Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

LeagueOfMorons

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby LeagueOfMorons » Tue May 11, 2010 1:16 am UTC

Haha, thanks, Dasboard. I was clearly in a Burn After Reading mood when I registered yesterday. (God, just reading that makes me feel like such a noob.)

And thanks for the welcome, both of you! :D
"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin And Hobbes

I write about music and stuff. You know, just for fun. You can read what I write here: http://relativepitchmusic.blogspot.com

MatteX

Postby MatteX » Tue May 11, 2010 3:13 am UTC

Hi all,

Although I think it's pathetic to post on a 215th page of a xth introductory thread and... whatever, let be pathetic.

I've used to go around some french forum about programming or general interests like beer on a cabinet

I'm a french person from Quebec (Province of Canada). I'm not bilingual at all, but I think I can easily read and write english. I've read and understood every strips of the website ;)

I'm, also, a programmer, like a lot of you I suppose. I'm completing a Baccalauréat in software engineering (first half done :p) at ÉTS, montreal and I'm working for DTI Software, a video game producer.

That's about all my introduction, what could I say more ? Maybe, that I love writting word with accentued characters because my keyboard layout can. ;)

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Tue May 11, 2010 10:29 am UTC

*mental audiovisual image of MatteX speaking English with an obviously French accent* :)
Welcome!
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

BrighTide

Postby BrighTide » Wed May 12, 2010 8:06 am UTC

Hey, i don't usually give the internet my name, you can call me what ever you feel nessisary, although i do have several deogetory phrases on my white board, and i'm not afraid to use them if you decide to make use of that statment in your own particular way.

Ummm, yeah lets see, i've been reading this comic for ages because you know, its awesome, and i decided i would join the forum, cuz i'm assuming its awesome to :wink: I live in australia and i like Programming, reading, trying to be witty, failing at being witty, writing, playing tennis, gaming and reading web comics.

So yeah, i guess thats me in a nut shell, i'm really not that interesting.

CAGE

Postby CAGE » Wed May 12, 2010 12:29 pm UTC

Hi I'm CAGE

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Wed May 12, 2010 2:33 pm UTC

CAGE wrote:Hi I'm CAGE

Hi CAGE! There seems to be a problem in that I always have to shout your name. Any thoughts on this CAGE?
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

GunJack

Postby GunJack » Wed May 12, 2010 4:10 pm UTC

Hi, Gunjack here (please no bot jokes)

I'm a twentyalways years old male, worked in many many many different things, teacher, tourist guide, dishwasher, risk managemente technician, airplane mechanic; currently happily married, waiting for my first son (whose name was selected in the "think before naming your child" forum).

Here because I... truly don't remember how, but I was working on an oil platform and had lots LOTS of free time, and a good internet connection.
XKCD makes me think and that's something that makes me happy, is something that I appreciate in the people I know, and on the things that I do.

Right now stuck in Chile ( can't travel with a pregnant wife) and with a good job so... stuck. And I love to travel a lot. This is a incredibly beautiful country with a funny use of Spanish and lots of different people.

I have a love for words and history, (and KITTIES!!!) tech and science still amazes me so I enjoy them... physics and chemistry is in everything and I'm pretty good at it, math is not my subject never has been, never will be.

Receiving messages is always a good thing for me, hope to read from you.

Bye
Don't protest against my methods, if you want to continue living of my results

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed May 12, 2010 4:37 pm UTC

Cahojama wrote:Hello, my name is Cahojama. Wait, you knew that already? How? All my secrets are in the open!

How did you choose your nick?

I'm a 19-57/73 year young male.

You're WHAT? Make up your mind, are you 19, 57 or 73 years old?

Every other weekend or so I go out a shoot a bunch of random strangers and revel when I get a headshot. Paintball, call off the cops.

You revel when you get shot in the head with paint. Should this be a reason for concern? ;)

Does it get hurt to get hit with the paint balls?

I found Xkcd from someone posting a comic on another fora a few months back.

On another forum. Fora would be the Latin plural.

Thank you for having me.You will, right? PLEASE

Sure sure, come on in, enjoy yourself.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed May 12, 2010 4:39 pm UTC

LeagueOfMorons wrote:Hey everyone! LeagueOfMorons here (better known as Brandon in real life).

How did you choose your nick? Is it related to the LOM / Elohim joke in http://xkcd.com/709/ ?

CAGE

Postby CAGE » Wed May 12, 2010 9:15 pm UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:
CAGE wrote:Hi I'm CAGE

Hi CAGE! There seems to be a problem in that I always have to shout your name. Any thoughts on this CAGE?

