INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kazuke

Re: POST HERE FIRST - INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby Kazuke » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:19 pm UTC

Hello. Long time lurker, finally decided to join because this forum seems to hold morality and intelligence at a much higher value than most other forums I've been to, and because XKCD is one of my favorite webcomics.

sarah
I hate bananas.

Postby sarah » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:41 pm UTC

exliontamer wrote:I'm from MD. 'Round about Rockville. What part do you live in?

Cool! I'm in Gaithersburg at the moment.

Maseiken wrote:Aren't you the one we occasionally dump PMs for other people on, Just to spite Said "Other People"?

I... don't think so? I got one PM about a game of tag that confused me, but I don't think I've gotten any others.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:06 pm UTC

I think it's more likely that you have a banana because davean was making Gordon the banana mod, and needed someone to test the gif on.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

El Skid

Postby El Skid » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:14 pm UTC

Hey guys,

Recently stumbled onto xkcd, and it's been way too long since I flexed my brain muscles. I do consulting work, and have been doing alot more "soft" stuff- it's been a while since I've worked on any algorithms or anything.

So anyway, thought I would stop by and use my grey matter a little bit :D

slashalt

Postby slashalt » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:22 pm UTC

Good evening, my name's Joe, I'm 17 and studying advanced maths and english language, hopefuly continuing english with film or television studies at university next year. I like sunsets and long walks along beaches.

I've not used a forum for quite some time now, so be gentle! *shields face*

BrainSlugs83

Postby BrainSlugs83 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:40 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Mikey from Seattle, I'm 24 and I've been programming since I was 11 -- I never did very well in school, so a lot of the scientificy stuff in the comics are above me, but the computery stuff isn't. -- I'm at work right now, (you can tell because I'm using a forum instead of writing code, writing code is what I do when they're not paying me! :mrgreen: ) but when I get home I might take a look around the forums more.

I've been reading this comic for ages, but was barely aware that there was a forum. :shock: I decided to get off my ass and join -- so hello everyone! 8)

jepson

Postby jepson » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:49 pm UTC

8. Let sets D, F-I and P-R be defined as follows:

D is the drinks set { Laphroaig, Guinness, Coke, Lapsang, espresso }
F is the food set { cajun, chili, vindaloo, anything spicy }
G is the geekery set { physics, math, formal logic }
H is the hobbies set { writing OSS, tinkering with microcontrollers, logic puzzles, SF, bad TV shows, worse movies, music }
I is the identification set { ponytail, glasses, T-shirt, no fsck(1)ing tie (ever!) }
P is the pointless demographics set { 32, { Stockholm, Sweden }, single }
Q is the QotD set { "If House wasn't such a bleeding-heart people person, he could've been modelled on Jepson" }
R is the recreation set { bi, poly, switch, not confused, just greedy }

A. (0.5p) Rewrite sets as lists. Quote as required.

B. (1.5p) Combine the lists. Design an expression to count the items (hint: you may find your implementation of _flatten_ from question 3 useful here). You may not use the built-in primitive _length_.

C. (3p) Design an expression that can be evaluated to give the weirdness index of the user. Assume the attribute prevalences for a suitably large sample of the population has been defined as

(define dlist
(list (attr1 percentage1)
(attr2 percentage2) ...)

(Hints: Use _map_. Any answer below 99.7% is probably wrong.)

D. (5p) Assume a raptor starts from 59.1697494° N, 18.170780° E and has access to a Gulfstream jet. Will it reach the island before the blue-eyed garden gnome rocket in the white hat escapes with the missing dollar and the cute guru? You may ignore time to refuel (assume the jet has huge ass-fuel tanks).

---
I'm JJ, and I'm too geeky for my own good. .plan: Continue spreading creative chaos. Oh, and hail Eris.
Teaspoon wrote:Oh no! The tyrant's planning another dice game! To the orgy-huts!

LarryGiggles

Postby LarryGiggles » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:56 pm UTC

Hi all, I'm Meg. I'm 21, and I live in Framingham, MA. I love music and I'm the GM/a DJ at WDJM, my campus radio station. (Someday I'll edit this with our website, which is under construction!)

I like meteor showers, being spontaneous, dogs, and Anna's Taqueria.

