Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

^_^

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby ^_^ » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:07 am UTC

Hmm just realised I never posted here first thing... Probably should have :P

Ah well. Howdy! I'm Victoria. I live in Australia (land of insanely hot days that make me wish I was anywhere but here). I'm 18, and in my first year of university, studying... Well I'm not entirely sure to be honest. Currently a mixture of every type of science I could think of. Yay indecisiveness! Physics and math will always hold my love though :D So I'll probably be on my way to a physics degree and an engineering degree shortly.
I am also the master of procrastination. As proven by the fact I haven't been to uni lectures in about 3 months... yet still am on here instead of studying for my exam tomorrow that I know nothing for :roll:
And well... I'm rather uninteresting, so that's about all I've got to say :P

EDIT: After viewing this post... I just realised I am prone to excessive smiley usage. My apologies! I'm never that happy in person, promise! I'd be much more likely to glare at you. :twisted:

rog

Postby rog » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:22 am UTC

I'm Rog, a programmer and amateur photographer from Sydney, Australia. I'm into doing things with multiple images that make my machine crash (giant panoramas, interesting computer generated compositions layering lots of photos in some nerdy way, etc). I've run a web design business, worked as a Java code monkey, taken enough photos for free at weddings/concerts/nightclubs to know that it's not really my thing, and am currently trying to bring my various technical skills more up-to-date. Of course, xkcd is a staple part of that diet. :)

Oh, and I play ultimate frisbee when my knees let me.

- Rog
In the spirit of thefairest.info ... "More Betterer"

Lord Hammer

Postby Lord Hammer » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:55 am UTC

Hello there everyone,

My name is Matthijs and I am from the Netherlands. From time to time I come up with random questions that I can't answer myself because I do not know that much. People here seem to do so after following some discussions and wasting some good study-time I decided to join.

Currently I work at a garden shop (correct english term?) and am learning economical mathematics in preparation for my planned study Earth & Economics which focuses on practical use of Earth Sciences taking into account economical interests and interests from society in the broadest sense.

Other than that I enjoy music and play guitar, although I find myself thinking about playing bass. My musical preference started out with metal mainly but has since grown to liking anything that's good with a preference for band-based music. Other than that I don't have very specific hobby's, i like to look up names of flowers and plants and am quite interested in philosophy. I quite often drink beer with friends.

Anyway, hello everyone! :)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:59 pm UTC

... just remember that Hammer outranks you, and we'll all be fine.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

yuyuyami

Postby yuyuyami » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:14 pm UTC

I was born yesterday.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:22 pm UTC

It's my birthday today! =D
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:06 pm UTC

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRACTAL TANGENT!!!

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:16 pm UTC

Woofsie wrote:HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRACTAL TANGENT!!!

OH
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

joshz

Postby joshz » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:21 pm UTC

Happy birthday Fractal! Hope it is/was a great one!
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:19 am UTC

Woofsie wrote:HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRACTAL TANGENT!!!

Woah....
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

Lord Hammer

Postby Lord Hammer » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:05 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:... just remember that Hammer outranks you, and we'll all be fine.

Time will tell. :wink:

The Pigeons' Rule

Postby The Pigeons' Rule » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:50 pm UTC

I'm Juan, a webcomic author (I'm also an Engineer, just not right now) from Spain. I love books, cinema, comics, the tubes, Peter Sellers, Miyazaki, Borges, Rube Goldberg and other stuff. I also love my new iPad, but that may be just temporary, as a way to justify myself for the bucks I put into buying it.

I've been reading xkcd forever (2006 at least), but only recently did I get involved in the forums...

Curiouser

Postby Curiouser » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:47 am UTC

'ello,

I'm 21, a born-and-probably-will-die-here New Englander. I'm actually more of a geek about, er, not-computer-or-physics-related things [cough fashion history cough*], but I do enjoy me some xkcd. I also find Chaos Theory quite interesting, though I know only a tiny little bit about it.
I have just lurked on the fora for a bit this evening and decided I might as well register in case I ever want to weigh in. Some good conversations occurring around here!

Nice to be postin' hereabouts. :)

*There is some physics and are some other kinds of science (biology, chemistry, and political science, especially :roll: ) involved in some of the things which occurred in fashion history, but they are not directly related.
Around 1770, hairstyles required beef fat & flour to hold up and would only be redone every month or so. Fashionable ladies slept sitting & invented the backscratcher to fend off vermin who tried to make homes out of their coiffures.

sellyme

Postby sellyme » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:17 am UTC

Hi!

