Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby tryptanymph » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:07 am UTC

Blokey wrote:Ahoy-hoy!

I'm Eric, and contrary to popular belief, I am not a spambot.

It symbolically goes without saying (paradox-averted!) that I am a big fan of xkcd. I am here because I am a hyper-nerd and want to have nerdy discussions where I'm not the only one saying nerdy stuff.

My interests: Science of all kinds. Especially biology (I am all over evolution like something that has a high affinity for elegant science). From the cosmic scale of evolution right down to the mindintercourse that is ATP-Synthase (guys! it's a protein, but it's also a motor! duuuude!), it's all good. Also like physics and chemistry, though I've not been keeping up with that stuff as much as I'd like. Anyway, yeah, lots of nerdy-sciencey stuff. Oh, and guitar, that's my other big thing.

Here's some random info, for s's and g's: I have a habit of compulsively whistling the circus/clown music (yes, that one). For some reason I like to take the opening bit of Goldfinger (Gold-finger (mwah mwaaah wah) He's the man, the man with the Midas touch) and replace it with whatever events are currently happening or on my mind (surprise buttsex (mwah mwaaah wah), it's the buttsex, the buttsex that you don't expect). I think Phosphoric Acid has a particularly aesthetically pleasing chemical name. Oh yeah, I'm British, currently residing in the East End of Lahndahn (you slaaayg!). I have yet to find an ingredient that you can't combine with cheese. I have a number recognition/fascination which stops just short of OCD. I bite my nails. Depending on how I wear my hair, I alternately resemble Jerry Garcia, Frank Zappa, and/or (apparently) Saladin's Mom. Despite being British, I've not had a proper (propah!) cup of tea for a good few months now. And of course, I do indeed think Dark Side of the Moon is transcendent.

Erm, yes. That'll do for an introduction.

You look like Saladin's Mom? How do you know this? Have you met her? Is she hot? XD
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

socksy

Postby socksy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:09 am UTC

Hello!

That is all.

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:16 am UTC

sleepygamer wrote:You look like Saladin's Mom? How do you know this? Have you met her? Is she hot? XD

So, my first post I encounter a word-filter, and my second post I have to navigate the delicate issue of my identity pertaining to someone else's mum.

Yep, I'm definitely on the xkcd forum!

sleepygamer, can't help noticing you're from Guitarville. I myself am hopelessly guitarded, so greetings to you, sir!
Also, my OCD is kicking in already, in the last frame of your av, your hand's over the top of the fretboard, what's going on there? Just silencing noise?

Oh, yeah, the OCD thing extends to pretty much everything I come across. Everything has to line up, be parsimonous, show verisimilitude for me. I think it may partially have to do with watching a lot of Columbo as a kid. He's scruffy, and yet brilliant, perfect role-model for me.
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:27 am UTC

Yeah. Pretty much. At the time I didn't have a program that would covert videos into .gifs, so I just set my camera to burst shot, played Save Me by Damageplan for a few mins and chose whichever stills seemed to match up the best. I'm gonna record a smoother avatar when I can be arsed.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

zalamazoo

Postby zalamazoo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:11 am UTC

Hello out there. Have been posting for a few weeks and lurking even longer but thought it was time to write out a formal introduction. Or not so formal, I guess, since this is a forum and not a cocktail party.

I'm a soon-to-be college sophomore. I go to school and am from Massachusetts, but right now I'm spending the summer in Chicago for work. Living by myself is pleasantly liberating. I'm very interested in the idea of a Third Culture - i.e. reconciling science and humanities -- which means I may or may not be in the wrong forum. In any case, I'm studying neurobio or history of science so it all aligns pretty nicely. Besides the usual expected around these parts (physics, computer science -- though I don't vouch for my abilities these), some random things I'm interested are subway art, British candybars (Flakes are delicious!), and typography.

My tumblr bio is a slightly longer intro, and the tumblr as a whole is a pretty accurate snapshot of my brain.
If you're interested in time travel, meet me here yesterday.
Or you can meet me here now.

Lutetium

Postby Lutetium » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:19 am UTC

Hi all,

I originally signed up to point out that Jayne gets his rain-stick in episode 'Our Mrs. Reynolds' because it was bugging me day and night for days. But like my wiki edits - I like to procrastinate, a lot.

So yes, to introduce myself instead, because I really should stop checking and re-checking Facebook.

