Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

nicky

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby nicky » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

Hello,

My name is Nick. I'm male and 28. Hmm, also Electronic Engineering graduate, now a part time mathematics undergraduate (studying as a hobby), have worked as a software engineer for 6 years. I'm a piano player. I appreciate a good walk in the hills of england, and a pint of real ale.

See you around!

centaurboi2

Postby centaurboi2 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:57 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Nick, I've been lurking here for a while reading a few post here and there and decided it was time to make an intro post. I'm not the most active forum-er, but I will try to post a bit more regularly. Anyways so far, my favorite forum is the coding one.

~Nick

capella

Postby capella » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:AAAAAAAAH capella.

I'm so very sorry.

Tears. Many tears. How long will the binary star Capella be compared to Where in the World is Carmen San Diego? A travesty and funny at that :D

chionophile

Postby chionophile » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:33 pm UTC

I guess I ought to at least introduce myself here before I post much more. I don't usually do introductions online, but what the hell...

I'm currently a senior at UW-Madison double majoring in Materials Science Engineering and Chemistry. Fun, right? I like skiing and reading and computers and... other stuff, I guess. I'm not really all that interesting of a person, so I'm just gonna leave it at that. Oh, the screen name means "lover of snow" for those who are too lazy to ask or look it up.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

I never made a intro, but as you can see I've posted. ALOT.
Anywho, I'm 14; and I currently reside in Montana.
I was born and raised in Santa Cruz CA for about 7 years, then moved hear after the divorce.
I love gaming, science, intelectuals; and of course teh intertubs.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

rossy

Postby rossy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:11 am UTC

Hi there!
I decided to finally register myself after some time of silent reading. I study computer science in Karlsruhe and kinda like science fiction.

ryantmer

Postby ryantmer » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:18 am UTC

Name's ryantmer. I'm thoroughly uninteresting, but I'm very good at it.

Been reading xkcd for about a year, but only just realized there wre forums... oh my.

Look, butterflies.

Simply Curious

Postby Simply Curious » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:30 am UTC

I've been reading xkcd and the fora for a while and decided to register myself so that I could actually contribute.

I enjoy math and the hard sciences for studying, and science fiction for reading.

emomanisme

Postby emomanisme » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:44 am UTC

hi i'm peter i'm 15 i'm a texan living in utah and i'm also sensitive about the topic of our current pres in relation to my home state um... i like LOTR and Dune and reading in general and lastly i am aware that this is a huge run-on sentence. :twisted: :mrgreen: :evil:
huh? what are you looking down here for the only thing anyone would put down here is some legal thing to save their butts go away read the post thats what it's there for

this person may eat you

hollygolightly

Postby hollygolightly » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:30 am UTC

I too have read xkcd for an embarrassing amount of time before realizing there were forums attached. I'm a chem/computer science double major at a midwest liberal arts school and reading/joining this forum is a great way to procrastinate when I should be studying organic chemistry.

In my spare time, I enjoy reading (dabbling in various genres... my guilty pleasures are Dick Francis horse racing mystery novels), doing the New York Times crossword puzzle and running fairly long distances. My favorite color is green and my favorite food is grapefruit. I think that about sums it up.

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:05 am UTC

nicky wrote:I'm a piano player.

Hooray!! :)

also:
nicky wrote:Hello,

My name is Nick.

centaurboi2 wrote:Hi, I'm Nick,

whoa deja vu!

Hello Nick... and Nick... and others who are not Nick...
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

ivysbuddy

Postby ivysbuddy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:12 am UTC

Hiya. I'm Will, and I'm a Combat Coder--we're a team of USAF software engineers in the desert--and I may very well be the stupidest person on these forums.

I think the first truly intellectual undertaking I've ever...uh...undertaken...was reading Isaac Asimov's Understanding Physics when I was twelve. I figured it's been almost 15 years since then; it was time for another one. I registered here.

Boy, am I glad to be here.
"Someday...we're gonna rise up on the wind, you know...Someday, we gonna dance with those lions..."

bbishop

Postby bbishop » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:24 am UTC

Hi. Josh here. I'm 22. Currently a math/computer science double major. I've lurked around the various fora for a while before deciding to post. As for personal interests...I play violin and study Japanese. I also happen to like video games (mostly RPGs).

Earl Grey

Postby Earl Grey » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:17 am UTC

Good (morning/evening) everyone. I am breaking a strict (okay, maybe not really that strict) policy of forum lurking here, but its hard to lurk amidst a community of so many obviously shiny people.

Got linked to XKCD about a month ago, read through it all in a single sitting (changed me fundamentally, possibly at a molecular level), and fortunately, it didn't take overlong for me to find the forums link. Glad to enjoy the space with you (and just who 'you' are will become more apparent after I slough through the 100 pages of this thread. Yes, it will be done).

