Thoughts for ships

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SlyReaper
inflatable

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:08 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:I have an awesomatic change-machine at my local Tescos. You empty your bucket into the tray and it sorts through every coin in seconds (well, about 40 seconds), then gives you a receipt/voucher for the exact amount you've put in. You take that to a cashier and you can use it to pay for goods, or they just give you the money straight from the till. It's pretty magic - it even filters out dem furren coins and other non-tender items (such as buttons) which get filtered (via a very cool tipping mechanism) into a little change tray. I found that my giant 5-litre Bell's bottle contained over 20 foreign coins, a ha'penny from 1886, a host of buttons, and even some cufflinks I lost a few years ago. It also contained £45 from an assortment of pennies, twopees, fivepees, tenpees, twentypees, fiftypeepieces, and pound coins.

Don't those machines charge a percentage? There are coinstar machines outside Sainsbury's which take (I think) 8.9% of the money you bung in.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:25 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Don't those machines charge a percentage? There are coinstar machines outside Sainsbury's which take (I think) 8.9% of the money you bung in.
Depends, for cash they usually do, but if they're in a grocery store or something the store will sometimes remove the fee for using it to pay for their goods.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:01 pm UTC

No, it's turtley free!!

...Sometimes puns only work if they relate to the subject matter in some way.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:06 pm UTC

There's a couple different banks around me that offer coin counting machines (even for non-customers) for free. It's pretty awesome.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:28 pm UTC

Yeah, I have a NatWest account and they have an ATM in the bank that lets you pay in coins without any charge. I think the last lot I paid in came to just under £30, it probably helps that I put my £2 coins in as well.
My cash sorting system is:
Notes: Stay in the wallet to be spent. The theory is that I won't want to break a note on small stuff, and that will stop me spending money on silly things. It seems to be working.
£1 coins: Go in a jar to use as the float when I'm doing the door at the acoustic night I help out with. I've nearly filled one up, once I've got that as a standby I'm going to set aside another jar and fill it with £1 coins as a way of saving money.
Any other coins: Go in the jar and get paid in through the machine at the bank. Any that are legal but the machine spits out are mine to spend on a treat for myself.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:30 pm UTC

Accumulated MMMs over the weekend:

1. I'm from Texas, so Coke is Coke is Coke. No exceptions.

2. I ventured into the mall to try on jeggings. Conclusion: jeggings will work as the bottom half of Emma Frost's costume. Caveat: I need to start doing a shitload of crunches, or just starve myself for a couple of days before attempting to climb into that outfit. I see what you mean, Oregonaut. I'm 5'4", 108 pounds, and I was muffin-topping. What the hell.

3. I hate reading philosophy. But for some reason having ambient/trance music playing in the background and a cup of hot chocolate on hand makes the experience much more bearable.

4. Look at it this way. At least you're not the male angler fish.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:42 pm UTC

It is sad, but true. I don't wear tight fitting shirts, even though I'm still in decent shape, my pectoral muscles are not ever going to be "defined" again because of my shoulder injury. That means I look like I have moobs when wearing a shirt, but if I take the shirt off, no more moobs.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:49 pm UTC

MMM: It feels like the gang's all here because it's usually the same people lurking/posting 'round these parts every weekday. I enjoy it, even if I don't always have stuff to talk about it.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:51 pm UTC

Yeah, it's nice. I don't have internet at home so that's why I'm not here on the weekends. But when I'm at work and logging terrifically boring video footage of the governor making speeches? Give me the ol' echochamber any day.

Oregonaut wrote:It is sad, but true. I don't wear tight fitting shirts, even though I'm still in decent shape, my pectoral muscles are not ever going to be "defined" again because of my shoulder injury. That means I look like I have moobs when wearing a shirt, but if I take the shirt off, no more moobs.

The thing is, I look good in skinny jeans. I look good in string bikinis, chrissakes. But apparently jeggings was taking it just a step too far.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:53 pm UTC

Opine, debate, instigate, define your position and hold to it tenaciously with both hands, do not go quietly into that always lit internet night, instead go screaming to bring the Valkyries of yore upon you to say as you fall, "There was an Internet Hero".

