Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dizturbd

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby dizturbd » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:41 am UTC

Greetings. I'm Ryan, and have read Xkcd for a while now, so thought I'd join the forums.

I guess you want to know a bit more about me, so I'm 19, and study Games Development in the good ol' UK. As you may be able to tell from the subject choice, I love video games, mostly RPG's.

No idea what else to say, so I'll just finish my first post here.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:46 am UTC

Sea Ferring: First off, you posted Weezer twice.

Secondly, you like The Grateful Dead (my favourite band) and Donovan, so you can't be all that bad.

That is all.

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:11 pm UTC

You also like curling, so that is several more marks in your favor.
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:15 pm UTC

Saying someone likes curling is like saying someone likes air... Who doesn't.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:35 pm UTC

Gojoe wrote:Saying someone likes curling is like saying someone likes air... Who doesn't.

Curling's pretty boring.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:02 pm UTC

Jessica, you disappoint me. I might have to go so far as to tell you that I'm annoyed by your apparent dislike of curling.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

She

Postby She » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:07 pm UTC

I guess I'll just have to do what's right and follow my heart: I'm on Jessica's side in this. Curling is boring.
Well, the idea is ok, but it's so slow! Speedcurling would be a completely different matter, of course. One stone every 10 second, that would be interesting!
She speaks in the third person
So she can forget that she's me

Jope

Postby Jope » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:27 am UTC

Hey. I'm Joe.

I'm a 16-year-old high-school student from Northern California. For the past few weeks I've been reading lurking these forums fora pretty regularly, and rarely posting.

Thought I'd say hello before I get banned again.

Isaleen Grey

Postby Isaleen Grey » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:30 am UTC

Hi,
I just joined the forums a few weeks ago cause I figured that I waste enough of my life on the nets already that one more thing wasn't gonna make a difference. plus I've been reading the comic for a couple of years and it is superbly awesome.
soo, about me...I'm in the habit of constantly making up new pseudonyms...that there >>> is my latest, not my real name...cause, yanno, my mummy taught me to be paranoid like a good little internet-denizen. I like reading, writing rather depressing short fiction, and science in general. I'm 20 (gods I'm old) in college, and a world-class procrastinator. I'm a recovering insomniac...I enjoy looking at the world from new and strange angles...I really try not to prejudge anything/one, but sometimes I fail at that. I love the idea of infinity. I may or may not be mildly evil. annnd that's all I can think of. Hello all!
Infinity is part of me

Cats and oysters and I have a lot in common, unfortunately for all involved.

I'm too scared to pursue happiness directly, so I just meander towards it while pretending I'm doing something else.

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:40 am UTC

welcome one and welcome all!

okay, I just wanted to say that, I really don't have anything to add.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

neeny

Postby neeny » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:02 am UTC

Hey! I'm Nina, I'm 18 and I come from the brownest town in New Zealand. Or the Tron as it is affectionately known.

I'm a librarian, I love Joy Division & My Morning Jacket. I.. er... really enjoy a good pair of slacks?
I do crafts and sing songs and get paid for it! Which rules.

and yeah!

^.*

Postby ^.* » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:03 pm UTC

Since the probability that i will post regulary in this forum is small (normally i only read threads without answering) my Introduction:
A:21/s=male/l:germany. I just began to stud Informatik -Ingeneruwesen i think the english name is computational engineering or something like this.
Main interests: Books(mainly fantasy and scifi but mor fantasy),animes, pcs. Oh and my favortie band is subway to sally.
So that are all informations I`m willing to give in an Introduction thread
Just some random quote till I find an better signature.
Hawknc wrote:This is the easiest question ever asked on the forum, and you guys turn it into a two-page debate.
(i think this describes this forum pretty well.)

Mackswellington

Postby Mackswellington » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:05 am UTC

17/male/United States

I'm an existentialist and I love to learn but I hate school. I dabble in art and I enjoy listening to music. Also I'm a closeted bisexual.

BallsOfFire

Postby BallsOfFire » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:37 am UTC

Hello, I am from the state full of retired old people. Woo! Anyway, I am a 20-something year old geek. I am still a kid at heart. I hope I remember about this forum and get to know you all better.

