INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Gabriel_F

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby Gabriel_F » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:08 am UTC

Hey, guys!

My name is Gabriel, I'm Brazilian, 25 years old and I'm a senior student of Chemical Engineering. I like peanuts, iced tea and all things geek. My favorite programming language is Python (obviously), my PC runs Linux only (Ubuntu Maverick) and I use a local implementation of Dvorak keyboard (Brazilian native), but don't get me started on any of those items or I'll rant for hours. (I also should mention I love brackets and my posts usually will have loads of'em)

fimzo

Postby fimzo » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:09 am UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:
fimzo wrote:Hi, I'm Fimzo, and I am only 13. I am interested in math, science, programming, RPGs, and other assorted things. Admittedly, that's a short introduction, but I don't know if many people read this thread anyway. Also, please don't feel biased against me because I'm a teenager. I know many internet fora are, and I also know that in many cases they have good reason to do so.

Quite a few people read this, actually. You'd be suprised. And I doubt many people here will be biased, from what I've seen.

Also, ohai.

Thanks, nice to know that.
-Fimzo

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:08 am UTC

however if you act like you're 13. then we will hate you.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Spots

Postby Spots » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:46 pm UTC

suffer-cait wrote:however if you act like you're 13. then we will hate you.

Then you'll hate me, because I'm likely to act like I'm 13. =P
“Never underestimate the power of dreams and the influence of the human spirit. We are all the same in this notion: The potential for greatness lives within each of us.” (Wilma Rudolph)

Plankton

Postby Plankton » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:57 pm UTC

Hello, I am introducing myself. I don't really know what else to say. I only really signed up for this forum because an an xkcd fan I felt it was something I had to do.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:53 pm UTC

Plankton wrote:Hello, I am introducing myself. I don't really know what else to say. I only really signed up for this forum because an an xkcd fan I felt it was something I had to do.

You generally don't have to do anything you don't want to. But hey, nice to meet you. =]
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

Affinity

Postby Affinity » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:15 pm UTC

Hi! I am a college kid. I'm overcautious about revealing personal information to the Internet, so this might not be the most information-rich introduction post you read today. Sorry!

So! I decided to join these fora because they seem full of fun and intellectually stimulating people (like you!). I'm interested in math and physics and computer programming, although I enjoy learning things about the inferior disciplines as well. I take a lot of pleasure in clear/precise/effective/amusing phrasing. I am generally lighthearted, I like the rain, and my favorite color is blue.

So yeah! Me in a nutshell. Hi!

StNowhere

Postby StNowhere » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm UTC

Hey, long-time caller, first-time listener; been posting here for a while now, but always forgotten to do the intro bit.

Name's Gary, 27, currently living in Ohio (moved here to start Ph.D. program in polymer science; I'm kind of sad now to hear that the prevailing opinion is that a Ph.D. is worth the Denny's placemat it was printed on), born in Illinois (way the hell away from Chicago). The polymer thing is a bit weird right now, as I studied originally as a theoretical physicist (master's) and mathematician (bachelor's), but now a lot of the work I'm seeing is experimental chemistry, which I liken to trying to learn Latin by way of Japanese. I am fond of gummy bears and popcorn. That is all.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:54 pm UTC

StNowhere wrote:Name's Gary, 27, currently living in Ohio (moved here to start Ph.D. program in polymer science; I'm kind of sad now to hear that the prevailing opinion is that a Ph.D. is worth the Denny's placemat it was printed on), born in Illinois (way the hell away from Chicago). The polymer thing is a bit weird right now, as I studied originally as a theoretical physicist (master's) and mathematician (bachelor's), but now a lot of the work I'm seeing is experimental chemistry, which I liken to trying to learn Latin by way of Japanese. I am fond of gummy bears and popcorn. That is all.

Slowly, you'll glide down along the scale to biology, linguistics, psychology... ;)
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

HedgehogWarlord

Postby HedgehogWarlord » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:35 am UTC

Hi, you can call me HedgehogWarlord. I have absolutely no idea what to say now, so I suppose I'll tell you that I am cynnical and quite possibly insane. :D

ReCreate

Postby ReCreate » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:20 am UTC

HI. I'm known as "ReCreate", but i made a mistake while registering my account and accidentally added an R. :roll: And i'm a furry. Yes.

