Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ortus
Fluffy

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Pander to the Borg)

Postby Ortus » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:02 pm UTC

I need to make more money, but I love the two jobs I have... what do :(

Kitties!
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:17 pm UTC

This is the first time I've ever been drunk. It's mostly an experiment. This interesting thing is, fine motor skills are fine; I can still type and play the piano, but balance and general awareness are totally mangled.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:21 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:This is the first time I've ever been drunk. It's mostly an experiment. This interesting thing is, fine motor skills are fine; I can still type and play the piano, but balance and general awareness are totally mangled.

then you're not drunk enough....more experiment supplies!
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:22 pm UTC

...do... do you know who you could be? DRUNK PIANO PERSON! Please, please, before you sober up: get on chatroulette and do a drunk version of this. You could be famous.
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:42 pm UTC

How could I have forgotten avocado, the delicious green saturated fat from the gods!?

All this talk of tacos made me go get a burrito, I hope you're happy... because I am.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:44 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:This is the first time I've ever been drunk. It's mostly an experiment. This interesting thing is, fine motor skills are fine; I can still type and play the piano, but balance and general awareness are totally mangled.

I am the opposite. When I am drunk my general balance is pretty okay (as compared to other drunk people, anyway), but it'll take me twenty minutes to undo my shoelaces or type a sentence let alone trying to play the piano.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:05 pm UTC

It's no good I'm too drunk, but I've run out of wine. I'm just going to play Beethoven until I sober up.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

Gah. Team lead announces he's going on vacation, asks if we need work for next week (this week), I say "yes", he gives me three things to work on, I finish the first in an hour. Needless to say I am out of work to do (luckily one of them took most of yesterday).

What do I dooooooo. I could be really proactive or something and try to get work some other way... but... BLEEEEH.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:28 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:It's no good I'm too drunk, but I've run out of wine. I'm just going to play Beethoven until I sober up.

Listen: You, ISBR and I are all 18 now, we need a pubnight.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Mous

Postby Mous » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:38 pm UTC

I just learned that my last final is at 7:00 in the morning, the day after my 21st birthday.
That's okay.
Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:29 pm UTC

Mous wrote:I just learned that my last final is at 7:00 in the morning, the day after my 21st birthday.
That's okay.

That depends. How difficult is the final? I've had finals the day after my birthday (honestly, then anything before 16:00 is too early) and I could've passed them if they were written in Sumerian and base-pi.
Then again, there also were those times with weeks to prepare and me going: WHAT THE HELL! HOW DOES THIS EVEN WORK?!
--
In other news, just had a beer tasting. What I've (personally) learned: Small American (craft-)breweries make awesome beer!

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:42 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:In other news, just had a beer tasting. What I've (personally) learned: Small American (craft-)breweries make awesome beer!

FTFY. If its a small craft brewery, its going to taste AWESOME! (or horrible, in which case, they'd soon be a small bankrupt craft brewery)
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:14 pm UTC

I suppose, but if Budweiser, Miller and Coors are you're first American beer-experiences, it's depressing. Kinda like how Heineken is the most famous Dutch beer, but also one of the worst (Dutch) beers around.

But I'm slowly learning craft-breweries are awesome. I can also recommend the Belgian La Chouffe and the Scottish Black Isle Brewery.

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:20 pm UTC

WOW! NC Overrode Bev Perdue's veto which required Community colleges to allow Direct loans to students. They did it a couple of months before the new semester, allowing little time for students to make adjustments. What a bad taste! Any crops to pick? I could understand if the losses were too much. However, coming from a banking background, I know the bank sells bad debt for .10+ cents on the dollar and writes off the other 90% in federal taxes. They don't take the losses they would like you to believe, if any. Well, Bless their heart! Nice educated population, are you gonna eat that raw pork in the window? Better keep our labor breeding! Ride a bike through the country. I know exactly what we got here. Get in the car, were heading to North Carolina. Welcome to 1955! Goes hand n hand with "but we need th tourist money".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5XYLPzH ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEeF9r_8 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45V1Q_C2 ... re=related

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:27 am UTC

The German version of Montey Python's dead parrot sketch has the same actors, with their mouths moving like they're speaking English... but the camera angles are different, their physical behavior is different, and even the prop for the parrot is different. Why didn't they just use the same shots as the English version?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:33 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:The German version of Montey Python's dead parrot sketch has the same actors, with their mouths moving like they're speaking English... but the camera angles are different, their physical behavior is different, and even the prop for the parrot is different.

bwahahahahahahaha, I love that!

Also: I've got a pretty solid grasp of the English language, I've got many leather-bound books and such... but I just heard the professed 'King of krump' speak, and I... I just don't even know anymore.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:43 am UTC

ArgonV wrote:I suppose, but if Budweiser, Miller and Coors are you're first American beer-experiences, it's depressing. Kinda like how Heineken is the most famous Dutch beer, but also one of the worst (Dutch) beers around.

But I'm slowly learning craft-breweries are awesome. I can also recommend the Belgian La Chouffe and the Scottish Black Isle Brewery.

Most beer geeks that I talk with here in Denmark tend to say that Americans make the worst beer in the world. They also make the best beer in the world, but their worst are really awful, while the best are absolutely amazing.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:05 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:Unless she has a ridiculously uncommon name (something which is becoming less common all the time), it's likely it's not her?