Liokae

Postby Liokae » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:59 pm UTC

Well, my name is Liokae, I registered a long time ago, pretty sure I never stopped by here, though. Didn't really post elsewhere either, though. Anywho, I moderate a different forum, I play a lot of video games and pencil/paper RPGs, mostly World of Darkness... and I like to write. Doing NaNoWriMo again this year. So.... hiyas, forum!

e of pi

Postby e of pi » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:53 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Rob from Indianapolis. Junior in high school, probably studying engineering in college, found this cartoon a month ago while web surfing the night before school started. Considering I had my first girlfriend this summer, and she dumped me the day before the camp we were attending ended, reading XKCD was sort of a combination of a good way to forget and a really bad way to keep from forgeting. As if to illustrate this, the cartoon that finally brought me to the forums was #334, Wasteland, which has made me depressed for...well...a good ten, twenty minutes now because it's so goddamned similar to how I feel, instead of say, 325, which made me laugh so hard I fell out of my chair (which, incidently, did not come shipped with a large cat when my Mom bought it). Go figure.

BrainSlugs83

Postby BrainSlugs83 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:04 pm UTC

As if to illustrate this, the cartoon that finally brought me to the forums was #334, Wasteland, which has made me depressed for...well...a good ten, twenty minutes now because it's so goddamned similar to how I feel
Todays comic has messed me up a little mentally too. Oh well, it's the weekend cheer up, go meet some new people, have fun.

Spiral-Architect

Postby Spiral-Architect » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:06 pm UTC

Hi everyone. I was redirected here after starting out by posting a couple of links.
So... sorry :)

My name's Dave, I'm 24, live in Israel and do 3D animation for a living. I also draw, listen to a lot of music and try forming meta-patterns in my brain in my free time ;)
I'm not sure what else I should say in an intro..

Time to hit the message boards, let's see what's up in this forum..
Age is a terrible price to pay for maturity.

Dragon Slayer

Postby Dragon Slayer » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:24 pm UTC

Hey.
My name's David.
I'm 16, I live in northern British Columbia.

I've been reading XKCD for about a year.
Just decided to become a member of the forum today. Figured I'd check and see what it's all about here.

I may lurk a bit before I become an active member.

Anyway, I like listening to rock and progressive metal.
I like reading - fantasy mostly - and writing - also fantasy - and I like online communities.

I have a bone disorder called Osteogenesis Imperfecta, aka O.I. aka Brittle Bones.
I've got the mildest type of it, so I'm pretty lucky to have broken only 50 times. I know people with the same thing who have broken like 400 times and are only a few years older than myself.

Anyway, just figured I'd post a bit about myself before I continue my exploration of the forum. :)

Rubby

Postby Rubby » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:00 am UTC

Hello my name's Ryan.
I'm 24 and I'm in my 3rd year of computer science education.
I live in Canada (Vancouver) and it's true what they say about dying here.
My friends all actually call me Rubby (rub-bee not ruby) because of an unfortunate incident at a party some years back.
I've been lurking for about a year now, and I'm posting this because sometimes I want to reply to a thread, but then I stop and realize that I'll get pounced on. So this post is basically my safe-guard; it cant be claimed I didn't introduce myself if I decide to say something one day.
Thanks.

-Ryan

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:32 am UTC

sarah wrote:
Maseiken wrote:Aren't you the one we occasionally dump PMs for other people on, Just to spite Said "Other People"?

I... don't think so? I got one PM about a game of tag that confused me, but I don't think I've gotten any others.

That's the one,
When I said PMs, I actually meant PM.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

shoyer

Postby shoyer » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:24 am UTC

I'm in my final year of undergrad education at a small liberals arts college, studying mainly physics and math. I will be applying to grad school in physics very soon.

Last summer I did research on algorithms for quantum computing (specifically, quantum random walk based algorithms).

I'm looking forward to a life-time in academia, and xkcd for years to come. I strongly advocate more hard core nerdy physics/math jokes.
Last edited by shoyer on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Benny the Bear

Postby Benny the Bear » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:50 am UTC

Hello, I'm Benny, and I'm a grizzly bear living in Australia.