And i just noticed that this thread has.. over 9000 pages. :shock:

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:12 am UTC

It has only 226 pages and ReCreater sounds cool anyway.

Welcome. Enjoy.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people e.g. Ragna needs these items and Frances needs money for food

ReCreate

Postby ReCreate » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:32 pm UTC

Yes, i noticed that. I made a mistake and confused pages for posts. But was not able to edit the post as it was in moderator preview.(all first 2 posts are if i recall correctly) And thanks!

rainen

Postby rainen » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:49 pm UTC

Hi, my name is Rainen (AKA Jon if you don't like web personas) and I'm a highschool student (not that that really matters... right?). My hobbies include writing a book (its sci-fi/fantasy [mainly because it involves mythological creatures and alternate dimensions] which has something to say about everything from theology to ichthyology... no really it does.), marine biology, mythology (Norse, Greek, Roman[just kidding, everybody knows its the illegitimate child of Greek mythology and astrology...] and Egyptian), purposely misspelling rarely used words as well as using slightly bad grammar in order to root out and learn to ignore indigenous grammar Nazis (Yes I know you're in here somewhere) and putting side conversations in everything I post (this is a biggie. I go it all the time and some times I get so lost in my own side comments that I forget to take them back into the main topic. Oh did I say I enjoy irony, previously unheard of levels of humor and sarcasm?)

The above without information in "()" (although some of it is important
Hi, my name is Rainen and I'm a highschool student. My hobbies include writing a book, marine biology, mythology purposely misspelling rarely used words as well as using slightly bad grammar in order to root out and learn to ignore indigenous grammar Nazis and putting side conversations in everything I post.

cazaron

Postby cazaron » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:21 pm UTC

hey guys. love xkcd.

underground panda dragged me here.

undergroundpanda

Postby undergroundpanda » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:23 pm UTC

hey, I happened to stumble across this site about 10 minutes ago at school. It's not blocked, and I love xkcd, so here I am.

that is all.

edit: yes, I did drag him here.
Last edited by undergroundpanda on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Arolandforan

Postby Arolandforan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:35 am UTC

Hi internet! Nothing to see here, expect me to lurk mostly. I'm a student, so the only time you'll hear from me is probably when there's study to be done and I need to procrastinate. So... right now, for instance. Also, late at night I sometimes lose the ability to cope with people on the internet who are WRONG, and will probably end up making big, strident posts in Serious Business, only to wake up and regret sounding like a huge tosser. Also, expect me to occasionally come ask for maths help.

This is the start of a beautiful thing, trust me.

DerKanzler

Postby DerKanzler » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:31 pm UTC

Uhm, Hi! I'm just an average member referred to here by another forumer from another page. I was told I could get more insightful answers here regarding some of my questions.

I needed a new forum anyway, so again, uhm, hi! :D

Subliminity
needs friends

Postby Subliminity » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:13 pm UTC

Hey. I'm bad at intro threads. I'm a sophomore in high school curretly and I'm usually on here in forumgames or general. Ill probably need to ask for math help soon. I discovered the forum a little over a year and a half ago.

curiosity

Postby curiosity » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:37 pm UTC

Hi, I'm curiosity. I'm a college student doing a violin performance major at a conservatory in the US. I don't know why I'm posting here since I really don't have the time to keep up with anything any more; I guess it's a spur-of-the moment type thing, especially since I'm recovering from being sick and so am bored. That said, my posting in the future might range from the very active to the nonexistent. We'll see.

Like I said, I'm a violin major, and that is my major love and interest and activity. Classical music covers such a range of human emotion and thought, from the most beautiful to the most hideous and terrifying, and the way it connects to the philosophy and history and economics of the past four hundred years or so fascinates me. But, anyway, what that means is that I spend most of my time in a practice room. There's something very meditative and satisfying about working on a passage of three or four notes until you start to get them just so, although then there's also times where you realize that you just spent the past four hours working on a passage that takes thirty seconds to play.