Feel free to just say it normally in your head haha. It's supposed to be an acronym -hence the all caps. :P

And hello to you too Fractal :)

Odd_nonposter

Postby Odd_nonposter » Thu May 13, 2010 1:30 am UTC

Hi, I'm Odd_nonposter. I'm odd, and I don't post a lot.

Tautologies aside, I'm a white 17.98 year old male from Ohio. Raised on a typical "big four" Midwestern-US cash crop farm, I'm somewhat of an anomaly in nearly all social situations that I've encountered--a nerdy farmer.

Relatively isolated and psychologically damaged by an older brother, I developed an introvertive personality early in life. As such, I don't talk much, but when I do, I say a lot. Not that I could have friends anyway; nearly all of my scholarly acquaintances are eight miles away. Time and fuel costs are prohibitive, and my Internet is too poor to socialize effectively. Chicks? Pfft. I'm nearly asexual.

In school, I've always gravitated towards the sciences; chemistry and physics in particular, although I haven't had an English teacher that hasn't loved me. Dry wit and a cynical outlook are assets in writing. I wish to pursue a chemical engineering degree at OSU. (Yes, OSU. I'm stingy.)

XKCD appeals to my sense of humor. It had better--I accidentally the entire archive a year ago.
I'm not a computer geek. Although relatively skilled at using a XP machine, code is Greek to me and I only have a basic idea of how hardware works. Still wanna go Linux in the future though. Musta been that backwards-flip onto a motorcycle that did it for me. ;)

I'll blend into the background here. I didn't know that I was loved at Dreamviews until I had an over 500 e-peen count and threatened to fly to Spain.
CorruptUser wrote:Religions are like genitalia. It's OK to have them, but don't whip them out in public, don't argue about whose is better, and keep them away from my kids.

LeagueOfMorons

Postby LeagueOfMorons » Thu May 13, 2010 2:35 am UTC

Monika wrote:
LeagueOfMorons wrote:Hey everyone! LeagueOfMorons here (better known as Brandon in real life).

How did you choose your nick? Is it related to the LOM / Elohim joke in http://xkcd.com/709/ ?

Actually, it's a quote from the movie Burn After Reading, the same film that my avatar is from. It could just as easily have been a quote from a different movie, or a song lyric, or whatever . . . it's just what came to mind that day. Although I do love that particular xkcd. (What can I say? I have a soft spot for Star Wars references.)

GunJack wrote:math is not my subject never has been, never will be.

No worries, man - you're definitely not alone there. I think I fell off the math train right around the time my teachers started throwing letters in with the numbers.
"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin And Hobbes

I write about music and stuff. You know, just for fun. You can read what I write here: http://relativepitchmusic.blogspot.com

smw543

Postby smw543 » Thu May 13, 2010 5:58 am UTC

GunJack wrote:waiting for my first son (whose name was selected in the "think before naming your child" forum).
Ooh, is it Le-a (pronounced Ledasha (because the dash isn't silent))?

Monika wrote:
Cahojama wrote:I'm a 19-57/73 year young male.

57/73=85/365
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu May 13, 2010 9:46 am UTC

smw543 wrote:
GunJack wrote:waiting for my first son (whose name was selected in the "think before naming your child" forum).
Ooh, is it Le-a (pronounced Ledasha (because the dash isn't silent))?

Oh no no no, it's Dante Samael - see here in the first post on the page viewtopic.php?f=25&t=26267&start=1000 and the page before.

Monika wrote:

57/73=85/365

Oh. So that isn't a minus either?

GunJack

Postby GunJack » Thu May 13, 2010 12:33 pm UTC

GunJack wrote:math is not my subject never has been, never will be.

No worries, man - you're definitely not alone there. I think I fell off the math train right around the time my teachers started throwing letters in with the numbers.[/quote]

oddly enough I am currently reading this alone... nothing is breathing but myself in a 10 Kms radio...
Wait, your teachers were L33T??!??!?!??! WTF?!?!??!

PS:It IS a lame joke, but I am really alone and bored... :oops:

Hi Monika!!! I would invite you to the Baptism... but you know... there will not be one..., anyways here in Chile a Baptism is a party with BBQ so...who knows!?! I love a good BBQ!!

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Thu May 13, 2010 1:43 pm UTC

Monika wrote:
Monika wrote:

57/73=85/365

Oh. So that isn't a minus either?

What... 19 - (57/73) = 19 - (285/365) = 18 years, 80 days or ~18 years 3 months. He's saying he's saying he's 18 years and (just under) 3 months old.

GunJack

Postby GunJack » Thu May 13, 2010 1:57 pm UTC

Odd_nonposter wrote:Hi, I'm Odd_nonposter. I'm odd, and I don't post a lot.

