Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

davedrowsy

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby davedrowsy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

Absolutely! There are actually already a lot of music programming languages in existence (I can't post links quite yet, but search wikipedia -- there is an article something like "List of music programming languages"), but as a composer, none of the ones I've tried are really satisfactory to me as a way of creating music.

Csound, ChucK and Supercollider are all very cool "audio programming languages," but are really more suited towards experiments in electronic music. The MPL I'm working on will be able to do similar things (maybe not as full-featured as those 3 languages) with waveforms, but will also be an easy, flexible means of writing MIDI files. I might even implement a nice soundfont and have the program output audio and/or export to wav/mp3. My primary inspiration is a language called MCK MML, which tons of chiptune musicians use to create NES music. The syntax of MML is very clean and easy to use (here's a sample of 2 square waves in unison doing a D major scale: AB d4 e8 f+ g a b > c+ d1), which makes it accessible for musicians who maybe aren't the best programmers. So I'm basically copying that ease of use, but with a goal of being able to create MIDI music, not just NES music.

Programmers will probably appreciate how easy it is to explore music creation by typing up a text file and running a compiler, rather than having to actually learn how to play an instrument. :)

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

Sounds awesome :) .
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Mordus

Postby Mordus » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

Hello, name is Jeremy (handle of Mordus).

I'm currently living in San Antonio, Texas (US).

I've lurked on the forums for years and years. Finally created an account, tried to post and everything was dropped as Spam. I'm hoping this try will work. :lol:

I'm a gamer of all sorts.

Video Games - Mostly turn based strategy or real time strategy or basically anything that could be described in some kind of strategy type word.

Miniature Games - Warhammer Fantasy is my love, although I no longer have an army and I'm a terrible painter. I love the play though. Plus I can't find any Fantasy gamers in San Antonio.

Board Games - All types as the board game group I go to plays all kinds. I especially like the epic strategy games like Runewars (love it, own it), TI3 (still waiting to play), Eclipse and War of the Ring. I've play and own a little bit of everything though. Oh yes and Blood Bowl. I adore Blood Bowl.

So that's mostly where I will be lurking is in that area of the forum.

acassatt9

Postby acassatt9 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:43 pm UTC

Hi, my name is Antony.

I like studying, skiing, and climbing.

I like condensed matter physics.

Nice to meet you.

bouer

Postby bouer » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

Hi
I've been lurking on this forum for awhile.
I enjoy the comic, I like puzzles, maths, science and stuff.
Bouer is also my minecraft name.

X-men wolf

Re:

Postby X-men wolf » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:57 am UTC

scrt_rbt_agnt wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:I'm a real doctor. From America. Doling out the harshness.

with hot dickings?

ha ha ha

sketchy

Postby sketchy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:59 am UTC

I seem to have been living under a rock somewhere - I only noticed that xkcd even had forums tonight.

:oops:

Never one to let a chance to procrastinate slip through my fingers - I thought I had better join. :wink:

platypusmarket

Postby platypusmarket » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:15 am UTC

Hello.

I named myself after the term for bull and bear markets. I thought it was clever at the time.I regret it now.

I'm into the great outdoors. Expanding my mindspace. And steam powered robots.

I also enjoy numbers. I don't enjoy the username creation experience though. I found that it took longer than 2 minutes to get here.

Someday. I'd like to launch a site that sells Metallica and Pop albums and donates all profits to sick children, just to see how the RIAA would try and defend shutting it down.

Greyhind

Postby Greyhind » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:21 am UTC

Hello, my name is Greyhind and I don't believe in intro-threads...

That said, Belial's OP looked fairly reasonable so I won't tell you my a/s/l (23/Male/UK) but I will tell you that I keep a high standard for typing. You will not find me saying "u" or "rite" (unless I am referring to actual rites or the letter u) at any juncture. I like stuff - 'specially interesting stuff so I could very well wade in on some of the threads in SB - in fact that is originally why I signed up but the spam filter doesn't like me and I can't be bothered to fight the system at this time of night. I am against smileys.

On a semi-unrelated note I was quite surprised at the thriving community here; xkcd is fairly well known on the net but boards tend not to do so well when flag-shipped by such a limited niche, IMHO.

dii

Postby dii » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:02 am UTC

Hey, I can't believe I've never wandered into this forum... XKCD was the first webcomic I seriously started following (these days, there are about 20 of those and I keep finding more, some of these days I'll have to do something about this unholy mass of browser tabs but I digress...) and somehow I never thought to ask myself "is there a forum for this thing"? Except now.

