Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Fleeting/Random/Thoughts (Random like the plague)

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 04, 2010 12:11 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

smw543

Postby smw543 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:19 pm UTC

Also, Image
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Tue May 04, 2010 12:33 pm UTC

Oh, echochamber. People complained about you, but I always loved you.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue May 04, 2010 1:09 pm UTC

New band name - MDW - Weapons of Mass Dyslexia.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue May 04, 2010 2:27 pm UTC

emceng wrote:New band name - MDW - Weapons of Mass Dyslexia.

Awesome :D Reminded me of DNA - National Dyslexics Association xD
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Tue May 04, 2010 4:19 pm UTC

I don't understand physics. I spent 20 minutes staring at the book not getting a word of it, other than I've not been taught this, and yet the test directly after was 29/40 which is a good solid B grade. ARGH! Anti angst.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Tue May 04, 2010 7:40 pm UTC

Not applicable to his point, IMO.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue May 04, 2010 7:57 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:FT: April Fools jokes posted on the Internet are a very stupid thing. This is because they persist even when the first of April has gone. Too often, I read some news article or blog post or whatever and think "this is unbelievable, I must share this news with someone". And then that person will point out the timestamp is April Fools day. FFFFFFUUUUUUU. If it's not April Fools day, why the fuck am I reading an April Fools joke?!?!
The better question is, why are you so interested in an article, but not the date it was published on? :P

Cane

Postby Cane » Tue May 04, 2010 8:01 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:The better question is, why are you so interested in an article, but not the date it was published on? :P

I tend to scan a dateline and parse it as "Current", "Not too long ago", "A few years ago", or "Old news". I would never notice the April Fool's date because I would just see "April 2010" and think "Current!" or "April 2009" and think "Not too long ago!".
Red Hal: I'll tell you what you can do with your autoerotic anal penetration, young Cane, you can shove it up y... oh, hang on.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 04, 2010 8:27 pm UTC

Re: Han Shooting First.

So, Han shot first, then he didn't, then they shot at the same time. Here's why it's bad.... well, among all the other people who've ranted and raved about it..... Character Development. See, Han's a son of a bitch. He's a shady guy with shady friends and shady "friends" and a smuggler and all that jazz.... during the first movie. He's the kind of guy to blow away a dude trying to take him in with a shot fired under the table... I'd say nice enough to at least tip the bartender on his way out, but honesty - that just helps the story of Badass Han spread. "Dude, Han's a stone cold killer! He blew Greedo away then the fucker threw some credits at the barkeep and was all "Sorry for the mess" then he totally banged five chicks on his way out the door! Don't fuck with that dude!"

By the end of Jedi, he's not the same guy. He's changed. And the prospect of getting in Leia's pants doesn't have as much to do with it as him hanging with Luke and the Rebellion and realizing that hey - you can be a stone cold badass and be a Good Person at the same time. So he joins the rebellion and does all this heroic crap and at the end of Jedi, if Greedo showed up then and tried to haul him in... he'd probably go with it. Yes, he could fry Greedo right there, but no reason to kill the dude just for trying to do his job, not when you can wait for him to turn around and clonk him with a chair, or let your friends know and not make a big scene in a crowded area where innocent people might get hurt, but wait until you're halfway to Jabba's palace before your pals spring an ambush... or even just get hauled in to Jabba and extend the contract for double what's owed.... granted, he'd be smart enough to keep his Rebellion ties quiet, so Jabba doesn't ask for quadruple or even more, but.... yeah, I just don't see Han of Jedi blasting a guy under the table. But Han of Hope? Dude'll shoot first and not even blink.

And he sure as hell won't electric slide across his chair.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Tue May 04, 2010 9:17 pm UTC

How can the university wireless fail to cover the entire library? If I move to another desk about 5 yards back, I can get the university wireless, but I am in a nice little private corner with a plug and everything. I am just using the free wifi from the pub across the road instead. This seems somewhat ridiculous...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue May 04, 2010 9:19 pm UTC

Heh. Reminds me of a couple of weeks ago when I was out of town for work. I couldn't reach the hotel's wireless for crap in the room I was in, but I was able to connect to the wireless of the hotel across the lot with no problem.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue May 04, 2010 9:33 pm UTC

Cassi wrote:How can the university wireless fail to cover the entire library? If I move to another desk about 5 yards back, I can get the university wireless, but I am in a nice little private corner with a plug and everything. I am just using the free wifi from the pub across the road instead. This seems somewhat ridiculous...

Nothing a bunch of pringles won't fix.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Tue May 04, 2010 9:54 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Nothing a bunch of pringles won't fix.