I'm 24, Canadian (the flattest part of it), and in my fourth year of a Religious Studies degree (yes, I have to consult my Engineering friends at times to fully appreciate the full range of XKCD). Amateur musician of 10 years, interested in anthropology, and performing of all kinds (theatre, musical, improv). I'm an EVE-Online addict, enjoy table-top RPGs, board games of all sorts (Cataan, whoo), and the occasional old school console game. Oh, diehard fan of Joss Whedon's Firefly series, God rest her soul. Stephen King's Dark Tower series needs a more than honorable mention, too.

It's a sincere pleasure to make your acquaintance.
"You're human, which is sort of like an ape that builds airplanes and gets depressed over stupid shit."

~Tac-Tics

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:25 pm UTC

gnartoons.com wrote:My name's James and I'm 1/2 giant sloth and 1/2 hoovering flourescent trapezoid.

Pix or it didn't happen.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Konrad

Postby Konrad » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:26 pm UTC

Hi,

I'm Konrad from Germany. I'm a TA and student of computational biology at the Freie Universität in Berlin and I spend most of my time writing software for diverse projects. I've been reading XKCD comics for some time but until recently I've ignored the exitence of these boards. Some interesting discussions finally lured me here.

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:52 pm UTC

Earl Grey wrote:Oh, diehard fan of Joss Whedon's Firefly series, God rest her soul.

:D :D good on you. I will be watching some Firefly tonight, I haven't in ... a few nights.

Welcome to everyone! (Although I'm not sure I'm non-new enough myself to get away with welcoming people yet!)
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

Some_Random_Guy

Postby Some_Random_Guy » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:55 am UTC

Hello, my name is Some_Random_Guy and I frequently lie about my real life age, occupation, and gender.

I am a 36 year-old male runway model.
I don't like Haikus
I think that they're all stupid
Is this ironic?

Rigorin

Postby Rigorin » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:50 am UTC

My name is [NAME] and I am [AGE]. I am a graduate of [SCHOOL] and I a--

BWAHAHA!!! How did I even type that with a straight face!?

My name is Robert. You may call me Rob, or Robbie, or just Rig if it's easier (because of my username.)

I am 25 years old. I think. I have to count.

...*mumble*Carry the two...*mumble*

Yeah, 25. My life goal is to be a video game designer. I am very creative and a good writer. I cook a turkey in the dishwasher every day, and I always remember to put the washing machine in the dryer.

I am dizzy from spinning in my chair and just blinded myself from looking at my ultra-bright lamp to see what it would be like to have a bang grenade go off in your face.

I love gaming, fighting, and RPing. Hence my desire to be a video game designer. My dog is a coyote.

Now excuse me, I must go shoot and pistol whip myself and then terrorize an orphanage. (I hate orphans. And nuns.)

Wait, before I go.

My avi is hand-made and colored with a coating of tiny little pieces of rubber-cemented construction paper. Something I like to brag about.

Postby 0.0 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:54 am UTC

I am new.

I been reading the comics for awhile and recently wandered into the forum. I'll probably start posting soon and blessing you with my ridicolous opinions, but that will have to wait a little longer. Tonight I am staying up all night in order to catch a plane from DC to Hong Kong at 6:00 am. I will be back in 2 weeks, and if I find out nobody welcomed me to the forum I am going have to DOUBLE POST!!

Anyway, I am very tired and have a loong night ahead of me. I say that like I am going somewhere. Heck, I am going to be revisting this thread off and on for the next couple of hours. What else am I going to do, its 1:00 am on a week night and I have about 10 minutes of packing to do before my plane takes off at 6:45 am.

regards,
"Life at any time can become difficult. Life at any time can become easy. It all depends upon how one adjusts oneself to life."

jameslao

Postby jameslao » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:38 am UTC

Greetings. My name is James, I'm 16, from Oregon. I'm a senior in high school and I will be attending Carnegie Mellon University in the fall as a CS major. I've worked as a web developer, but school makes me a student most of the year. :)

I first heard about xkcd on the Tekzilla podcast of all places and became hooked after the first comic.

tr0nk

Postby tr0nk » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:11 am UTC

25/m/somerville
went to roflcon
dang.. exhausted
having trouble loading code onto an atmega168 any tips would be appreciated

TravisElliot

Postby TravisElliot » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:20 am UTC

Greetings and salutations. I'm Travis Jordan, and I've been lurking in these here forums for a little over a year now. Currently studying Year 12 (senior year), and live in the vicinity of BrisVegas, Australia. Generally, I prefer to read, but occasionally post on topics that amuse or anger me.

æðelingas_lufiend

Postby æðelingas_lufiend » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:39 am UTC

Delurking...

I'm human (so I'm told). I'm into Anglo-Saxon language and Culture, but as I'm a geek, I also love XKCD.