Well, I'm a 30-year-old male-by-default person from Finland. My main interests include art, music, graphics, drawing, casual programming, software freedom and political activism. I'm currently unemployed and a student, trying to apply to a school to study graphic design, and I have a weird infatuation with the letter D, all my online handles begin with the letter D for some reason. One of these days I'm going to legally change my name to Dave, maybe.

Ok so that concludes that I think.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

A completely valid reason to change your name. Welcome to the forum!

dii

Postby dii » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

Monika wrote:A completely valid reason to change your name. Welcome to the forum!

Hehe, ok, the Dave thing was a joke... I'm sorry, I have a weird sense of humour some times. And I never know what to write in these intro posts so I start rambling about weird stuff. But thanks for the welcome!

Negrebskoh

Postby Negrebskoh » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:56 pm UTC

Hello, hello, hello! </count Olaf impersonation>

So, hi, I'm new to the xkcd forums. :D To be perfectly honest, I was at first looking for some sort of programming community where I could hang out and waste time, but - having lurked here for a while - I decided this was perfect. There's a lot of tech talk, serious discussion and nice people here, so I hope I'll fit in.

Hope you'll have me. :D

amylizzle

Postby amylizzle » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Amy. I'm 21 and female. I like long walks to the internet and science.

Just been lurking around the forum for a few weeks, figured I'd sign up.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:03 am UTC

amylizzle wrote:I like long walks to the internet and science.

Cool :D
Welcome to these here fora!

dogma72

Postby dogma72 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:43 am UTC

Hello,

Im Jack, Im from kansas and Im a professional web surfer. I actually found this place about a week ago but hadn't signed up till today. Nice to be here. Really never know what to say in these things. Oh yeah, Im a Leo and I despise long walks.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

dogma72 wrote:Oh yeah, Im a Leo and I despise long walks.

Better safe than sorry http://xkcd.com/120/ .

Enjoy this sand-free forum.

sseton

Postby sseton » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:42 am UTC

Hi, my name is Clarissa. I'm 26 years old, and work as an administrative assistant.

I like knitting, baking, webcomics, and pinching supplies from the office. My work-related superpower is being able to translate garbled technical pidgin into something that resembles English. When people use the word (that isn't a real word) "equipments"... HULK SMASH!

Nice to meet you.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:22 am UTC

As a developer / consultant I appreciate people who can translate between "tech" and "human language".

Enjoy the forum. Please do not steal any letters or buttons.

Tide

Postby Tide » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

Hi, my name is Lisa, and I'm a little 15 year old girl from just outside Stockholm, Sweden. I've been reading this forum for almost a year now, I think, and finally decided to get an account instead of just spending time figuring out replies in my head and getting annoyed when I can't write them. I love lots of things, among them learning new things (especially about how people live in other countries), sailing, reading, writing, music and math.
As swedish is my native language and I haven't had the time to be around the world a lot (now that I think about it I have neither been to an English speaking country, nor talked to someone with English as his/her native language) there will probably be some errors when I write, I hope you can put up with it, and if there's something I keep doing wrong, please tell me so I get aware of it and can learn the correct way - one of the reasons I like this forum is as a way to learn more English :)

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:49 am UTC

Hi Tide :) .

*waves from Germany* Here we live in caves, hunt our hamburgers with spears and communicate with grunt sounds :D ;) .

Your English is flawless.

Enjoy the forum :) .

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

Tide wrote: one of the reasons I like this forum is as a way to learn more English :)

It's pretty much the worst forum for that. People tend to not point out spelling and grammar mistakes.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:
Tide wrote: one of the reasons I like this forum is as a way to learn more English :)

It's pretty much the worst forum for that. People tend to not point out spelling and grammar mistakes.

Which forum have you been reading?

Use the wrong your/you're or its/it's and see how long it takes for people to start jumping down you're throat.

I am wincing just leaving that there. Or should I say, their.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

I read FaiD, General (including LSR) and High Culture, and have not seen an single instance of that
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Tide

Postby Tide » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:49 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:

I'd rather say it's the best, what I want is not people making remarks on every single word I write, but to have conversations and read how people who are better than I am write. And I'm sure people would point it out if I constantly used some word in the wrong way. Or, as has already been said, kept making those grammar mistakes that make some people scream out loud and write angrily in capslock.
And thank you Monika, I've seen you around here pretty much while reading, and it feels nice to be welcomed :)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:I read FaiD, General (including LSR) and High Culture, and have not seen an single instance of that

Huh, I've definitely seen it in FaiD.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

Yeah, having conversations is *much* better for finding out how to speak a certain language than having mistakes correced.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Negrebskoh

Postby Negrebskoh » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:Yeah, having conversations is *much* better for finding out how to speak a certain language than having mistakes correced.