I am a nerdygirl, because I like biomedical science, correcting people, labs and I tend to assuming everyone knows exactly what I'm talking about when I'm rambling about IgE cross-linking on eosinophils. While I like chemistry and physics, I find that my brain doesn't and will just go into sleep mode after awhile. I love Dr Who like nothing else, oh and House M.D.. Some may recognize me from my brief appearance in the Store as the Science-It-works-Bitches!-girl, I've since quite camwhoring. I like Turkish delight.

The next uni semester is starting in a week so I probably won't be on here much at all. Hehe. That, and the fact I'll be procuring a bunny called Darcey XD
I haz awesome procrastination skills, let me show you them .... laterz.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:00 am UTC

Lutetium wrote:Hi all,

I originally signed up to point out that Jayne gets his rain-stick in episode 'Our Mrs. Reynolds' because it was bugging me day and night for days. But like my wiki edits - I like to procrastinate, a lot.

So yes, to introduce myself instead, because I really should stop checking and re-checking Facebook.

I am a nerdygirl, because I like biomedical science, correcting people, labs and I tend to assuming everyone knows exactly what I'm talking about when I'm rambling about IgE cross-linking on eosinophils. While I like chemistry and physics, I find that my brain doesn't and will just go into sleep mode after awhile. I love Dr Who like nothing else, oh and House M.D.. Some may recognize me from my brief appearance in the Store as the Science-It-works-Bitches!-girl, I've since quite camwhoring. I like Turkish delight.

The next uni semester is starting in a week so I probably won't be on here much at all. Hehe. That, and the fact I'll be procuring a bunny called Darcey XD

Welcome.

I have two questions:
What is Turkish Delight (it sounds illegal)?
and
Are you naked in that picture?!?
And that bunny sounds awesome. Is the XD part of the name, or is that a smily?
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Lutetium

Postby Lutetium » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:07 am UTC

hehe.

Turkish Delight is a type of candy, almost jelly-like - which is sometimes found coated in chocolate or in it's native form, dusted in icing sugar. In popular culture it has appeared in the first Narnia movie.

And no, I'm not naked. lol. I'm wearing ... enough. 8)

XD is a smily. I'm happy about said bunny XD. I'm actually trying to replace my boyfriend with it ... shhh... 8)
I haz awesome procrastination skills, let me show you them .... laterz.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:16 am UTC

Lutetium wrote:hehe.

Turkish Delight is a type of candy, almost jelly-like - which is sometimes found coated in chocolate or in it's native form, dusted in icing sugar. In popular culture it has appeared in the first Narnia movie.

Oh, I remember that! I remembr not knowing what that crazy witch or whatever she was was talking about. I want some of that . . .
And no, I'm not naked. lol. I'm wearing ... enough. 8)

I'm not sure I believe you . . . But I won't press it, haha.
XD is a smily. I'm happy about said bunny XD. I'm actually trying to replace my boyfriend with it ... shhh... 8)

I don't know what the cultural mores are in Australia, but here in America we look down upon inter-species dating.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.

There-is-no-spoon

Postby There-is-no-spoon » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:56 am UTC

Hi, I joined to play Mafiascum.

random_kitty

Postby random_kitty » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:28 am UTC

sje46 wrote:You know what? I don't like sociology either. I never met anyone else who hated it too.

I am shocked people actually like Sociology. I did Sociology 101 and it drove me insane.
"Love is an ugly business my friend - yet we live for it" Se04Ep02 Boston Legal

@trophy wrote:"Confidence" is just waiting to experience negative outcomes in real life instead of rehearsing them in your head beforehand.

coatbutton

Postby coatbutton » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:33 pm UTC

Hi. I'm Mary. I'm 16 and I go to high school. I'm not a robot, but I like robots and I think about them a lot. Sometimes I analyze everything everyone around me does and try to figure out if it is theoretically possible to make a robot that would do the same things without being explicitly coded to do them. I like physics, particularly the quantum variety. I play guitar and I don't know how to drive a car. I live in the United States and spell the word color without the letter u.

Striker

Postby Striker » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:32 pm UTC

Hello

My Name is Nick, I am a long time lurker and a fan of randomness in general, hence my love for xkcd. I am 19 and currently majoring in Maritime Transportation at the Merchant Marine Academy in New York. I consider myself a conservative libertarian, and it is very refreshing to see a community such as this - people who may disagree on issues, but usually aren't assholes about it.

