INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

addams

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby addams » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:37 am UTC

GeorgeRichard wrote:Hey all, i am new to this forum....!!
How are you all???

All of us are individuals.
We are each one very different from all the others.
Even the ones that are first degree relatives.

We have peer pressure.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=112012

Do you want a beer?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:36 pm UTC

How are you all???

Hi, are you a bot?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people e.g. Ragna needs these items and Frances needs money for food

addams

Postby addams » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:36 pm UTC

Monika wrote:
How are you all???

Hi, are you a bot?

Are you a God?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb5-LLQ3FjY

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

tarascon

Postby tarascon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:15 pm UTC

Hello all.
I'm 59 years old and a lifelong reader. I was born in Germany, and came to the USA when I was 10. When I was 7 or 8 I vowed to read every book in the world but what I didn't realize then was that new books were being printed every year at a phenomenal rate. Curses, foiled again! Non-the-less, I have done rather well; without any egoistic intention I will share that my personal library consists (perhaps) of seven thousand books--give or take a few hundred. I read pretty much everything and this has left me uniquely capable of sussing out literary beasties such as Finnegans Wake... in theory. The truth is, reading this book is a collaborative effort. A few years ago I was asked to sit in and help a local prof teach a course on this amazing book. We made it to page 30 before the semester ended. I would say I've read half on my own before breaking down entirely. This experience left me incapable of reading anything else for a few weeks without doing an exegesis on the simplest and most straightforward sentence. Considering I first bought FW sometime before I turned 20, I can either feel accomplished at my solo effort or I can hang my head in shame. My intention is to start a reading group and to that end I've managed to find 3 victims... er, volunteers. I should ask them to sign an agreement not to sue me for any future damages but--for the moment--that won't be necessary as this group won't be happening soon. Time is needed to prepare. But enough of that for now.
I'm a tree trimmer by profession though I have had jobs which didn't require me to bleed. Years ago I worked in the Ornithological department at the Los Angeles Natural History Museyroom as a "technical assistant." To whit, I was in charge of the collections and reprints. I have also worked as a bookbinder and restorer. I speak two languages (German and English) and read two others [with a good dictionary] (Archaic Greek and Latin). Some folks think I'm a Jesuit or a Talmudic scholar. I am neither. I simply climb trees and read.
I live in California.
To those who've read this far, I thank you for your patience.
Last edited by tarascon on Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:40 pm UTC

Welcome, tarascon! Your post makes me once again want to read Finnegans Wake. (I mean, this wanting comes in waves -- I have never actually tried.) In theory I like Joyce -- the bits of Ulysses and his letters that I've read have all been great, though I didn't "get" Dubliners -- but sitting down to read him in a not "in-passing" way feels very daunting.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

Weeks wrote:One of these days I'm going to slip into your room at night and I'm gonna motorboat you.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:36 am UTC

tarascon; That was an interesting post. You may enjoy this forum. I hope you do.
Unlike Kewangji, I am more unlikely to read Finnegan's Wake than I was before reading that post.

I did read, James Joyce's wife asked him, "Why don't you write something people can read?"
I wonder, why do generation after generation of bright educated people insist on trying to read it?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

tarascon

Postby tarascon » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:50 pm UTC

Thanks for the welcome, folks. And I'm amazed to see you both imply that you'd actually read my massively verbal post. On other forums I've participated on that post would have remained unread after the 8th word. :wink:
Speaking of FW, here's how I came to join this site (I've never heard of xkcd until I Googled it about 15 minutes ago): viewtopic.php?f=24&t=36446
Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:20 am UTC

Well, tarascon;
You may have found your internet home.

You can come out of the trees to share mundane wonders of the arboreal world.
Or; Join a thread and finely finish Finnegan's Wake.

I hope you are happy here.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:35 pm UTC

Heya! Liri is short for Liriodendron tulipifera, my favorite tree. I've posted a couple times but I figured I might post MORE so I'll say howdy.

