INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

tex

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby tex » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:51 am UTC

Hi, I just want to introduce myself.

I'm a 25 year old graduate student of computer science from Germany.

Uhm, I think that is all I have to say. Don't hesitate to ask if I forgot anything important.

AntonGarou

Postby AntonGarou » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:56 am UTC

Hi, My name is Opher and I'm an Israeli undergraduate student of neuroscience, a bibliophile, an sf&f fan and general purpose nerd.I spend way too much time on the internet(because there are people who're wrong on it:) and my computer in general.

Oh, yes, and I'm a pretty opinionated atheist as well :)
I'm not nitpicking, I'm quarkpicking!

CortoPasta

Postby CortoPasta » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:59 pm UTC

Hey, my name is Joe. I've read the comic/forums for a little while now and just signed up for the forums mostly to get help with some Computer Science/Programming stuff. I am also a Christian of the bible believing kind. Flame away.

theaceoffire

Postby theaceoffire » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:15 pm UTC

Hi, I am a stuck up so and so who enjoys the comic a lot.

I tend to go by "Ace", am a CS major, and enjoy Physics.

I don't have much experience with hardware, but I am pretty good at making old junk piles work decently using free stuff (Software, old parts, etc). Being a student really takes away any funds you might have for most of the cooler machines and gadgets...

I am probably not smart enough to hang out in the more technical forums,
but I figured that shouldn't stop me from hanging around a bit...

^_^ I will try to avoid being annoying.

Ezral Dokorli

Postby Ezral Dokorli » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:44 pm UTC

Oi, figured I'd finally join after lurking these here forums for a good couple of months. I've been reading the comic for too long to remember, and I must say it's my favorite comic.

My name is actually Eric, but I go by whatever anyone wants to call me. Ezral Dokorli is the name of my OC (Original Character) and I find his name more interesting than my own, so I borrow it from time to time. I'm an Otherkin (Elenari, Dai'ari to be exact) if anyone else around here is part of or interested in that. My hobbies focus around common geek/nerd territory, I'm either on my computer, Wii, or Xbox360. I do also get out and about sometimes, I enjoy hiking, swimming and general urban exploration. My current location of residence do not allow for much of the latter two, and the former can only be accomplished in Spring/Fall, so my electronics keep me occupied. I enjoy theoretical phyiscs, but only know so much. I may not be the smartest mathematically or technical-wise, but I've a quit wit and I'm either considered very likeable or "that weird kid with the fancy hats" by my peers.
I'm also terribly single and do enjoy attempting to please females with my charm.

I hope I didn't talk everyone's ears off, and I'll try to stay as active as I should be.
So what would it be, mon chéri? A night under the stars, or one of fantasy?

FistMagnet

Postby FistMagnet » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:20 am UTC

My name's Aaron, I'm a 23-year-old recording engineer / aspiring film composer / dropout from the University of Toronto linguistics program. I'm far too boorish to hang out with nerds and far too awkward to hang out with normal people. Which is why I hang out with musicians.

Things I like:

-Guinness
-Cigarettes
-Prog-rock other than Radiohead
-Videos that end with "get that f*cking camera out of my face"
-Cheap coffee
-Free coffee
-Stolen coffee
-Visiting Montreal, assuming everyone speaks English, and finding out I'm right
-Girls who play drums
-Idiotic image macros
-Chris Osgood
-Eavesdropping
-Wordplay
Last edited by FistMagnet on Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:28 am UTC

Hi, hello, Dia Dhuit and all that stuff!

I'm Jim, 23 (arguably), and from the fair old land of Ireland. Living in a crappy little town (Not Dublin, nothing like Dublin, nowhere near Dublin... can't stress this enough) in the South-East called Waterford (Port Lairge) and working a crappy little IT job for a crappy big Canadian Insurance company.

I like all the usual nerdy stoof, Music, Movies, Games, Anime, and also some non-nerdy stuff like Fishing, exploring mainland Europe and getting lost in Ireland.

Currently learning to drive, so keep your very little people (kids) locked up.....

Eh.... Laters!
Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

toshiro

Postby toshiro » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:00 am UTC

Er, hello...

I seem to have missed this thread, and for that, I am most heartily ashamed (I do try to live by the rules). I'm afraid I've already posted 3 times in different parts of these fora, but they were all in earnest, none of them ill-natured (I hope) or troll material.

