INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Hzza

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby Hzza » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:51 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
Angua wrote:We are all Cheese.
You cannot brie serious...

That pun is no gouda.

I'm Tom, I made an account to post support in a comic thread (my only other post) and moved on to follow the hilarious Steve Waterman shenanigans from a few years back. I'm introducing myself as I'm going to make a bit more of an effort to get involved and posting more rather than just lurking the movies and games sub forums.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:30 pm UTC

Welcome!
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

ParisNorway

Postby ParisNorway » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:02 pm UTC

Hi from Poland.

I'm a linguist turned graphic designer / stock photographer.
On my wedding day I thought about this XKCD: http://xkcd.com/605/

I thought MacGruber was a decent movie. I still do.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:06 am UTC

ParisNorway wrote:Hi from Poland.

I'm a linguist turned graphic designer / stock photographer.
On my wedding day I thought about this XKCD: http://xkcd.com/605/

I thought MacGruber was a decent movie. I still do.

That's always been one of my favorites.

Welcome to the forum!

Linguistics is a neat field...

Cabooceratops

Postby Cabooceratops » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:15 am UTC

Hi, I'm Cabooceratops, uh, Caboo for short, I prefer they/them/their. I'm from Michigan, or Chersonesus, if Jefferson had his way. (bullet dodged)

Um, my hobbies include art, writing, LEGO building, and casual gaming. I own two cockatiels named Bubby and Luna, and I love and adore all birds by extension. I also love robots and paleontology and space and aliens and monsters and animals and music and cartoons and xenofiction and droids and birds and uh

Anyways, Copper Bezel showed me this place and it seems pretty cool and I hope I can fit in?

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:12 am UTC

Cabooceratops wrote:I prefer they/them/their.

Oh wow, you do? Eek. I didn't realize. = . I'll keep that in mind in the future.

In any case, glad you liked and nice to see you here. =] There's all kinds of fun stuff around!
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Cabooceratops

Postby Cabooceratops » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:50 pm UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:
Cabooceratops wrote:I prefer they/them/their.

Oh wow, you do? Eek. I didn't realize. = . I'll keep that in mind in the future.

In any case, glad you liked and nice to see you here. =] There's all kinds of fun stuff around!

Don't worry, this is something I have been thinking about, so I figure I'd try it here where I've never met most people.

...Hi people!
they/them/their

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:23 pm UTC

What sort of Lego do you do?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:45 pm UTC

Cabooceratops wrote:I love and adore all birds
Hi. :mrgreen:
any pronouns
----
Discord for Forum Games posters
(Please let me know if the link doesn't work)

Thutmose I

Postby Thutmose I » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:19 pm UTC

Hello,

It has been suggested to me that I post in this thread for an intro.

I am 24 and from Nevis, and I am mainly interested in QCM. I spend most of my time staring at minecraft mod code, and I occasionally play the game as well.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:00 pm UTC

Thutmose I wrote:Hello,

It has been suggested to me that I post in this thread for an intro.

I am 24 and from Nevis, and I am mainly interested in QCM. I spend most of my time staring at minecraft mod code, and I occasionally play the game as well.

Hi and welcome! That kind of reminds me of how I've been playing Kerbal space program recently -- develop kOS code for the mission I'm planning, test, explosions, debug, repeat. Mostly staring at the code and the online reference.

Cabooceratops

Postby Cabooceratops » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:36 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:What sort of Lego do you do?

Oh, I vary between minifig-scale system builds and CCBS Bonkle-things. IDK if there is a place here to share that sort of thing but I'd be happy to once I clear the newbie hurdle. =V

flicky1991 wrote:
Cabooceratops wrote:I love and adore all birds
Hi. :mrgreen:

*Finger Guns*
they/them/their

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:48 pm UTC

Cabooceratops wrote:Oh, I vary between minifig-scale system builds and CCBS Bonkle-things. IDK if there is a place here to share that sort of thing but I'd be happy to once I clear the newbie hurdle. =V

Here.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Cabooceratops

Postby Cabooceratops » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:12 pm UTC

Deva wrote:
Cabooceratops wrote:Oh, I vary between minifig-scale system builds and CCBS Bonkle-things. IDK if there is a place here to share that sort of thing but I'd be happy to once I clear the newbie hurdle. =V

Here.