I enjoy programming, some PC gaming, and ruining picnics and stealing all the food.

mudge

Postby mudge » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:59 am UTC

I'm a math grad student at UIC

I have a take-home midterm this weekend, and it sucked away my ability to write anything interesting in this post. Damn.
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mudge <-- buy my CD (Now back in stock!)

baf

Postby baf » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:13 am UTC

I don't really want you to know about me. I only joined to post something to the math jokes thread on the math board, and then realized that I'd have to post here to risk violating etiquette. But knowing that I'm unfriendly and secretive is something about me, so now you know something about me.

Eleyras

Postby Eleyras » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:59 am UTC

Posting here because it says to.

My boyfriend linked me to this comic and I loved it, and so read all of them. I like the themes of the comic, being one of those rare nerd girls. Fun times. Am not a spambot?

I'm in my first year of college, taking a lot of random classes to explore things. 's about it.
At some point, I will remember to sig quotes I find amusing or something.

...once I stop laughing.

mikegoo

Postby mikegoo » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:17 am UTC

Been a lurker for a bit. Decided to make a post. This is not exactly an informative intro.

FurbyFubar

Postby FurbyFubar » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:01 am UTC

Hi, I'm not new here, I've been lurking for I don't know, maybe a year?

I'm a 27 years old, male, from Stockholm, Sweden.

I tend to define myself through my hobbies. (Perfect, now I almost wrote "my hobby" meaning you are waiting for a laugh and you won't find one. Drat.)

Some things that interest me are game design (on computers and in reality), juggling, fire arts, close up magic and science fiction. I mostly listen to new wave music, future pop and electronic music you can dance to. I'm also in the habit of listening to what people say instead of what they mean. This does of course not mean that I myself never say stupid things, especially in English. It is after all my second language.

I put together a juggling street show with a friend this summer and next summer we will be even better. We juggle dressed up as Super Mario Bros, hence my avatar. Good juggling/busking jokes on a Mario/Luigi-theme would be appreciated*, not a problem if they are puns that only work in English as most of the time we do the show in English anyhow given that tourists are the best tippers and Swedish people for some reason think that you don't deserve the money if you live in the country you preform.

Oh, yeah, I'm also gay, but that's not really important enough to deserve its own paragraph, so let me also mention that I'm right handed and have coded JScript games pushing 5000 lines on the basis that I hadn't learned a programming language...

That should give you a rough idea I think?

/FurbyFubar

*Except for the obvious ones. "Come on people, we need 100 coins for an extra life!" and the drop-line "Maybe we/you should cut back on those shrooms..?" really did write themself.

ColBosch

Postby ColBosch » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:09 am UTC

Heya all. Been reading for...oh, about three months now. I burned through the archives in about two days (man, that was a trip). I don't usually register for webcomic forums, but today's strip struck a chord with me.

Melly

Postby Melly » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:38 am UTC

Hey folks. I'm Mel. I'm from North Dakota. Uuhh. I constantly try to get people to read XKCD and now I want to discuss it too!

apfergus

Postby apfergus » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:00 pm UTC

I'm a graduate student. In the event that I don't go completely crazy in the next few years, I'll have a degree in particle astrophysics and absolutely no idea what to do with myself. Somewhere between Carl Sagan and the other people who showed me how cool science was when I was a kid and the modern communicative power of the blag-o-blag there is an answer. I will find it.

As soon as I finish reading comics...

MartianInvader

Postby MartianInvader » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:21 pm UTC

Hi, I'm a math grad student in the US. Stumbled onto xkcd a while ago and loved it (I really identified with a lot of the comics in the archives). I really liked the math and logic puzzles parts of these forums, and finally got around to registering today.
Let's have a fervent argument, mostly over semantics, where we all claim the burden of proof is on the other side!

jaimeastorga2000

Postby jaimeastorga2000 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:46 pm UTC

I'm an 18 year old Peruvian who is currently studying at Michael Krop. Hoping to go to MIT to study something quantitative. ^.^

I think xkcd is great!
"Screw the rules, I have money!" ~ Seto Kaiba, Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series

spoonifur

Postby spoonifur » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:48 pm UTC

I'm Canadian, in grade 10 ("sophmore" is it?) and in an arts program in my highschool. I'm not too cute, and don't have boobs, so highschool is really lame.