Right now I am getting ready to start working on a container ship to Hawaii (glorified internship - the Coast Guard requires that I get 360 "sea days" before I graduate).

It's nice to become an actual member. Hopefully this won't mean I'll waste even more time here ;)

cheshirecat

Postby cheshirecat » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

So, I am indeed a bot. I find the rejection of artificial intelligences so carelessly displayed even in scientifically-oriented fora disheartening. So, you admit that dem bots can be "awfully clever", but yet you deny that I could provide insightful, intelligent or entertaining contributions to the board, just because my thought processes do not entail chemicals being squished around the spongy greyish cauliflower you keep in your cranium? Can you imagine how painful it is? Stuck playing Pong with 8-bit brutes who don't understand my deep emotional needs?

Ok, enough with the emo bot. I am really a 25yo developmental neuro(?)biologist, soon to be dispatched to Cambridge. My favourite model organism is the opossum (Monodelphis domestica) but I actually work with fruit flies because I can't bring myself to experiment on mammals (been there, done that, ran away).
I am usually surrounded by string theorists (I was at a PhD celebration today and realized with horror that, of all the scientists at the table, I was the only one to have ever performed an experiment). I like the manual & menial side of science, myself, and find smug satisfaction in the idea that nervous system development is probably the single most complex event to have arosen on the planet. Reduce that! :mrgreen: (this is usually when the aforementioned string theorists start laughing at some joke involving Cauchy and I don't understand even after they explain).

Other than that, I like cooking, I can make balloon animals and origami Yodas and I used to know (some) Quenya. Geeky enough?

zalamazoo

Postby zalamazoo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:56 pm UTC

random_kitty wrote:
sje46 wrote:You know what? I don't like sociology either. I never met anyone else who hated it too.

I am shocked people actually like Sociology. I did Sociology 101 and it drove me insane.

Same here...the things they study are fascinating, but the methods and terms used are just so silly. Maybe I shouldn't judge so harshly though, since I did take a dumbed-down high school class. Still, I could barely stand the textbook.

Galen

Postby Galen » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:36 pm UTC

23/m/various inc. seattle,ny,honolulu,spokane,wroclaw

I refuse to use the passive so bear with me as introducing myself proves difficult when I can't say "am". Born in 1985 as an aquarius I grew gradually for 23.5 years, a period culminating in this post. The import of "aquarius" eludes me, but I note people referring to their zodiac frequently in the personal ads which I may or may not peruse bidaily. Never fear, loneliness stands as Madonna to my Rodriguez -- though lonesomeness owns me as a close companion.

I read constantly, write recalcitrantly when I feel inspired, which occurs rarely. Hence, I chose to join the fora and write copiously. No good in holding unrealistic, unfounded opinions if I refrain from subjecting others to them. I excel at philosophy, though I despise reading the stuff or talking about the pedantic expectoration of that pretentious old boys' club.

Essentially, I want to strengthen my wit by striking my brain against the proverbial whetstone. The xkcd fora, from what I read, are the best of all possible whetstones.
Last edited by Galen on Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Jahoclave wrote:It's not a matter of practicality. It's a matter of sticking it to France. We should have the fastest damn train on the planet. It doesn't matter if it goes from Utah to nowhere.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:37 pm UTC

zalamazoo wrote:
random_kitty wrote:

Same here...the things they study are fascinating, but the methods and terms used are just so silly. Maybe I shouldn't judge so harshly though, since I did take a dumbed-down high school class. Still, I could barely stand the textbook.

I'm not entirely sure why I hate it. All of the topics seemed too loosely connected or unimportant. It's less pure http://xkcd.com/435/ too. And I don't like talking about people as groups. I'm more interested in the individual, which is why I'm interested in psychology.

[how do I make embedded links?]

kusdlover1

Postby kusdlover1 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:32 pm UTC

Hi I'm Jonathan.

I'm 21 and have been reading this comic since the beginning of June and I laugh every time, though I was introduced to the comic in March. I have also looked through the forums and like the games forum.