I'm about to start my 5th-year as a uni student double-majoring in biology and music. I like books, sex, and nature. I've been enamored with Australia since my parents got me a National Geographic video on Australian fauna when I was 4 and I got to study abroad there last year and absolutely loved it. Got to see an echidna, monitor lizards, tons of kangaroos + wallabies, mudskippers, a cassowary, tropical pigeons, koalas, and tons and tons of birds - all in the wild. I have a cool scar on my leg from crashing off a jump when I went mountain biking near Canberra (there was a wallaby sitting in the path staring at me when I looked up). I make beer sometimes and I like to bake + cook. I love backpacking!

That's me.
kalira wrote:But your own butt is always in the past, because it's behind you.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:17 am UTC

Welcome Liri, your intro promises lots of fun!
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

tarascon

Postby tarascon » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:20 pm UTC

Welcome Liri!
Your love of nature and biology is evident; I'm curious about your other major, music. Can you "chat" about that a bit... music history, theory, or a particular period? :)

PS. When I was younger (think 1970's) I did a lot of backpacking and rock climbing. For example, I snowshoed up Mt. Hood over one Christmas vacation (we slept in an igloo we'd made near the top) and I almost killed myself on that trip due to a whiteout.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:21 pm UTC

Welcome, Liri and tarascon! tarascon, I have been reading Finnegans Wake for about ten years, all by myself. I pick it up and reread sections every few months, but I am more likely to pick up Ulysses, as it is my favorite book. If you ever get that reading group started I might be interested.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:32 am UTC

Tarascon, you sound like you will be a regular on this forum :)
I have a question for you if you don't mind: What are the best-known books you have not read?
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

tarascon

Postby tarascon » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:44 pm UTC

bessie wrote:... If you ever get that reading group started I might be interested.

Will do, but it won't be an online group; I'm assembling a group of local folks and friends in RL.
But that's not to say we can't chat about it here on the Finnegins Wake thread or PM each other long exegesis. :) Atm, I'm reading a shitload of material about FW and plan on re-reading Ulysses... all as a way of being more expert on the Book of the Dark. Folks, I think, are looking to me to be the expert and group leader. LOL. Like I said above, FW is probably the one book in the world that needs to be tackled collaboratively.

bachaddict wrote:Tarascon, you sound like you will be a regular on this forum :)
I have a question for you if you don't mind: What are the best-known books you have not read?

First, I want to say that I'm not vain about the fact that I've read tons--it's not about my ego... it's just who I am. I don't judge people who are non-readers but I certainly am drawn to folks that are. Secondly, though I love reading, I recognize that it's an aspect of my addictive personality (I'm a 20 year recovering alcoholic/drug fiend). So when I state that I have "so & so many" books in my library that's not meant to be a boast... it's an indicator of ocd. As a wee lad whenever I discovered a new writer I liked, I tended to systematically devour his/her's entire oeuvre. I read about 1 to 3 books a week... have done so since I was a teen. How do I have the time? I've whittled away a large chunk of my social life, am no longer married or dating (I call myself heterocelebate), have generally sought out meaningless jobs that do not impact my private world, and haven't had a television since the mid-1980's. Lolly lol lol.
Secondly, that's a good question. Of the classics, the "best-known books" I have not read, I must hang my head in shame and admit I have not read any Jane Austin, Milton (though I totally plan to as I think he's a "must read"), Sir Philip Sidney (a bore), nor have I ever finished Don Quixote ( I laid it aside half read one day years & years ago and never got back to it). I have never read a word of the Harry Potter series. There's more but nothing obvious comes to mind.

I gather you're a "classical" music person. :D

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:12 pm UTC

Yes, my favourite piece of music is BWV 525 :)
Interestingly, I also left Don Quixote half read years ago. It was too heavy going for me at the time. The closest thing to it I finished is Les Miserables.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

he/him/his

Liri

Postby Liri » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:41 pm UTC

I had to put down don Quixote, too. I did finish Moby Dick though and really liked it.

