Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Uncle Sherm

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby Uncle Sherm » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:18 pm UTC

I am Aaron. I am a 31 year old engineering student at Iowa State University. I've been following xkcd for a long time now, but just decided to join the forum.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:34 am UTC

Hi immortal Scott. Can I see your games?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

samglover25

Postby samglover25 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:39 pm UTC

Hullo, my name's Sam, as you can probably infer from my username. I'm a fifteen year old boy from London, England, and I'm currently half way through my GCSEs. I used to have an account on these forums, but I can remember neither the username nor the password, and I probably don't want to associate myself with that account, as I seem to remember making particularly moronic posts. Anyway, I enjoy xkcd, so I thought that I might re-register, and perhaps become at least a small part of the wonderful xkcd community.

Anyway, about my interests. I enjoy Video Games, and Manga and Anime. At school, I am in love with two subjects: History, and Maths (or Math, as this is an American forum). I am not especially good at either History or maths, but a passion is a passion. I'm not a very big fan of Science Fiction, which is a shame, as I know that the majority of users are most likely large sci-fi fans. Saying that, I loved the new Batman film (well, I say loved, I didn't enjoy it at much as the Dark Knight, but far more than Batman Begins.)

Anyway, I hope with time people around these forums will get to know me at least a little, and that I will get to know the people here a lot. See you around, Sam.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:20 am UTC

Hi Sam, enjoy the forum :) . Also non-scifi-fans are allowed. And stick to your passions, even if you are not really good at them.

Blackdomino

Postby Blackdomino » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:00 am UTC

Greetings,
I was introduced to xkcd by my husband a few months ago. He is a software-type person but I am not. I am a semi-geek, part nerd more of the bio than the physics/chem variety. I am 35 and now a mum which is cool but a bit weird still ("Oh wow that kid is mine!") if you are trying to picture me think Tina Fey but not as pretty.
My interests are satirical comedy of the 30 rock oeuvre, health, intelligent fiction and kitties.
"It's not that I condone fascism, or any 'ism' for that matter. ' Isms' in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in any 'ism' they should believe in themselves." - Ferris Bueller

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:29 am UTC

Welcome, Blackdomino!
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

voicedotter

Postby voicedotter » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:19 pm UTC

Welcome all the new people. I'm your friendly otter with a voice. Please watch for raptors. be kind to the staff and enjoy the stay.

Pterodactyl

Postby Pterodactyl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:00 pm UTC

Hi. I don't really know what to say, I've never been good at introducing anything, especially myself. Anyway, I've been reading xkcd for a while now, and it's just awesome.

tanderson11

Postby tanderson11 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:08 am UTC

Hello everyone.

I am a high school student who has read xkcd and lurked on these forums for far too long.

My interests include programming, math, sci-fi, philosophy, and strategy games. I enjoy puzzles, role-playing games, Firefly, and other traditionally nerd-y/geeky activities (though I must confess my apetite for puns and word play is somewhat lacking). Anyway, I will probably go back to lurking, but I just thought I would finally make a post.

Cromulen7

Postby Cromulen7 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:02 pm UTC

Hi,

My name is Marin, I'm 17 and I like programming and gaming.

I've been registered for a while and lurking for a while longer, just never actually posted. So here's it.
I'm probably sticking to the forum fora, posting and all, from now on... :D

EDIT: apparently the word fora is preferred

Malt

Postby Malt » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:02 am UTC

Hello. I'm Malt. Milkshake or liquor, whichever you prefer. I'm a sophomore in college, CS/ling major. I'm awful at talking about myself. So I'll just leave this here. Howdy, y'all.

KevinLevin

Postby KevinLevin » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:53 am UTC

Hello, I am Kevin and I am 22 years old. I have recently joined this forum. And, it is a great thing to get attached with the people of this forum. :)
Thank You.
You can find some really Funny Facebook statuses & These Funny facebook status !!

