Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby Dasboard » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:05 pm UTC

Monika wrote:
Dasboard wrote:Okay, that will be problem. Now I can't decide who's cat name to steal.

Solution: All your cat names are belong to us. I'll take'em all. ( My included. I really love the way you named your cats. )

When we were in vacation on Crete there was a hotel baby kitty who would come, crawl on your lap and sleep there. We named her Rho. Next day we saw her, or so we thought, and she ran away, strangely. Soon we learned that they were three siblings, all looking almost identical, white with black tail, as if it was tacked on. Their mommy cat looked that way, too. And we later saw a tomcat with that look in the area. We named the babies Rho1, Rho2 and Rho3. We almost took the "first" Rho, the one who was so snuggly, with us home (they actually urge you to do this, cats in shelters get killed if nobody takes them within a short time there, because they cannot afford to feed them forever). But she was too young, the airline didn't allow it, and the time was too short to get all the shots. Maybe it was better, who knows whether Pi and My would have gotten along with Rho. But we think of her occassionally and wonder whether she made it, she was a weakly kitten, the smallest and slowest of the three.

I think Alpha, Beta, Zeta or Omega would also make neat cat names.

Oh, and, hi cycoris and other new people!

Aaaw, I hope that the Rho family is okay.
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

rawshark

Postby rawshark » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:42 am UTC

I'm Ben. I discovered xkcd years ago through the wikipedia page for the Ackermann function. I live in NYC and write software in my day job.

sendingsignal

Postby sendingsignal » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:21 am UTC

Hi. I'm Ian. I'm a photographer and studio manager for my day job, and for my night job I sort comics, basically, for my website.

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:18 pm UTC

I'm the existential_squirrrel... that's right 3 r's

I've been lurking on these fora for about a year as a guest, but only just joined.
I live in San Diego, eat food of all kinds, read scary books that freak people out to go to sleep (Hot Zone, and the like)
I practise Martial Arts, and dream of studying viruses
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

quantumcat42

Postby quantumcat42 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:07 pm UTC

Hey, y'alls, long time lurker here. Currently pursuing a graduate degree in power systems engineering, also working on getting an energy management system startup off the ground. I make movies in my spare time.

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:40 pm UTC

I could've sworn I'd posted in one of these, but I searched all of them and apparently I hadn't.

Dan 25/m/Billings, MT. I do a lot of cooking with fire, dabble in rock climbing, have several scaly pets, and work as procedural support for credit products at a major bank. Currently in my senior year of my BS in Psych and hope to study neuroscience or physiological psych.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

Sid Beretta

Postby Sid Beretta » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:35 am UTC

I used to be on some forum, or another. Then for a long time I wasn't.

Right now, I'm trying to fix my life up. I'm not a charity case slash sob story, or anything. Long story short, I moved a long ways from home, and things aren't working out how I figured. Kinda lonely, just looking for people to talk to, you know?

Decided to come back to a forum that was establish but not terribly superly overpopulated. I am hoping that xkcd fits the bill. We will see...

alden

Postby alden » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:22 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Alden... this is the third geekiest forum I have ever registered on. I work with computers and then go home and play with computers, though often I am less sober at that point. I used to like reading but that got too complicated so I started reading comics (usually pretentious crap by people like Joe Sacco or Chris Ware) but holding physical objects became too hard too so now it's these, uh "internet" comics. I like the funny ones, and occasionally the horrible soap opera ones. Oh and now I am writing one myself, which is I guess my not secret agenda in registering here. Well that and arguing with people about other pretentious crap I enjoy (music, food, alcohol, old video games).

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:13 pm UTC

What are the two more geeky forums?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

alden

Postby alden » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:23 pm UTC

Monika wrote:What are the two more geeky forums?

The ones here and here though I only really actively post on the former.

Thanks for the welcome folks!

NotGrouchy

Postby NotGrouchy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:59 am UTC

Hello everybody! I'm the happiest person on the fora !

I love xkcd and everyone who reads it !

Have a jolly day, full of rainbows and surprises ::smile!::

-NG>

joshz

Postby joshz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:19 pm UTC

I fuckin' lol'd.
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

Cane

Postby Cane » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:14 pm UTC

If they ever come in contact, it could destroy the world.

(Dan Brown told me so.)
Red Hal: I'll tell you what you can do with your autoerotic anal penetration, young Cane, you can shove it up y... oh, hang on.

CosmicFugue

Postby CosmicFugue » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:47 pm UTC

sup y'all. my name's bilal, i'm 18 and from dubai. future physics major (or electrical engineering...depending on how my exams go) who also happens to love music, movies and books. erm...i'm not really that great at talking about myself so here are some links:
http://www.last.fm/user/CosmicFugue
http://mescaline-sunrise.blogspot.com/

also, type 2204355 into google and clock "i'm feeling lucky".