Other stuff. I like reading - mostly the normal sci-fi / fantasy people; current favorites include Neil Gaiman, Neal Stephenson, Margaret Atwood. I started reading Borges' short stories this summer and fell madly in love with the way he twists and expands your mind. I used to play Kingdom of Loathing, and was fairly decent at it, but haven't had time in a while. I don't watch very much TV or very many movies, but I do watch Doctor Who and basically everything with David Attenborough. I like matzoh ball soup and cats and mountains and long walks on cold overcast beaches.

The Whale

Postby The Whale » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:11 am UTC

Hi! Not quite sure what to say here so I will keep it short. I'm in my third year of electrical engineering, but I'm more interested in math, so expect to see me around the math forum. My other interests include sarcasm and bagels with cream cheese.

Lingenfizzle

Postby Lingenfizzle » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:23 pm UTC

Hi all

I'm Jay.

19, male, Virginia.

According to Mr. Munroe, I do one of the more important things in the world. Yes, yes, I deliver pizza. Please hold your applause, just throw money. Please. People around here are lousy tippers sometimes and gas is expensive.

I spent at least a solid decade as a gamer of the video variety, but the drop in quality and rise in popularity of video games have left me with little interest in the medium of late.

That said, I'm in the process of getting my tabletop game on. Finally have all the necessary books for some D&D, the group is rounded up, the space will be available soon, we just need to get our schedules in order. This will be my first gaming group, so it should be an enlightening experience.

I was a band geek in high school, I currently fiddle with a guitar, and I could probably hold up one end of a conversation about indie rock.

My family has a chihuahua, a miniature bulldog, two cats and a cursed tank of fish. Personally overseen by me are a red Siamese fighting fish by the name of Robot and a bearded dragon who goes by Kazimir.

I'm familiar with all but the most recent Enderverse books; I own the better part of Eoin Colfer's catalog; I'm keeping up with the Inheritance Cycle simply because I already have the first three so I might as well finish it; I actually really enjoy the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series and can't wait for it to continue; and I've just begun reading the Dresden Files books and plan to keep reading them, if only because the bad writing makes me laugh.

I'm going to spend several minutes after I post this to continue fretting about whether it was appropriate to put an "and" after that last semicolon.

Right, that should be enough horribly unnecessary information to give you lot a decent idea of me. I'm off to post in the Gaming forum.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:48 pm UTC

Ohgod pizza...

*drools*
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:56 pm UTC

Hi Lingenfizzle, how do you like Pizza Girl in Questionable Content?
Please donate to help these people e.g. Ragna needs these items and Frances needs money for food

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:15 pm UTC

Lingenfizzle wrote: pizza

Microscopic cog wrote:pizza

Monika wrote:Pizza

Goddammit, I wasn't gonna eat junkfood today ...
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:22 pm UTC

Hey, pizza ain't junkfood, that's proper Italian cuisine! :D

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:45 pm UTC

It's considered to be junkfood.

But it was good! :p
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

softchews

Postby softchews » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:28 pm UTC

Heyoo :D

I'm stuart, 17 years old from somewhere in the 'nowhere near anywhere' area close to Cambridge, England. I am doing A levels and intend to go to Uni to do some physicsy-mathsy stuff :) Just thought I'd drop by on you guys and say a bit of a hello. Lurked many a thread about this site but thought it was time to contribute to the xkcd society. Be nice? :D

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:33 am UTC

Hi physicsy-mathsy Stuart :) . Enjoy yourself on this forum. It sounds already like you're having fun :) .

Oh and life is better in university, so look forward to this :) .

bfishly

New kid in town

Postby bfishly » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:46 am UTC

Hey All,

As is tradition, I am probably putting this in the wrong place.. Yes. Yes you did, but it's in the right place now. ~~Felstaff but just wanted to say hi to everyone here.

Cheers,
New Guy

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Re: New kid in town

Postby Triangle_Man » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:02 am UTC

Welcome to the boards!