TommyRiordan

Postby TommyRiordan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:22 am UTC

Hi,my name is Tommy.I am 22 and studying in college.

voicedotter

Postby voicedotter » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:41 pm UTC

Hello everyone, welcome to the fora. Enjoy your stay, we have rooms and areas for everything. The staff are friendly, and so are most of the other residents. Oh and keep an eye out for raptors.

cegan09

Postby cegan09 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:16 pm UTC

I joined a long time ago, but i'm not sure i ever posted here. (or really at all)

Chris, 25, Mechanical engineer.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:51 am UTC

Oh, hello, is this the intro thread? Hi, intro thread!

I come to these forums occasionally when I am not sure I understand the comics, and I often want to add comments, but can't because I don't remember my password or something, and then I realise I never signed up, so I try to sign up, but the signup doesn't work in the browser I'm using, etc…

Today I discovered I had actually registered back when I thought I did, with the password I thought I had. So, hi! I love maths (which I studied at university) and programming and physics and linguistics and creative writing and [listening to, not making] music (especially if it's funny and/or about science.) I am a code monkey at CERN, a sea monkey on JoCo Cruise Crazy, and some kind of hominid everywhere else. I am looking forward to meeting Randall on the next JoCo Cruise Crazy.

I am planning on remixing an xkcd comic soon, so I'm wondering if there is a thread somewhere with resources for that; I thought I saw someone mention a font on one of the individual comic threads. I found the 'making xkcd slightly worse' thread already, so I will post there instead of bumping the old comic thread.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:02 am UTC

Waves. See this for the font. Cannot recall any comic creation resources.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:11 am UTC

Yay, thanks for the font, Deva! I guess there isn't really anything else necessary for remixing, apart from the comics themselves.

While I'm here, I may as well say hello to all the other people who introduced themselves in this thread. Hello.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Postby 2652 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:57 pm UTC

Hey,

I'm 19 years old, from Sweden and currently on a sabbatical from studying. I've been working as a tutor on and off for the last two years while studying and now that I'm out of school I try to spend as much time as possible on the good things in life, such as roleplaying a mouse with a sword, repairing/breaking small boats and reading far too many webcomics. Hopefully you'll see me around here a fair bit in the future, during the time I've been lurking it has always seemed like a lot of fun discussions going on.

Patrik3

Postby Patrik3 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:49 am UTC

Hi!

Occupation: A little complicated - I dropped out of Uni (Mech Eng) 1 1/2 years ago. Since then I've been looking to retry my course, but not having made a decision meant I didn't want to commit to any long-term employment. I had a job just before Christmas, but I found it horribly stressful and quit after a month. Since then I've not been doing much: living on the computer at home, trying to lose weight and get thin, imagining what it must be like to have a girlfriend, thinking philosophical thoughts...

About Me: I am imaginative. A little shy around strangers but conversely rather extroverted when hyper with friends. I don't count myself as a 'hipster', but my natural tendency to criticize all ideas and try to follow my own path, whilst very logical and individual, sometimes goes a little too far...

For most of my life, I had a diagnosis of being mildly autistic, but in the last year I have been re-diagnosed with ADD (attention deficit disorder). I don't mind sharing this information publicly as it's part of who I am... the 'label' definitely fits me. I procrastinate (and I know everyone procrastinates but I really do it. With almost everything. Including nice things...), I can be easily distracted, but sometimes hyperfocus and lose track of time - this has already manifest itself on the forum in that, when I'm posting about something I'm really into, I tend to write a mini-essay each post... (this post will probably become a prime example!)

I'm modest about my ability in most areas - although this is because I keep switching my interests so I never get a chance to be very good at anything... I have a rather low self opinion, although knowing I have ADD helps me not blame myself for the way I am so much, and has given me new ways to deal with my flaws. The one thing I allow myself immodesty on, and the one thing that I would take with me to the afterlife (if there is one) is my mind - my creativity, rationality, philosophy etc.