Tautologies aside, I'm a white 17.98 year old male from Ohio. Raised on a typical "big four" Midwestern-US cash crop farm, I'm somewhat of an anomaly in nearly all social situations that I've encountered--a nerdy farmer.

Relatively isolated and psychologically damaged by an older brother, I developed an introvertive personality early in life. As such, I don't talk much, but when I do, I say a lot. Not that I could have friends anyway; nearly all of my scholarly acquaintances are eight miles away. Time and fuel costs are prohibitive, and my Internet is too poor to socialize effectively. Chicks? Pfft. I'm nearly asexual.

In school, I've always gravitated towards the sciences; chemistry and physics in particular, although I haven't had an English teacher that hasn't loved me. Dry wit and a cynical outlook are assets in writing. I wish to pursue a chemical engineering degree at OSU. (Yes, OSU. I'm stingy.)

XKCD appeals to my sense of humor. It had better--I accidentally the entire archive a year ago.
I'm not a computer geek. Although relatively skilled at using a XP machine, code is Greek to me and I only have a basic idea of how hardware works. Still wanna go Linux in the future though. Musta been that backwards-flip onto a motorcycle that did it for me. ;)

I'll blend into the background here. I didn't know that I was loved at Dreamviews until I had an over 500 e-peen count and threatened to fly to Spain.

HI ONP!!! quibole!! (here in chile people uses the most strangest deviations of words...I'll never get used to this)

please let the "I haven't had an English teacher that hasn't loved me" part be figuratevely speaking... :?: :!: :!: :?:
I accidentally the entire archive too!! LOL... and I accidentally this meme a few weeks ago here!!

Gorm

Postby Gorm » Fri May 14, 2010 3:21 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Alan, and I...well...I don't know anything much...other than business intelligence reporting (yes, that's a misnomer) and the occasional statistical anomaly that results in Boston based professional sports teams accidentally winning something.

somethingshiny

Postby somethingshiny » Fri May 14, 2010 10:53 pm UTC

I always thought these were silly, but, oh well. Most of life is.

Seventeen, senior, still waiting on college answers (fingers crossed for UoC!), nerdy, but not enough. As in:
my knowledge of weird trivia/computers/arcane movies/math > most of my classmates but
my knowledge of weird trivia/computers/arcane movies/math < the rest of the internets.

Thinking of majoring in particle physics or some form of math, but don't have nearly enough knowledge of either subject. My school's not really big on APs, so I have a cursory "honors knowledge" of these subjects.

But I'm also good at English and artsy subjects, so, whatever. The only thing I'm not good at is taking tests, so...

Things I like:
first-period frees > xkcd > Glee > sliced bread

Also, non-standard math.

And bad math puns. (You know they're the first sine of madness...)

Dason

Postby Dason » Fri May 14, 2010 11:22 pm UTC

somethingshiny wrote:Also, non-standard math.

I'm interested as to what you mean by non-standard math. Would you care to elaborate?

EDIT: And welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy yourself here.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

stardragon

Postby stardragon » Sat May 15, 2010 1:04 am UTC

Hey there, I'm a high-school student from Australia
In year 11 at the moment.
I came across xkcd from another forum.

somethingshiny

Postby somethingshiny » Sun May 16, 2010 3:14 am UTC

Dason wrote:
somethingshiny wrote:Also, non-standard math.

I'm interested as to what you mean by non-standard math. Would you care to elaborate?

EDIT: And welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy yourself here.

I honestly did not realize how vague that statement was. -headdesk-

Anyway, I just meant using mathematical equations to define distinctly non-mathematical things.
For example, [imath]mycalculusteacher = awesome^{superman}[/imath]

handiangel

Postby handiangel » Sun May 16, 2010 7:24 am UTC

Hi,
I'm a university student from the UK, studying pharmacology.
Generally enjoy geeking out.

And my username is a vestige from when I was like 12 and thought it would be a cool name... :oops:

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun May 16, 2010 7:48 am UTC

Hey Handiangel! I *love* your avatar :D Welcome!
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

portentum

Postby portentum » Sun May 16, 2010 10:10 am UTC

I'm a little late posting here, but hello all the same.

I'm Josh, 21, and I'm from Pensacola, FL. I'm pretty terrible at math so I don't feel like I quite fit in around the fora, I restrict myself to the Help Desk mostly. I've made a few stabs at helping out there, which is generally how I am in person, I do what I can to help out but I don't socialize. I guess around here that translates into not venturing into the other areas of the fora.