So, here goes. This is what I am willing to reveal about myself:

I'm a student of Mechatronics Engineering in Switzerland, at the Technical College of Winterthur (don't worry if you've never heard of it before), with the intention to specialize in robotic prosthetics. Baiting me with books, anime and manga usually works, and anything even closely resembling a computer/video game is practically bound to catch my attention. When I'm not studying, gaming or reading/watching stuff, I try to increase my knowledge of and proficiency in the Japanese Language, which is the fourth foreign language I have learned (or am learning, more precisely) to date (the others being English, French and Italian, in that order. Latin does not count).

I'm somewhat reluctant to reveal my real name on the internet, I hope you understand my paranoia. I will say that I am a caucasian male of 26 years, however.

So, I'm looking forward to discussions on these fora.

Tunga

Postby Tunga » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:34 am UTC

Been reading these forums for a while, mainly the Logic Puzzles forum, finally decided to register today.

I'm a 22 year-old software developer from London, I play World of Warcraft and support Queens Park Rangers. This makes me a good target for abuse on all fronts.

mat-tina

Postby mat-tina » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:47 am UTC

Hello, Forbidden (*throws things*), steve_hb (we do have a dating thread, so it's alright), tex (is that tecks or tech-throat-sound?), AntonGarou (yay, sci-fi!), CortoPasta (I also joined to ask some computer questions; wait until the people from Forum Games sneak drugs into your food), theaceoffire (yay, physics!), Ezral Dokorli (stay active, or else! :evil: ), FistMagnet (don't wordly about worldly things like wordplay. Umm... Hi!), KingLoser (yay, anime!), toshiro (confession: this is my first post in the intro thread) and Tunga (we're really bored; come play with us)!

Welcome!
Felltir wrote:has no sig, and therefore something to hide
GENERATION n: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. If n is an even number, divide it by 2. If it's odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1. Prove that this sequence converges to 1 for all n.

rawrbomb101

Postby rawrbomb101 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

Hey i'm Oliver....
I dunno... not much to say unfortuneately. I'm 15 and from Perth. Most people think I'm weird cause I listen to music from a few generations ago (billy joel, meatloaf, bryan adams, bruce springsteen etc.) What's weirder is that I'm a complete swimming freak, I train my ass off and I'm hoping to go to London in 2012. So I'm a complete sports freak, but at the same time I'm one of the nerdiest guys in my year. I only just quit WoW, I play heaps of computer/video games, especially RPG's. I browse web forums, even though this is the first I've actually posted in. I actually try at school and get good grades. I've been trying to get into DnD but I can't seem to find the money for it.
All this on top of the fact that all girls seem to like me when they first meet me.
Then they get to know me and it all goes downhill from there.
But hey
Cya Around

bottledbohemia

Postby bottledbohemia » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:33 pm UTC

I wish I had something astoundingly witty to say, but unfortunetly it is past my bedtime and I can't think of anything.

But hi! I'm 19, female and from New Zealand. Currently studying Occupational therapy, but planning to change that and go back to studying Japanese. Basically: I'm at a point in my life where I'm going 'dammit, I might as well study what I really want to study, if I'm just going to get more and more in debt.' As not studying is not an option, since I like learning. I really enjoy this comic, espcially the maths and stats jokes, and have been stalking it for a while without signing up. I finally figure that I might as well, since I've begun stalking the threads on the fora as well :D.

Grooving Tony

Postby Grooving Tony » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:12 pm UTC

Welcome all you new people, oliver, though i think i would call you rawr-O, being athletic and nerdy is a good thing i'm the same thai boxing FTW unfortunately that isn't an olympic sport :(, Perth Scotland or some other Perth? [Insert-witty-comment]here[/insert-witty-comment] hope you all enjoy the fora, best way to make friends is to join us in forum games best sub forum :P.

TUNGA! Why haven't you came and said hello on your thread we made one especially for you :P.
It's turtles all the way down
Panda
BHCM
protect the flag
snuggles
Jahoclave wrote:Tip: Shotgun, they could be a zombie. Remember, you're the first step in preventing the zombie apocalypse.

threepoint1416926dotdotdot

Postby threepoint1416926dotdotdot » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:32 pm UTC

Call me jess. I screwed up pi in my username on purpose. Sentence fragment. This is a real sentence. I am bored. I like randomness. adhd is me!
Yay!
ImageImageImageImageImage

Felixity

Postby Felixity » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

Hello. I'm old. Nearly 39. I've been wandering the XKCD files fairly aimlessly for a couple of years now but am hoping to find a new style of aimlessness amongst the flora and fauna of the fora.