Oh wow, you folks really take the no-repeat-threads thing seriously, huh? Okay, I can roll with that. Thanks. =)
they/them/their

Thutmose I

Postby Thutmose I » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:46 pm UTC

pogrmman wrote:
Hi and welcome! That kind of reminds me of how I've been playing Kerbal space program recently -- develop kOS code for the mission I'm planning, test, explosions, debug, repeat. Mostly staring at the code and the online reference.

I have also spent quite a while playing KSP, didn't do that much with kOS though, the most I did with that was make an auto-launch script for one of my RT comsat networks, but then decided to go back to manually flying them.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:16 am UTC

Thutmose I wrote:
pogrmman wrote:

I have also spent quite a while playing KSP, didn't do that much with kOS though, the most I did with that was make an auto-launch script for one of my RT comsat networks, but then decided to go back to manually flying them.

I'm currently designing a mission to send a probe to flyby Laythe in my modded career (life support, OPM, RemoteTech, and unmanned before manned are my primary mods). It's going to use a gravity assist from Eve to get there -- I'm still early in my career. IIRC, I think it only needs something like ~2000 m/s total? It does come with a pretty long flight time though -- like 3 Kerbin years. I may end up aerocapturing if I have the extra delta-v needed (I'm using Realistic Atmospheres, so it can be done without blowing yourself up). I'm also practicing with kOS missions to Kerbin's moons -- I haven't yet done manned missions to them because of the constraints provided by life support and unmanned before manned.

I really like the career progression that comes with this set of mods. The one thing I wish was different is KSC being on the equator -- it makes these early game missions less interesting than they are with KSC somewhere else.

I do have a mission headed to a Moho flyby via Eve that I was able to launch really early in my career -- I didn't know kOS then, so that mission isn't as finely tuned -- I was manually executing burns. (I'm using RT's flight computer for the later ones).

I'm planning to do all my unmanned missions without having to fly them myself for realism purposes. It's still super fun coming up with exactly the proper scripts.

Thutmose I

Postby Thutmose I » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:42 am UTC

pogrmman wrote:
I'm currently designing a mission to send a probe to flyby Laythe in my modded career (life support, OPM, RemoteTech, and unmanned before manned are my primary mods). It's going to use a gravity assist from Eve to get there -- I'm still early in my career. IIRC, I think it only needs something like ~2000 m/s total? It does come with a pretty long flight time though -- like 3 Kerbin years. I may end up aerocapturing if I have the extra delta-v needed (I'm using Realistic Atmospheres, so it can be done without blowing yourself up). I'm also practicing with kOS missions to Kerbin's moons -- I haven't yet done manned missions to them because of the constraints provided by life support and unmanned before manned.

I really like the career progression that comes with this set of mods. The one thing I wish was different is KSC being on the equator -- it makes these early game missions less interesting than they are with KSC somewhere else.

I do have a mission headed to a Moho flyby via Eve that I was able to launch really early in my career -- I didn't know kOS then, so that mission isn't as finely tuned -- I was manually executing burns. (I'm using RT's flight computer for the later ones).

I'm planning to do all my unmanned missions without having to fly them myself for realism purposes. It's still super fun coming up with exactly the proper scripts.

Ya, I am currently taking a break from KSP, I had spent quite a long career building a large colonization ship to send to laythe, and then the kraken started eating all my stuff... I then went and re-designed the colony ship to use EPL instead, got it down to ~200T, and then ran into the bug caused by having fuel tanks with 4-symmetry around your ship, so I needed to re-design things to be a long line instead (I was using the big round fuel tanks from MKS), and then after I got that redesign done, I got distracted by minecraft modding and forgot about it.

featinwe

Postby featinwe » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:59 pm UTC

Hi All,

I just joined after years of reading XKCD, mostly because I got excited discovering that NASA is actually creating "starshade" (as in #1730 comic) and I wanted to share :)

I have an engineer in forestry and GIS. I'm into photography, biology, sports, mountain hiking and anything that has to do with astronomy :D and sci-fi ;)

Czarec

Postby Czarec » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:31 am UTC

Greetings!