In my case, I just showed up here one day and posted something random on the News Forums.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

iroZn

Postby iroZn » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:35 am UTC

Hey my name is Sam, I'm 20 doing a Bachelor of Eng (Mechatronics)/ B of Commerce (International Business) at USyd. I've been reading xkcd for about a year now but never really checked out the forums!

So... sup!
I am imaginary, prove me wrong!

GenericPseudonym

Postby GenericPseudonym » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:59 am UTC

Well, hello to everyone who happens to read this!
"GenericPseudonym" may not be a very generic pseudonym, but I'm sticking with it. I probably won't post much, and will only half-know what it is I'm talking about. Lessee what else... I'm a sophomore in high school, and... um... I dunno.

PaulNefets

Postby PaulNefets » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:18 pm UTC

Hey, I'm paul. Im 22 years old.

<> Work in finance
<> Was a college athlete
<> Studied Bio and finance
<> interests include: philosophy, psychology, personality theories, music (old school metal) and other polymathery

I like the comics here because of the time factor. It's very easy to just pop in and read a few for a quick laugh. I'm on a few other forums under different handles, and liking forums, I thought I'd pop in here too! :D

DiminishWaltz

Postby DiminishWaltz » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:32 pm UTC

Hello!
My name is Ashley. I'm 26, living in the South Eastern United states, and enjoying my career as a cake decorator. Birthday cakes, wedding cakes, pastries.. I really love what I do, but I'm looking into starting college in the spring. I'm just going to fall into my studies as hard as I can. I hope.
I aspire to be a marine biologist, oceanographer, or something related research-wise where I can study and try to make some sort of a difference while living near the ocean, where I'm happiest. I also enjoy math. Chemistry. Engineering.

I'm sure I'll figure this out...

My hobbies are cooking, reading about fashion, thrift store shopping, cooking, biking, karaoke, cooking, travel, cooking and... I love cooking, especially for friends and loved ones, because it makes me happy to make them happy.

I like working on my car, too.

I want to LIVE, not merely exist.
Life is GOOD!

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:51 am UTC

Welcome DiminishWaltz. I now already almost love you. ;)
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Doublehawk

Postby Doublehawk » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:07 am UTC

Well hello there, my names Robert, though you can call me hawk or whatever you prefer. Im 16 years old, I live in southern Ontario. I signed up here because XKCD is just so awesome, and I'll probably be asking for help from time to time with things. I love hanging out with friends, playing video games (as cliche as that must sound) and I'm really generally a nice guy. Im thinking of going into Engineering, so i'll probably ask a couple of questions about that sort of stuff. So thats about it, pretty short I guess.

Cinead

Postby Cinead » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:52 am UTC

Due to that terrible beast known as procrastination, I've decided to join on up and see if this will help waste some happy hours. I've got nothing better to do an..what is it? Exams? What of them? Anyways, moving on.

I am Cinead [not real name]. It means 'Born of fire' and I think that that is pretty darn kickass. I'm currently slaving away for my final exams at a draconian school that doesn't even let you walk on a grass, and will be going to a university next year that doesn't even care if you smoke the damn grass probably.

I have one of the most eccentric tastes in music out of everybody I've heard of (and I'm not just saying that to fall into the 'Ooo look how wierd and trendy I am' clique that seems to have sprung up, I genuinely do listen to rather odd music) and enjoy couch forts, pub quizing it up every Tuesday night, going to the beach (yay NZ!) and wasting endless hours on the internet.

I plan on sticking around for a while at least (nearly the holidays!) so hallo everyone =)

DatDarnDude

Postby DatDarnDude » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:36 pm UTC

Hey XKCD forum. Im a 20 year old guy in Florida. Going to college and getting my degree in Engineering and Physics. I play the piano, drums, and guitar. Play on my schools Ultimate Frisbee team as well. I read the XKCD comic religiously and eventually made it over here to the forums. In my free time i like to test the limits of my body by making as many foods as I can from thisiswhyyourefat.com and eating them.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:16 pm UTC

You're trying to gain weight? Or just enjoying the delicious food.

Return to “General”