Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

CueBall

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby CueBall » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:28 pm UTC

YO yo yo.

So why the veganism?
Spoiler:
Zohar wrote:Cueball is being generally hilarious today.
Sungura wrote:Cueball, I...I...
<3
Box Boy wrote:Now let us wait for the outcome of CueBall's fight to the death!

Jossarian

Postby Jossarian » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:07 pm UTC

I'm a philosophy student from Yorkshire, England. But I try not to think about that too much. Cool points if you can work out my user name. :)

CueBall

Postby CueBall » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:08 pm UTC

Jossarian wrote:I'm a philosophy student from Yorkshire, England. But I try not to think about that too much. Cool points if you can work out my user name. :)

It's Jossarian! :D
Spoiler:
<3

Lord Aurora

Postby Lord Aurora » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:57 pm UTC

Jossarian wrote:I'm a philosophy student from Yorkshire, England. But I try not to think about that too much. Cool points if you can work out my user name. :)
...Soft J, Catch-22's main character?
Decker wrote:Children! Children! There's no need to fight. You're ALL stupid.

joshz

Postby joshz » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:26 pm UTC

Lord Aurora wrote:
Graah you're an idea-stealing idea stealer.
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

smw543

Postby smw543 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:18 am UTC

joshz wrote:
Lord Aurora wrote:
Graah you're an idea-stealing idea stealer.

What's all this, then?
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

joshz

Postby joshz » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:21 am UTC

[/thread]
Oh wait. This is the intro thread. So probably more like [/catch-22OneUppance]
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

danniebenedi

deleted

Postby danniebenedi » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:48 am UTC

deleted
Last edited by danniebenedi on Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Baby, I know.

unnamed 00

Postby unnamed 00 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:26 pm UTC

Well, after reading the forum for months, finally I decided to register and begin posting...

So... let's start with the basics, like a/s/l: I'm 17, male, and live in Madrid, Spain, where I'm supposed to be studying my last year in what would be high school (I don't spend too much time studying), and I'd really like to know what to do after that, because I'm not sure whether to study mathematics or engineering, because, even though I love math, I also find engineering interesting...

I like to spend my free time (which, as I said, is much more than it should be) doing a lot of things. I read a lot, especially since I received my new Sony PRS 600 reader, so I read almost anything. I recently read Einstein's book about the theory of relativity, but also I'm re-reading harry potter (remembering childhood :p), and I like lovecraft, any kind of fantasy or science-fiction, books based on movies, games, A.C. doyle, Sthephen king, Poe... Let's stop there, i could fill a few pages XD

As i was saying, I also enjoy movies, going out with my friends, sports (basically, martial arts, I'm currently interested in karate, but before I attended krav maga lessons), table games, videogames, surfing the internet, and of course, webcomics...

I think that will be enough...
Phew... Can you believe that I didn't know what to say just a few minutes ago, and now I think I just wrote too much?
---
Just registered!
If you think that something that I say sounds weird, tell me, it's been a long time since I spoke ( or wrote!) in english

Lemony

Postby Lemony » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:53 pm UTC

Hi my names Spencer (im a girl though :wink: )
I've just started University in England and even though I'm not the exactly great at science I have a fascination in Space and Genomics. I'm more of an art person and I'm hoping get a career in special effects.
I've just got into horror movies and can't believe I've never payed much attention to them before. Any suggestions of good ones would always be appreciated.

unnamed 00

Postby unnamed 00 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:22 pm UTC

Lemony wrote: I've just got into horror movies and can't believe I've never payed much attention to them before. Any suggestions of good ones would always be appreciated.

Wow, my second post, and it's a reply in this same thread XD (am I allowed to welcome people with only 2 posts?), anyway I hope we have a good time here... I also discovered about horror movies recently, and I love them (even though I haven't found one that's scary yet :P )... There has to be a topic about them in the "movies and tv shows" board... And if there isn't anyone yet, it will be created soon :wink:
---
Just registered!
If you think that something that I say sounds weird, tell me, it's been a long time since I spoke ( or wrote!) in english

JoeKhol

Postby JoeKhol » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:43 pm UTC

Hi,

My name isn't really Joe (hey, you've got to keep a bit of mystery in a new relationship) but everything else here will be true... honest.

I'm in my mid-thirties, a computer programmer and procrastinator from the North of England living and working in London. I'm a proud geek, in to role-play (tabletop and live-action) and a general range of mainstream sci-fi/fantasy though my tastes go beyond that and I'm always open to widening them further.