I'm a 14 year old Australian guy, who spends every possible second on the internet, in particular, on Kongregate. I even go to the extremes of completely destroying school servers and/or using programs to hack admin passwords, so I can go on a site that's actually useful, instead of the 5 or so the school likes.

xkcd is the most recent webcomic I have found, and is probably my favourite. The others are Ctrl+Alt+Delete, Planet Zebeth, and VGCats.

I am a very active forummer (I have gathered around 3500 posts in the Kongregate forums in about 5 months) so you should see me around here quite a lot. I also enjoy competition, so I'll be in Forum Games very often. In fact, I am appalled at it not going towards your post count, but I guess with "Count to infinity" style games being the majority of that section, you can be excused. If you didn't know, most other forums don't allow those, as let's face it, it's just centralized spam.

As I said I am very competitive, and have won several forum games, and gaming competitions over at Kongregate. I'm a little disappointed that there are (seemingly) none here, but oh well. I'm currently hosting a 125 person person strong gaming tournament with 10 rounds, each encompassing a different game, so I might not be on as frequently as I would normally be for the next month or so.

As you can probably tell from the already huge textwall, I like talking, and am a major grammar nazi. If you can't spell or use grammar (And English is your first language, obviously), I'm likely to ignore you. Of course, this is the xkcd forums, so I doubt there are many people like that here, but it always helps to give warning.

And look out in the other intro-themed threads (I insist on calling the individual topic either a topic or thread, not a forum), because I'm likely to be posting yet another textwall in them. See you then!
Sellyme is a je- Wait no.

unknownuser

Postby unknownuser » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:16 pm UTC

Hello! I'm Jason! From somewhere in the UK! And I can't believe I never noticed the 'forum' button before! Hi all!

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:17 pm UTC

Hello Jason! Nice to meet you!
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

flippant

Postby flippant » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:03 pm UTC

Hello

I live in the bay area and have been lurking on an off here for a few years and I finally decided to say hi.

hi.

I work with the mentally disabled and I am hoping to meet some of you lovely people at Golden Gate Park on the 26th!

My name is Rick, I have lived and worked all over the Western U.S. (including Alaska, excluding Hawaii) and I am a Jeopardy contestant in training.

aporia

Postby aporia » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:00 pm UTC

Hi, I'm a 25 year old math student from Michigan.

I just want to thank xkcd for encouraging me to seek out romance with nerdy girls. Yesterday I spent an afternoon on the beach with one, discussing the birthday paradox and writing diagrams and formulas in the sand. This morning she wrote me saying it was the "most romantic thing [she] could think of, so far". I think I finally found stick-figure girl...

joshz

Postby joshz » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:39 pm UTC

aporia wrote:This morning she wrote me saying it was the "most romantic thing [she] could think of, so far".
You need to marry this girl. She sounds awesome. Failing that, at least convince her to join the xkcd forums.
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

aporia

Postby aporia » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:59 pm UTC

I know, right? We've only been going out for about 6 weeks, so I shouldn't be too hasty... but honestly I already have a proposal location planned :lol:

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:13 am UTC

aporia wrote:I know, right? We've only been going out for about 6 weeks, so I shouldn't be too hasty... but honestly I already have a proposal location planned :lol:

Don't wear hats around her, she might steal them.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

bigloser

Postby bigloser » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:05 am UTC

Hi everyone. I'm new here. Hope you can acquaint me with what's up in here.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:05 pm UTC

aporia wrote:Hi, I'm a 25 year old math student from Michigan.

I just want to thank xkcd for encouraging me to seek out romance with nerdy girls. Yesterday I spent an afternoon on the beach with one, discussing the birthday paradox and writing diagrams and formulas in the sand. This morning she wrote me saying it was the "most romantic thing [she] could think of, so far". I think I finally found stick-figure girl...

Aaawww Image
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

The Tempest

Postby The Tempest » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:48 pm UTC

I'm Roxy.

Currently seventeen and a half years old(the half helps my self esteem) while attending my glorious Berkeley High School! I'm graduating this year and then wish to attend the University of South Carolina for Astronomy afterwards. >:3

Uhm... I have no special skills in anything. My hobbies are many among many more.

Music is my life and I like to indulge in nature quite often. Although I succumb to the allure of the internet all too often. I'm almost always on MSN or AIM.

They say I should look forward to life, but I find it kind of strange I'm always looking up.
How do I spell love? M-U-S-I-C.