*wince*

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

In my defenze, that was on purpose.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

Why are the balloons prohibited and where?

Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG

Postby Noc » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:39 pm UTC

Negrebskoh wrote:
Kewangji wrote:...correced.
*wince*
Pffft, that's a totally valid portmanteau of "corrected" and "coerced."

(Actually I'd probably go with "correrced" but close enough.)
Have you given up?

Ciber

Postby Ciber » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:57 pm UTC

I finally decided to join up after years of lurking because this was the first forum that I could think of which could help me with my problem.
Which sub-forum would be appropriate for questions regarding circuits. Namely, how to create fluidic analogs to various simple op-amp circuits.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

Ciber wrote:I finally decided to join up after years of lurking because this was the first forum that I could think of which could help me with my problem.
Which sub-forum would be appropriate for questions regarding circuits. Namely, how to create fluidic analogs to various simple op-amp circuits.

Waves. Recommends Science.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

rieschen

Postby rieschen » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:38 pm UTC

As visible by post count, I'm awkward about introduction threads. ._.

I'm rieschen, I'm from Germany with Chinese roots. I work as a business programmer, and am constantly in awe of all the things I don't know about computers and programming, which is probably bad. In my spare time I like reading entertaining things, baking and making things with my hands.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

Hi rieschen! *waves*

TortoiseWrath

Postby TortoiseWrath » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:07 am UTC

I'm TortoiseWrath, as you may have guessed from my username.

I live here now.

akijam

Hi Admin! Stephen Djaja! Indonesia!

Postby akijam » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:56 am UTC

its nice to be part of this community and im surely enjoy being a member here,hope that you guyz allow me to be part of it.

Best Regards.
Stephen Djaja.

Juif Errant

Postby Juif Errant » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

So, um, hi everyone.
My name is Vadik, and I'm from Russia. I'm 17 and I'm studying linguistics at Moscow State University. I've been lurking around this forum for about a year or so, and I wanted to join for quite a while. However, I've always been afraid that I wouldn't be able to think of anything to say and that my English wouldn't be good enough. It seems that now I've finally overcome my fear, so here I am. I hope to become a useful member of the community one day!

(And now I'm afraid that there are way too many I's in this post)

As for what I'm interested in... Well, the closest thing I have to hobby is probably "learning completely random facts for no reason whatsoever". But I also like reading. And walking around cities. Oh, and chocolate. And, of course, xkcd.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:03 am UTC

TortoiseWrath wrote:I'm TortoiseWrath, as you may have guessed from my username.

I live here now.

Hello. Are you an angry tortoise or are you angry at tortoises?

akijam wrote:its nice to be part of this community and im surely enjoy being a member here,hope that you guyz allow me to be part of it.

Best Regards.
Stephen Djaja.

Hello. Please provide some evidence that you are not a bot. Because this post looks quite botty.

Bots are fed to the raptors.

Juif Errant wrote:So, um, hi everyone.
My name is Vadik, and I'm from Russia. I'm 17 and I'm studying linguistics at Moscow State University. I've been lurking around this forum for about a year or so, and I wanted to join for quite a while. However, I've always been afraid that I wouldn't be able to think of anything to say and that my English wouldn't be good enough. It seems that now I've finally overcome my fear, so here I am. I hope to become a useful member of the community one day!

(And now I'm afraid that there are way too many I's in this post)

As for what I'm interested in... Well, the closest thing I have to hobby is probably "learning completely random facts for no reason whatsoever". But I also like reading. And walking around cities. Oh, and chocolate. And, of course, xkcd.

Hi Vadik. A lot of I's are expected in a self-introduction. Enjoy the forum!

ToomanyUIDs

Postby ToomanyUIDs » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:20 pm UTC

Hiya , I created an account a few days ago and forgot what I' had to say. I'm absent minded like that. I also lurk al lot so I probably won't post much. My spelling is terrible and I always forget to prooofread so I always end up editing my most for spelling, not other more devious reasons (normally). I like to think i have a sense of humour

Return to “General”