I like intelligence, banter, Bloom County, The Real Tuesday Weld, changing my status on Facebook (but not doing anything else on facebook), writing bad poetry (is there a forum for that on here?), pondering the policies I'll implement when the world comes to its senses and appoints me its benign dictator. Current favourite policies are the Decibel Tax and the Tribute Band Quality and Licensing Law.

In my spare time I train hamsters, knit glitterballs and impersonate Conway Twitty.

I live in the UK.

Mountainhawk

Postby Mountainhawk » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:27 pm UTC

Hello there. I'm a 31 y.o. actuary living here in the Boston, USA area.

Just found this webcomic on Sunday, and then promptly wasted 4 or 5 hours reading them from 1 to the current one ... this is a terrific website. I'm looking forward to being a part of this community.
"It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in." -- Elizabeth May, Canadian Green Party Leader

Uber_Apple

Postby Uber_Apple » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:29 am UTC

Hi my name is Vivek and im 16 and living in England. I've been reading xkcd and browsing these fora for a while now but only just decided to join to discuss stuff with xkcders [xkcdians?].

I like science, science related things, and maths a lot and consider myself highly intelligent in these areas (for a 16 year old). I also like video games, reading (mostly fantasy/sci-fi but also some pure science books) and listening to alternative rock/ metal although i am getting into some other genres.

I have just finished my GCSEs and am waiting for my results so i dont have much to do apart from play games, read books, listen to music, and now trawl these fora in search of discussion! :D

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:09 pm UTC

Mountainhawk wrote:Hello there. I'm a 31 y.o. actuary living here in the Boston, USA area.

Just found this webcomic on Sunday, and then promptly wasted 4 or 5 hours reading them from 1 to the current one ... this is a terrific website. I'm looking forward to being a part of this community.

Hi! We've got a good group of people in and around the Boston area so hopefully you'll meet up with us sometime. Also, I enjoy your username - do you like to hike? Or fly? Or is it just a cool name? I'm hoping to get one more hike in this summer, hopefully Mt. Washington if a weekend presents itself before it gets too cold.
Anyways, welcome!
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

Mountainhawk

Postby Mountainhawk » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:48 pm UTC

studyinserendipity wrote:
Mountainhawk wrote:Hello there. I'm a 31 y.o. actuary living here in the Boston, USA area.

Hi! We've got a good group of people in and around the Boston area so hopefully you'll meet up with us sometime. Also, I enjoy your username - do you like to hike? Or fly? Or is it just a cool name? I'm hoping to get one more hike in this summer, hopefully Mt. Washington if a weekend presents itself before it gets too cold.
Anyways, welcome!

Neither ... I went to Lehigh University, whose team name is the Mountain Hawks.

theBishopp

Postby theBishopp » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:26 pm UTC

Hello. I'm too old to own up to my age, and not old enough to lie about it. I'm male. I'm English (Incidentally, for those across the pond, there is no such language as "American English", it is English, or it is not). :P

I love the comics, which is what hooked me in here, and I have only just discovered the logic puzzles which are my new obsession/addiction (hey, I'm trying to quit smoking, a man has to have some vices).

Nice to meet you all! :D

sleepygamer
More metal than thou

Postby sleepygamer » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

theBishopp wrote:Hello. I'm too old to own up to my age, and not old enough to lie about it. I'm male. I'm English (Incidentally, for those across the pond, there is no such language as "American English", it is English, or it is not). :P

I love the comics, which is what hooked me in here, and I have only just discovered the logic puzzles which are my new obsession/addiction (hey, I'm trying to quit smoking, a man has to have some vices).

Oh just spit it out man. We have people of all ages here. Ranging from an 11 year old at one point, and I'm sure we had someone who was 53 around here too. My memory fails me.

*Is 17*
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

nadreck

Postby nadreck » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:11 pm UTC

Right-o sleepy gamer

And I am 48.

Be proud of who and what you are.

Just because a forum is pseudonymous there is no need to not be yourself.
When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. It is clear that all the: ills of mankind, tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, political blunders, failures of great leaders; arise merely from the lack of skill in dancing. Molière

othersideofthecrash

Postby othersideofthecrash » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:04 pm UTC

I guess I should post here to explain that I'm not, in fact, a troll bent on ruining the fora. Nobody knows me, despite my four (or so) posts.

I'm 18, a student at WSU (the Washington State one :wink: ), planning on majoring in Horticulture because I love plants. Though before anyone says it, not those kinds of plants. I'm also fairly inexperienced with fora and have a tendency to not be funny in text, but this is not a reflection upon my IRL personality. Promise.

