Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

xanich

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby xanich » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:42 am UTC

Hey Everybody,

My name is Zack. I'm a 16 year old High School Sophomore form Sacramento, CA. I do my best to go by the name xanich on as many places possible.
I'm interested in Programming (Specifically Python and PHP), Algorithms (even though I'm just beginning them), Math (more of the power it has, as I can't do it to save my life), and large-scale-server-setups (like Google).
I'm currently inbetween home-pages, but am working on a new portal for my current blog xanich.net, which will combine everything I do (Twitter, Blog, Photography, Design, and Programming) into one giant site.

I guess I'll shut-up now, but thanks for reading (if you did).

Splodgeinator

Postby Splodgeinator » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:01 pm UTC

Hi xkcd,

I'm Splodgeinator. I've had this account for a little while but never posted anything. I don't know why.

I'm in my last year of compulsory secondary school education and am thinking of doing a physics A-level or something to do with environment art in games. I press ctrl-s at the end of every sentence I type.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

xanich wrote:thanks for reading (if you did).
Nope, I didn't. I carefully made sure I only read the last line of your post.

Nice site, by the way.
Splodgeinator wrote:I press ctrl-s at the end of every sentence I type.
I should do this more often, although maybe not after every sentence. I lose quite a lot of work through failure to save, though.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

pyrate marvin

Postby pyrate marvin » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

Hi!
I heard Its polite to introduce oneself.

Im from Slovenia, which lies in the balkans more broadly Europe. I like to think but I have a hard time focusing on one particular subject (like making whipped cream and not butter :D ). I like electronics and medieval warrior life. Kind of a weird combination but it sure is beneficial to go and sweat a lot defending sword blows after a hard day at college and since I notice a trend of writing what you study in the introduction post. I study electronics and will probably pursue telecomunications or robotics, cant decide yet.
So yeah, thats me.

IAmTheMonty

Postby IAmTheMonty » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:05 am UTC

hay sup guys, IAmTheMonty here from the wilds of Simsbury, CT. I've been a reader of the comic for a few years now, and really enjoy it. Hope to have some fun in the forums, been lurking for a little while, just got the nerve to make an account.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:18 am UTC

IAmTheMonty wrote:hay sup guys, IAmTheMonty here from the wilds of Simsbury, CT. I've been a reader of the comic for a few years now, and really enjoy it. Hope to have some fun in the forums, been lurking for a little while, just got the nerve to make an account.
Welcome buddy! Come stay a while, don't disappear, I like you avatar.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

IAmTheMonty

Postby IAmTheMonty » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:46 pm UTC

Thanks. I think I'm going to like it here.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:32 pm UTC

IAmTheMonty wrote:Thanks. I think I'm going to like it here.

Yes. You will.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG

Postby Noc » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:54 pm UTC

Or else.
Have you given up?

IAmTheMonty

Postby IAmTheMonty » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

Noc wrote:Or else.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

...it's actually even more serious than that. I don't think an amusing animated picture exists that sums up the seriousness of the situation.

Get enjoying your time here. Now.
Spoiler:

arcana07

Postby arcana07 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:26 am UTC

Cheese wrote:I was about to cut your throat out for linking Anglophile with the UK, but after googling I see that it's an accepted usage. Anyway, you have good taste, we have good music here (both in the UK and on the boards).

Well, no sense in limiting myself to just the artists from England -- your native Scotland has quite the list of impressive musical geniuses (genii?) and it's no fair skipping completely over Green Gartside and Steve Strange because they come from that funny little r-trilling place otherwise known as Wales. :) Anyway. I r still here. And yay, I am not the oldest of the newfolk!
Prematurely aged * math fanatic * devoted daughter * sentimentalist
(Obligatory Facebook linkage must be adhered to)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:08 pm UTC

Cheese wrote:...it's actually even more serious than that. I don't think an amusing animated picture exists that sums up the seriousness of the situation.

Get enjoying your time here. Now.