As for music, I play bassoon! I play in my university's orchestra, a few chamber groups, and a couple professional orchestras in the area. When I do solo things, I prefer more contemporary composers (David Lang, Ray Pizzi (jazz bassoonist), Paris Conservatoire pieces, etc.). Playing classical + early romantic rep is the worst. I went through a big Baroque phase a few years ago, did a couple Bach cello suites and some Vivaldi concerti.

tarascon

Postby tarascon » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:58 pm UTC

Liri wrote:I had to put down don Quixote, too. I did finish Moby Dick though and really liked it.

As for music, I play bassoon! I play in my university's orchestra, a few chamber groups, and a couple professional orchestras in the area. When I do solo things, I prefer more contemporary composers (David Lang, Ray Pizzi (jazz bassoonist), Paris Conservatoire pieces, etc.). Playing classical + early romantic rep is the worst. I went through a big Baroque phase a few years ago, did a couple Bach cello suites and some Vivaldi concerti.

I love Moby Dick.

I used to play Coronet in high school and--though I graduated high school in '74 and it was not fashionable with my age group at that time--I've always loved "classical" (the quote marks is because the word classical is generic... for example what a lot of people mean when the say they like Haydn's classical pieces, what they mean is baroque). I also really enjoy a lot of the 20th century neo-classical avant-garde stuff like serial music, minimalist, and noise. I went thru Punk in my youth (spent some time as driver/roadie) and now listen almost exclusively to Medieval & Renaissance, ambient (electronic and other) and "classical" of all types. There is soooo much available these days; when I was a kid the music market was pretty slim.
Thank for responding Liri. :)

Liri

Postby Liri » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:20 pm UTC

No problemo! I wrote a paper on Arvo Pärt this past semester for one of my music history classes - I can dig some medievalist music.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:42 am UTC

tarascon wrote:I've always loved "classical" (the quote marks is because the word classical is generic... for example what a lot of people mean when the say they like Haydn's classical pieces, what they mean is baroque).

Do you mean Haydn's earliest works? Otherwise, he's actually a proper classicist in the narrow sense (like Mozart).
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

tarascon

Postby tarascon » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:52 pm UTC

Yep, you're right. He wasn't the best example to use but you get my drift. :)

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:34 pm UTC

Welcome both newcomers on this page Tarascon and Liri! I read both your intros but it's late here so I don't have much of a response other than: I love reading too! Despite not thinking I was into fantasy, I was eventually persuaded to read Harry Potter and though the first 50 pages or so I had to persevere a little, I read book 3 of 700 pages in a day and a half, loved it.
I can also recomment Jonathan Franzen. I really enjoyed his books.
I don't have time to read much now, I dive into Pratchett just before bed to help me sleep. Sadly that's all I read at the moment.

I must admit that I have been away from the fora for a good year and a few years even before that, so I should probably reintroduce myself... but I won't :mrgreen:
This too shall pass

tarascon

Postby tarascon » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:06 pm UTC

Artemisia wrote:Welcome both newcomers on this page tarascon and Liri!

Fixt. :wink:

Thank you for the welcome and welcome back yourself.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:59 pm UTC

tarascon wrote:
Artemisia wrote:Welcome both newcomers on this page tarascon and Liri!

Fixt. :wink:

Thank you for the welcome and welcome back yourself.

Haha, you're like davean! (our site ninja)
Is the non-capitalization of your username significant, or do you just like it that way?
I would capitalize my username if I could change it. 'Bachaddict' looks more... grown up.

he/him/his

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:02 pm UTC

Me, too.
I was told a lie.

Or; Maybe, it was an internet myth.
I was told I could only use lower case.

Maybe, it was true,
Way back in 2010.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:26 am UTC

The admins (and maybe the mods too) can change our names.
If you ask nicely they may do it too!

he/him/his

tarascon

Postby tarascon » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:44 pm UTC

bachaddict wrote:
tarascon wrote:Is the non-capitalization of your username significant, or do you just like it that way?