Been reading xkcd and checking out the comic threads for a few months but flicking through the rest of the topics, I thought this might be a good place for interesting discussions with smart people.

Do try to live up to expectations :-)
Therefore, I think I am.

scouse geek

Postby scouse geek » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:53 pm UTC

Hello, I am Scouse Geek AKA Chris.

I come from Liverpool in the UK *sigh* yes we had the Beetles no I don't really care about them and now that I have got that out of the way I will move onto some basic facts about myself:

I am a Geek.
I am a pedestrian through choice.
I am a IT engineer, although I trained as a Game Keeper (no not like Hagrid) .
I am a avid XKCD fan.
I am 24.
I know 6 people called Stephen.
I am a lover of Dog's and Cat's.
I don't like foxes (see the game keeper portion of this post).
I tend to correct graffiti so it is more anotmicly correct, this also extends to snow men.
I have a unique sense of humour.
I am Currently drinking Pear Cider.
I have a 40 a day habit for Marlborough Blacks.
I tend to get obsessed about wire management.
I am working on my own hobby operating system.

Need any more info :D ?

CueBall

Postby CueBall » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:57 pm UTC

JoeKhol wrote:Do try to live up to expectations :-)

Oh, if you want smart, you've found the right place. Not me, I might stress, but some of the people here... Amazing.
Spoiler:
<3

cmcaulay07

Postby cmcaulay07 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:27 am UTC

My name's Chris, and I'm a 20 year old refinery lab technician in Casper, WY. I know, pretty much the middle of nowhere... Anyway, I joined because after being a devout reader of xkcd for some time, I found out that there were forums behind the scenes. Even better, the forums actually involved intelligent discussion tied in with the fun of online communities. I fear I may have found my home away from home (as long as the picture windows have been removed from the fora (to prevent raptor entry, of course...)), as these are pretty much the only fora I can access from behind my lab's iron curtain of a web filter. Damn corporate entities... I look forward to poking my head into a few discussions whenever I get the urge to chip in my two cents!

-Chris

Lord Aurora

Postby Lord Aurora » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:50 am UTC

CueBall wrote:

Oh, if you want smart, you've found the right place. Not me, I might stress, but some of the people here... Amazing.
:oops: d'awww thanks

CueBall

Postby CueBall » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:35 pm UTC

Lord Aurora wrote:
CueBall wrote:

:oops: d'awww thanks
I can't hide my feelings, LA.
Spoiler:
<3

bakadeshi

Postby bakadeshi » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:09 pm UTC

Hello folks, I finally quit procrastinating and joined after reading these forums for the last few years(!!). My username is bakadeshi, which basically means stupid student in Japanese, props to whoever comes up with the correct anime I stole that from. Actually I started using it to make fun of the word taliban.

I'm 23 years old, dropped out of graduate school in September 2009 and quit my job developing software for physical therapy for handicapped children and think that was my best decision this decade. Currently I'm a peace corps volunteer in Tanzania, teaching information communication technologies at a college, working as a network administrator, and fiddling around on some ICT4D projects in my region in my limited spare time.

I was born in Nanjing, China.
The IRS thinks that my permanent address is somewhere in North Carolina.
I attended UNC for undergrad, where I majored in economics and international relations, minored in computer science, and picked up enough hours for minors in biology, chemistry and music over the course of four years (started out as a Biology and Maths major with Chem minor). Ultimately I want to do something with game theory, modeling, and international political economy.
In the recent past I've also been a bartender, a drugstore manager, a theatre projectionist, and a paramedic, but not all at the same time.
I speak Mandarin Chinese, English, French, Spanish, and Kiswahili.
I'm trying to learn PHP right now. I know MIPS, C, C++, Fortran, Pascal, Matlab, Python and Java. I hate Java.
I used to be a vegetarian for 9 years. But that is no longer practical in Tanzania.
I enjoy playing games of all kinds, my favourites are Go!, Anarchy Online, American football and basketball.
I swam competitively in college (NCAA Div I) and high school.
I play the piano, harmonica, banjo, saxophone, clarinet, Chinese flute, trumpet and French horn. I prefer French horn or sax.
I suffered through PLC one summer, and enjoyed it despite hating Quantico, Va, although I never seriously contemplated a military career.
I'm not a bot.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:41 pm UTC

But but but ... Java is beautiful!

How is it in Tanzania? Why does the IRS think you're in NC?