It takes a slender smurf-hugger to pull off jeggings Pod. I look damn good in a uniform, but the uniform makes a number of people look like they're in a sausage casing.

The EGE wrote:

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:57 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Opine, debate, instigate, define your position and hold to it tenaciously with both hands, do not go quietly into that always lit internet night, instead go screaming to bring the Valkyries of yore upon you to say as you fall, "There was an Internet Hero".

If that fails, you can always HNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGHHHHH your way out of the conversation.

It takes a slender smurf-hugger to pull off jeggings Pod. I look damn good in a uniform, but the uniform makes a number of people look like they're in a sausage casing.

It doesn't help that I've been closely studying recent X-men comic books featuring Emma Frost to figure out the costume. And she has a taut stomach. And also a waist. /hourglass-less Asian
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:01 pm UTC

She has an artist defined waistline. Were she real, she'd probably break in half during the first 30 seconds of a fight.

Momentary thought: How would police stop someone who was trained, able, and willing to end one life per night, in a different city, or different state, for a year. There is just not enough manpower to keep tabs on everyone, and since you wouldn't find the body until someone checked in on them, unless they were careless/forgot their training, you wouldn't know where they were. (I am pondering this because of a dream I had last night.)

The EGE wrote:

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:17 pm UTC

Not when she's diamond. See, Marvel science strikes again.

Well, it's a good thing most serial killers make mistakes eventually, I suppose. Complacency breeds carelessness?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:22 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Not when she's diamond. See, Marvel science strikes again.

Well, it's a good thing most serial killers make mistakes get bored eventually, I suppose. Complacency breeds carelessness?

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:31 pm UTC

That was pretty much what I was thinking. The only thing that keeps most bad things from happening is a lack of desire to continue to do them.

The EGE wrote:

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:34 pm UTC

Or to do them in the first place. Sometimes I come home and my neighbors have left the front door of our building unlocked. Luckily, none of the passersby seem to have an idea of waiting in the hallway and killing me or stealing things from our basement or whatever.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

Link

Postby Link » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:45 pm UTC

FT (stick it to the man!): I suck at PCB design. It generally goes well until the last few traces, and then it turns into jumper frenzy. I don't want to use that many jumpers, damnit. Unfortunately, I can't use super-thin traces and clearances, nor through-plated vias, seeing as if I ever make this board, I'll be home-etching it.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:48 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:That was pretty much what I was thinking. The only thing that keeps most bad things from happening is a lack of desire to continue to do them.

"Now you see why evil wil always prevail. Because good is dumb."

The world according to Mel Brooks
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:51 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:The only thing that keeps most bad things from happening is a lack of desire to continue to do them.

Also, it's hard to travel between cities with some kind of transport footprint. After 2-3 murders are linked, just look for car registrations that entered/left the city within x period... The killer would have to change car every time, pay only in cash if on public transport, take erratic and unconventional routes as decoys, and avoid any terminus that has cameras. To arrive in a city, kill, hide all evidence, leave a city and arrive at the next city without leaving a trace of your movement would be too hard. Finding a city that doesn't have traffic cams on its main routes - or easy entrance and exit through non-main routes, within a few hours drive of the city you're in (also with no traffic cams &/or non-main routes), would be kind of hard. By the third day, they'd be able to predict the killer's movements, based on the dude's travelling pattern and set up a checkpoint in likely routes. The killer couldn't rent a car, as you'd have to return it to the previous city. If the killer rented at OMGitHertz in Murder City 1, then traded it for a new car in Murder City 2, the police, with one telephone call, would ask "did someone rent a car in murdercity1 and exchange it in murdercity2?" "Yes. A man by the name of Stabby McDisemboweler". Even if they went as far as buy a car each time, you have to provide all sorts of identification and proof of address. Three cities, three cars, three IDs. Quite tough, when you consider that spy that was caught a few years ago carried four IDs, and he was governmentally sponsored. Couldn't travel by plane, either, as you might as well leave a trail of breadcrumbs between each murder victim. In short, it's too hard to do the Daily Murder Dash, as it's far too easy to find people who move between cities, particularly in such a short space of time. Also: who the hell knows the layout and intimate details of more than one city--two tops--to be able to murder someone and know exactly who to kill/where to dispose/how to avoid *not* being recognised? Even cities have communities and it only takes one person to go "oh last night there was this guy I've never seen before. Quite odd. Brown hair, red eyes, cold heart, tattoo saying i♥shovelin' on their forehead".

