Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HES

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby HES » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:38 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:I should probably also mention that I'm 17, a junior in high school.

I know you keep mentioning high school, but I totally hadn't clocked you were only 17. Maybe because the people I know Outside around your age are distinctly not <socially acceptable synonym for complete nerds> and come across far less maturely than you. (Also I don't understand the US school system)

Oh, I never actually posted here. My name is H[something] E[something] S[something], I forget. I'm a twenty-something, English postgraduate student (serial procrastinator), which somehow means I have a degree. Huh.

Oh, and most of those 2K posts are mindless ramblings in the Time thread.
He/Him/His Image

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:55 pm UTC

WilliamTheConqueror wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:I should probably also mention that I'm 17, a junior in high school. If I come across as older (not to imply that I think I do, but I have been told as much a few times), it's because 1) I'm a <socially acceptable synonym for complete nerd> and 2) I'm very cautious about my word choice when in an unfamiliar setting, specifically with unfamiliar people. I do believe it is indeed possible to get social anxiety on an internet forum, because that is precisely what I am experiencing at this very moment.

I've been here for a little while and I still get little spurts of oh god what if they think I'm an idiot or embarrass myself moments because I feel like I have to prove myself to a bunch of neat people on the internet. That's why I lurk more than anything. ;u;

I'll let you know as soon as that feeling goes away.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

WilliamTheConqueror

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:08 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
WilliamTheConqueror wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:I should probably also mention that I'm 17, a junior in high school. If I come across as older (not to imply that I think I do, but I have been told as much a few times), it's because 1) I'm a <socially acceptable synonym for complete nerd> and 2) I'm very cautious about my word choice when in an unfamiliar setting, specifically with unfamiliar people. I do believe it is indeed possible to get social anxiety on an internet forum, because that is precisely what I am experiencing at this very moment.

I've been here for a little while and I still get little spurts of oh god what if they think I'm an idiot or embarrass myself moments because I feel like I have to prove myself to a bunch of neat people on the internet. That's why I lurk more than anything. ;u;

I'll let you know as soon as that feeling goes away.

That... makes me feel better and worse at the same time?

how does that even work?
addams wrote:Fucking Nature.

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:23 pm UTC

WilliamTheConqueror wrote:That... makes me feel better and worse at the same time?

It's reassuring disappointment. Or maybe disappointing reassurance.

I'm a civil engineer, so anything I say that doesn't include the word "sustainability" stands a high chance of being made up.
Last edited by HES on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:35 am UTC

HES wrote:
WilliamTheConqueror wrote:That... makes me feel better and worse at the same time?

It's reassuring disappointment. Or maybe disappointing reassurance.

I'm a civil engineer, so anything I say that doesn't include the word "sustainability" stands a high chance of being made up.

It's like hearing that the cancer is gone, but it's because your immune system is in overdrive and attacking everything including your meninges.

Wait, bad analogy. Also really morbid. But I can't think of a better one, so I'll just leave that there.

robmobz

Postby robmobz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:12 am UTC

I am Robert, not very good at introducing myself but the noob thread said to introduce my self here. I have a bit of an interest in many areas but especially computing (not got that far yet), Firefly never should have been canceled.
Currently at college doing maths,physics and computing.
Ethnicity: White, British
Male
Prefers to be called: Rob, Robert, Robmobz, robmobz
A bit shy so don't be too put off if I don't seem particually activr, I just lurk alot.

Eternal Density

ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY MOLPY UP INTO MORDOR

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:53 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Hi everyone!
I've been reading for... hmm, well over the year. I usually read the comic discussion threads and finally had to reply, so here I am.
I'm 22, have a Software Engineering degree from University of Canberra, and am a programmer for CSIRO. The 'density' of my name is a BTTF reference. I'm also (extremely) into Stargate (to the point of fanfic writing) and (more recently) the Half Life series. I declare October 10th to be observed as Talk Like a Turret Day, since it will be the birthday of the Orange Box and release day of Portal Prelude.

