 years old which I picked up off the side of the road for free...it is impossible to have tuned, so that on top of the trumpet really made my 'rents mad. Actually, I think that is probably what I do best, really piss my parents off.

That's another thing. I am completely ill-obsessed with facebook. I average 12 status updates a day, and love to complete quizzes that really have no relevance to me whatsoever. Like who my celebrity crush is, finding out that the quiz is actually constructed for girls. I still continue to answer questions about whether I would wear a floral dress, plaid skirt, or leather and chains to a first date though...

I also overuse ellipses, and have struggled so far to keep its use down to...well four now.

Other than all that, I don't know what else to say about myself. I guess there is no better way to find out stuff about me than through what I post on the fora, so I shall let that begin.

Later!

MooglesLord

Postby MooglesLord » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:55 am UTC

Hello, Moog here! *waves*

I'm the ripe old age of 19 and living in the not-so-exiciting state of North Carolina, about an hour east of Raleigh. I just finished my Associate's degree at the local community college, as well as some IT certifications (A+, some Microsoft, and first Cisco) and still looking for work -_-

I've been reading the comics for about 6 months now, but never noticed the forums link at the top til a few days ago. Then in my obliviousness (is that even a word?) I totally passed over the introduction thread without seeing it until now. So here I am!

I'm pretty much your stereotypical geek/nerd. I read fantasy and a little sci-fi, love working on computers (as in, taking them apart), and enjoy learning about other cultures, or whatever random thing becomes my new obsession. I'm also a huge fan of movies like Evil Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Kung Pow: Enter the Fist, and other cheesy, hilarious, or offensive movies. I'm also a casual gamer, Guitar Hero being the only game I'm overly competitive at, though I play a little Halo 2, and a Lot of Final Fantasy, Kingdom hearts, and older Sega Genesis era stuff. As proof that I can get caught up on really random things, I put down my Chemistry homework, and started looking up information about the habitats of wild turkeys. Yes, yes I AM weird like that.

As far as music, I'll listen to anything that sounds good to me. Mostly I stick to classic rock, 90's alt, 80's pop and rock, and a little metal and grunge as well as classical and techno. I love game remixes, and game soundtracks, especially for games I've played, as there's the nostalgia factor. Currently my 3 favorite bands are Silversun Pickups, Nightwish, and Godsmack.

Anyway, I'm not really sure what else to say other than HI. Looking forward to good times ahead! ^-^

Felix_the_Stat

Postby Felix_the_Stat » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:24 am UTC

Hi xkcd fora,

I'm a 21 year-old male studying various humanities and music at a small liberal arts college in northern-ish Wisconsin. I've been reading for a few years and have lurked on other less-reputable fora and have decided to join a real community.

I speak Spanish, little Japanese, can dance tango and play the trombone. I'm interested in media studies, especially as it relates to music and video games. I'm always trying to learn something new. Right now, I'm trying to learn about modern music production techniques and scratch dj-ing/turntablism.

I'm also busy all the time. We'll see how much I can contribute.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:39 pm UTC

How many is a vanload?

Not A Llama

Postby Not A Llama » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:39 am UTC

Monika wrote:

How many is a vanload?

Just 3, but all still in carseats.

Return to “General”