I just prefer it that way. Besides, my dad gets to use the capital T. :wink:

addams

Postby addams » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:49 pm UTC

bachaddict wrote:The admins (and maybe the mods too) can change our names.
If you ask nicely they may do it too!

Oh..
Thank you.

I might do that.
It can do no harm to inquire.

...can it...?
They might change my name to...(the element of surprise)
...I may find the Forum Gods in a perverse mood.

Life is fraught with danger...even in 2D.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Steampunk_Bard

Postby Steampunk_Bard » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:47 am UTC

Hey everyone, I usually call myself Forte on the interwebs but that is always taken (which is why I'm not called that here). Haven't got much to say about myself, other than I'm a college student studying CS. Most forums I've come across tend to be dead so I'm excited to join the community here.

SpaceMammoth

Postby SpaceMammoth » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:14 pm UTC

Hi there,

New to the forums, but been reading the comic for years. I work in IT - I'm sure that's not uncommon around here. In my spare time I compensate for not getting to do enough coding in my actual day job by being an indie game developer (Mammoth Gravity Battles), gardening around a pond full of newts and cooking and eating cookies.

tarascon

Postby tarascon » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:28 pm UTC

Fairly new here myself... Hello and welcome to the 2 posters above. :D

G0NZ0

Postby G0NZ0 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:21 am UTC

Hi I am Gonzo. You can spell it that way. I am a 24 year old male. I like writing, making music, and painting. I frequent a handful of forums and play mafia. Looking around for other mafia player and for some new places to dwell.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:09 am UTC

G0NZ0 wrote:Hi I am Gonzo. You can spell it that way. I am a 24 year old male. I like writing, making music, and painting. I frequent a handful of forums and play mafia. Looking around for other mafia player and for some new places to dwell.

Welcome! I'm assuming you've found the Mafia Subforum?

he/him/his

G0NZ0

Postby G0NZ0 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:38 pm UTC

I approve. :mrgreen:

Anti Spiral

Postby Anti Spiral » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:13 am UTC

I am a long time lurker of the forums (when I need answers on specific comics!) and have just registered for the first time....

Why? I'm not sure, I'm a member of many many forums in many different genres across the internet so I guess it's only natural that I signed up eventually.

I've run and managed lots of forums in my time so it's nice to be a mortal (newbie) member once again. Interested in Sports, Maths, Space, Programming + other nerdy things.

I am better with numbers than I am with words.

AS out.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:24 pm UTC

Sports is a nerdy thing now? :D

Enjoy the forum!
Please donate to help these people e.g. Ragna needs these items and Frances needs money for food

Anti Spiral

Postby Anti Spiral » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:26 pm UTC

Monika wrote:Sports is a nerdy thing now? :D

Enjoy the forum!

I play Ultimate Frisbee.

Thanks!

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:32 pm UTC

Welcome to the forums, Anti Spiral! Also, please check out the red spider project (sig)!

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

brunollereau

Postby brunollereau » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:23 am UTC

No place say hi for new humans and old members?

xyweasel

Postby xyweasel » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:12 pm UTC

Hello everyone.

I'm called Xy. It's pronounced "xy". I'm from Britain.

I like science, politics, writing, and travelling. Travelling and visiting cities around the world, especially. I know my way around a few cities, and really like discovering little coffee shops and eating places, about which most people wouldn't necessarily know.

I speak French as well as English, and can understand a few more languages, but I'm definitely not fluent in them. Learning about different languages fascinates me to no end, though.

I listen to a lot of music and play a few video games, and I like to drink, sometimes tea, and sometimes not tea.

I started reading xkcd in 2006, and now I'm here.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:10 pm UTC

xyweasel wrote:Learning about different languages fascinates me to no end, though.

Languages are, like, the coolest.

Did you see the various language practice threads?

Return to “General”