I live on a 5 acre rural block with my parents (and my 4 siblings, all younger). I have a wicked and fast sense of humour and often spout one-liners and private in-jokes for my own amusement. I like lolcats and have lost twenty dollars and my self respect. Python rules! Lua and DirectX are an interesting combination resulting in the only 100% grade for the final assignment of 'Game Programming Techniques' which was my favourite university unit by far (and probably the one I put the most work into). Oh, and I was homeschooled through all of high-school. (which does firefox suggest 'schoolgirl' as a correction for 'highschool'?)

I also know that there is still a printout of Orphaned Projects stuck on the window of the computer lab in the University of Canberra engineering building which I used for my final year project (with my two best friends who are also xkcd fans. They're also to blame for getting me hooked on Stargate). And I also ramble a lot and then point it out at the end. But I avoid self-referential jokes, especially ironic ones. Wait...

I also expect no one bothered to read that, but I'm used to being ignored. I like being ignored. And if I say that enough times, I'll believe it. (lol!)

Update, 5 and a half (approx) years and 3500 posts (nearly all in Comic Discussions and a huge amount in the Time thread) later: the printout of Orphaned Projects is gone. I still ramble a lot, am recently self-employed, and completely forgot about Talk Like a Turret Day. I still live in the same place with the same people which is fine. It's many years since I wrote any fanfic, though I have rewritten a bunch of songs to be Time (or Time Thread) themed. I also made a game called Sandcastle Builder which is a really really strange idle/incremental game in the vein of Cookie Clicker but Time-y.

Anyhow, welcome all, new and old! :D
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Killerofsheep

Postby Killerofsheep » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:07 pm UTC

New here; figured I might as well introduce myself. My name's Alexander, but you can call me KoS.

I like music, and it has always been an important part of my life; I listen to post-rock, ambient and folk. My favourite artists are: Oneohtrix Point Never, Neutral Milk Hotel, Gas and Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

I am an aspiring vet, with hopes of finishing high-school with a high enough score to get into the course. And as such science and maths are a passion; mainly bio and chem, but physics is cool too I guess.

In my spare time I do graphical (mostly pixel) art and play games.

I browse various forums and occasionally moderate.

I know some Java, Javascript, HTML and CSS, and Lua.

I just finished reading all of xkcd, saving Click and Drag, and Time for last which I finished not an hour ago. I hear there's a thread I need to read, which I hope to start soon (I find the whole idea of a sub-community in a community very interesting, and how the sub-community seems to have almost outgrown the community in a way even more so.)

(Please excuse any errors and/or disjointed thoughts and ideas, it is currently 2am and I should really be sleeping.)

Stu Pickles

Postby Stu Pickles » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:56 am UTC

Post rock, eh? You into Tortoise? What do you think about post metal and post punk and those other post genres?

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:38 am UTC

Liking GY!BE - you have a good taste! Or at least taste with similarities to mine, but those are practically the same thing. The other names don't tell me much, but I'll check them out.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:42 am UTC

Killerofsheep wrote:I know some Java, Javascript, HTML and CSS, and Lua.

Perhaps participanting in the red spider project would be something for you? There's a link in my signature if you're interested. :-)
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:48 pm UTC

voicedotter wrote:Hi there, some of you know me, and some dont, I am voicedotter, back again and hoping to stay back.

I am a computer networking student in New Zealand, I play table top games, video games, card games,want to know more ask me :D

Also welcome all you new people, avoid the door to the left as the raptors are down there. No body wants them out again.

I remember you! Welcome back!
ChronosDragon wrote:It's like hearing that the cancer is gone, but it's because your immune system is in overdrive and attacking everything including your meninges.

Wait, bad analogy. Also really morbid. But I can't think of a better one, so I'll just leave that there.

I for one liked the analogy.

Killerofsheep

Postby Killerofsheep » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:15 pm UTC

Thanks for the welcomes!

Jplus wrote:Perhaps participanting in the red spider project would be something for you? There's a link in my signature if you're interested. :-)

I'll have a look when I next get some free moments.

Stu Pickles wrote:Post rock, eh? You into Tortoise? What do you think about post metal and post punk and those other post genres?

Not really into tortoise, but they could be worse. Other post-genres aren't really my thing, but some are definately better than their non-post counterparts.