-BOF

Osha

Postby Osha » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:15 am UTC

Umm hello,
My real name is Colin but I'll probably get it changed in a year or two (maybe to Zoe) so you can call me Osha for now.
I read webcomics like I eat candy because print comics are too expensive until I get a cushy CompSci job.
That's if I ever graduate... I really need to start scheduling my classes better.
I live in Boise Idaho, which is a pretty nice place except that it's surrounded by the rest of Idaho (no offence Idaho but y'all are wayyy too homophobic) .
I ride my bicycle all the time! Woo! Eco-Friendly!
I love Dance Dance Revolution and Reverse Polish Notation (HP-50g baby! Woo!)

Hope that wasn't too boring!

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:28 am UTC

BallsOfFire wrote:Hello, I am from the state full of retired old people.

Bavaria?

Osha wrote:My real name is Colin but I'll probably get it changed in a year or two (maybe to Zoe) so you can call me Osha for now.

Are you getting a sex change?

Not at all.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Osha

Postby Osha » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:10 pm UTC

Monika wrote:
Osha wrote:My real name is Colin but I'll probably get it changed in a year or two (maybe to Zoe) so you can call me Osha for now.

Are you getting a sex change?

Not at all.

That's right! It's actually very stressful.

Jos

Postby Jos » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:17 pm UTC

Hello! I'm Jos
18/M/Swe
I found out about 4chan at an age of 12, and I've been clean for about 3 years....
And as to the debate, curling is a real sport, but inly in canada!
philsov wrote:Internets is a gift to Jos.

littlebuddy wrote:hmm... I wonder if I should call rule 34 on that hammer moderator, she probably has nice legs.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

Jos wrote:And as to the debate, curling is a real sport
IFLP. Thank you for the support.
, but inly in canada!
...Okay, I don't like you anymore ;p
Scotland, perhaps? We have a pretty good curling team.
Spoiler:

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

She wrote:Second: I demand an epic ninja battle between Snowfrost and SoapyHobo, winner takes the rights to that avatar!
Someone used this avatar again? I've already beaten GoJoe for it once. It just gets confusing if someone else takes it, as Cheese and GoJoe have shown between themselves.

Welcome to the fora Snowfrost, and all you other newcomers! Remeber, postcount isn't everything.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

BobbyJ

Postby BobbyJ » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:28 pm UTC

Hi!

My name is Bobby, and I've been reading the comic and lurking these fora for a long time now, and thought I might as well finally go ahead and register.

I'm 21, and live in Richmond, VA. As a curious note, I went to / graduated from the exact same high school as Randall, assuming the biography on his Wikipedia page is accurate... I was probably either 2 or 3 years behind him.

Anyhow, more about me. I'm about to graduate (in like a week) with a BS in Computer Science as well as a BS in Mathematics (double concentration in pure and applied math). For now I'm intending to get some kind of software development job somewhere, but I'd eventually like start working on a Ph.D in Math, preferably at UC Berkeley, perhaps in two years or so. I've always loved math, and it's always been my strongest academic drive by far.

Apart from academic stuff, I really like interacting with people and sharing ideas, etc. Every time I've ever taken the Meyers-Briggs personality type indicator test thingy, I've come out an INTJ, and I think there was a thread somewhere around here asking what people's MB type were, with an overwhelming number being INTJ's (given that we're supposed to make up approximately 1% of the population). So perhaps that's why I've always found this forum so approachable (while lurking, that is), because so many people here generally tend to think like I do. So... that's fun. :D

I used to be painfully shy, though I have overcome most of that through my college experience. I tend to be extremely sarcastic, and lots of people tell me I can be very funny. I essentially never tell jokes though, hence my humor comes out through my sarcastic comments, etc.

Anyhow, that's enough for now I think. Feel free to ask anything you like about me. :)

Sulix

Postby Sulix » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:15 am UTC

Code: Select all

SYN

Sulix is my online name of choice -- and I've finally decided to end my years of lurking. (Why doesn't PHPBB have a [party] tag?)

I lean towards the male end of the spectrum, enjoy eating cheese and (when away from portal fanatics who believe that it's dishonest) cheesecake.

I am most definately not a raptor. However, I don't respond kindly to requests to see my hat.

Like Bobby above me -- INTJ and shy.

I have just finished high school (in Australia, where everything is strange) and, therefore, have some time on my hands to waste (until I'm coerced into finding a job).

Anyway, I'm at a loss of anything else sensible to say, so I won't say anything more.

<End Transmission>

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:19 am UTC

Sulix wrote:<End Transmission>
You can't end the transmission before anyone gets a chance to respond! It's just not fair.
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

lavamouse

Postby lavamouse » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:12 am UTC

Hello there. My name for this comes from mis-saying "Marvelous" as "Marvel-louse" -> larval mouse -> lavamouse... in case anyone was wondering.