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:17 pm UTC

CosmicFugue wrote:sup y'all. my name's bilal, i'm 18 and from dubai. future physics major (or electrical engineering...depending on how my exams go) who also happens to love music, movies and books. erm...i'm not really that great at talking about myself so here are some links:
http://www.last.fm/user/CosmicFugue
http://mescaline-sunrise.blogspot.com/

also, type 2204355 into google and clock "i'm feeling lucky".

Oh, I didn't know that meme yet.

Is the avatar a photo of you?

CosmicFugue

Postby CosmicFugue » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:21 pm UTC

yeah but it's really shitty quality (taken from my laptop's webcam...what do you expect?). check the other thread if you want to see my face in all it's photoshopped glory.

webby

Postby webby » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:41 am UTC

Hi, my name is David (my friends call me Webby because of my last name) and I'm a 21 year old from Sydney. I'm at uni doing physics honours (my thesis is in astrophysics), so I'll either do a PhD or go out into the real world next year. I guess my biggest hobby is chess, but I'm also interested in a bunch of different sports and also politics. Unfortunately haven't done this yet: http://xkcd.com/249/

I've followed the comics since there were only about a hundred of them, but never bothered to join the forum before - don't have much experience with fora and it's always hard to know where to start. But I'm sure you're all friendly people who wouldn't dare attack a newbie. :P

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:24 pm UTC

Hi Webby, welcome to the forum :) . What's your last name, Webster? And we're waiting for your chess roller coaster photo!

webby

Postby webby » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:44 am UTC

I'm not going to say whether it's Webb, Webber or Webster. That way anyone bothering to stalk me will have to do three google searches rather than one. :D

Will have to go to Luna Park sometime (amusement park at the foot of the sydney harbour bridge). Was going to go with my ex, but we never got round to it. Also, not sure how thrilled she would have been by bringing a chess board along. :P

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:34 pm UTC

Well if she's not totally thrilled by such an idea, it must be good she is "ex" 8) .

webby

Postby webby » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:36 am UTC

:D Thanks for the welcome Monika, looks like you're the gatekeeper of the xkcd world! And an effective CAPTCHA. :P

Looking back at this thread, good (and slightly surprising) to see so many Australians on the website. Who knew we were the nerdy country?

LakerLandB

Postby LakerLandB » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:49 am UTC

Hey all.

I'm Brandon, 18 from Los Angeles, CA. I love sports, tech, and women. Looking for a new place to chat so should be interesting. I'm a big Lakers and Dodgers fan being from LA and all. The Lakers just won the championship in back to back seasons-- so awesome. I spend a ton of time on the computer and watching as many films as I can. I look forward to a new journey for me on the interwebs.

the penman

Postby the penman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:07 am UTC

Morning all,

25 year old married Glaswegian bloke with a Bsc in pure Maths (groups/rings/fields, topology, etc) and metaphysical Philosophy (language, metaphysics, action, externalism, etc). Which covers the quadrumvirate of Language, Romance, Sarcasm and Maths nicely. Now working in a bank, using precisely none of that knowledge. Lovely.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:20 am UTC

the penman wrote:Bsc in pure Maths (groups/rings/fields, topology, etc) and metaphysical Philosophy (language, metaphysics, action, externalism, etc)

Nice combo.

Which covers the quadrumvirate of Language, Romance, Sarcasm and Maths nicely.

Indeed.

Now working in a bank, using precisely none of that knowledge. Lovely.

Well, it will be hard to find a job where you can use that knowledge. Web cartoonist comes to mind.

today's special

Postby today's special » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:39 pm UTC

Hi,
I've been reading the comic for quite some time now and it never fails to make me laugh. I enjoy sailing, hiking, programming, logic puzzles, high fantasy, and digital illustration. I'm a huge fan of Ubuntu Linux. I'm not religious, but I'm also not an atheist, I'm just a normal human beings. I hope I make a ton of friends here!

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:10 pm UTC

What's "high fantasy"?

Do you think atheists are not normal human beings? 8)

And Ubuntu rulez.

olicool10

Postby olicool10 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:59 am UTC

I'm Olivier (that's french), I am a student and I love video games, computers and good music (like hard rock, electronic and chiptune).
Last edited by olicool10 on Fri May 27, 2011 11:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:21 pm UTC

Monika wrote:What's "high fantasy"?
Lord of the Rings versus Conan the Barbarian.

It's a sense of scale and idealism - usually your High Fantasy has a world-reaching scale and often involves a side that is, by almost every measure, "Good" and a side that is - again, by most measures - "Evil". Usually there's a fair amount of Magic being thrown around as well, and often prophecies and whatnot. Really, it's often about how much magic is being thrown around. If you can't walk a block without finding some magic wizzdangdoodle (Harry Potter, Wheel of Time), it's probably High Fantasy.

