Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sudo make me a username

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby sudo make me a username » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:46 pm UTC

Hello there! I'm 18 years old from Israel. I'm pretty much the poster boy for xkcd's target audience so many of my friends like xkcd and I used to visit it from time to time, sometimes using the random button. I liked a lot of the comics but there were also many I didn't understand - sometimes because of pop culture (esp. US specific things and people), sometimes because of science concepts I didn't quite know. So I always knew xkcd existed and that it was good but I wasn't fully a fan.

Some time ago I discovered the "what if?" section. I loved it! The concept and execution are both awesome. I read all of the articles from start to finish and especially liked the "new takes" to common questions like Sunless Earth and Everybody Jump. Then I tried to read the main site in the same way - start to finish. But most of the early comics weren't very interesting to me so I gave it up and the site returned to the same state of "I know it's good but I don't visit it much" state in my mind.

And then, very recently, I discovered "Time". I discovered it by reading the wikipedia article on xkcd. In the history section there were some notes about the more "unique" kinds of comics in xkcd - the two april fools ones, Click an Drag, and Time. I knew about Click and Drag (although I never fully explored it) but the other ones were knew to me. And the concept of Time especially intrigued me. And then I realized it had it's own Wikipedia page - the only xkcd comic with that honor. And it's own Wikia project. And the largest thread in the xkcd forums (didn't even know xkcd had forums before that...). Wanting to see what all the fuss was about, I went to the youtube video that was made after its end. And it was great. A great story, comparable to many works of science fiction - with romance, philosophy, a great climax and an underlying scientific background that also taught me something interesting about the sea next to my country. I can hardly imagine how it must have been to experience it all the slow way, with all the exploration and speculation.

That made me realize xkcd is more than just funny comics. And it inspired me to go on a quest, to finally read everything, from start to end. Now I also knew about explainxkcd wiki (found it before I found Time) so I could clarify all comics I don't understand. I had time to to this because I'm in the "limbo" period of an Israeli life - after school, before the mandatory military service. It was great, and now that it's over I feel the right to call myself an xkcd fan.

One thing I found especially notable while going through the comics was when I reached Umwelt. From Wikipedia I already knew it was unique, so after checking all my browsers (got the common ones - Snake and Black hat/Turtle) I went to explainxkcd to find out about the rest. I was shocked to find so many comics. So I read them and scrolled down. And then I found the hebrew one. I was especially surprized because 1. I don't think there is anything in xkcd that is not in english, aside from one cherokee sentence in #84 and the Time fictional language, 2. It was about the subject of Jewish Assimilation, or marriage between Jews and non Jews, an important subject in Israeli life and politics that is not very well known outside it, and 3. It made sense the comic would be visible in Israel but I didn't see it.

As the explaination itself gave no further info (This comic has quite a crappy explaination, I plan to fix it soon) I almost thought it was a hoax and some Israeli put the comic there. But after finding some old reddit threads listing all the comics and having some of my friends tell me they saw the comic I realized it is real. I know it's irrational, but I almost feel flattered for knowing my language is the only one other than English to feature in an xkcd comic :oops: . I wonder how did Randall write it. He probably got some guy to do it for him - I'd be surprized if Randall knows Hebrew and the sentences are much better than what most translation software can manage. And I wonder if the joke was created by Randall or by the guy he got to write - as I said it's an issue more well known in Israel so it makes sense an Israeli wrote it.

Anyways, now I got into the society of always wondering what will our crazy Randy come up with next (Ooo are we a secret society? Do we also secretly control the united states government?) I'm sure it'll be fun :D

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:30 am UTC

Another innocent victim drawn into the forum by the notorious Time thread ;) . Welcome and enjoy yourself!

Actually I'd say it's reasonably well known outside of Israel that Israel does not have secular / state marriage but only religious marriage, thus couples consisting of one Jew and one non-Jew need to go to another country, get married there and have it recognized in Israel. I'd say together with the lack of a possibility to opt out of military service (except for those who are exempt anyway: Arabs and Orthodox Jews) these are the best known social issues, I think. (Well apart from the whole Palestine thing, of course.) Or is this not the issue you are referring to, after all?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

sudo make me a username

Postby sudo make me a username » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:46 am UTC

Monika wrote:Another innocent victim drawn into the forum by the notorious Time thread ;) . Welcome and enjoy yourself!

Actually I'd say it's reasonably well known outside of Israel that Israel does not have secular / state marriage but only religious marriage, thus couples consisting of one Jew and one non-Jew need to go to another country, get married there and have it recognized in Israel. I'd say together with the lack of a possibility to opt out of military service (except for those who are exempt anyway: Arabs and Orthodox Jews) these are the best known social issues, I think. (Well apart from the whole Palestine thing, of course.) Or is this not the issue you are referring to, after all?

Yeah, the secular/state marriage is the biggest legal issue, but it's also a big cultural thing especially with religious and nationalist families. That's why the daughter in the comic feels the need to tell her mom the guy she met isn't Jewish. And well, I guess I underestimated how much people outside Israel know about Israel. In the internet it seems like all people talk about is the "Palestine thing" and even for that they usually don't really know the whole story, concentrating on just one side. I guess it's also related to how educated you are in those matters, and Randall is probably educated enough.