Did you use to develop software that is used for physical therapy, or did you use to develop software, stopped it, then started doing physical therapy?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

she-ra

Postby she-ra » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:04 pm UTC

Hi.
My name is Caryn.
I am a girl person and have just turned 23.
I live in Cape Town South Africa which is probably more awesome than were you live.
I enjoy kittens, cupcakes, afternoon naps and shiny things.
I recently managed to graduate from university with no actual marketable skills so I am now unemployed and living with my parents.
I will probably be lurking around a lot until some kind of job drops fro the sky (its only a matter of time).
I can't type or spell particularly well so please excuse any typos (google toolbar spellcheck is my best friend).
Without me the world would be doomed.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:40 pm UTC

Hi She-Ra, what was your major?

TheThunderBringer

Postby TheThunderBringer » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:06 pm UTC

Hello.
I'm TheThunderBringer, but, as you may have already realized, that's WAY too long a name to type in every single time...call me TTB, or Thunder...Bringer sounds funny.
I got into the strip only a few days ago, and thought I would join your forum and contribute to the best of my power*.
Umm...hmm...what else, what else...I'm pretty hugely greatly into anime, I like going onto forums and meeting all its' inhabitants, and I haven't downloaded firefox, so there are probably misspellings in here somewhere.

So yep, that's me, hope I have a lot of fun here an' whatnot. See you around.

*not much

she-ra

Postby she-ra » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:05 pm UTC

Monika wrote:Hi She-Ra, what was your major?

I did a BA majoring in Politics and Linguistics and a postgraduate diploma in enterprise management (which is basically entrepreneurship). So I am qualified to tell you what is wrong with your system of government, explain why Japanese people mix up 'l's and 'r's and spell entrepreneurship.
Without me the world would be doomed.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:25 pm UTC

TheThunderBringer wrote:I haven't downloaded firefox

You aren't saying you're using Internet Explorer, are you? :shock:

TheThunderBringer

Postby TheThunderBringer » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:24 pm UTC

You aren't saying you're using Internet Explorer, are you?

YES (as in I am)

Lord Aurora

Postby Lord Aurora » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:21 am UTC

bakadeshi wrote:I attended UNC for undergrad

They're not doing so hot in basketball right now. Duke, however, is.

Krong

Postby Krong » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:57 am UTC

Hey guys! Long time lurker here, first time poster.

First post of many, actually. Really, I promise, you can count on me!
The answer to the question "What’s wrong with the world?" is just two words: "I am." -- G. K. Chesterton (attributed)

boviex

Postby boviex » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:34 am UTC

Hi, I'm Bovie.

I'm a Canadian-born Australian dual citizen of Chinese descent, 18 years old, male, preparing to travel the world for a year before starting an International and Global Studies course at the University of Sydney.

Also, cookies. And cake. Probably. Short sentence fragments rock.

Pleased to meet you, except that I very likely won't. Ever.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:25 am UTC

We might just track you down in Australia.

josh.rackley

Postby josh.rackley » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:11 pm UTC

Hello, all. My name's Josh (in case you weren't aware), I'm 26, and currently in Colorado. I studied biomedical engineering at a small school in Georgia and now I'm a bioenvironmental engineering officer for the Air Force.

Now that the boring stuff is out of the way I can tell some "interesting" facts about myself (somewhat on-topic: I always hated that question in a new class when you do the "introduce yourself to everyone" game - took me longer to figure out what to say for those than it did anything else). I'll pretty much do anything outdoors related - mountain biking (more trail biking and less downhill, but both are fun), backpacking (recently got back from a 50-mile up, around, and back down Mauna Loa in Hawaii), watersports (absolutely terrible at these, but I like them all the same), snowboarding (only learning, but I like it), and I'm sure you get the picture here. Being an engineer, naturally, I like to design and build things; not necessarily always useful, but definitely always fun. I've built a few over the years that were cool and some that ended horribly. Can't think of anything else really at this point - if you have specific questions just ask in discussions if it's somewhat on-topic or send me a private message otherwise. It's good to be here and I'll see y'all in the threads.