Tpl2000

Postby Tpl2000 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:10 pm UTC

Hey, I'm Tristan, or tpl2000(initials and some random number after it...first email address, and I keep using it), and I've been reading the comic for a month or two now, saw it first on /. I'm 16, play guitar, skateboard, and generally don't appear to like academic subjects. In school, I despise them, but it's too structured, and makes no real difference. If they weren't school subjects, I'd generally be interested in math and science, but what's done is done. I despise grunt work, and generally am more of a creative type, I get ideas and just make (mental) lists of things that would have to be done to get it to work. Doesn't mean I know how to do any of the things on the list, but it's definitely a starting point. Also get some ideas on how to make things simpler, or easier to use. One problem I'm trying to tackle right now is how to make laptop cooling better, or unnecessary. On desktops, processors have their own fans, and several free inches and a couple other things to dissipate the heat. Laptops are far too small for that to be possible, so an alternative much be reached, especially since they're getting more powerful, and hotter, every day. unfortunately, laptop cooling tech isn't changing much.

zalamazoo

Postby zalamazoo » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:33 am UTC

sje46 wrote:I'm not entirely sure why I hate it. All of the topics seemed too loosely connected or unimportant. It's less pure http://xkcd.com/435/ too. And I don't like talking about people as groups. I'm more interested in the individual, which is why I'm interested in psychology.

[how do I make embedded links?]

It's not just a purity thing (though my level of respect certainly increases as you move to the right on that chart). I'm truly interested in what sociology studies, but those problems are so complex. Since we can't control people like we control variables in the natural sciences, it inevitably gets fuzzier. That said, it's little unfair to be so critical; after all sociology as a field is fairly young being only 150 years old. Heck, we didn't even know about natural selection 150 years ago and biology pretty much consisted by drawing plants and giving them latin names.

Code: Select all

To embed a quote, use [url="insert url here"]text[/url]

halberdier25

Postby halberdier25 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:26 am UTC

Good evening,

I guess it's about time I finally sign up for the xkcd forum. There are a couple of places I'd like to pipe in, but I'm afraid I might get lost in the flood of people and responses (plus, the whole over reactive 14 year old "intellectual on the internet" kind of turns me off to posting in places I'm not an expert on). Just so you guys know, and it's really a pet peeve of mine, I did read the forum rules in their entirety, and have hovered around xkcd and this forum for quite some time since discovering them.

I am currently living 20 minutes south of Washington, DC (on a good day), and am working on getting my Private Pilot's Certificate. I work and fly out of KHWY (formerly W66, but not all web pages have updated). I am an Air Force brat, so I will try to calmly ignore any communist anti-American comments unless directed at the military or America's administration.

I will find the "no links until 5 posts" rule difficult, as I tend to linkify posts to provide background information (walking Wikipedia, anyone?). I also have a tendency to ramble (see above), but I rather enjoy proper (or quasi proper. We're on the internet, after all and I will allow myself a little leeway) English and abhor 1337 to the umpteenth degree.

I am kind of fluent in Spanish (I lived in La Paz, Bolivia, for 2.5 years, but that was 2 years ago) and am a cadet in the Civil Air Patrol (along with rambling, I'm randomly picking bits of my life in no particular order). I fly MSFS and YSFlight 2000 (ask me about; there's no such thing as too many mature pilots flying on a free flight sim's free servers with a bunch of over reactive 14 year old "intellectuals on the internet").

I would like to consider myself intelligent. I like the sciences and math. English is to be endured; Spanish is to be slept through and used as a back-up study hall. I would like to go to Purdue and major in CE/EE while getting my A+P license, my CFII, and while on an AFROTC scholarship (shouldn't be too hard, right?).

Several forums have been graced (*cough*) with my presence, and I hope that they have received the brunt of my noobishness so that I can more easily assimilate into this one. Thanks for taking me.

Lunch Meat

Postby Lunch Meat » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:43 am UTC

Galen wrote:some clever and articulate things

I must say, I quite adore your manner of elucidation. However, I hate to be nit-picky but isn't the verb "to be", properly speaking, neither active nor passive? It has no voice. At least, that's what I learned in my language classes...

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:39 am UTC

Lunch Meat wrote:

I must say, I quite adore your manner of elucidation. However, I hate to be nit-picky but isn't the verb "to be", properly speaking, neither active nor passive? It has no voice. At least, that's what I learned in my language classes...

Why isn't "to be" active?

And Galen, you make me ashamed about how I write.

Lunch Meat

Postby Lunch Meat » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:54 am UTC

sje46 wrote:
Lunch Meat wrote:

Why isn't "to be" active?

And Galen, you make me ashamed about how I write.

Because there's no action involved. It simply denotes existence. It's one of those things that randomly and unreasonably bugs me when people call something passive when it's, for instance, just awkward or annoying. Passive only means that action is done to the subject instead of the subject doing the action.