SnookieCookie

Postby SnookieCookie » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:10 am UTC

Hi, I'm snookie. I like white chocolate chip cookies. I'm old and young at the same time. Great to be here with you all. It looks like fun.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:30 pm UTC

I must ask.

Are you the actual real life snookie?

SnookieCookie

Postby SnookieCookie » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:56 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:I must ask.

Are you the actual real life snookie?

LMAO do you think she can read? No I am not, but that would be fun. Back when I registered I was entertained by her antics and enjoyed a certain someones avitar that has a yummy cookie in it.
Azuler is the ruler,
Vytron is the drooler,
LMAO silly molpies

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:49 pm UTC

Lol, welcome, welcome indeed.

firesoul31

Postby firesoul31 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:02 am UTC

SnookieCookie wrote:Hi, I'm snookie. I like white chocolate chip cookies. I'm old and young at the same time. Great to be here with you all. It looks like fun.

Do you like white-chocolate-chip cookies, white chocolate-chip cookies, white-chocolate chip-cookies, or white chocolate chip-cookies?
Pronouns: she/her/hers or they/them please.

exfret

Postby exfret » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:58 am UTC

Hello, I'm exfret. I'm hoping that these fora aren't too huge (I come from a much smaller community), but for now I'll just stick to places I know, like mathematics. I hope you all have a great day!!!

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:04 pm UTC

Hi exfret, don't be afraid, hugeness is not an issue, you don't need to read everything :) . What kind of mathematics are you into?

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:37 pm UTC

Hey exfret!

Not too terribly huge. most of the locals can be found in "unfetched hashes and turtle excluding devices" over in general.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:46 pm UTC

And all the cool kids are down in FaiD, hanging out by the dumpsters, smoking and cursing.

... those are the cool kids, right?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:13 am UTC

firesoul31 wrote:
SnookieCookie wrote:Hi, I'm snookie. I like white chocolate chip cookies. I'm old and young at the same time. Great to be here with you all. It looks like fun.

Do you like white-chocolate-chip cookies, white chocolate-chip cookies, white-chocolate chip-cookies, or white chocolate chip-cookies?

Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not, or that you feel good this morning, or that it is a morning to be good on?
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Mikemk

Postby Mikemk » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:44 am UTC

Hello, my name is Michael. I use to program a lot, but lately i'm more interested in hardware, and I like playing Minecraft.
Also, I'm bad at spelling and grammer, so please don't bug me about that.
Belial wrote:This is partially to give us mods confirmation that you're not a spambot (they're clever, it can be hard to tell)

You mean like xkcd . com / 810 ? (The rules said it'll block u r l s)

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:11 am UTC

Welcome to the forums, Michael. Do you still like to program, perhaps in a (xkcd-themed) social context? In that case please click on the red spider in my signature!
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:15 pm UTC

Mikemk wrote:Also, I'm bad at spelling and grammer, so please don't bug me about that.

Grammar*

One puke of grammar to another, do try to police it a bit around here. The occasional mistake will go unnoticed, continued mistakes not so much.

at any rate, welcome!

Mikemk

Postby Mikemk » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:15 am UTC

Speaking of red spiders, there's a sticker attached to one of the bike racks at my school which features black boxes with red spiders (Though they've faded and are now black). I wonder who put it there
Computer specs:
Spoiler:
Intel i5-750 (OC 3.33 GHz)
8GB (OC 1333 MHz) (2GB HDD cache)
NVIDIA GT 740 (OC 1149 MHz) 4GB (OC 841 MHz)
480GB SSD (120 HDD cache)
2x2TB HDD (not RAID)
Windows 10
Linux Mint in VM

DireKobold

Postby DireKobold » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:30 pm UTC

Well I guess this is me taking the plunge on another message board. I've previously been active on some D&D boards (enworld.org in particular though that was many moons ago) and generally I find that they quickly become overwhelming. But after lurking on and off (particularly, as with some many others when "Time" was ongoing) I figured, in a triumph of hope over experience that I would take the plunge again.

Perhaps this time I'll be able find a happy medium where I post enough to feel engaged and involved without trying to post enough that I "keep up with the Joneses".

As far as personal details. I'm Male. I'm on the old side of things (43 in a few days). I'd get into my religion and politics, but if I understand the rules correctly I still have to get this post approved… :wink:

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:24 pm UTC

Neat.

haikyogirl

Postby haikyogirl » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:41 pm UTC

Hello, fellow perusers of xkcd! I am haikyogirl. I'm 17 and live in Scotland. My main sources of time-passing online are Reddit, Wikipedia, and Project Gutenberg, but, recently, I've been spending more of my many, many procrastination hours on forums. I thought I'd drop In over here.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:19 am UTC

Look! Look!
A crop of Two Newbes.

Welcome.
Reading English may not do you much good, in Time.

Many of the other Threads are in an informal English.
I hope you have fun here.

Do you know any Jokes?
We need another Joke.