If you don't care to go ascii on my alias, I'll also answer to aethelingas_lufiend...

kgirl06

Postby kgirl06 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:44 am UTC

*Posting without reading all the others, as there are 102 pages of posts*

I'm Ami, 20 years old, from San Antonio, TX. I have three XKCD comics on my MySpace page, and I haven't yet decided whether this is kudos-worthy or just pathetic. I think it might be a bit of both.

I don't follow threads religiously, unless it's a thread that I think is worthwhile, and so I'm not going to rack up a hundred posts in a week. At least, I don't think I've gone that far into becoming an Internet geek. I may have. I don't know. Who knows anymore?
my friend Catherine says μ.

English lurks in dark alleyways, beats up other languages, and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

hamaryns

Postby hamaryns » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:21 am UTC

I’m Hendrik, and I don’t like repeating myself, so I’ll just mention my website (though it isn’t up-to-date either): http://tcl.sfs.uni-tuebingen.de/~hendrik/.

Flagpole Sitta

Postby Flagpole Sitta » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:22 pm UTC

Hi! My name is Sarah, and I think I’m cool. :D I’ve been reading the web-comic for a long time and lurking in the forums for a while too, and now I’ve finally decided to get an account and post. But I’m a lurker, I lurk, so you’ll probably not see very much of me.

A little bit about me: I like people, I like learning about them, I like talking to them, I like spending time with them. I also like role-playing games, playing rugby, kayaking, watching Dr. Who, reading Pet Shop of Horrors, playing Viola, throwing Discus, and lifting weights. I like reading classic literature and comic books, I like watching artsy films and action flicks; I am both a nerd and a jock, a bundle of social paradoxes.
I am constantly searching for interesting people to meet, to learn about, to befriend, and to fall in love with, and I love making connections with strangers.

I feel like this sums me up pretty well for now, but I’m a dynamic kind of person who is constantly changing and this little chunk of text describes me about as well as wet describes the ocean.

EDIT: To give y'all a bit of a concrete picture of me I feel it's important to add that I'm finishing up my last year of high school, I live in the suburbs of Washington D.C., USA, I'm tall, blonde and large without being fat. I'm strong for a girl, but I am defiantly NOT a bodybuilder. (bench 125, hang clean 150, squat 300) And I can’t spell, please be patient.
Poxic is, like, awesome. She's my favorite.

Kapojinha is pretty awesome too. <3

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:34 pm UTC

We share the same hobbies: I also like perching atop a flagpole.

And welcome, all.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

hypoglycemic

Postby hypoglycemic » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:19 pm UTC

Hey hey, My name is H and I am an interaction designer form Oz. I like corn. I do.

I mostly lurk around in the coding forum, but I am trying to up my math, physics and electronics knowledge.

Ryouko

Postby Ryouko » Thu May 01, 2008 2:06 am UTC

Hi, My name is Joey, recently informally changed to Joe. I am 19 and attend Rowan University in New Jersey. I am going for Electrical and Computer Engineering, originally from Connecticut. I love this comic, not just because I think it is funny, but it makes me feel understood.

I like computers and I am not extremely good at one thing, but I know a lot about a lot.
I have played diablo, diablo 2, counter strike, battlefield, call of duty and WoW.

-- flagpolesitta can lift more than me.

FortMax

Postby FortMax » Thu May 01, 2008 2:44 am UTC

Hello. My name is Chris. I'm 21 and am a Junior CS major at UTDallas and live in Coppell, TX when school is out. I am a little too interested in Transformers (the action figures/cartoon/comic/movie, not the electrical component). I also have a Transformers instruction scan archive website that was mostly copy/pasted from the Wayback Machine that is 12 MB over the 300 MB limit on student websites thanks to a loophole I found when using Windows to upload files instead of Putty.

I also have urges to hold Trypticon races.
Hasbro wrote:Paramount Home Entertainment will be releasing RANSFORMERS CYBERTRON on 9.13.05

Transformers Instruction Scans from Generation 1 to Robots In Disguise
TFWiki.net: The Transformers Wiki

Zero

Postby Zero » Thu May 01, 2008 2:46 am UTC

Hi, i'm João (John in english) a 20-years-old student of biochemistry at Lisbon's University. 100% Portuguesefag. Any mate here? ;_;

Anyway,i accidentally discovered this comic, while searching for a certain strip of "Calvin & Hobbes" (!?), two years ago or something, but never noticed there was a forum, my bad. Already took a look at this, seems pretty cool. I sure will spam some boards. And just for curiosity, i also post on the /r9k/ board of 4chan.

newnajinska1

Postby newnajinska1 » Thu May 01, 2008 3:27 am UTC

my friend, thefiddler introduced me to this.
It looks cool and i LOVE the comic
but
I'm totally right brained, and do not excell at science, math, or computer programming

I have a vicious passion for pure english though.
and I dance. all the time
constantly
Lord, What fools these mortals be!