Ubik wrote:Liking GY!BE - you have a good taste! Or at least taste with similarities to mine, but those are practically the same thing. The other names don't tell me much, but I'll check them out.

For OPN, I recommend starting with Returnal, as Rifts can be a bit heavy at times.

sackofchimneys

Postby sackofchimneys » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:10 am UTC

Hi, I’m sackofchimneys. I actually joined back in 2012 (didn’t realise it’d been so long!), and just haven’t had the guts to post anything until now. But I’ve been trying to make myself be a bit more social lately, so here I am, posting this.

I'm a 24-year-old guy, studying civil engineering and supposed to graduate this year (a little scary). I’ve been learning German for ages, and have a surprising lack of fluency to show for it – but it’s been fun and interesting all the same. I watch way too much TV. I read, sometimes. And apart from that, I spend most of my time dicking around on sites like this. So, hello!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:38 pm UTC

Welcome aboard. We don't bite.

Unless you ask. Then we bite. We bite like the dickens. But only if you ask.

'cause we're polite.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:04 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Welcome aboard. We don't bite.

'cause we're polite.

and then if someone doesn't ask, SexyTalon will bite them.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:00 am UTC

Don't spoil it.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:32 am UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:Welcome aboard. We don't bite.

'cause we're polite.

and then if someone doesn't ask, SexyTalon will bite them.

If you get bit by a SexyTalon, do you turn into one?

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:25 pm UTC

Consider myself introduced :P

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:31 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Tomlidich the second wrote:and then if someone doesn't ask, SexyTalon will bite them.
I hope not. One of me is bad enough. A dozen?

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:25 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Tomlidich the second wrote:and then if someone doesn't ask, SexyTalon will bite them.
I hope not. One of me is bad enough. A dozen?

I don't think the servers this fora are hosted on could handle that much snark.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu May 01, 2014 10:08 am UTC

sackofchimneys wrote:Hi, I’m sackofchimneys. I actually joined back in 2012 (didn’t realise it’d been so long!), and just haven’t had the guts to post anything until now. But I’ve been trying to make myself be a bit more social lately, so here I am, posting this.

I'm a 24-year-old guy, studying civil engineering and supposed to graduate this year (a little scary). I’ve been learning German for ages, and have a surprising lack of fluency to show for it – but it’s been fun and interesting all the same. I watch way too much TV. I read, sometimes. And apart from that, I spend most of my time dicking around on sites like this. So, hello!

Komm rüber in den Deutsch-Thread! :-) viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15569
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Treferwynd

Postby Treferwynd » Thu May 15, 2014 5:22 pm UTC

First post here!

I'm Tref, a 23 year old math student, bit of a musician and a totally professional procrastinator.

In the last few years I've been interested more and more in Linux (or, if Stallman is lurking, GNU/Linux) and programming, learnt my way around some languages like C, Javascript, Python and Java, especially on top of Android for which I develop apps with two friends of mine.
I'm an Arch Linux user, which means I have lots of problems, and a regex ninja, which means I also create lots of problems.

I'a great Douglas Adams and Glenn Gould fan.

Also, I really like cursing.

strake

Postby strake » Fri May 16, 2014 5:30 am UTC

Treferwynd wrote:I'm an Arch Linux user, which means I have lots of problems

Ah yes, I've been there...

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Fri May 16, 2014 8:10 am UTC

Treferwynd wrote:In the last few years I've been interested more and more in Linux (or, if Stallman is lurking, GNU/Linux) and programming, learnt my way around some languages like C, Javascript, Python and Java, especially on top of Android for which I develop apps with two friends of mine.
I'm an Arch Linux user, which means I have lots of problems, and a regex ninja, which means I also create lots of problems.

Welcome, Treferwynd!

How should we pronounce your name?

As you are into programming and Linux, you might be interested in the red spider project. It's linked from my signature.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Treferwynd

Postby Treferwynd » Fri May 16, 2014 8:48 am UTC

Jplus wrote:Welcome, Treferwynd!

How should we pronounce your name?

Thank you!