I'm very inventive, and when trying to learn a new skill I'll always look for a way to do it 'differently'. A large cause of frustration in my life is finding out that my ideas won't work, or they've already been thought up. (If only I'd been born sooner...!) I also have a 'good' sense of humour - (read: makes a fool of himself a lot, can think up enough puns on any given topic to make his audience go insane...)

Physically: Quite overweight, but fairly sporty for my size. I dislike how I look, and if I were to be born again I'd want to be a girl - but now I'm a guy I'm gonna stick with it. I am a member of the local gym, I've a serious adventure streak - so if I'm on holiday expect me to at least want to attempt the nearest mountain... If I had just two favourite physical pastimes, they would be cycling (my record in a day is 105 miles!), and climbing. However, due to my size and my financial situation, I rarely practice the latter anymore. I'm thinking of taking up a martial art if I can find somewhere to train. I went on a canyoning day out once and loved it, wouldn't mind taking that up if I lived in the mountains.

Interests (aside from physical): I spend too much time on the computer - I tell people I'm always on games, although these days it's more like 40% games and 60% YouTube, Facebook, reading webcomics + funny stuff, and now forums as well... If I'm not on the computer, I'm at the gym, or lazing around feeling glum and wondering what to do with myself... I LOVE roller coasters - it's my dream to become a designer of something to do with leisure/thrills/outdoors. Ask me about any UK coaster, and there's a good chance I'll be able to talk about it for a few paragraphs... I also like game shows (not quiz shows, although I like them too) and once I get fit, it's an aspiration of mine to apply for something like Total Wipeout, if it's still running...
Aside from specifics, in general I have a wide spectrum of interest, and as I've said, I frequently have "new" ideas, or philosophies, or political views, but they're never very developed because I lose interest so quickly. I have a few ideas of books that I might one day write and they'll be the next 1984 and they'll change the world... or not... Also, I've thought about getting into blogging, but I don't know how I'd start out, so for the time being I'll probably be using this forum a lot.

Relationship?: Nope. Never had one. Interested in females, I was slightly bi-curious once but not so much now. I've been conditioned by society to be ultra-curious about losing my virginity, but the truth is, although I'd like a girlfriend, it's more of a desire for someone to call my own, to hug, and... to play games with. If it's okay to post this here, I'm not afraid to admit that I have a couple mild deviancies. Unfortunately I'm totally shy when sober and a complete buffoon when not, and I often tell myself that it would be selfish to look for a relationship until I'm the way I want to be. (For several reasons.)

Religion: I've noticed that there's no "religion and philosophy" board here. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough but I assume that's to prevent flame wars? I'll be brief here then. Ex-Christian, and Agnostic, possibly with a slight curiousity about Buddhism.

Music: In brief - my top 3 bands would be... 1) The Cat Empire 2) Muse 3) Black Keys. I like many other bands too but after my top 3 it's hard to put them into such a neat order.

Favourite: Book? 1984, Film? Probably "Yes Man", Game? FFIX, Roller Coaster? Expedition GeForce, Comedy? Hmm... maybe "IT crowd", maybe "Not Going Out", maybe something else... hard one! Drink? Non-Alcoholic: Either milk or pepsi max. Alcoholic: Either: Spiced Rum/Cocktails/Weston's Cider/Expensive Whiskey depending on the occasion and how much money I have. Food? I'm ashamed to say, but over all the exotic things I love having, Ben and Jerry's cookie dough ice cream is still the best comfort food ever. Anime? I would've said "Death Note" but I'm not so sure. Dress code? Neon colours everywhere (though I'm not confident enough to apply this to anything but socks), I always wear shorts, usually with a button-up short sleeve shirt - even in snow. Stripes are awesome. Faction (i.e. good or evil)? ...Neutral/Greedy Conquerors/People who hide out in their ultra cool fortress and ignore the war. Colour? Green. Or orange. Or sky blue. Unless rainbow is an option. Animal? Alligator or eagle.