Atomic Toast

Postby Atomic Toast » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:07 am UTC

Greetings from Uruguay. You shall know me as Atomic Toast.
I've been reading xkcd for a few years, and while its quality has decayed IMO, it still manages to make me smile sometimes.

Today, I've finally decided to make an account here.

Surprisingly, I'm not much of a hard sciences guy. I actually study humanities.

vaguelyhumanoid

Postby vaguelyhumanoid » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:42 am UTC

Greetings!
Long time lurker, first time poster.
I enjoy music, linguistics, and long walks down the river Acheron.
Spoiler:
tesseraktik wrote: of course you need to gornax your frifftop to a proper taibou (which, as the construction of this tempered tutatu suggests, consists of two bed.pans joined by a haiku), or else angry zubat are going to flork off your penis.'

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:52 am UTC

You can walk on water?

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:57 am UTC

He's vaguely humanoid, he could be anything.
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

The Pigeons' Rule

Postby The Pigeons' Rule » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:26 pm UTC

Walking on the river of pain. How's that for a hobby? You're the new Ch. Norris!

Nice to meet you, vaguelyhumaniod. :D

PS: I wanna be you.

kreecha1986

Postby kreecha1986 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:01 pm UTC

So, hi! My name is Joe, and I live in the sunny city of Bradford. I share my home with a kitten named Pi, and a person most of you will be familiar with, Keozen! I am going to do cliched 'I am not very good at these' thing, and bugger off now, but - hi!

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:03 pm UTC

I'm totally going to steal that name when I get a cat.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:11 pm UTC

But Pi is my friend Catherine.

P.s. Hey Joe

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:55 pm UTC

I have a cat (tomcat) with the name Pi. The other one, his sister, is called My (µ).

Dasboard

Postby Dasboard » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:18 pm UTC

Okay, that will be problem. Now I can't decide who's cat name to steal.

Solution: All your cat names are belong to us. I'll take'em all. ( My included. I really love the way you named your cats. )

cycoris

Postby cycoris » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:41 pm UTC

I feel like I've gotten complacent on my home fora, and am venturing yet a bit farther into the madness. Or rather, into a place where I can discuss religion and politics, and no one knows me. And I truly do realise that I could have capitalised my username, but then it wouldn't look nearly as pretty and even.

I'm sixteen and am biding my time before uni (want to go to Hampshire) by trying to find a job for the next year. I live somewhere horribly dry in Oregon, but use British spelling because it was required at one of the schools I attended, and I never got out of the habit.

Hullo, all!

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:21 pm UTC

Dasboard wrote:Okay, that will be problem. Now I can't decide who's cat name to steal.

Solution: All your cat names are belong to us. I'll take'em all. ( My included. I really love the way you named your cats. )

When we were in vacation on Crete there was a hotel baby kitty who would come, crawl on your lap and sleep there. We named her Rho. Next day we saw her, or so we thought, and she ran away, strangely. Soon we learned that they were three siblings, all looking almost identical, white with black tail, as if it was tacked on. Their mommy cat looked that way, too. And we later saw a tomcat with that look in the area. We named the babies Rho1, Rho2 and Rho3. We almost took the "first" Rho, the one who was so snuggly, with us home (they actually urge you to do this, cats in shelters get killed if nobody takes them within a short time there, because they cannot afford to feed them forever). But she was too young, the airline didn't allow it, and the time was too short to get all the shots. Maybe it was better, who knows whether Pi and My would have gotten along with Rho. But we think of her occassionally and wonder whether she made it, she was a weakly kitten, the smallest and slowest of the three.

I think Alpha, Beta, Zeta or Omega would also make neat cat names.

Oh, and, hi cycoris and other new people!

Cane

Postby Cane » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:41 pm UTC

cycoris wrote:Hullo, all!

All skate, now reverse. Swamp Ophelia, I'm torn down.

[I know this is cryptic to most, but cycoris will get it. 8) ]
Red Hal: I'll tell you what you can do with your autoerotic anal penetration, young Cane, you can shove it up y... oh, hang on.

symmetriad

Postby symmetriad » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:56 pm UTC

I lurk here too much to not register.

Was attempting to be a physics student, but my math scores were too poor, so I became a math student. In the interest of getting a degree and getting out, I became a sociology student (my current situation)

Student at Florida State University in Tallahassee, FL, native born.

I enjoy stuff. Lots of it.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:01 pm UTC

(rather late than never, but Hi Joe!)
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:08 pm UTC

Five euro on this "Hi Joe!" thing confusing people over in the comic forum pretty soon.
Signatures are for chumps.

Return to “General”