Should I spend my birthday money on what I want?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

liberalkid

Should I spend my birthday money on what I want?

Postby liberalkid » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

Last month was my 14th birthday, and my aunt sent me a 50 dollar check in the mail. There's a catch, however; in a card she also sent me, she says the check's for "saving up for a ping pong table"! I have a few reasons why I don't want a ping pong table:
-Not enough space in the apartment
-I'm an only child, and playing with my parents makes me feel like a loser
-Even if I had siblings, I doubt it would be very fun
-It won't make me much more popular at school, as most kids nowadays care more about video games, including me. I got a ps4, by the way, so I don't think a ping pong table would make any more people want to come over to my place :p
-I don't like ping pong that much anyway
I'd rather spend the money on a video game or two, which I would actually use. And I think she would be happier with me playing games I bought with the money she gave me than the ping pong table collecting dust. She did something similar a couple years ago too, where she sent me a 100 dollar check for my 12th birthday-for ski or snowboarding stuff. And that was the year THERE WAS NO FREAKING SNOW. :p
So what do you think?
Last edited by liberalkid on Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

liberalkid

Re: Should I spend my birthday money on what I want?

Postby liberalkid » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:56 am UTC

post something plz

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:16 am UTC

Sells multi-use tables too. Example: "table tennis, billiards, push hockey, basketball, baseball toss, football toss, bean bag toss, bowling, tic-tac-toe, checkers, chess, and backgammon". Are any of those functions more appealing?

Recommends asking your parents. Knows the social layout better. May object to something that large, also.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:56 am UTC

You should call up your aunt with an idea of what you want. Ideally it should be really cool, something you'd be excited to have. Maybe even involve saving up.

And ask her if it is ok if you spend the money on that instead of a ping-pong table.

Don't phrase it as "buying something I want instead", but buying something *specific* that you can express excitement over.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

liberalkid

Postby liberalkid » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:08 am UTC

Thanks for the replies so far. Hope for more!

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

I smell something fishy: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107320

Apologies if there is truly no relation between the two "lowercase political leaning kid" users who post questions about what a kid should do and nothing else. I suspect it's some sort of social experiment and don't feel like participating beyond this post.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:I smell something fishy: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107320

It's being handled.

It has been handled to my satisfaction. Liberalkid and conservativekid are the same person. Liberalkid may continue posting.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

Thanks, SecondTalon.

On topic, then: It seems really odd for someone to give you money for a purchase
1. when you don't want to make the purchase and
2. said money is insufficient for making the purchase

I would try to understand what, exactly, made her want you to get a ping-pong table, and try to think of something specific you might actually want that would make her happy, too, and talk to her about it. I mean, what else is there to do? Burn the check? Cash it without talking to her about it and hope she doesn't notice you never get a ping-pong table? Certainly not buy a ping-pong table you don't want.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

Sounds like you maybe mentioned (a long time ago?) that you wanted a ping-pong table, and she's trying to help you achieve that.

I duplicate the suggestion that you talk to her and ask if she'd be cool with you putting it toward something else.

Krealr

Postby Krealr » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

Another thought. Does this aunt have a tendency for sarcasm? Maybe she meant the ping pong thing (and the previous snow board thing) as a joke?

liberalkid

Postby liberalkid » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

Krealr wrote:Another thought. Does this aunt have a tendency for sarcasm? Maybe she meant the ping pong thing (and the previous snow board thing) as a joke?

I don't think so. I asked her on the phone about the snow board thing a couple months later, and she didn't say it was a joke.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:29 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:It has been handled to my satisfaction. Liberalkid and conservativekid are the same person. Liberalkid may continue posting.

And it's a troll, right?

Double posts happen. Triples, 20 minutes later? Nah.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

Maybe he's browser-incompetent. The back button is tricky to neophytes, you know.

OP, pingpong tables are usually shit as regular tables because of the legs. I'm not a big fan of the texture, either. And there are no drawers. If you want your ping pong table to be useful as more, take a model with non intellectually-impaired legs (see guys? I'm avoiding ableist slurs. So progressive!) and maybe have a cover or big glass sheet or something to lay on it.

liberalkid

Postby liberalkid » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

The reason I triple posted was because when I hit "submit" the connection would time out. I assumed the post didn't submit. BTW, turns out it was actually a foosball table; I forgot in the month since that it was that until my parents told me last night. Still the same basic idea though; I don't want one.

Return to “General”