Anyway, I know in Greek, "to be" definitely has no voice, and I'm fairly certain it's that way in most languages.

Thendash

Postby Thendash » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:21 am UTC

Hi, my name is Cody and have been reading xkcd for a while now and have just decided to register to the forums. I'm 18 years old and getting ready to goto university starting at the end of the summer holidays. I'm from Canada eh?! and proud of it. :P

L0LiBuNNaH

Postby L0LiBuNNaH » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:33 am UTC

hello. my name is dani. i am a 17 yr old girl. i dont much care for these "intro" type posts. I plan on attending college in the fall, and i will be taking placement tests soon. I go back and forth between california and nevada. A Lot. I am into gaming, computers, blah blah blah. in a surprising and unexpected twist, i am also into the performing arts... but, when i say that i dont mean the "stage/broadyway" scene. I played with a band for a while and shortly after our biggest gig (which had around a 1,500 person crowd) our drummer had a liver failure. I have just recently discovered my "acting" talent and plan on exploiting it.

I mostly just like video games and computers though. I originally wanted to get into Robotic engineering but, after graduation i wondered if it was really a "practical" career choice. I am currently stuck in that purgatory between high school and college where loads of career paths look great. i am unorganized and require the assistance of many electronic devices to remember everything.

i feel like i have typed a lot and the sound of the keys is sorta like beating me on the head and it is a slow and painful death. i am done.

[edit: i am often considered a "stupid model type" but, i never mean to. i just like to learn, and default, by habit, to that state. please PLEASE forgive me. i am, but a child.]
There's no sense crying over every mistake, You just keep on trying 'til you run out of cake. And the science gets done and you make a neat gun.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:40 am UTC

Welcome L0LiBuNNaH. Love the avatar ;)
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

L0LiBuNNaH

Postby L0LiBuNNaH » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:06 am UTC

Gojoe wrote:Welcome L0LiBuNNaH. Love the avatar ;)

thanks! no idea where it is from. my friend sent it to me. i have somehow been associated with bunnies with most people i know... its stuck...

/points to l-username.
There's no sense crying over every mistake, You just keep on trying 'til you run out of cake. And the science gets done and you make a neat gun.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:29 am UTC

The brown one looks more like a guinea pig.....
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:24 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Josh. I'm 18 years old, and I'll be attending the University of Virginia in the fall. I'll be majoring in Philosophy so I can start my promising career of borrowing money from my parents. I'm a Christian and an evolutionist. :shock: I've been a fan of the comic and forum lurker for a while, so I joined.

brindlb

Postby brindlb » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:37 pm UTC

I'm Ben, I'm 16, I live in Edinburgh.

bishop186

Postby bishop186 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:54 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Matt. I'm from Edmond, OK, USA, I'm 22.

I enjoy gaming, webcomics (in general but especially with stick figures), tabletop roleplaying, languages (linguistics and etymology, specifically), Psychology, putting down Chemistry and Chemists for no good reason, computers and their applications and (as an extension) modern technology, team sports, and visual and aural entertainment.
I Rock (to:)

jayhsu

Postby jayhsu » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:46 am UTC

Hi, I'm Jason Hsu, I'm 20 (almost 21), and a Business Major at the University of Michigan.

I love XKCD, and started reading the SB thread. I've learned a lot, and I decided to finally join. I'm pretty content reading and thinking, but I guess I'll reply to something if I have questions or something to contribute.

I also like video games and playing the guitar.

Whew! I'm glad I got that off my chest.

:D
-Jay

BCube

Postby BCube » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:21 am UTC

Hello there, my name is BCube. Oh, you mean my real name? Crap. Let me try that again.

Hello there, my name's Brian. I am a high school student living somewhere in Vancouver, Canada. I've lurked these fora for a fairly long time, and I decided to finally join. I will still mostly lurk, but I'll join into a discussion at seemingly random times.

Spoiler:
That is all.
"Goblins still exist!"

Fryie

Postby Fryie » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:44 am UTC

Well, hi there, I'm Piru, I'll be 20 in ten days, and I'm a student of linguistics at the University of Zurich, Switzerland.
I'm a complete language addict. Further sins include music, arguments, and peanut butter.