SimpleSimon

Postby SimpleSimon » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:52 pm UTC

Hi my name is James, and i'm going to be shamelessly plugging my blog, I strarted reading xkcd about 3 or 4 month ago and is now checked regularly along with shortpacked, explosm and penny arcade.

read my blog!

ta
Check out my Blog

http://simplesciman.wordpress.com/

Its not shit, promise

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:02 pm UTC

Hi. My name is Tom. I am currently at University. I study Biology when am not spending hours looking at webcomics. I have been reading xkcd for a couple years.
"God works in mysterious and breathtakingly cruel ways."

masakatsu

Postby masakatsu » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:03 pm UTC

Hi. I am Nathan and I am an addict… no wait, wrong forum. ;-)

I am finishing my Ph.D. of Public Leadership in Health Care Management (1 yr to ABD!). I have an MBA and graduate certificates in Health Care Management, Advanced Management Studies, and IT Project Management. My BA is in Business and my AAT is in computer networking.

My current line of research is in healthcare project management, a large research hole I in. My master’s thesis was on the mean time nurses spend per week reviewing evidence based research, which could be summed up as not much. I got it published last month.

I work as a project manager at a large hospital (500+ beds), specializing in business, BI, and ETL systems. Most of my professional work is in trying to make health care cheaper. I am heavily involved in PMI, both locally, at the region, and with the health care SIG.

Lets see. Recently divorced and well known to wake up with a hot red head in the bed, with the thought of ‘oh god, I wish I could remember last night beyond the thought ‘hey I got the 30 page project done, time to go to the café for coffee’’.
I will not attack your math, just your epistemology.

You think you have it bad, I teach Intro to Project Management to Undergrads.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:29 pm UTC

Hi Nathan. What's ABD? AAT? ETL? PMI? SIG?

masakatsu

Postby masakatsu » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:46 pm UTC

Monika wrote:Hi Nathan. What's ABD? AAT? ETL? PMI? SIG?

All But Dissertation
Associates of Applied Technology
Extraction, Transformation, & Loading
Project Management Institute
Special Interest Group
I will not attack your math, just your epistemology.

You think you have it bad, I teach Intro to Project Management to Undergrads.

Chester_Field

Postby Chester_Field » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:56 am UTC

Hey Im Chester.
Im a 19 yr old Canadian.
I am studying film in college.
I hope to become a audio editor for major films.
I am totally in love with this comic and webcomics in general.
I joined because I have read the comic for about a year and a half and decided to finally join the community.

bluestripe

Postby bluestripe » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:03 pm UTC

I'm Rosie, recent linguistics grad. Now I work at a community college in the ESL department.

Right now my hobbies mostly consist of television and general lethargy. I have an awful lot of manga on my bookshelves nestled amongst my Shakespeare and Neal Stephenson. I have a growing collection of Japanese language reference materials and a few X-men comics here and there.

I sculpt sporadically. I takes up my whole desk so my monitor just sits on top of the case while my keyboard sits on my lap. Its a rather handsome gaming machine, but since I built it in June the only games I've played on it were in a psx emulator and an assortment of games I had to install windows 98 to play. Oh well.

michaelsaunders77

Postby michaelsaunders77 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:45 am UTC

Hi, I'm Michael. I'm a Materials Science and Finance undergrad student. I'm also a singer and a musician in general. And I'm Canadian.

crush pill

Postby crush pill » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:45 am UTC

Hello everyone,

I'm here to bug the Math forum on everything from arithmetic to set theory, but not much more. I can't say I like math that much, but I definitely need some assistance. Also, I do like the comic. It does make me smile on occasion. I'm currently using Ubuntu and I like it. I read some. I'm not into games. I like all sorts of music but I don't play an instrument.

hawkmp4

Postby hawkmp4 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:16 am UTC

Hi, I'm Michael. I'm an applied maths major (freshman) at the University of Colorado at Boulder. I should also end up with minors in computer science and philosophy. I'm interested in a LOT. Everything from Descartes to graph theory. Fortunately or unfortunately, I've had to teach myself nearly everything I know because K-12 schooling worked so poorly for me.
I listen to a wide variety of music. Thrash, progressive/technical thrash/death metal, funk, and Classical are my favorites. My favorite book is either Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut or 1984 - George Orwell.
The two writings that have changed my life the most were the Communist Manifesto and the Dhammapada.
I'm here because, like everyone else, I love the comics and the topics they cover. I also like being around people who know more than me. That's how you learn :) I've been lurking for quite some time and figured it was an appropriate moment to introduce myself.
@Lemony: If you haven't seen The Exorcist or The Omen (original), do so. Now. Absolutely essential viewing! I like the original Wicker Man quite a bit too.
Computer Science: A place to discuss the spirituality of Pornography Storage Apparatuses and programs, from algorithms to computability.

Formal proofs preferred.

Return to “General”