Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby Monika » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:51 am UTC

What does it mean you're an egg?

What does St:9 Le:13 Wi:14 Dx:10 To:10 Ch:8 Ap:11 Pe:11 mean?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

tms

Postby tms » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:23 am UTC

Monika wrote:What does it mean you're an egg?

What does St:9 Le:13 Wi:14 Dx:10 To:10 Ch:8 Ap:11 Pe:11 mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stranger_in_a_Strange_Land
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Domains_of_Mystery (so not much)
- No, son. I said 'duck'.
- Duck duck duck duck! Duck duck duck duck!

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:26 am UTC

It's actually my 4th post.
I'm 21 from Poland and I read XKCD since 2011.
I have a website with some things on it. I like computers(Amiga, 386, 486), cycling, polish trains, 2008-2010 i was racing against a train on a bicycle (about 700m from the station to the railway crossing look for "Czernica Wrocławska" in google maps). Every year i make a lamp. Sometimes i make other things: wire bicycles, etc. I draw despite my dysgraphia. I'm an electronics student.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:25 pm UTC

@tms: Oh that's why new Twitter users have egg avatars (probably).

@balthasar_s: Awesome. Did you ever win against the train?

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:34 pm UTC

Yes. I won more often than I lost. The train (EN57) needed some time to accelerate, so if I was fast enough, I was at the railway crossing one or two seconds before the train.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Schrollini

Postby Schrollini » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:31 pm UTC

Hi. My name's Schrollini, and I'm...

I'm...

(This is embarassing to admit.)

I'm ... addicted to the Pressures thread.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:24 am UTC

Waves. Is not alone. Contains the most replies of any XKCD comic thread. Second place: two thousand fourteen replies. Locked that quickly, however.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Jonadan

Postby Jonadan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:20 pm UTC

Hi, I'm new here.

I'm 26, male, and from Michigan but currently in DC. I've been reading the comic for several years now, and am still trying to figure out whether these forums are "official" and if so why they're not linked from the comic. (Best guess, "maybe", and "to slow down spam".) Anyway finally registered today prompted by the traffic lights.

I teach math, and I play chess, Diplomacy, and fantasy football online, I dance a little (swing and contra right now), watch too much football (American), and ref soccer. And that's pretty much my life.

Firegremlin

Postby Firegremlin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:57 pm UTC

Hi all!

I'm Alex.

I can't read forum rules, so my first post got flagged for having a link and now I don't feel like writing it out again. Arg.

Stupid me.

Deva

Postby Deva » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:19 pm UTC

Jonadan wrote:I'm 26, male, and from Michigan but currently in DC. I've been reading the comic for several years now, and am still trying to figure out whether these forums are "official" and if so why they're not linked from the comic. (Best guess, "maybe", and "to slow down spam".) Anyway finally registered today prompted by the traffic lights.

Qualifies as the official forums. (Proof: Member "xkcd". Joined second, thirteen minutes after davean.) Linked here previously. Removed it for an unknown reason. Filled the space later with "What If?". Retaliated recently by removing the link from the forums to the comic.

GodspeedYouAli

Postby GodspeedYouAli » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:31 pm UTC

Hey, I'm Ali, I'm 17 and currently residing in Syr1a. I'm totally uninteresting and spend my time writing music, poetry, and watching somewhat pretentious arthouse films and pretending I understand xkcd comics. Oh and also lately I've been obsessed with photography, even though I only have a shitty 10 year old bridge camera.

Also I overdo everything (including this "bio" post) and I'm not as lame as this bio makes me sound, even though I have total control of what it says, which is odd.

I'm not really scared of anything, except wasps. Wasps are shitty drinking buddies. Pictures of David Hasselhoff kinda freak me out too (his face is SO symmetric, but HOW?)

So yeah, supwiddat?
"Urge, and urge, and urge;
Always the procreant urge of the world."

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:36 pm UTC

Why do you write Syria with a 1?

GodspeedYouAli

Postby GodspeedYouAli » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:33 am UTC

Monika wrote:Why do you write Syra with a 1?

I'm hoping it's a way around those monitoring programs that track specific keywords/the frequency of their use, if those even exist (I'm not very tech savvy).

It's for, uhm, science.

themovingthing

Postby themovingthing » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:42 am UTC

hey, hi.

I'm in the united states, bouncing back and forth between the west and east coast, family and school.

I like reading, and drawing. I'm really interested in philosophies and religions, especially those which are specially odd. I like to paint a bit, but less than drawing.

I'm a wordy-person, (read way too many books as a kid) and there are quite a few other wordy people on here (I've read them, it's pretty great). I don't know many people irl that actually have 'voices' in that way (it's amazing how many people are only functionally literate), so it's pretty fun to see and makes me want to practice my own writing.