*ahem*

Clearly you haven't discovered the subtle nuances of my avatar.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Electric Prophet

Postby Electric Prophet » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

I'm not a spambot :o I'm just...particularly awful at introductions.

I'm 26, female, CCNA student/N+ student. I use a Mac.

I...don't know what to say :o

novax6

Postby novax6 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:56 am UTC

Hey all,
i'm 24, male, and a student in the bay area, finishing up a degree in 3d modeling/texturing.
Been lurking around here for a while but thought i'd finally post.
Anyways, that is all.

1 Guest

Postby 1 Guest » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:47 pm UTC

Hi there all.

I mainly lurk here while at work.
I haven't posted before but may do now and again so I thought I'd give myself an account.

not a bot

Postby not a bot » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:44 pm UTC

A Bot is a type of conversational agent, a computer program designed to simulate an intelligent conversation with one or more human users via auditory or textual methods. Seeing as I am a bipedal primate from the family Hominidae I do not fall into that category.

I wish for us to to communicate our awareness of each other's presence, to show attention to, and to suggest a type of relationship or social status between individuals or groups of people coming in contact with each other on this forum and therefore directed my first post here.
bot = 0

xaeon

Postby xaeon » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:20 pm UTC

not a bot wrote:A Bot is a type of conversational agent, a computer program designed to simulate an intelligent conversation with one or more human users via auditory or textual methods. Seeing as I am a bipedal primate from the family Hominidae I do not fall into that category.

I wish for us to to communicate our awareness of each other's presence, to show attention to, and to suggest a type of relationship or social status between individuals or groups of people coming in contact with each other on this forum and therefore directed my first post here.

A human pretending to be a bot pretending to be a human...

I like it!
SIG 404 - Signature not found

Phill

Postby Phill » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:53 pm UTC

Hi. Long time reader of XKCD, occasional lurker on these forums, decided to join today on a whim. Cause I'm crazy like that.

My name is Phill. The observant among you will, erm, observe that this is the same as my username here. I like to keep things simple.

I am a "professional" programmer, which means that I write code in exchange for money. That has no bearing on the quality of my code. I primarily write software in Java (it's all web-based stuff) but have also been known to use Python, JavaScript (no, really), PHP and *shudder* Perl. Been doing it for about four years now, before which I studied computer science at uni.

I live in England, which means that (along with many of my compatriots) I suffer from a crippling lack of self-confidence and little to nothing in the way of social skills (c.f.: "Watching the English" by Kate Fox. So true.)

Loves: Futurama, Linux (and open-source software), Star Wars, Christianity (but please don't hold that against me), playing guitar / piano, listening to music (classical, rock, pop, trance, drum & bass, anything really), reading, Douglas Adams, Scott Adams, Calvin & Hobbes and XKCD. And probably quite a few other things too.
Hates: Making lists about things I hate.

So, erm, there you go :)

Phill

Revek

Postby Revek » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

Hello, Forum.

I'm currently screwing around on company time so I'll have to make this short lest I am discovered. I've been reading xkcd for the better part of a year. Found it mostly by accident. It was linked on another site I was visiting. Read through the entire archive after sampling some of the more recent ones. Love the strange sense of humor. Decided to check out the forum last week. Liked what I saw, particularly in some of the Serious Business threads. Thought I'd make an account in case I had something to say on a given topic. Haven't been a member of a forum in kind of a while. Not much time for it these days.

Parents were Italians from northern New Jersey who moved to a very rural section of Tennessee. Was born here but retained a Jersey accent for some reason (though it has lessened over time). This coupled with an unusual surname and the fact that I consistently ruined the grading curve in school led to the majority of locals shunning me during my early years. Not that I'm bitter or anything... :evil:

Currently, I've traded a substantial chunk of my 20s to corporate masters in exchange for far less money than I believe it was actually worth. My days are filled with spreadsheets and procedural nonsense. My nights are filled with hedonistic pleasures and illicit substances.

Recently married my longtime girlfriend. We finished Halo 3 co-op on Legendary during the honeymoon.