I wonder how narrow a beam you could get with a reasonable sized and contructed waveguide antenna. Do you think, say, <=1 degree is reasonable for something human-portable that I could make in my basement?
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 04, 2010 10:01 pm UTC

monkey butt

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue May 04, 2010 10:11 pm UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:Nothing a bunch of pringles won't fix.

I wonder how narrow a beam you could get with a reasonable sized and contructed waveguide antenna. Do you think, say, <=1 degree is reasonable for something human-portable that I could make in my basement?

From what I understand, wave guides don't collimate. Optical waveguides like optical fibers offer some degree of collimation, but that's because they're based on total internal reflection, but regular hollow waveguides don't have that limit. But take that with a pich of salt. It's been ages since I took electromagnetism.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue May 04, 2010 10:17 pm UTC

Hazelnut chocolate spreads are far too tempting to resist. I want to reduce the fat at my tummy, I really do, but that isn't likely to happen as long as chocolates and chips are around. Bye fitness. Hello fatness.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Tue May 04, 2010 11:41 pm UTC

A thought and a query: is there a specific term for the perverse satisfaction derived from picking spots/the dirt from under nails/removing blackheads/peeling a large patch of dead skin off/that sort of thing? There must be something beyond "weird".
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue May 04, 2010 11:46 pm UTC

Fat Zombie wrote:A thought and a query: is there a specific term for the perverse satisfaction derived from picking spots/the dirt from under nails/removing blackheads/peeling a large patch of dead skin off/that sort of thing? There must be something beyond "weird".

Time to engineer a portmanteau word? I suggest ecdysifaction. Or moultiphoria.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed May 05, 2010 12:19 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Fat Zombie wrote:A thought and a query: is there a specific term for the perverse satisfaction derived from picking spots/the dirt from under nails/removing blackheads/peeling a large patch of dead skin off/that sort of thing? There must be something beyond "weird".

Time to engineer a portmanteau word? I suggest ecdysifaction. Or moultiphoria.
If trichotillomania deals with picking at your hair, and dermatillomania deals with picking at your skin, then I suppose somatotillomania("somato-" meaning "body") would mean that you pick at your entire body. Though I don't think it'd be accurate if you don't do those things compulsively. :| Portmanteaus are cooler, anyway.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Wed May 05, 2010 12:46 am UTC

So it turns out I only need to move my laptop about 5 feet behind the desk I'm at to get a signal from the university wireless. So my laptop is currently on a spare chair shoved back just far enough to get internet.

Also, there are a surprising number of people in the library at nearly 2 am, considering it's nearly 2 weeks still before exams start. I have pretty much finished what I wanted to, but going home is seeming like a lot of effort right now. So I am wasting some time online, and then maybe doing another topic if I still can't be bothered to go home. I feel like I should maybe pick a time that I have to leave if I haven't already, but not sure what that time should be. Wonder when it's going to start getting light, and if I'm likely to be home and in bed by then...not looking likely at the rate I'm going. Glad I'm living nearer to the library next year, though my laziness in terms of getting home has made me get a bit more revision done, I suppose...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:20 am UTC

Whelan wrote:the test directly after was 29/40 which is a good solid B grade.
It is? In my world that's a low C.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed May 05, 2010 6:20 am UTC

The physics and chemistry exams I've seen all have quite low boundaries, C was usually at the half way point.
On the downside, there were usually quite few marks on offer so you didn't want to miss anything.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Wed May 05, 2010 6:30 am UTC

I have an exam today... I'm hoping I've gotten better at spotting parallel fifths and octaves when I write music otherwise my exam paper will end up with as much red pen on it as my assignments did for this class.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed May 05, 2010 6:47 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:The physics and chemistry exams I've seen all have quite low boundaries, C was usually at the half way point.
On the downside, there were usually quite few marks on offer so you didn't want to miss anything.
Oh, right, curving. Wasn't thinking about that.

Sort of related (though see edit):
Spoiler:
AP tests start tomorrow... I have calc BC tomorrow, lit the next day, US history the next, and physics on monday. Calculus I rock at, definite 5. Lit is hard to study for and I'm really not that great at it, but I can probably pull off a 4. But if the essays happen to really suck or be really good, it could potentially be a 3 or a 5. But I'm happy with even a 3 in lit, so whatever. APUSH I'm a bit worried about. I've gotten crappy grades on all of the tests in the class, but my teacher claims that even this crap is enough for a 4. I don't know how much I trust that, but it is a confidence boost. I'm pretty damn sure I'll get at least a 3, and that's good enough for me anyway. Still, I have a bunch of studying to do.