After reading xkcd for over 7 years and sporadically reading some threads in the forums I finally found the register button. For a while I tried to keep up with the time thread but WOW! that thing has grown...

In my spare time I play PC games - KSP in particular - read books of varying genres, sing in a choir and go for cycling trips.
When not slacking off, I am working as programmer and admin and just recently I began studying for my masters degree.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:40 pm UTC

Hi Czarec, how did you choose your nick and what kind of choir are you in?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people e.g. Ragna needs these items and Frances needs money for food

Czarec

Postby Czarec » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:55 am UTC

It is a mixed choir with a wide repertoire: classic rock and pop songs, ballads, gospel. Some songs are combined with a simple choreography.
Currently we are working on songs for our next christmas concert (yes, it is that time of the year again...)

The nickname is just what came to mind during sign-up.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:06 pm UTC

Um, hi. I have neglected saying hello.

Liri is short for Liriodendron tulipifera, my favorite tree. A couple months ago I saw the biggest ones on Earth in an old growth forest in western North Carolina. It was very exciting.

I graduated with degrees in music (I'm a bassoonist) and biology (I'm a biologist).

I'm currently working in a biomedical research lab while applying to graduate schools. The broad focus of the lab is on pulmonary immunology (lung defenses). I'm interested in studying the effects of different environmental exposures on aging through epigenetic modifications (molecules that are attached to DNA and to the proteins DNA wraps around that affect how genes are expressed).

Some of my favorite authors are Herbert, le Guin, Atwood, and Ann Patchet. I like mid-century modernist houses.

My profile picture is a Bobbit Worm.
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:28 pm UTC

Liri wrote:Um, hi. I have neglected saying hello.

Liri is short for Liriodendron tulipifera, my favorite tree. A couple months ago I saw the biggest ones on Earth in an old growth forest in western North Carolina. It was very exciting.

I graduated with degrees in music (I'm a bassoonist) and biology (I'm a biologist).

I'm currently working in a biomedical research lab while applying to graduate schools. The broad focus of the lab is on pulmonary immunology (lung defenses). I'm interested in studying the effects of different environmental exposures on aging through epigenetic modifications (molecules that are attached to DNA and to the proteins DNA wraps around that affect how genes are expressed).

Some of my favorite authors are Herbert, le Guin, Atwood, and Ann Patchet. I like mid-century modernist houses.

My profile picture is a Bobbit Worm.

You did introduce yourself viewtopic.php?p=3809077#p3809077
Please donate to help these people e.g. Ragna needs these items and Frances needs money for food

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:02 pm UTC

Monika wrote:You did introduce yourself viewtopic.php?p=3809077#p3809077

Whoa. Well, that was the old me. I almost checked because I wasn't sure. There was some deja vu.
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

NathanBros

Postby NathanBros » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:03 pm UTC

Welcome back to the forums new Liri, enjoy your stay!
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."
Mario Blog (Portuguese): Jogos do Mario Bros.

TvT Rivals

Postby TvT Rivals » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:35 am UTC

Hi xkcd fans!

We are a bunch of tropers* who thought Tv Tropes could need some serious improvements. Like many tropers (and people here), we have IT jobs, and quite some experience in databases, web security, AJAX etc.

Now we have a big plan: We thought many years ago (as early as in the Oughts) that Tv Tropes would be so much better if it was based on a software where examples are fetched from a database. As in, if you go to a trope page, you get all examples from works, and vice versa on work pages. Without too much entry pimping if you want to add stuff.

The thing is, in mid-2012 some guys provided the Tv Tropes site rip, and from then on, things got rolling. (Yeah, originally we had thought this could be done in a few months or so. We were a bit wrong about this.) But now, we're really close to finishing this. And as proof that we hold what the new owners of Tv Tropes only promise, here's a site with screenshots of it.

The reason we're telling you all this: During the work on the new wiki, we had an idea similar as Randall's Robot9000 concept, applied to a different situation. More about this here.