Police Detectives. They're, uh, kind of smart. Also they have many people studying endless footage of people and vehicles for 24-hours a day, 7 days a week.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:06 pm UTC

Definitely almost spit out some water at the name Stabby McDisembowler. Well played.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:09 pm UTC

Oh man, when we had a LOGD server, there was a guy named Stabbity McDeathstorm.

Good times.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:10 pm UTC

I bookmarked The Fishy Angler comic.

Spoiler:
People should be concerned about comedians taking center stage in politics. It demonstrates what a joke our political system has become.

I enjoyed listening to Colbert speak in Congress.

G, there is no act. I'm running through a maze trying to piece it together. Every time I think I'm close, here comes another box of pieces.

For example, it's impossible to reconcile moonlight safety speech, hotel guest, and a two tone color scheme. Are they friends, frenemies, or enemies? It's even more difficult considering I don't even know some of these people.

What do you know Cat?

Good question! I know that I'm not gonna work for or with the people who hired Fat bastard, Cleveland Brown, sank my sailboat, and tried to assert their will through terror and manipulation. What I really don't understand is how they think they can create something of value by employing these methods.

I'll finish my agreed upon contract and submit bids upon request. I won't entertain inaccurate thoughtless partisan drivel. That was a poor choice. Well, I went there to see if you wanted to talk. I did more than I should have. The management style didn't change. There is no one with whom I have a personal relationship.

If that's my only choice, the marshmallows are packed. Oh, there is only one bird left on the wire because the rest have completed their strafing run.
Last edited by The Cat on Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:13 pm UTC

Yes, but what about the guy on the bicycle? The old man walking down the street? You can check every camera in America, and there are many of them, and still miss all of that foot traffic. As smart as the detectives are, they are still limited on numbers.

The EGE wrote:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:22 pm UTC

That's also assuming the Killer's hitting places large enough to have cameras and such. There's gobs of town that are small enough to not really have any monitoring, yet close enough to various travel lanes that out of state traffic isn't remarkable.

I mean, I see Iowa, Nebraska, California, Oregon and so on license plates all the time here, in Kentucky. Granted, I am in a large city, but there's plenty of small towns in every direction with little to no monitoring where, again, an out-of-state plate isn't at all remarkable.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:23 pm UTC

We could split this off into a "planning the perfect serial killing spree" thread.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:26 pm UTC

The Beltway snipers took over three weeks to catch. And they were in one of the more densely populated parts of the country, with high-profile investigations trailing their high-profile asses, and it's not like they did the killing quietly or took all of the precautions you bunch of proto-criminals have mentioned. Still, first shooting was August 1st and they were arrested October 24th.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:27 pm UTC

How does one split a thread? Is it like splitting an atom? Because that'd be explodey, and it might end up bad. Because terrorists can make your computer into a bomb, you know. It goes boom, and kills fluffy. Poor fluffy. He's dead now because we wanted to play thread splitting.

The EGE wrote:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:29 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:The Beltway snipers took over three weeks to catch. And they were in one of the more densely populated parts of the country, with high-profile investigations trailing their high-profile asses, and it's not like they did the killing quietly or took all of the precautions you bunch of proto-criminals have mentioned. Still, first shooting was August 1st and they were arrested October 24th.
Didn't help that they had trouble finding the white van.

(That's a joke, see.. people reported seeing a white van. The actual vehicle used was more or less that.)