I'm also krikitarmy's girlfriend (see LSR:Whine About Relationships thread for a dubious introduction there). Don't worry, though, it's okay now and we still love each other. Promise.*

*Actual promise, not sarcasm.**

**Really.***

***ARGH! It all sounds like sarcasm!
I haven't been in any conversations cool enough to warrant a place in my sig.

BlackHatMom

Postby BlackHatMom » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:56 pm UTC

I'm a bit of a classhole mother. My kids are really screwed up.

Good to be here!

Mr_Meister

Postby Mr_Meister » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:46 am UTC

Hey there,

I'm Matt, otherwise known as Mr_Meister, or Meister for short. It's not shorter than Matt, but you know, if you're not too lazy to type another three letters...er...anyway, I'm from New Zealand...like Flight of the Conchords and Lord of the Rings, both of which are awesome. I just turned 18, and in the future i wish to be an author or an actor.

Sweet looking forum. Apologies about the babbling mess that was my introduction.

Be safe :wink:
Pride of the South since 1990

Mr. Galt

Postby Mr. Galt » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:36 am UTC

I figure I should post here? ....or something ?

My name is Joel. I live in Utah.
I am a lazy student who suffers from bouts of a terrible disease that leads me to believe I actually know things.

The more I like someone, the more often I am to argue with them about things that don't matter. Such as if its proper to say Elvish, Elven, or Eldarin in any given context.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:04 am UTC

Mr_Meister wrote:Hey there,

I'm Matt, otherwise known as Mr_Meister, or Meister for short. It's not shorter than Matt, but you know, if you're not too lazy to type another three letters...er...anyway, I'm from New Zealand...like Flight of the Conchords and Lord of the Rings, both of which are awesome. I just turned 18, and in the future i wish to be an author or an actor.

Sweet looking forum. Apologies about the babbling mess that was my introduction.

Be safe :wink:

I do not know why, but that last line made me think of.
Shop smart
Shop S-Mart

Anyway, welcome matt!
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

rawrbomb101

Postby rawrbomb101 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:49 am UTC

Grooving Tony wrote:Welcome all you new people, oliver, though i think i would call you rawr-O, being athletic and nerdy is a good thing i'm the same thai boxing FTW unfortunately that isn't an olympic sport :(, Perth Scotland or some other Perth? [Insert-witty-comment]here[/insert-witty-comment] hope you all enjoy the fora, best way to make friends is to join us in forum games best sub forum :P.

TUNGA! Why haven't you came and said hello on your thread we made one especially for you :P.

I'm from Perth Australia unfortuneately.. it seems to be in the middle of nowhere and no one seems to have heard of it. Though I wouldnt mind going to Scotland.... but hey I've been reading the comic for awhile and same as the forums, hopefully I'll get around to posting a bit more too.
Cya Later

theBishopp

Postby theBishopp » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:24 pm UTC

sleepygamer wrote:
theBishopp wrote:Hello. I'm too old to own up to my age, and not old enough to lie about it. I'm male. I'm English (Incidentally, for those across the pond, there is no such language as "American English", it is English, or it is not). :P

Oh just spit it out man. We have people of all ages here. Ranging from an 11 year old at one point, and I'm sure we had someone who was 53 around here too. My memory fails me.

*Is 17*

Hehe to anyone who has been this this age, it is fairly obvious... You reach a point and think "DAMN! I am X years old and haven't done x or x or x or x yet! And I think my brain is shrinking and my waist is expanding!" And then you think "sod it" and open another beer... :)

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

theBishopp wrote:
sleepygamer wrote:

*Is 17*

Hehe to anyone who has been this this age, it is fairly obvious... You reach a point and think "DAMN! I am X years old and haven't done x or x or x or x yet! And I think my brain is shrinking and my waist is expanding!" And then you think "sod it" and open another beer... :)

Good to meet ya sir!
Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

Norumu

Postby Norumu » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:37 pm UTC

Hello folks! My name's Kevin, otherwise known as Norumu in various circles.
I'm 20 years old, from the United States.
I'm an electrical engineering technology student in Rochester, New York, with a side of business marketing.
I'm a big fan of technology and its growth. I follow it as much as I can, and hope to soon get myself involved in pushing it.
I'm also a big fan of duct tape. I use it to make costumes. Costumes of video game characters. I'm just the coolest kid on the block. Curious? Send me one of those private message things.
My music is all over the place, with the latest trend being split between Dropkick Murphys and Great Big Sea.
Signature

Panama1984

Postby Panama1984 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:22 pm UTC

I'm a high school senior here in Orlando Florida, and I enjoy engineering, math, and the fear of velociraptors

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:37 pm UTC

My name's Sean. I'm 16 and tend to stretch my intellectual curiosity by examining things I can't begin to understand. My favorite authors are the Great Old Ones of SF like Olaf Stapledon, Alfred Bester, and especially the author of the book my username references.

atrus50

Postby atrus50 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:19 am UTC

Hey,

My name is Paul, and i am posting from texas.
I rather don't have an opinion of raptors, although i'm a fan of chicken.
all my posts will be in this format.