Finally joined today after reading the comic for a very long time. I am a geeky (in relation to the rest of my gender: I like sci-fi and computer games) girl, and a psychology student who should be doing other things.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:48 am UTC

lavamouse wrote:Hello there. My name for this comes from mis-saying "Marvelous" as "Marvel-louse" -> larval mouse -> lavamouse... in case anyone was wondering.

this is how i think, i like you, so far...
ImageImageImageImageImage

_plethora_

Postby _plethora_ » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:12 am UTC

I'm Saz. I've been a lurker for a while. I will probably continue to lurk and post infrequently, even though I am now registered, because that's just how I roll.

I'm a girl who has just finished highschool and isn't that just awesome?
Noone wants to read a long list of the books and TV shows and movies that I'm into, so I'll just let that stuff come up randomly if the conversation ever calls for it.
Suffice it to say:
- I love scifi and fantasy
- I am passionate and obssessive and by extension argumentative
- My life is really all about music. Everything can be related to music, there is music for any situation and it is always on my mind. I have a very wide range of tastes, and I like to use music to mess with narrow-minded people :D
- Sometimes I quote things without realising it.
- I'm a bibliophile, logophile and grammar lover. I therefore often display irrational pedantry. I don't mean to offend.
- The end.

Captain Inobvious

Postby Captain Inobvious » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:59 pm UTC

_plethora_ wrote: ...and I like to use music to mess with narrow-minded people :D

That's great. I do the same thing all the time.

Oh yeah. I guess I never posted here. I'm Jake. That's pretty much it. I enjoy making fun of my Career Readiness teacher, considering I could teach the class better than she can. And I'm only 15 =S
If you go out in the woods today, you'd better go in disguise.....

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:09 pm UTC

Sulix wrote:I lean towards the male end of the spectrum, enjoy eating cheese and (when away from portal fanatics who believe that it's dishonest) cheesecake.
...just make sure you continue to watch your capitalisation. If your teeth come anywhere near me, they're gone.
Spoiler:

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:41 pm UTC

Ah, registered a bit back, noticed the thread today.

I'm Ben, 23, BS in Physics, working as a Systems Engineer. Yeah, the comic speaks to me. :D

I'm cheerfully libertarian, contrarian, a fundamentalist Bible-thumper, a shame-faced writer (it makes me a lovely snowflake like everyone else), and the very proud owner of a kickin' kilt.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:56 pm UTC

Welcome to the fora.

There are relatively few bible-thumpers here, but those that are here are treated well in my experience.

If your words change from when you write your post to when you read it, congratulations, you've found a word filter!

Celebrate this, and then move on and don't reveal to anybody what you originally wrote... e.g. lol

Well, that's all I can think of right now. Enjoy your stay.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Black.Rose.Immortal

Postby Black.Rose.Immortal » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:14 am UTC

I'm Shamamanen (not my real name, but i am most commonly known by it [derivative of Shannen]). This isn't my first post... oops. *Shifty eyes*

- Female
- Teenager
- Aus.
- I like art, languages and history

*Must* love webcomics. :wink:
17/F/Australian/weird

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:29 am UTC

Black.Rose.Immortal wrote:I'm Shamamanen (not my real name, but i am most commonly known by it [derivative of Shannen]). This isn't my first post... oops. *Shifty eyes*

- Female
- Teenager
- Aus.
- I like art, languages and history

*Must* love webcomics. :wink:
Come to the Sydney meet!
Many people havent posted here first, so dont worry about it. No one has suffered harm. Yet.

Also, hello all.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

frogpunch

Postby frogpunch » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

Howdy. I'm new, 22, male, Irish-born and currently living in Germany. I like long walks on the beach and romantic dinners, I'm borderline obsessive-compulsive and linguistics makes me happier than it probably should.

About 10 years on the internet has made my brain function in very odd ways. For one, I'm incapable of producing mental images any more. They just don't happen. I welcome anyone who's up for shocking my brain back into working order. I also tend to have old man syndrome and wave my cane around, grumbling about the days when we were lucky to have working dialup.

I work with video games, which has always been my life goal. I think there should be a support group for people who reach their life goals before the age of 25.

I still don't quite get the aim of curling, but I'm willing to accept there is one somewhere.

joshz

Postby joshz » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

frogpunch wrote:I like long walks on the beach.
Really? Do you really?
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

Captain Inobvious

Postby Captain Inobvious » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

I can't understand why people are so disengenuous! I just want someone to walk with.