* or ex-tropers, some of us got banned by Fast Eddie

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:10 pm UTC

It's been a long, long, time since I posted on here. Hi.

I've been getting back into xkcd lately (I just read Time. Oh my friggin' goodness.) I kinda missed internet forums.

I've been very anxious about American politics and it looked like you all were having a decent, thoughtful discussion about it so I figured I'd drop in.

How are you?

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:33 pm UTC

Welcome back. I'm tired. How are you?

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:51 pm UTC

Hi everyone! I've been away for about half a year but now I'm back. I hope to catch up with everything I missed in the meanwhile in the next couple of weeks/months.

I had a good laugh reading this post and the next few after it.

Welcome to all the new members!

Monika, I wish you much rest.

While I'm posting here anyway, I might as well reintroduce myself. The other time I did that is at least five years ago.

So I'm Julian, from the Netherlands, and I'll be turning 30 soonish. I graduated in artificial intelligence, after a complicated study career that also involved partial bachelors in biology, linguistics, computer science, a little bit of mathematics and a little bit of philosophy. I took three years to complete my masters thesis, but it ended up being fairly good.

Nowadays I work as a scientific programmer at Utrecht University. I work part time so I can be serieus about doing things I feel like doing during the remaining office hours. I live together with my girlfriend. We take yoga classes together and we plan to have cats.

I used to be most active in the Coding, General and Forum Games forums, probably in that order. I started the red spider project, which you find linked below (it is very much dormant nowadays), and I once hosted a European xkcd meeting. I look forward to getting social with you folks again.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:26 pm UTC

Jplus wrote:Monika, I wish you much rest.

Thank you and welcome back!

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:28 pm UTC

Monika wrote:Welcome back. I'm tired. How are you?

Generally excited to be alive but there's a pretty wide range of feelings above and below that.

NaCl

Postby NaCl » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:58 am UTC

Hi there. Been meaning to do something like this for a long time but never got around to it.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:30 pm UTC

Hi Salt.

Tal-Seto

Postby Tal-Seto » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:13 am UTC

Hi folks!

If i sound short handet, ruggish and bad-tempered, it's not you, it's not me, it's my brain to text Interface which interrupts me while i'm braining =:)

[duplicated posts removed]
(...i [ClassicSpellError] a malkavian...)
Spoiler:
IamveryproudofmyT9.Ihaveverywell eductedit.Itdoeseverytngwng.Ys,itis encrgd,btwittefrststpsyutretng schatng,itbcmswatyumdeoit.
(it keeps secret messages (and now six complete sentences exactly i written. and some single "t"s. (oookay, that's weird, now it grows)))

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:51 pm UTC

Can we knock it off with the quadruple posting? See the forum rules re: double posting.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Tal-Seto

Postby Tal-Seto » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:15 pm UTC

Finally, i must toll you a thing about G.T.A.
I don't know how long i somtime sitting around, listening to the sound of traffic in this game.
It was like the  sound of the sea with i'm-on-my-will-seagulls travelling around.

(oh my god, where's my final point...)

[duplicated posts removed]
(...i [ClassicSpellError] a malkavian...)
Spoiler:
IamveryproudofmyT9.Ihaveverywell eductedit.Itdoeseverytngwng.Ys,itis encrgd,btwittefrststpsyutretng schatng,itbcmswatyumdeoit.
(it keeps secret messages (and now six complete sentences exactly i written. and some single "t"s. (oookay, that's weird, now it grows)))

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:51 am UTC

Dude, you don't read, do you?
ImageImageImageImageImage

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:43 pm UTC

I'm currently finding out.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

voicedotter

Postby voicedotter » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:59 am UTC

So I am back, again. I really need to be active... Again. Hello, how are you all. I just came out of the door to the left. (I wonder if anyone will understand that old reference.)

I now have a diploma in computer networking (so I can configure cisco routers and switches) and sadly don't have a job where I use that information (I push trolleys at the supermarket).

I help run my local furry community. I am also learning to be a dungeon master. And I watch comedy videos on the internet.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:31 am UTC

Welcome back, voiced otter!

Return to “General”