The Flail

Postby The Flail » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:26 am UTC

Hellooo everybooddyyy!!! My name is Chris ^-^

Um, let's see, I guess I'm 22 now, but I do find myself wondering whether or not the number matches my maturity. Oh, oh, and I am as of the latest census male in gender (no plans to change , no plans to change), but I feel like I write mousy, do you know? And some people say I talk and act girly, but I'm not, kay? >=/ I just act a little younger than I should, so there! You'll find that there may be a great deal more "Japanese" smilies and the occassional "tee hee," but I promise to keep them down if can. Oh dear, it seems I've rambled for far too long about my writing style. I'm sorry, I'm sorry! -_-'

*bows*bows*bows*

Um, um, anyways, I really like playing percussion (especially drum kit), and making stuffed animals, and I guess stuffed animals in general. I love toys! I'm going to school right now, but I want to own and operate a toy and entertainment development company some day.

oh oh oh! I forgot, I'm new, but er, I guess you already knew that. Gosh, this is such a long and meandering introduction, I'm so sorry!

*bows*bows*bows*

I'm um, Korean and stuff, so it's just kind of a habit. As the limitations of thread posts prevent me from showing you, please try to imagine me bowing, cos I will, I promise!

Well, um, I do hope we'll be able to talk soon everyone, it's very nice to meet all of you! Hee hee ^-^

nixemus

Postby nixemus » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:49 pm UTC

Hi everyone, I'm Jason.

I was born in 1990 of Korean-English parentage. I was educated at Bourne Grammar School and later Birmingham Conservatoire, where I studied Composition in lieu of an actual degree. I have been a pianist since the age of 6 and a composer since the age of 18. I didn’t take a gap year and by the end of my 4 years at Birmingham Conservatoire, I was thoroughly fed up of education. Now I work at Future Publishing as a video editor, where I help make PlayStation Access, a weekly show on the PlayStation Network and YouTube about PlayStation and video games.

I am a writer as well as a composer. I recently wrote a children's book, which you can get for free on my website. My recreations are reading, playing video games, alphabetising other people’s DVD collections and looking at pictures of cats. My antipathies are essays, politics, recovering from illnesses and waking up in the morning. My favourite children’s book is “Henri’s Walk To Paris” by Saul Bass.

The Flail

Postby The Flail » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:42 am UTC

WHOOOAAAA HEY! Two Korean pianists at once?

Trasher

Postby Trasher » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:45 am UTC

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie and hope everyone will be fine.
My name is Trasher and I'm a teacher. Music, bodybuilding and pets are my love.
Rather they are my passion.I've found this forum on Google and it is very nice regarding sharing information.
Hope for a nice time.
regards

nixemus

Postby nixemus » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:01 am UTC

The Flail wrote:WHOOOAAAA HEY! Two Korean pianists at once?

That's... pretty awesome how unlikely that is!
No trees were killed in the sending of this message,
but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

GodspeedYouAli

Postby GodspeedYouAli » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:27 pm UTC

Surely the next step is a collab.

Crown of Fire

Postby Crown of Fire » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:36 pm UTC

Hey Guys,

My name's Bobby... but call me whatever. I'm a 21 year old Canadian, gearing up for another cold winter haha. I've been a long time lurker, several years, my High School girlfriend got me reading the comic. Started lurking the forums about a year ago, mostly the individual comic threads but I poke my head around in the other forums from time to time.

I currently am a Bartender/Manager at a small Restaurant/pub, its a smallish chain across Western Canada. Beyond that I took a two year Golf Operations Management Diploma, was primarily a business course. Beyond that, I love to snowboard, and grew up playing Goal in Hockey as well as participated in pretty much every other team sport at one point or another (minus football).

Anyway figured I'd say Hi, and start contributing to the conversations that take place here.

Cheers.

Postby 512 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:24 am UTC

Hi, I'm Thomas. I'm currently a uni student in New Zealand, slacking off prior to exams.
I enjoy number theory and recreational mathematics, and fill the rest of my time with linux and functional programming.
I'm mainly here for ranting, fleeting thoughts and not studying.

ferristriangle

Postby ferristriangle » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:07 pm UTC

Good morning. I'm Brendan. And I could've sworn I've already had an account here, but I guess it was auto-deleted for never posting.

My first forum, which is my home on the Internet, has slowed down in activity in the past years. So now I'm trying to reach out into a new community on this sometimes frightening Internet. I'm a physics major who likes to procrastinate on doing actual work by having academic debates with the Internet.

