Photomanipulation Software

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Photomanipulation Software

Postby yurell » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:56 am UTC

For Christmas, I am looking for photomanipulation software for my Father, and having next to no experience with the field (I do have Adobe CS4 which was a gift to me from a friend, but beside that I have paint) I was hoping that I good outsource some of the thinking to more learned individuals. I did do some cursory search, and after doing TopTen Reviews' questionnaire, the following were suggested:

• ACDSee
  • Serif PhotoPlus
  • Corel Paintshop Pro

Of those three, I have used very ancient copies of the first and the third in the past, but beyond that have absolutely no experience. Looking up reviews for them, I'm extremely wary of ACDSee, which I often see described as 'mediocre', but the other two sound alright (with the last the best of the list as near I can tell). My Father is only a beginner at this, so he'll need a relatively accessible program to begin with, but I don't want something with absolutely no power that he'll have to chuck after six to twelve months of experience.

His laptop is an ASUS N50Vc with Windows 7 64-bit, which he will probably be upgrading out of at the end of the year for something more powerful. My price range doesn't extend anywhere near professional software (so no CS6), so I hope someone can advise some good amateur programs. Thank you in advance ^.^

I hope this is an appropriate subject for General; I tried looking at the art subforum, and it didn't seem to be the right place, but if I'm wrong please move it to the right spot.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!
yurell

Re: Photomanipulation Software

Postby induction » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:53 pm UTC

I recommend GIMP (it's definitely within your price range). While you're at it, you can also get Inkscape and give them as a package (like a Photoshop/Illustrator combo pack) for the same price as either one alone.
induction

Postby Роберт » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

That's not exactly a gift, though.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.
Роберт

Postby yurell » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:10 pm UTC

Thanks for the advice, but 'free' rather cheapens the idea of 'gift', I'm afraid — while it's the thought that counts, that idea only stretches so far.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

yurell

Postby ucim » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:20 am UTC

yurell wrote:Thanks for the advice, but 'free' rather cheapens the idea of 'gift', I'm afraid — while it's the thought that counts, that idea only stretches so far.
But you can then include a gift certificate for photo paper, or inkjet ink, or other things that photo manipulation software will end up demanding.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar
ucim

Postby Link » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
yurell wrote:Thanks for the advice, but 'free' rather cheapens the idea of 'gift', I'm afraid — while it's the thought that counts, that idea only stretches so far.
But you can then include a gift certificate for photo paper, or inkjet ink, or other things that photo manipulation software will end up demanding.

Jose
Seconding this. Getting Photoshop or something similar for a beginner is a waste of money; GIMP has more than enough features anyway. It's better to spend that money on hardware or supplies, which your father will probably end up wanting sooner or later anyway. A Wacom tablet or a high-quality photo printer can't (easily) be obtained for free, whereas all the features a beginner would need from photomanipulation software are included in GIMP and other free software.
Link
418 I'm a teapot

Postby Роберт » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

A tablet is a good thought, Link.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.
Роберт

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

ucim wrote:

Jose

I also want to second this idea; as a 'starter kit' this actually shows both a good deal of thoughtfulness into their needs, and simultaneously has a good deal of practicality! If your dad doesn't like the software, he can upgrade. If he decides he doesn't like photomanipulation at all, he can use the paper or ink to at least print out pictures.
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Link » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:A tablet is a good thought, Link.

They're pretty nice for graphics work. I bought a Wacom CTF-420 a few years ago (€30 at Aldi!) and it's much easier to use than a mouse when it comes to non-vector graphics. Pressure sensitivity is a very nice thing to have, especially.
Link
418 I'm a teapot

Postby yurell » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:32 pm UTC

The reason I asked specifically for software is that the gift is being co-ordinated with the rest of the family — not that giving photo printer and paper and new camera isn't a good idea, just that it's already being executed.

yurell

Postby ucim » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:12 am UTC

yurell wrote:The reason I asked specifically for software is that the gift is being co-ordinated with the rest of the family — not that giving photo printer and paper and new camera isn't a good idea, just that it's already being executed.
If equally good software is available for free, then spending money on an alternative is just spending money for its own sake. I'd rather receive GIMP and a gift certificate, than receive Photoshop alone, irrespective of whatever else is in the aggregate. I also suspect that any photo manipulation software that does not have a good open source alternative is probably too specialized for a beginner dipping his feet into it.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar
ucim

Return to General