And then we come to physics. Though I like physics and understand things very well conceptually, I don't do as well when it comes to doing all the calculations and such. I took a practice AP test and got a 3 on it. Alright, yes, I passed. But that's really not good enough for me in this subject. I need at least a 4 and really I want a 5. I've gone over some of that test and most of the things that I messed up on were either stupid mistakes (ie 1/10+1/10=2/20, thus fucking up the rest of the calculations), one very specific topic that I didn't remember and which happened to appear a lot of that specific test, or things which I could have figured out if I had memorized the formulas better. Knowing the one thing would have bumped me up A LOT. Out of the 160 or so raw points, they were around 16 points worth of problems about it. And I only got 1 or 2 of those. Adding nearly 10% to my score would have helped immensely. So essentially if I learn that, study the formula sheet more, and try to be more careful so that I avoid stupid mistakes, I should easily get a 4. And if I study more and/or happen to get a really good test for me, that could definitely be a 5. Huh... that actually makes me feel better about it.

Edit: Spoilering it because it's just me thinking out loud about APs and I doubt anyone cares.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed May 05, 2010 6:53 am UTC

I went on a seven-mile hike on the Turnagain Arm trail today. The weather was absolutely perfect and the views were amazing.

As a result, though, my feet are killing me, my thighs are chaffed, and I'm sunburned in some places.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed May 05, 2010 8:54 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:I was with your mom today.

As a result, though, my feet are killing me, my thighs are chaffed, and I'm sunburned in some places.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Wed May 05, 2010 8:59 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:I was with your mom today.

OH SNAP! You even got some foot fetish there!
*claps*
----------
6am, I just finished an essay I have to hand in tomorrow. For those of you that think that if it's not science it's not hard work: You're wrong
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

Buddha with a bra on

Postby Buddha with a bra on » Wed May 05, 2010 9:56 am UTC

Gender & Crime became a much more interesting module when the feminist ranting finished and the research into prostitution began.
My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud...

Walter.Horvath wrote:I can only think to high-five the hell out of you.

Essah

Postby Essah » Wed May 05, 2010 10:07 am UTC

hmm Emergency siren is testing.
5th of may is the day to make terror attacks here if anyone's interested?

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Wed May 05, 2010 4:02 pm UTC

Grade boundaries are roughly 80% for an A, 70% for a B etc. 29/40 is 72% so a low B.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed May 05, 2010 4:05 pm UTC

Essah wrote:hmm Emergency siren is testing.
5th of may is the day to make terror attacks here if anyone's interested?

I realized earlier that today is Cinco de Mayo. Why am I stuck in the office instead of out getting drunk and pretending I care about Mexican holidays?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 05, 2010 4:18 pm UTC

emceng wrote:I realized earlier that today is Cinco de Mayo. Why am I stuck in the office instead of out getting drunk and pretending I care about Mexican holidays?
It's more American than Mexican, which is kinda strange but.. eh, whatever. Most people will celebrate just about anything if it's an excuse to drink.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed May 05, 2010 4:20 pm UTC

You know you're a geek when you type a post and Firefox doesn't recognize most of the words even if they're spelled correctly.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Wed May 05, 2010 4:32 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:You know you're a geek when you type a post and Firefox doesn't recognize most of the words even if they're spelled correctly. add words like orc to the dictionary in Chome

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Wed May 05, 2010 4:50 pm UTC

I had an italian sub for lunch today.

I'm naming all my future italian subs after Italian Submarine Classifications.

Today's sub was a Ballila class sub.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Wed May 05, 2010 5:35 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:You know you're a geek when you type a post and Firefox doesn't recognize most of the words even if they're spelled correctly. add words like orc to the dictionary in Chome

What's Chome? :)
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Wed May 05, 2010 5:38 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:
Xeio wrote:
What's Chome? :)
Obviously fate getting back at me for trying to be high and mighty about my superior browser choice. :mrgreen:

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Wed May 05, 2010 5:58 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:You know you're a geek when you type a post and Firefox doesn't recognize most of the words even if they're spelled correctly.

Heh. No, in my case it just means that I'm British and Firefox doesn't know the CORRECT regional spellings.

Also, got my goodies today. Two albums and a Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS. Fairly nice build quality, lots of buttons to assign, and it didn't cost much either so that's nice.

Damn, though. Controlling a 'mech in MW4 is confusing with a HOTAS. It's like, you twist the stick to turn the torso, but you tilt the stick to steer the legs. Add in the fact that some 'mechs can twist their torsos 360 degrees and it's almost insane.

It's like rubbing your stomach, patting your head and 'driving a mech at the same time. Except without the first two.
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Wed May 05, 2010 6:01 pm UTC

HOTAS? I'm sorry, but to me it looks like you're saying you have an attractive bottom. This isn't the case though, is it?
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

Return to “General”