If I was near a beach, I'd definitely start walking 10 miles a day, just because of the comic.
If you go out in the woods today, you'd better go in disguise.....

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:58 pm UTC

Isaleen Grey wrote:Hi,
I just joined the forums a few weeks ago cause I figured that I waste enough of my life on the nets already that one more thing wasn't gonna make a difference. plus I've been reading the comic for a couple of years and it is superbly awesome.
soo, about me...I'm in the habit of constantly making up new pseudonyms...that there >>> is my latest, not my real name...cause, yanno, my mummy taught me to be paranoid like a good little internet-denizen. I like reading, writing rather depressing short fiction, and science in general. I'm 20 (gods I'm old) in college, and a world-class procrastinator. I'm a recovering insomniac...I enjoy looking at the world from new and strange angles...I really try not to prejudge anything/one, but sometimes I fail at that. I love the idea of infinity. I may or may not be mildly evil. annnd that's all I can think of. Hello all!

Welcome! I enjoy reading greatly and science is pretty awesome (so is writing). A place you may look to browse is the Women's Thread (the ladies there are pretty friendly), Random/Fleeting Thoughts Thread and um..I'm sure you know your way around forums. Just some places of suggestion (and there are fun game threads too :) ) I find your avatar really pretty btw.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

Affableprechaun

Postby Affableprechaun » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:04 am UTC

Hi! Ok, time to do the normal "forum intro" thing. My name is Matt. I've been reading XKCD for years. Almost never went past the front page though, weirdly. I've lurking the forum for about 6 months now. Held off registering because of how much time I already spend on other forums where I am staff/moderator/admin, or just that I enjoy. But then I realized I was spending too much time here anyways, and I might as well actually... you know, contribute. So I was on the fence. And then a friend of mine turned out to be a certain someone who was posting here. So that pushed me into it. So here I am.

Awesome intro, I know. Yeah. :|

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:22 am UTC

frogpunch wrote:Howdy. I'm new, 22, male, Irish-born and currently living in Germany.

Hi :D How's your German?

linguistics makes me happier than it probably should.

That's not possible. Linguistics should make everybody happy. Those 98% of the population who are not made happy by linguistics are just weird.

___

Affableprechaun wrote:Hi! Ok, time to do the normal "forum intro" thing. My name is Matt. I've been reading XKCD for years. Almost never went past the front page though, weirdly. I've lurking the forum for about 6 months now. Held off registering because of how much time I already spend on other forums where I am staff/moderator/admin, or just that I enjoy. But then I realized I was spending too much time here anyways, and I might as well actually... you know, contribute. So I was on the fence. And then a friend of mine turned out to be a certain someone who was posting here. So that pushed me into it. So here I am.

Awesome intro, I know. Yeah. :|

Don't worry, it's as good as any. I like your nick.
Last edited by Monika on Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Sonja

Postby Sonja » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

Seems like I've found the intro thread.
I'm not big for these things, but I'll introduce myself anyways.

I'm 20 (soon to be 21, yay), and from SK Canada.
I've been lurking a while, and finally decided to sign up.

I am a very imaginative person, and spend a lot of time daydreaming. When I'm not daydreaming, I'm doodling, doing something crafty, or playing games.

I collect Asian Ball Jointed Dolls, along with assorted figurines (Pinky:St and other things, several dragons) and have lots of plush animals. My taste in games is mostly RPGs (strategy and otherwise), Rhythm-Action (OUENDAAAAN!), platformers and puzzle games. I also love Katamari, and wish they'd make a Katamari game with decent internet play, instead of the crap that came with Beautiful Katamari.

I'm also a bit of a bookworm, but thanks to college (I'm in a program called Computer Systems Technology that devours your life), I haven't had much time to read.

Affableprechaun

Postby Affableprechaun » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:08 pm UTC

Monika wrote:Don't worry, it's as good as any. I like your nick.

Thank you. :)

But I know, it is exactly as good as any, which is why I was mellow. See, I can do a boring good as any introduction in no time at all. But I used to spend hours crafting interesting and wonderfully evocative forum introductions filled with humor and wit. Way above my normal level, but I could muster what brainpower I had into one excellent post. And then one day I realized the only people who read intro threads are the really nice people anyways who like you just for existing, and so my masterpiece is wasted on them, and the others would love it never read it because they don't read intro threads.

Return to “General”