A Forum can never have too many smart Jokes.
Can it?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:55 pm UTC

Hello!

also, just discovered project gutenberg. YAY.

enjoy your time here. :D

kiniget

Postby kiniget » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:38 am UTC

hello everyone, this is actually my second time signing up, I used to be kinigget, but then I went away for a while, during which time I forgot my password and the email I used to create stopped working so I couldn't recover it
so yeah, maybe some of you remember me
anyway
I'm back
sort of

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:36 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:And all the cool kids are down in FaiD, hanging out by the dumpsters, smoking and cursing.

... those are the cool kids, right?

I am there. I make no comment on the coolness of others.
haikyogirl wrote:Hello, fellow perusers of xkcd! I am haikyogirl. I'm 17 and live in Scotland. My main sources of time-passing online are Reddit, Wikipedia, and Project Gutenberg, but, recently, I've been spending more of my many, many procrastination hours on forums. I thought I'd drop In over here.

coi
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Thantsking

Postby Thantsking » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:56 am UTC

Hello!
I am new user here.I come from England.
Glad to be with you.
have a nice day!

addams

Postby addams » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:59 am UTC

Thantsking wrote:Hello!
Glad to be with you.
have a nice day!

So funny.
It is like you walked in a room,
Introduced yourself and gave an Order.

Yes, Sir or Ma'me.
We will get right on it.

We will have a nice day to the best of our abilities.
We will follow your lead.

!Lead! Us into a Nice Day.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

sonicspin

Postby sonicspin » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:45 pm UTC

hello...I joined...Before, buuut I started posting now
and before that I also made an account here if I ever wanted to post, I lost everything in that account (AFAIK nothing) to a script kiddie
yaps, hello I am sonicspin I draw comics and sometimes code stuff that doesn't actually work 99% of the time

Solublejunk

Postby Solublejunk » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:14 pm UTC

Hello all. I've been a long time lurker here, but only recently generated an account. The comic has always been a favorite of mine as I really appreciate the humor that some (read: those that aren't likely to browse the forums) may not.

Username is admittedly an RNG name created by my old Xbox, but it has been fairly unique so far.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:46 pm UTC

Hello new people!

so... is it a bunch of old items that is soluble, or unmentionable body parts that are easily dissolved in liquid?

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:07 pm UTC

Thantsking wrote:Hello!
Glad to be with you.
have a nice day!

You're a bot from England?

addams wrote:So funny.
It is like you walked in a room,
Introduced yourself and gave an Order.

Yes, Sir or Ma'me.
We will get right on it.

We will have a nice day to the best of our abilities.
We will follow your lead.

!Lead! Us into a Nice Day.

That was quite hilarious and unusually comprehensible.

strake

Postby strake » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:35 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:so... is it a bunch of old items that is soluble, or unmentionable body parts that are easily dissolved in liquid?

They're not unmentionable. Proof: it means the genitals. QED.

And I'm glad mine aren't readily soluble. Not in liquids I often touch, anyhow.

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:32 pm UTC

Maybe it doesn't mean genitals. In that case, what would you say those body parts would be? Can't say? Exactly.

Solublejunk

Postby Solublejunk » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:51 pm UTC

I'm not sure how this conversation hasn't come up before... I've had the name for years.

So... since said genitals haven't dissolved.. that is not what they're referring to.

I'll just go with that.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:56 pm UTC

Solublejunk wrote:I'm not sure how this conversation hasn't come up before... I've had the name for years.

So... since said genitals haven't dissolved.. that is not what they're referring to.

I'll just go with that.

Good enough for me! Welcome aboard.

strake

Postby strake » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:18 am UTC

Ubik wrote:Maybe it doesn't mean genitals. In that case, what would you say those body parts would be? Can't say? Exactly.

Ah, true, sorry. It does in my dialect, tho. Dialectic variation of the word "junk", one could potentially do a PhD thesis on that...

Solublejunk wrote:I'm not sure how this conversation hasn't come up before... I've had the name for years.

The fora you used it on were clearly nerd-deficient. This one ain't. Welcome ☺

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:44 pm UTC

What about assorted items that they themselves are soluble? after all in some dialects, junk refers to "assorted differing items."
Last edited by Tomlidich the second on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:32 am UTC

Could be a boat. Although, a soluble boat isn't much good. Maybe that's the joke.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:44 pm UTC

Carlington wrote:Could be a boat. Although, a soluble boat isn't much good. Maybe that's the joke.

hehehe i like that.

forward4

Postby forward4 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:29 pm UTC

Hello :) I have been a long time lover of xkcd, and finally joined he fora. Fun stuff! Anyway, I'm very laid back and easy going. I'm writing this when I should be studying for my Calc 2 test. But meh, I've still got time. Anyway, I'm gonna graduate from High School this May and head off to college to study Computer Science :D
I really enjoy infinite series, 2^(n+1) numbers, and Minecraft. I'm currently adamantly not studying improper integrals.

Also, Prime Numbers! They're really cool. There's a lot of them. My favorite map projection is the Robinson Projection.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:25 pm UTC

Welcome to the forum, fellow power procrastinator, mathematician and computer scientist! Enjoy yourself here. But don't spend so much time here that you fail your high school diploma, AP test or whatever it is you should be studying for!

Return to “General”