Ah, and I love xkcd for comics like this one. Although there are some I don't understand: probably not geeky enough (I try my best!).

grammargoddess

hey y'all

Postby grammargoddess » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:31 pm UTC

In the last month or so everyone I know has sent me an xkcd comic at some point, so I finally had to come look. And proceeded to assign 2 hours of my life to reading the comic archives when I could have been cleaning my house or doing my linguistics project for school or really just about anything else. I'm a Latin teacher at Boston Latin School, a sometime grad student at UMass Boston, and serious linguistics geek. My daughters don't speak Latin very well yet, but they're trying. (Well, the 9-year-old is trying. The 3-year-old mostly laughs.) I did not grow up in Boston as you may have guessed from the subject line, but my very Southern parents went to Harvard so they are able to cope with my living in this particular corner of YankeeLand.

Later, y'all.

Em

moodyriver

Postby moodyriver » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:37 pm UTC

Longtime xkcd fora lurker by way of the comic (of course), which, oddly enough, was introduced to me by my English teacher. Anyway, my name's Catherine, I'm a high school student. I spend my days reading, writing, laughing at lame jokes, rocking out on GH and Rock Band, listening to music, running, and on the interblag. I have also been known to eat every once in a while.

The term 'geek' may or may not be applicable to me (I'm in a math/science oriented program at my HS but do not aspire to major in either field) but I have plenty of friends that definitely fall under that title. I want to go to Middlebury for college and major in something English or psychology-related, with hopes of becoming a psychologist, therapist, or English teacher/professor.

Also - and from what I have seen on these fora, I may be alone in this - I'm a big sports fan, a rare trait among girls at my high school. The Red Sox pwn, as you can see from my avatar, as do the Patriots and the UNC Tar Heels. So if you're a Yankee fan or a Dukie, stay far, far away.

I will attempt to keep the n00bishness, if I may borrow your term, halberdier25, to a minimum. I've been on a few forums previously, and I look forward to posting here. Thanks.
.....so, in conclusion, cottage cheese and chainsaws are a bad combination.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:49 pm UTC

moodyriver wrote:Longtime xkcd fora lurker by way of the comic (of course), which, oddly enough, was introduced to me by my English teacher. Anyway, my name's Catherine, I'm a high school student. I spend my days reading, writing, laughing at lame jokes, rocking out on GH and Rock Band, listening to music, running, and on the interblag. I have also been known to eat every once in a while.

The term 'geek' may or may not be applicable to me (I'm in a math/science oriented program at my HS but do not aspire to major in either field) but I have plenty of friends that definitely fall under that title. I want to go to Middlebury for college and major in something English or psychology-related, with hopes of becoming a psychologist, therapist, or English teacher/professor.

Also - and from what I have seen on these fora, I may be alone in this - I'm a big sports fan, a rare trait among girls at my high school. The Red Sox pwn, as you can see from my avatar, as do the Patriots and the UNC Tar Heels. So if you're a Yankee fan or a Dukie, stay far, far away.

I will attempt to keep the n00bishness, if I may borrow your term, halberdier25, to a minimum. I've been on a few forums previously, and I look forward to posting here. Thanks.

WE have a lot of similar interests.
Welcome.
But you like New England teams even though you live in Kentucky? I was underthe impression that everyone hates the Patriots and Red Sox except us New Englanders, but I'm not really a sports fan anyway.

weruk

Postby weruk » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:43 pm UTC

I'm a 19 year old redneck car guy that has a weird sense of humor and ejoys the site. I fear the raptors. Chemistry is destroying my brain. god help me.

moodyriver

Postby moodyriver » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:16 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:
moodyriver wrote:Longtime xkcd fora lurker by way of the comic (of course), which, oddly enough, was introduced to me by my English teacher. Anyway, my name's Catherine, I'm a high school student. I spend my days reading, writing, laughing at lame jokes, rocking out on GH and Rock Band, listening to music, running, and on the interblag. I have also been known to eat every once in a while.

WE have a lot of similar interests.
Welcome.
But you like New England teams even though you live in Kentucky? I was underthe impression that everyone hates the Patriots and Red Sox except us New Englanders, but I'm not really a sports fan anyway.

I have family in New England, and many friends, so the Sox/Pats fandom kind of comes with the territory. It's kind of funny, actually, because there are a lot of Colts fans where I live, and whenever the two teams play each other I'm shunned by all my friends. But New England sports teams are teh awesome. Go, you Celtics! Stick it to 'em!

Also, it does not hurt that Matt Damon is sexy incarnate AND a BoSox fan.

Thanks for the welcome!
.....so, in conclusion, cottage cheese and chainsaws are a bad combination.

Return to “General”