Why did I join the forum?: Initially, because I wanted to post in a 'What-If' topic. Also, I've read XKCD for a couple years. Also, I'm not sure if there's much chance of making friends in a community this large, but I'd like to try!

Am I on any other forums?: Yes. I used to be a member of CoasterForce; I recently joined a climbing forum - although that was for only asking 1 question; and I am also an infrequent member of an MLP based forum - my friends got me into the show, and I've seen both seasons but I'm no raving brony-fanboy, but I made friends on that forum so I still visit there once in a while...

Anyway, I think that covers most of the bases... I've got a dreadful feeling I've missed something quite important out. A summary for people who think TL:DR (which is, incidentally, one of the phrases that angers me most):
Inventive
Writes really long posts
Funny?
Roller coasters!
Philosophical
Hopefully going back to Uni
Shy IRL

...And if you don't read anything else then just "Hi sorry that I post essays. I hope I make some new acquaintances... um... yeah! Hello!"

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:07 am UTC

Hi Patrik3. I think everyone should post their favorite roller coaster in their introduction. Welcome to the forum! Have fun here.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:36 pm UTC

Even though I know it's no longer a requirement to post in here as an intro, I feel obligated to do it anyway.

I'm a fairly geeky post-architecture student (can't say you're an architect if you're not practicing) who lives in the San Fransisco bay area. My hobbies include cooking, baking, drawing, music, and making boring intro posts. I'm sure I'll find myself lurking about in the gaming forum's minecraft thread before long (who am I kidding, I've already been doing that). Long time reader of xkcd, I guess sitting at work for inordinate amounts of time causes one to become addicted to message boards (who knew?), and *gasp* want to contribute. The cooking forum might get a bit more content going forward as well, in the way of bread techniques/recipes. Yay for wasting time!

robinbowes

Postby robinbowes » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:01 pm UTC

Hey all,

I just joined to add a post to an existing thread [1] but, for some reason, the text below was rejected as "The reported message has the only purpose to advertise for a website or
another product." Eh? WTF? etc. etc.

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, those who don't, and those that weren't expecting a base 3 joke."

OK, so the thread is 5 years-old, but hey - I'm not advertising anything! :)

Ah well, never mind.

R.

[1] http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=293

Seven
Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One

Postby Seven » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:27 pm UTC

Thought I'd say hi - again - since I don't come in here very often. :)

ecce

Postby ecce » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:58 am UTC

Ahoy. I'm an engineer, and I like to draw comics myself. As a Slashdot addict, I appreciate finding a forum that has lots of +5 insightfuls without the hostile environment.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:04 pm UTC

robinbowes wrote:Hey all,

I just joined to add a post to an existing thread [1] but, for some reason, the text below was rejected as "The reported message has the only purpose to advertise for a website or
another product." Eh? WTF? etc. etc.

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, those who don't, and those that weren't expecting a base 3 joke."

OK, so the thread is 5 years-old, but hey - I'm not advertising anything! :)

Ah well, never mind.

R.

[1] viewtopic.php?f=7&t=293

That was probably me. If only because I remember disapproving a post (along with, like, 40 others) and right after hitting it thinking "wait, was that one a real post?.....huh."

Non-sequitors in ancient threads is.. suprisingly common for edit-spambots. That's where the bot makes a comment that doesn't follow the flow of conversation, is often in a older thread and adds.. really nothing of note to the conversation. Nothing worth dragging up an old thread for it, at least. And then two or three weeks later, the post is covered in h3rb4l cia11i5 for Jerseys Uggs Real Louis Vitton

So.. sorry about that. I know I err on the side of "A human will just try again".
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jobi

Postby Jobi » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:14 pm UTC

Hey, I'm just looking around the forum really, mostly lurking. Figured I'd post anyway.

Tangaroa

Postby Tangaroa » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:18 am UTC

Hi.