I enjoy music, movies, gaming, politics and video clips of things exploding in slow-motion.
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds - Bob Marley

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:49 pm UTC

Revek wrote:I enjoy music, movies, gaming, politics and video clips of things exploding in slow-motion.
...as visible by your avatar... ;p
xaeon wrote:A human pretending to be a bot pretending to be a human...

I like it!
How do you know there aren't a couple more layers of pretence in there? It could be a human pretending to be a bot pretending to be a chicken pretending to be an old sock pretending to be an adverb pretending to be a human, couldn't it?
Spoiler:

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:21 pm UTC

Code: Select all

2  #include <stdio.h>
   4  main()
   5  {
   6    for(;;)
   7        {
   8            printf ("Hello World!\n");
   9        }
  10  }

Just kidding, I'm useless at code.

So, I'm from Australia, I'm 20 and my name is Mike, but I don't use it online. I'm into video games(PC and xBox360), particularly strategy and shooters. If you ask me, Age of Empires 2: The Conquerors is quite possibly the best game ever. Or maybe Unreal Tournament 99. Or... well, this could go on for a while.

I browse various websites, and read online comics and occasionally fanfic. I like to read books too, especially Discworld, Battletech/Mechwarrior, and Star Wars Extended Universe(original trilogy or after). I tend to be a grammar/spelling nazi, despite how atrocious my own is. I'm right handed, elephants come in pink, grass is blue, does anyone even read this far into posts?

Anyways, you might be stuck with me for a while.
Cheers!
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:26 pm UTC

I read it!

Welcome to the fora.
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:44 pm UTC

Hello World Lunatic!

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:59 pm UTC

LuNatic wrote:

Code: Select all

2  #include <stdio.h>
   4  main()
   5  {
   6    for(;;)
   7        {
   8            printf ("Hello World!\n");
   9        }
  10  }

Just kidding, I'm useless at code.

So, I'm from Australia, I'm 20 and my name is Mike, but I don't use it online. I'm into video games(PC and xBox360), particularly strategy and shooters. If you ask me, Age of Empires 2: The Conquerors is quite possibly the best game ever. Or maybe Unreal Tournament 99. Or... well, this could go on for a while.

I browse various websites, and read online comics and occasionally fanfic. I like to read books too, especially Discworld, Battletech/Mechwarrior, and Star Wars Extended Universe(original trilogy or after). I tend to be a grammar/spelling nazi, despite how atrocious my own is. I'm right handed, elephants come in pink, grass is blue
tl;dr. I've removed the bits I didn't bother to read.

...I should find a new joke to make in the intro thread, shouldn't I?
Spoiler:

cmd

Postby cmd » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

Hello.

I too, have heard it's polite to make an introduction.

After lurking for a while, I have aspired to create my own account!

So...

Howdy!

Maltese Gauze

Postby Maltese Gauze » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:02 am UTC

I'm male, I live somewhere in the Midwest, and I have a few weeks left as a minor. My name is a reference to Shaw's Caesar and Cleopatra (great play); as that might suggest, I do a lot of theatre (for now -- I'm not any good and I'll probably drop it sooner or later). My current project is to learn more math, for many reasons, including increased understanding of math jokes the next time I read through the xkcd archives. Projects that I really want to undertake but don't have the time or work ethic for include learning foreign and/or dead languages and learning to play an instrument. I also enjoy posing as an intellectual and blagging.

Supershadow18

Postby Supershadow18 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:42 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Shadow, but you can call me 'Awesome'. I kid, I kid. My name's not Shadow, just Awesome.

And to sound cliche, I'm a long time reader, first time poster. I like long walks along the beach, candlelit dinners, churros, and arguing. That's right, arguing! I'm an assistant debate coach, and enjoy every moment of it. Other than that, I'm just your old fashioned nerd, I've been playing games since I could hold a controller, and never stopped. I've been meaning to start posting here for awhile, but haven't until just now. I figured now is as good a time as any!
This is the place where I put something witty and funny.
Did I do it right?