I believe that good morning is a superior greeting to hello, no matter what time of day it is. Good morning just contains so much beautiful imagery in such a simple statement. Within those two words is the bright sun rising up to meet a day filled with opportunity, with the vivid sunlight drenching our Earth in the pure embodiment of energy, passion, and drive, while at the same time being gentle and soothing. There's just so much power in a greeting like good morning that just isn't present in something like, "Hey man, what's up?"

Also, if I stay consistent, I have an excuse for not having to actually know what the time of day is.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:44 pm UTC

Good morning, Brendan.

ferristriangle

Postby ferristriangle » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:31 pm UTC

Good morning, Monika.

thalia

Postby thalia » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:33 am UTC

I've seen that face before!

Hi ferris:) Funny to see you here. -Jen
One of these days.

ferristriangle

Postby ferristriangle » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:36 pm UTC

thalia wrote:I've seen that face before!

Hi ferris:) Funny to see you here. -Jen

You have?

I mean, I am literally the only ferristriangle on the internet, so you can't be mistaking me for someone else.

This always happens to me, people will recognize me and I won't remember Who they are and then I feel like a jerk.

Though, I think this is the first time it happened to me online.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:07 pm UTC

I think you just might have one of those faces where people think you look like someone else. It's very useful if you're a spy.

You're a spy, aren't you?
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

thalia

Postby thalia » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:23 pm UTC

Well, it also helps to have a giant painted Avatar arrow on your head.. I know you from your forum Internet home, my dear. I am the only Jen there.
One of these days.

ferristriangle

Postby ferristriangle » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:15 pm UTC

I don't spy...

Also, aren't there tons of people with airbender arrows on their heads?

Deva

Postby Deva » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:25 pm UTC

Not since the Fire Nation invasion.

ferristriangle

Postby ferristriangle » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:42 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Not since the Fire Nation invasion.

There is no war in Ba Sing Se...

sccdemir

Postby sccdemir » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:23 pm UTC

17 year old high school senior here from Turkey. Just bumped into this forum. Sadly, I'm not experienced in academic stuff so I'm guessing I'll be pretty much lingering around in the Culture and General section and lurking all over the other sciency parts. Hi folks.

AMathmagician

Postby AMathmagician » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:45 am UTC

Hi, I'm Michael. I'm an undergraduate in mathematics, in the middle of my junior year. I'm most interested in algebra, which is what I plan on studying in grad school. I'm mostly interested in the math subforum, but I may wander around other places as well. When I'm not busy with work or school, I can be found browsing Reddit or playing EVE Online, a terrible internet spaceship game.

Alice3173

Postby Alice3173 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:36 am UTC

Hi, I'm Alice and I randomly decided to register even though I likely won't be too terribly active here.

bearachute

Postby bearachute » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:24 pm UTC

Hey I'm bearachute.

I mostly go to the irc chat, but decided to hop online here, needed another place to fill in some time.

I uh, do stuff. I'm not very exciting sorry.

Troll King

Postby Troll King » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:18 am UTC

Greetings, mortals!

I am the legendary Troll King. I do not come here in search of trolling, I merely come here to relax from trolling and ruling the underworld. Although I do have an entire website for discussing trolling, I do not wish to speak of that now. For now I simply wish to say hello. I hope that none of you are fearing that I will troll here, for I can assure you that is not the case. So, again, I bid good day to fellow citizens of xkcdville!

WilliamTheConqueror

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:49 pm UTC

My name's william and I'm from kansas!

I'm also a sophmore in high school and i plan on going to college for anthropology and/or classics(?) at KU. :D

Rodion Raskolnikov
Alyona Ivanovna knows what you did last summer

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:12 pm UTC

Hello William, and welcome to the fora!

Greetings also to Troll King, bearachute, Alice, Michael and sccdemir.

Yo Rodja's kind of a dick, those are the facts / He murdered a pawnbroker with an axe
Now Dosoyevsky is here to teach you / About his problems with the philosophy of Nietzsche

~ ahammel

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:27 pm UTC

Hello, I am free-bee. Free-bee was one of my first aliases from a few years ago. I do have another alias I have used more that free-bee; it's qazxsw21000. I live in London (Laurel County), Kentucky and have been since I was born 19.5 years ago. I am generally a shy person and most of my time is either online or in electronics. I am currently attending a two year community college for electronics engineering. My backup plan is computer maintenance engineer.

I have two sisters. One is two years older than me, one is two years younger than me. I am self-taught in website scripting (PHP, HTML, MySQL). My room looks like a hurricane went through it. I am slowly losing interests in certain video games. I am teaching myself how to play the keyboard/piano. I write my own music sometimes and very few of them get finished.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

Return to “General”