I test satellites. I used to build diodes. Before that, grad school. Before that, trying to monetize nanotubes. Woo-hoo, Science!

I play Pathfinder and other RPG's.

I live in Boulder, Colorado, one of the nerdiest and athletic places in the U.S. Pretty good at the first part, sometimes work on the 2nd part :P

ThirdParty

Postby ThirdParty » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:58 pm UTC

Hi, everyone. I'm a 29-year-old ethicist from the United States. I don't expect to be very active here, at least in the immediate future, but wanted to go ahead and stake out an account so that I'd have the option of posting if I wanted to.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:56 am UTC

Welcome! Do you prefer deontological, consequentialist or virtue ethics? Or something else?
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

LaSargenta

Postby LaSargenta » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:57 pm UTC

JAFE, old, been reading xkcd for a long time.

You may call me LaSargenta.

ThirdParty

Postby ThirdParty » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:19 am UTC

Jplus wrote:Welcome! Do you prefer deontological, consequentialist or virtue ethics? Or something else?
Thanks for the welcome!

Since a large part of what attracts me to this forum is the Logic Puzzles section, I'll go ahead and share my analysis of the possible answers to your question:
  • If you ask a virtue theorist whether he's a consequentialist, he'll demonstrate the virtue of honesty, by answering "no".
  • If you ask a deontologist whether he's a consequentialist, he'll obey the "do not lie" rule, by answering "no".
  • If you ask a consequentialist whether he's a consequentialist, he'll try to avert the disastrous consequences which would ensue if the masses came to believe that "the ends justify the means, so just do whatever you think will have the best results" were a good decision procedure, by answering "no".
Of the two options on which I can informatively comment, I prefer deontology. Refraining from acting on my vices strikes me as a much more realistic goal than ceasing to have them.

marionic

Postby marionic » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:20 am UTC

Hi! I'm marionic. My brother is flicky1991 and some of you may have already read my comic, Educomix.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:40 am UTC

Well answered! You make me wonder what a consequentialist will answer when you ask them whether they're a deontologist/virtue theorist, though... ;)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

thalia

Postby thalia » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:43 pm UTC

Hey all.
I'm 24, female type. Been reading xkcd for many, many years. I study medicine and have 1 year left until I get licensed. Born in Norway, live in Poland with my boyfriend. I like nerdy things, especially sci-fi.
Just got my xkcd hoodie ^^and my Heights poster in the mail today.

I'd love to get to know some people, hopefully we can arrange some kind of Europe-based meetup eventually.
One of these days.

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:01 pm UTC

I love your sig, thalia!

thalia

Postby thalia » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:40 am UTC

Thanks, it's from 2008 I think. Happy 1 year xkcd forum anniversary RollingHead. :D
One of these days.

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:18 am UTC

Oh thank you, I didn't even notice :)

hroobarb

Postby hroobarb » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:51 pm UTC

27/Male/Sweden

I'm finishing up a vocational education in mechanical engineering/CAD, and I'm pretty good with CATIA and Pro/Engineer. I like to draw and I've been thinking about making comics. I was born here, but embarrassingly i have kind of an immigrant/ghetto accent because i talk too much in Finnish and read too much in English, and i grew up in a rough neighborhood.

tms

Postby tms » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:26 pm UTC

Hello, my alias is tms and I'm an egg.

I like to read about astronomy, space exploration, and archaeology. Many other things too, though my throughput isn't comparatively high. Writing, in any persistent sense, I usually do when translating something. As a hobby. So it follows I don't code. I rather work with existing code which is sometimes enough to make it work for me. I also like video game music, especially from 1987..1994. I heard some of it when it was new. The Voyager probes (or the Atari 2600) are slightly older than me.

I was born in Finland but live there as well.

St:9 Le:13 Wi:14 Dx:10 To:10 Ch:8 Ap:11 Pe:11
- No, son. I said 'duck'.
- Duck duck duck duck! Duck duck duck duck!

Return to “General”