I'm a crazy Linux fanatic. Minus all the crazy fanatical activity, and pushy "USE IT OR ELSE" nonsense. I keep a Windows 2000 VM around for when I really have to use it, though I can't think of the last time I needed it outside a recent use for testing something I recommended in a Help Desk thread. I mostly use Debian, though I have a soft spot for Gentoo and keep letting it suck me back in until I end up with package blocks all over the place and have it asking me to recompile every package on my system to update/install a single program, at which point I say the hell with it for a while. (This is obviously a slight exaggeration. But just a tiny one.)

I have an A+, which is just as useless to getting so much as a help desk job as I expected it to be. I took a recent stab at learning Python by reading/following A Byte of Python, I enjoyed it and promptly forgot nearly all of it when I couldn't come up with an idea for my first little program to prove to myself I learned something.

I like to read, although I have eye problems that make it unpleasant to read paper books so I've taken to audio books. I recently listened to Naomi Novik's Temeraire series (what has been released of it so far) and greatly enjoyed it. Other (audio) books I've enjoyed recently are .. well, some of Niven's Known Space books. I'm too lazy to list them. :?

I feel like I'm rambling now so I think I'll go back to watching yesterday's Doctor Who...

Tantalous

Postby Tantalous » Mon May 17, 2010 11:16 pm UTC

Whee, Just joined this forum after having lurked for longer than some of the mods have been around it seems, So I'm joining now.
I chose my user name because I always feel the best Idea is just out of reach-either too hi or to low--never where I can grasp it.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Tue May 18, 2010 8:50 am UTC

Hallo Tantalous, awesome to meet you. =]
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

Argency

Postby Argency » Wed May 19, 2010 8:07 am UTC

Edit: original post was full of wank. No more drunk posting for me.

Hi everybody, I'm Argency.
See you on the tubes.
Last edited by Argency on Thu May 20, 2010 2:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Gonna be a blank slate, gonna wear a white cape.

ksb

Postby ksb » Wed May 19, 2010 11:40 am UTC

Hello.

From reading several 'hello' posts from various scientists, mathematicians, scholars, etc, I've been spending a little too much energy trying to make myself sound as intellectually useful to society, but instead...

I'm a big, hairy, tattoo'd, biker from the UK, I have worked as a UNIX (and its many variants) sys admin for the last 14 years mainly because I was crap at everything else ;)

I rarely use forums, but you peeps seem a good natured bunch, and the comics make me laugh, especially that one with the stick people who do stuff!

Cheers
kb

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Wed May 19, 2010 11:45 am UTC

ksb wrote: especially that one with the stick people who do stuff!

Hey that's my favourite one too. :D

Welcome!

sir_tiger

Postby sir_tiger » Wed May 19, 2010 7:55 pm UTC

evening all (or neaerest equivilent for your own time zones :) )

I be michael, or mickall, (or um bongo...), a UCA Farnham uni student studying film production, but hailing from the city of peterborough, land of the cool kids (one of which i clearly am not).

I've been an observer of the forum for a little while looming in the background and hidden from sight by the brightness of the perpetual rainbow that is fractal_tangent and felt it was time to do this properly myself and be more than a provider of cookies

:D
Fractal_Tangent wrote:He's here! I demand a cookie.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Wed May 19, 2010 7:56 pm UTC

He's here! I demand a cookie.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed May 19, 2010 7:57 pm UTC

What kind of silly name is Um Bongo? Silly. Though I do have to admit that Peterborough IS the land of the cool kids.
I know, I'm a cat.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Wed May 19, 2010 7:58 pm UTC

You know, sir_tiger, you're sounding an awful like a guy who's joined the fora multiple times and does nothing but seriously creep on me...
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed May 19, 2010 8:02 pm UTC

Looming in the shadows admiring Fractal, eh?
It can't be the same person because he hasn't called you hot yet.
Ⓞⓞ◯

sir_tiger

Postby sir_tiger » Wed May 19, 2010 8:09 pm UTC

i have a signed permisson form from fractal to loom. its been nearly two years, if she didnt like me hanging around im sure she would have said something by now. or thrown things at me...
Fractal_Tangent wrote:He's here! I demand a cookie.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed May 19, 2010 8:13 pm UTC

But she's always throwing things at you! :P
I want permission to loom and lurk. I will contact the council!
Ⓞⓞ◯

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed May 19, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

/me gives the perpetual rainbow Fractal_Tangent a cookie.

Sammich117

Postby Sammich117 » Wed May 19, 2010 8:43 pm UTC

Hallo all!!!

I've been reading for years so I'm not sure why I didn't stumble into the forums until right now, but here I am!

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Wed May 19, 2010 8:48 pm UTC

Sup sir_tiger, Sammich, others?
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Return to “General”