HighLordOmega

Postby HighLordOmega » Thu May 01, 2008 3:36 am UTC

Hello. My name is Ricardo Montiban*.
I am 22 years old.
I just discovered xkcd and read all of them in a single night because they were funny and thought provoking..... and I was bored.
I believe Chipmunks are out to get me.
I believe Oprah leads them.
I do not believe in Democracy or midgets.
Sometimes my brain thinking too much gets me into trouble.
I may or may not be paranoid.
I may or may not require medication and a soft room.
Thank you and have a nice day.

* Some names have been changed to protect me from the rodent menace.

The_Truth
Location: At your local Panera's eating a bacon turkey bravo.

Postby The_Truth » Thu May 01, 2008 5:42 am UTC

Hello world!

My name is William, but you may call me by my quizbowl pseudonym Wild Bill. I was born more than 15 years ago and less than 16 years ago. I only have one acknowledged fear, and that is of spider webs. Spiders? They're sweet. Their webs? Ewwww.

Anyway, I've been around these forums for a while, just browsing as a guest. I decided that it's about time for me to create an account and start posting around, probably mostly in the mathematics and the arts sections, as they are my greatest strengths. And for those who care, I discovered xkcd a few months ago while reading a questionable content comic, and Jeff mentioned the site. Checked it out, been an avid reader since :D

If you need any more non-overly-personal (for the lack of a better double-hyphenated word) information, feel free to ask. And I will see you on the forums!
I can has a cookie?

jakka_of_86

Postby jakka_of_86 » Thu May 01, 2008 7:36 am UTC

Hi.

I am a civil engineer from Brisbane, Australia, who just recently graduated. I am 22 years old. I like sports, books, drawing, learning new stuff and doing new things, in general. I am also into computer games and enjoy doing housework.

I discovered this comic accidentally, but am now busy trying to convert everyone I know to it. Seeing someone trying to organise a meet-up for Brisbane convinced me to finally start posting here.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Thu May 01, 2008 10:41 am UTC

I welcome all newcomers.

@newnajinska1 - you know thefiddler? awesome. In case you didn't know, she's a pro mod and stuff.
@HighLordOmega - you're scared of Chipmunks? Really? You've then missed the much greater threat:
Spoiler:

@jakka_of_86 - Aussie buddies! Woo! Let's get pissed and have a meat pie. Near a barbecue. Although we need a designated driver, as a) drinking and driving is illegal and b) I haven't gotten my full kangaroo licence. Only on my L's.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Thu May 01, 2008 11:31 am UTC

Hey everyone,

My name is Andrew and i currently live in New Zealand (although i grew up in Hawaii). I joined this forum because i am a complete addict for your logic puzzles. I am 19 years old and i work full time (well get paid full time, i get 24 weeks off paid) as... well i guess you would call it tech support. (Oh and i want to start playing some table top games so if anyone in new zealand is interested PM me)

oh and i like long walks on the beach and candle lit dinners. :lol:
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

jayseven
Location: Sheffield Hallam Uni / Brighton home residence, UK.

Postby jayseven » Thu May 01, 2008 2:06 pm UTC

Hallo! I'm jayseven - I know a couple of folk on the boards here already - Supergrunch and a fellow I believe going by the name 'Mat', doing the BISH game elsewhere. I'm currently attempting to write a fairy tale and commentary for 4.30pm tomorrow. I've got my 4 litres of Boost and two cold pizzas ready for the 20-hour stint I'll eventually get around to starting.

I like zombies, juggling, and alcohol. All three at once would be a godsend! I'll probably not stick my nose into the Serious Business too often, seeing as I really never know what I'm talking about, but here's seeing ya.
Dreaming of a Haunted Summer...

Leftmost Cat

Postby Leftmost Cat » Thu May 01, 2008 3:13 pm UTC

Hullo! Despite what the username says, I am Leftmost Cat. I have a long and entirely false story of the origin of the name and would be happy to waste your time reciting it. Common wisdom holds that I'm a student of twenty-two years in his eight hundred and sixty-third year of college at the University of Montana. And mere years from graduation! My major is linguistics, my minor Irish Studies. After this semester, I'll only need three upper-division math courses to earn a minor in math and so I'm doing a great deal of speculative chin-stroking over this.

My future goals involve academic work in linguistics, focusing on the Celtic languages and especially Irish. I would also like to work on creating electronic resources for speakers of minority languages with computational assistance. So the math actually makes sense. In the immediate future, I will be spending the next year on exchange at University College Cork in the southwest of Ireland, desperately trying to follow the first year Irish course for Irish students, attempting to make some sense of Old Irish and generally looking and sounding like a tourist. I have two cats. Both are disturbingly large and exceedingly annoying at five in the morning.

Return to “General”