Well that's tough, going for the easy one you can say "Tref" with the "e" pronounced like in "red", for the complete name:
"Tre" is pronounced as in "TREmendous"
"fer" as in "FERvor"
"wynd" as "wind"

Jplus wrote:As you are into programming and Linux, you might be interested in the red spider project. It's linked from my signature.

Yes I was going through the github repo yesterday, it does seem an interesting project!

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon May 19, 2014 10:35 pm UTC

Treferwynd wrote:I'm an Arch Linux user, which means I have lots of problems,

no no no, those are FEATURES.

metaer

Postby metaer » Thu May 22, 2014 10:09 pm UTC

Hi, I'm metaer. I don't spam.
I'm female, and a science enthusiast and conlanger. I know C, Python, Javascript and HTML/CSS. I draw; I play tabletop RPGs; I'm a classical music fan. I deliver bad jokes like nobody's business.
Yep, that's it for now. Hello, everyone.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri May 23, 2014 8:13 pm UTC

Hello metaer, feel welcomed and enjoy the forum, you look like you will fit right in.

addams

Postby addams » Mon May 26, 2014 5:02 am UTC

Bad Jokes?!
We need more bad jokes.
Or; The same old jokes told badly, again.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

SDK

Postby SDK » Mon May 26, 2014 7:11 pm UTC

Hello! I'm posting here because Angua asked me to so that I have a postcount and can therefore post without needing moderator approval.

xkcd is a good comic. I like playing mafia. That's why I'm here. Have a nice day!

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Mon May 26, 2014 8:50 pm UTC

It took me a while to figure out why Angua would need that.

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

ajh

Postby ajh » Sat May 31, 2014 10:23 am UTC

Hey! I’ve read almost all of the strips and constantly cite them. This forum is my new home! Just gotta decide which topics I’m interested in …
I play some instruments, I dance (had a performance on Thursday), I kind of like useless theoretical stuff like brainfuck and philosophical discussions (ambiguity intended). As a native speaker, I’m looking forward to see you in the German practice thread. Because two people wrote about procrastinating on this page, I was reminded I could tell you that I don’t; I have priorities. Like spending half an hour tuning the formulation of this post. And finding the damn semicolon in Neo. Wouldn’t have been faster with QWERTZ (funny to type). Anyway, see you!

onoresrts63

Postby onoresrts63 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:42 am UTC

Hello there! I'm a bit of a newbie here :P So far, I'm enjoying on the math and science forum here! :mrgreen: Hope I can see more interesting forums :D

SFX

Postby SFX » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:10 pm UTC

Poopenheimer wrote:Welcome all who I haven't already welcomed. Have fun!

Join the xkcd forum they said.

It will be fun they said.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:19 am UTC

Who said that? Who's the dirty liar spreading slander and misinformation?

StapleHorseOctopus

Postby StapleHorseOctopus » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:37 am UTC

Hi there, I'm (points at right side of screen).

I'm 33 years old and have been reading xkcd on and off since a few years. Today I decided it was time to join yet another forum (that should be number 30 or so...).

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:37 pm UTC

By the way, there is an alternate theme, where the avatars and nicks appear at the left.

Welcome, enjoy your 30th forum!

gottemer123

Postby gottemer123 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:47 pm UTC

Hi all!
I am gottemer123. I found out about xkcd from the "Sudo make me a sandwich" comic, and every comic I read cracks me up.
I also love to play mafia.

mosgi

Postby mosgi » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:55 pm UTC

Greetings, O great and might fora!

*ahem* What I mean is, hello everyone! I'm a current maths student at Cambridge University and am either a mathematician who wants to be a physicist or a physicist who wants to be a mathematician, depending on what day it is. I also code in C and Python (and, currently, *lots* of assembly) but have also been meaning to learn Haskell properly. So I'll mostly be hanging around the Maths, Science and Coding boards, though I might show up in other places occasionally.

What other stuff is worth mentioning? Well, presumably you'll want to use pronouns at some point, so go with 'he' (I'm a cis guy). I'm also aro and gray-ace, which I didn't realise was a thing until about a year ago.

Return to “General”