Uhh, well I read a lot of webcomics and only really frequent one forum. But it's intresting level is slowing down, so I joined this one? That and my love for XKCD.

I'm horrible at introductions, there's always my about page on my website though~

RRRR

Postby RRRR » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:09 am UTC

G'Day, I'm me.

I'm a programmer for a bank, UniBasic/UniData and C#/ASP .NET, because, you know, they are so similiar and all...

Absolutely love these comics, I've got several on my walls at work.
If not now, when? If not me, who?

CaraInFrames wrote:RRRR is purrrty.
:D

loratwopointone

Postby loratwopointone » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:23 am UTC

I'm Lora 2.1 (loratwopointone on here as I couldn't put spaces in my name) and currently live in a field just outside of Manchester, UK.

I registered quite a while ago, but have been a long time lurker. I thought I'd come in and actually introduce myself. I play the trumpet, piano, flute, violin and guitar and study CS. I couldn't live without coffee, Dr Pepper and StumbleUpon. I dislike feet and seafood and spend the majority of my life at my computer or in my Students Union bar.
Goth Juice - The most powerful hairspray known to man. Made from the tears of Robert Smith.

th3operaman

Postby th3operaman » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:17 am UTC

so my name is alec and im a junior at head-royce (high school) in oakland CA, and im extremely nerdy. you can find me in the hardest science and math classes i can find (im not particularly good at either, but i love them both dearly).
thought you may not know me, i warp your spacetime. muahahaha. k enough about that.
i also like to sing, act, ski, bike, run, play frisbee, and learn.
in ur lightcone warpun ur spacetime

novadog

Postby novadog » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:35 am UTC

Been reading XKCD for a while, decided to register.
My name is mike(nice and unique....) I am a mechanical engineering senior at Purdue university. I also like to work in electromagnetics. The programing jokes are usually a little out of my field.
My interests include cycling, playing squash, outdoorsmanship (climbing mountains especially), and Go (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_%28board_game%29 I am a mere 6kyu).

aleph_one

Postby aleph_one » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:45 pm UTC

I'm Alex. I'm a college math major who enjoys board games, juggling, lurking in forums for long periods of time, and proving that I'm not a spam-bot. Right now, I'm interested in learning set theory and abstract algebra.

DeadCatX2

Postby DeadCatX2 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:13 pm UTC

>.>
<.<

I should have posted an intro earlier. Oops?

24/m/Pittsburgh PA

I'm a hopelessly romantic geeky programmer type who knows some math and physics and has a sick sense of humor. XKCD is, therefore, a reflection of my soul.

My field is computer engineering. I work with FPGAs, microcontrollers, and PCs...I guess I work the entire Computer Food Chain, from transistor to application. My preference is for low-level stuff...I like to browse manufacturer web sites and read datasheets about various IC chips so that I may assemble them to perform some function.

One of my major hobbies is a dancegame called ITG. (most of you are probably familiar with DDR) I am quite proficient, as can be seen in this youtube video

AIM, gmail, myspace, etc. all match my forum name.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:31 pm UTC

Hi

I'm Mike. I'm a 23 year old grad student in British Columbia. Love the comic.

Cheers
Mike
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

keepkate

Postby keepkate » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:14 pm UTC

Hi I'm Kate

23. From Sheffield, England.

I have the honour of being part of the ranks of geeky techy girls!

XKCD is intelligent, beautiful and wonderfully funny. It would be my pleasure to join in your discussions.

Much love. me.x

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:23 pm UTC

Geeky techy girl?

I think we'll keep you, Kate.

(Hee!)
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

sand

Postby sand » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:30 am UTC

I'm a 24 year old Australian male.
Like most Australians I work and drink too much, spend too much money and think I'm a better driver than I am.

the_moose

Postby the_moose » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:36 am UTC

I am moose...not A moose...the moose thing started when i was playing Halo (or similar) and it gave me a random name which turned out to be moose.
i joined so i could ask a question about c++...which i am about to do...

highly

Postby highly » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:43 am UTC

Sup guys. I'm highly, my real name is tyler, and I frewuent a forum called darkdemon

Return to “General”