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:31 pm UTC

Mods split threads. So far as my knowledge extends, none of them have gone explodey yet. Some of them are raptors, though.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:35 pm UTC

We think we've established a link between the killings. The killer is killing someone every twenty-four hours. We've established the killer is most likely on a bicycle, due to the length of time needed to travel between killings, and we found bicycle tyre tracks at each of the scenes, and the guy's not using the same city twice.

Where's the next town you can reach on a bicycle within 24 hours?

Shanksville, sir.

Excellent. Monitor the road between Stabtowne and Shanksville for bicyclists. I think we use the APB for that. Also, as it's now considered a serial killer, the Federal Bureau of Central Intelligence and Army Guys have put all their resources into this. So get the popcorn and start the live satellite feed between here and Shanksville. With any luck, we can stop him before he reaches Needlegouge.

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:37 pm UTC

Man, it's times like this I regret moving to a town called Stabtowne.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:38 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:2. I ventured into the mall to try on jeggings. Conclusion: jeggings will work as the bottom half of Emma Frost's costume. Caveat: I need to start doing a shitload of crunches, or just starve myself for a couple of days before attempting to climb into that outfit. I see what you mean, Oregonaut. I'm 5'4", 108 pounds, and I was muffin-topping. What the hell.
I was under the impression that most people didn't wear them with a midriff, at least here. Well, you do see people occasionally wearing them with midriff, but I can only recall people who would be vaguely muffin-shaped in anything but high-waisted clothing...
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:40 pm UTC

See, everyone sees White Vans everywhere and assume that they're all filled to the rafters with Pedo John in clown suit. Every school kid gets the same instinctive fear of a white van with no windows. I believe it is conditioning.

You're assuming that there is only one town they can get to? Also, that he doesn't change up his mode of transportation. Hitchhikers are common, and hitchhikers with bikes who are nice people that are plain vanilla and quickly forgotten are also common.

(Edit: English Smother-Trucker, do you type it?)
Last edited by Oregonaut on Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

The EGE wrote:

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:57 pm UTC

Briareos wrote:Man, it's times like this I regret moving to a town called Stabtowne.

Are you currently being stabbed? That can't be good for your health.

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:02 pm UTC

I thought stabbing only hurt monkeys? There's this Youtube videoes I saw.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:04 pm UTC

Excuse me Mr. Jibbles, does this stabbing hurt you? On a pain scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the worst pain ever, what is your pain? Would you recommend this stabbing to a friend? Is there anything else this stabbing could have done to fulfill your needs?

The EGE wrote:

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:12 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:
Briareos wrote:Man, it's times like this I regret moving to a town called Stabtowne.

Are you currently being stabbed? That can't be good for your health.
I have found that the incidence of me getting stabbed has increased markedly. Serves me right for following a girl. (She stabbed me shortly after we arrived.)

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:16 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Wow...pick up the Resevoir Dogs soundtrack, it doesn't have much, if anything to do with the movie, but it is a great album.

I still haven't obtained the soundtrack, but this morning an obscure reference on a post on my FB led me to google "lime in a coconut" which led me to "Coconut." Random full circle achieved.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:20 pm UTC

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right--here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

And also I am currently in possession of your ear.
uhhhh fuck.

Kang

Postby Kang » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:27 pm UTC

@murder spree: It shall be noted that the possiblities of government agency are kindly exaggerated to ridiculous levels in movies/TV. I'm certain that even if you used your very own car for the whole thing it could theoretically be pulled off. The main barrier is the will to fully commit to it and maybe the internal inclinition to be stone cold enough.
After all, nobody prevents you from driving into a city, parking your car, proceeding on foot or by public transport, committing your crime (which, as the original idea was, is done in a traceless fashion without witnesses), visit a fancy shop, attend a meeting or see some friends, which will serve as an official purpose for your visit to town in case a connection to your car is made, and then just go home again. You might want to give it a rest for a while, though, after someone knocked on your door about your travel pattern.

MMM: The only thing keeping Dilbert from being a serial killer is his distaste for manual labour.

Return to “General”