Low Fantasy is more Conan the Barbarian rather than Lord of the Rings - not so much magic and usually involves the day-to-day struggles or an episode out of the life of Person X, that while notable enough to write about, isn't their first dance and likely not going to be their last. Rather than a clearly defined Good and Evil, usually the protagonists will engage in various seedy behaviors and the antagonists are either working towards revenge against the protagonists, or completely unaware of their existence until later on in the novel, when the Artifact Y is stolen by Person X, or their plot to overthrow King Z is stopped, sometimes accidentally, by Person X. Hell, sometimes the antagonist never even knows that Person X exists beyond vague notions that there's someone throwing a wrench in their plans. The antagonist may even exist in name only. But.. more importantly, Magic is rare, if it even exists. What few spellslingers there are who possess any real powers are almost always subtle users. No fireball spells, no magic wards and protections, usually prophecies and little luck spells or whatnot. What is considered a powerful sorcerer in low fantasy probably knows less about magic than the average farmer in a high fantasy world.

That's how I always understood it, at least. Wikipedia disagrees somewhat, and says the placement of the world is more important - that is, if it's something that's close to reality, it's low fantasy, but if it's all wacky and clearly not at all like Earth, it's High.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

MyNameIs

Postby MyNameIs » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:29 pm UTC

Hey guys, I've just established an interest in xkcd and the awesome comics. I'll be posting here quite a lot and I like the fact that this website is targeted for sciencey guys (I think, anyway).

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:49 pm UTC

Afternoon.

My name is Vapour and I shall be your lurker for this flight...

Wait...what?

randtyqxpl

Postby randtyqxpl » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:33 pm UTC

HI, I'm Randy. Glad to become member of this great forum..

ximun

Postby ximun » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:47 pm UTC

Hi there, my name is Simon and I'm a college student from Montreal, Canada.

My interests include minimalism, languages, literature and music. If I'm not at work (working as a busboy) then I'm either hitting the gym or practicing for ballroom competitions. I also spend a lot of time on the Internet but I try to reduce the digital addiction.

I study languages (German and Italian) but don't really have plans for the future yet. I want to educate myself as much as possible by going to university, but the field of study is still unknown. I'm interested in international relations and also translation, but I'm probably going to use the latter as a means to generate income on the side. I hear translation can be lucrative but extremely boring.

Otherwise I'm an unpopular blogger dreaming of turning into a Youtube star, heh. Hoping to post videos soon.

GregTheFirst

Postby GregTheFirst » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:56 am UTC

Hello, intimidatingly large forum. My name is Greg, and I am from the exotic and sun-drenched land of Wales.

I am a some-time writer, a creative t-shirt enthusiast and a failure at writing introduction posts. When not casting about desperately for things to say about myself, I enjoy working in a call centre, lying about my feelings towards my job and studying Psychology (because apparently I would like to work in a call centre forever).

I changed the position of the full stop (period, for what I assume is most of you) at the end of that paragraph three times before I decided on after the bracket. Thoughts?

Anyway, I'm going to stop talking about myself now. It is not my favourite thing.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:35 am UTC

So, are you saying you like or dislike working in a call center?

And the period totally belongs after the bracket.

GregTheFirst

Postby GregTheFirst » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:06 am UTC

Monika wrote:So, are you saying you like or dislike working in a call center?

And the period totally belongs after the bracket.

Good question. What thinkst thou?

I'm glad we agree on that one, then, I wouldn't like to make a grammatical faux pas on my first ever post.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:29 am UTC

I think you were saying you like working in a call center, but society tells you you must hate working there; but I am not sure.

GregTheFirst

Postby GregTheFirst » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:26 pm UTC

What I actually meant was that I lied when I said I enjoy working in a call centre, but I like your interpretation rather a lot more.

SpaceShipRat

Postby SpaceShipRat » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

Oh I found it. The intro thread. :) Hi! Long time lurker like almost everyone else.
I'm a girl, I like cleanly drawn simple comics, and speculative biology.

joejoyce

Postby joejoyce » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:06 pm UTC

Hi. I'm a time traveler from the past who got sucked through a 4-dimensional game into one of the threads here. If I were actually here, I'd be like, ... oh, 62. Ugh, nightmare! Anyway, I cheated getting in here to Hogwarts. I never did the entrance requirements; I just used the flying car to sneak in over the wall, and flew right into the Whomping Willow. Needless to say, got hammered. See what happens when one indulges one's interest in games, instead of doing something productive? Still, before I wake, guess I'll see if anyone else has interests like mine.

Joe Joyce

ps: think I'm named for an Irish bar

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:45 am UTC

SpaceShipRat wrote:Oh I found it. The intro thread. :) Hi! Long time lurker like almost everyone else.
I'm a girl, I like cleanly drawn simple comics, and speculative biology.

What *is* speculative biology?

Return to “General”