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:56 pm UTC

Supershadow18 wrote:I like long walks along the beach

Only three hours in, and you wanted to go home.
BRING A TENT.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Supershadow18

Postby Supershadow18 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:05 pm UTC

I don't mess around, I'm talking tent and about a weeks worth of supplies. I'd give even Randall a run for his money!
This is the place where I put something witty and funny.
Did I do it right?

Benfrenchman

Postby Benfrenchman » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:06 pm UTC

JonathanWild wrote:Blah blah blah

I only quoted you to get your attention!

PostRejects is the funniest thing I've read in ages. Thanks for making me laugh A LOT!

Spoiler:

Was my favourite.

Abculatter_2

Postby Abculatter_2 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:41 pm UTC

Greetings and good tithing, from La Florida!

Looking upon the webcomic, I thought to myself, "Well, this person seems an intelligent individual, perhaps this intelligence graces his forums as well?" After a good bit of laughing, I decided to see what these forums were like. Currently, I have been wasting space in this universe for 15 years, I am a high school junior, and I enjoy making intelligent and/or witty exchanges between peoples of the internet, however daft I may be.

Deals

Postby Deals » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:55 pm UTC

Hello. I've always liked this webcomic, so I checked out the forums to see if it would be a cool place to hang out. So I registered.

A little about me:

18, male,in college. I live in northern Louisiana. I really like video games, especially older ones. This also goes for my taste in my music, and my academic pursuits (I love me some history). I have a twisted sense of humor, and enjoy talking to other people with equally twisted (warped and sick, optional) senses of humor.

Larrytheartist

Postby Larrytheartist » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:40 am UTC

Hi I'm Larry!

I'm 15 and I hope that one day I can be a professional comic creator. I have a website that I'm about to completely redesign as a "fake-autobio" webcomic which can be found in the art board after I make 5 posts. xkcd has some of the best writing in comics today, and well frankly it's cool to talk to people who like things like that.

dbh2ppa

Postby dbh2ppa » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:33 am UTC

Hey! This might, or might not, be my first post... My memory seems to be made from PTFE sometimes... In case it is, and I haven't introduced myself yet... hey! My name's Miguel, 19, from Costa Rica... I used to study maths, but now I'm studying industrial design, and prolly will be going back to maths next year, who knows? :S
As you may see, I have no avatar yet, I never know what kind of image to use...
and... I use ellipsis-es a lot, usually where they don't belong, it's compulsive and I can't help it...
My english sucks, so half the stuff I write will be impossible to understand... get used to it.
so... yeah... hi
-----
please ignore the errors in the above post. i'm not currently fluent in english, mainly because it's not my mother tongue, but also because i'm sleepy... always.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:48 am UTC

It was your first post, there's a post count underneath your name. Nice to see you, your English should improve here :)
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:08 am UTC

That said, your English is still much better than a lot of the people here who have spoken it their entire lives, so you have a good starting point.

Kyo

Postby Kyo » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:07 pm UTC

Hey guys, I'm kyo. I've been signed up for quite a while but I just started posting today.

I also do my own webcomic and I like reading XKCD regularly. Oh, and I'm german.

jlamothe

Postby jlamothe » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:17 am UTC

I'm new here, and despite having posted in a few places, I haven't posted here yet. ^^;

Although, having been at an actual meat-space meetup, I'd say it's pretty safe to assume I'm not a spambot. (Either that or a *really* good one.) :P

Anyway, my name's Jon. I live in Southern Ontario, Canada (in the Kitchener-Waterloo area). I work for a small electronics company. I also program computers as a hobby.

dbh2ppa

Postby dbh2ppa » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:43 am UTC

Angua wrote:It was your first post, there's a post count underneath your name. Nice to see you, your English should improve here :)

Oh, would you look at that? Heh, must pay closer attention next time :P
-----
please ignore the errors in the above post. i'm not currently fluent in english, mainly because it's not my mother tongue, but also because i'm sleepy... always.

Return to “General”