Best thanks and regards,
atrus50

overslacked

Postby overslacked » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:56 am UTC

Hello all! My name is Brian, I'm about to be 30, and I write computer software for behavioral health care centers. I enjoy fencing (epee, D06) and playing guitar (folk stuff mostly). I'm bummed that because I don't use a Mac I can't code iPod apps.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:06 am UTC

Hey all, FyreNWater here. I left another forum on bad terms, so I'm a tad paranoid about posting my name... for now. I feel like the people here are a lot better and I'm looking forward to a much better experience.

I'm currently an undergrad college student, striving to become an art teacher/instructor/whatever I can manage. Technically I'm only majoring in art, but I refuse to identify as an "art major" as there are so many negative connotations. People think I'm a weirdo "true art makes no sense" person, or a "going to live in a cardboard box" graduate, or just a "too lazy for a 'real' major" student. If only people got to know me before passing such judgements.

I think it's easiest to describe my interests by explaining how I chose my major and almost double-majored. I'm a huge science nerd, so I looked into biology. I couldn't figure out how to link bio to art, so it was off my potential list (but still deep in my heart). I looked at philosophy, but the thought of putting two "useless" majors together made my parents cringe and almost refuse to pay my tuition. It's okay, I'm still a philosopher on my own. I finally looked into education, which seemed to fit best. There's no such thing as an education major (at least in the state that I'm studying in), so it still looks like I'm a pure art major. Oh well.

I love intelligent conversations/debates, sharing theories, and just seeing the world from other people's point of view. I do my best to be open about everything, but occasionally I lapse and act like any other idiot. Feel free to metaphorically smack me to remind me to play nicely with everyone.

Aaaaand I wrote an essay of a post. tl;dr:
"I draw pretty things and wanna teach others to draw pretty things but I still love nerdy things 'cause I'm a huge nerd."

frazeocity

Postby frazeocity » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:09 am UTC

Greetings, fine citizens of XKCD. I'm most commonly known online as Fraze.
I'm starting my Junior year at the University of Arizona, majoring in Math and Physics. I have very little computer expertise beyond typing and such, though XKCD is a regular stop on my daily webcomic rounds.
Aside from spending too much time on the internet, I enjoy origami. I've been folding for about seven years now. Some of what I've folded can be found on my deviantART account. I also have some snippets of odd writing there. My muse tends to stay away for several months at a time, enjoying both drink and women far too much--then come back for a few minutes, just long enough to drop a kernel of an idea in my head and stagger off again.
I'm also currently learning Capoeira, a Brazilian dance/martial art. I've been practicing for two years, and haven't become very good yet. However, it's one of the few forms of exercise I get.

Evilagram

Postby Evilagram » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:22 am UTC

I'm an animator from sheezyart to say the least. I like logic, art, and arguments. I might post some of that sooner or later.

On a related note, I'm a gigantic grammar nazi, and didn't fall for the related comic. I personally hate the duality between Effect and Affect, because you can almost never be a grammar nazi about it because they're so damn interchangeable.

Coconuts!

Postby Coconuts! » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:37 pm UTC

I'm a teenager from Ireland. My favourite bands are Muse, My Chemical Romance and The Fratellis. I'm nerdy enough that people think I'm weird, but I still don't get a lot of the comics (as far as computers are concerned, I live on the internet and play Sims 2 too much, but I don't know how to program things. And I only understand the maths that I've done in school, which isn't much compared to what the little stick figure people know :lol: ). Doesn't stop me loving the comics though, they're awesome. So, hi everyone!

electronic mily

Postby electronic mily » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:18 pm UTC

Hello.

So here's me - nineteen, two days away from leaving for college (Smith, if you're interested). I'm probably in a bit of a minority here as I'm majoring in art and don't know a thing about computers beyond making them do what I basically want. But beyond that I managed to take the initiative and become a huge nerd with a fondness for artificially intelligent robots, written language, lucid dreaming, and small explosions.

My name isn't important, but it's easy enough to guess if you look at my username for a while.

So, then, hello!

Return to “General”