After all, she is more likely to have died in a blogging accident.

my name is only me. there's a few with name-my first name-our last name. but i'm pretty much all of it on google. and it's pretty easy to filter out the chinese stuff. i'm also the only person with this user name.
tastelikecoke wrote:
Felstaff wrote:(something which is becoming less common all the time)
I sometimes wonder where people's creativity go. Why the hell would you want your child be named "John"? So he can easily evade identity theft?
actually similar names make it easier for identity theft. my mom has trouble all the time with people of the same name at the same bank.
Ulc wrote:Hell, I'm reasonably sure that anyone that cared to do it, could find my real identity (though probably not my address) just from the information that I've let slip on this forum.
there used to be a thread for this
ArgonV wrote:
Mous wrote:I just learned that my last final is at 7:00 in the morning, the day after my 21st birthday.
That's okay.

That depends. How difficult is the final? I've had finals the day after my birthday (honestly, then anything before 16:00 is too early) and I could've passed them if they were written in Sumerian and base-pi.
Then again, there also were those times with weeks to prepare and me going: WHAT THE HELL! HOW DOES THIS EVEN WORK?!
it also depends on your type of hangover. cause i went in hungover for the SAT and got the highest score of my class. where the 'class genius,' who was also hungover, failed.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:52 am UTC

suffer-cait wrote:
Felstaff wrote:Unless she has a ridiculously uncommon name (something which is becoming less common all the time), it's likely it's not her?

After all, she is more likely to have died in a blogging accident.

my name is only me. there's a few with name-my first name-our last name. but i'm pretty much all of it on google.

Well, Caitlin Kniffelhaus is a particularly rare name.

In other news, I want one of those old-fashioned tanned leather stitched dice cups like they use in Kniffel/Yahtzee/Yacht. It makes me think of clandestine huddled gamblers playing street-dice in some Sumerian back alley, six thousand years ago.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:56 am UTC

Googling my name with quotes returns 6 results, all of them are about me.

I have an unusual name.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:17 am UTC

Barely anybody in my first-to-third grade classes in Texas could properly spell my name, "Rizqi". Don't even get me started on the rest of my name.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Deep_Thought

Postby Deep_Thought » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:19 am UTC

I thought I had an unusual name, then managed to go to university with someone with an identical name.

What are the odds?

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:25 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Googling my name with quotes returns 6 results, all of them are about me.

Make that 10! I have a weird name too. Most people call me Jerusalem jokingly, but at least it's better than a nickname of Dick (no offense).

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:26 am UTC

I know for a fact that I'm the only one in my country with my first name.

And it's probably gonna stay that way for a long time, since a few other spelling variations of my name is on the prohibited list, meaning that my parents had to argue a lot with people to get me to have that name.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:34 am UTC

Deep_Thought wrote:I thought I had an unusual name, then managed to go to university with someone with an identical name:

What Are The Odds

You're right; that is a very unusual name!
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Deep_Thought

Postby Deep_Thought » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:51 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:
What Are The Odds

You're right; that is a very unusual name!

You realise I'm going to have to name my future child that now, don't you? Now is that a traditional male or female name?

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:08 am UTC

grrr, first two results for googling my name are someone at Ulster uni WITH A DIFFERENT SPELLING. Christ, Google.

@Third @link @is @my @twitter #account though yay. Actually, two of the top five are meeeeeeee! ME ME ME ME MEIAMGREAT!
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:15 am UTC

Deep_Thought wrote:I thought I had an unusual name, then managed to go to university with someone with an identical name.

What are the odds?

At uni, sometimes the people with my name would come up in lectures. It was very disconcerting. ("HUH? Oh, not me...")
One of them is a professor at De Montfort University, so if I'd gone there, that would have been weird.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Mapar

Postby Mapar » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:24 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:It used to be, when you googled my name, you'd almost only find results related to me. Then suddenly using the internet for cool people with laptops in cafes and people started created blogs and crap and now my name is barely even on the first page on google.

When you google me, you get a sex-symbolish ballet dancer. Then a pro swimmer. Then some nerd asking a question about compiler optimization.
Guess which?

Apparently my name is unique. 8 pages of shit related only to me. (googling my legal name)
Hi.

fizzgig

Postby fizzgig » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:56 am UTC

Ulc wrote:I know for a fact that I'm the only one in my country with my first name.

And it's probably gonna stay that way for a long time, since a few other spelling variations of my name is on the prohibited list, meaning that my parents had to argue a lot with people to get me to have that name.

What kinds of names get prohibited? Was whoever writes these lists worried that you would get teased at school or something?

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:57 am UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Googling my name with quotes returns 6 results, all of them are about me.

Make that 10! I have a weird name too. Most people call me Jerusalem jokingly, but at least it's better than a nickname of Dick (no offense).

In my case, it's because I have a double barrelled surname. Each part isn't that rare, but nobody else has my particular combination of names.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:23 pm UTC

a_fuzzyduck wrote:grrr, first two results for googling my name are someone at Ulster uni WITH A DIFFERENT SPELLING. Christ, Google.

@Third @link @is @my @twitter #account though yay. Actually, two of the top five are meeeeeeee! ME ME ME ME MEIAMGREAT!

Google has gotten really shitty as of late. It disregards half your search terms if you don't prefix them with + and takes really bizarre liberties in interpreting your query.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

woddfellow2

Postby woddfellow2 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:52 pm UTC

I know... Just today, I searched for a query containing the word "tries", and it changed it to "wants". If I wanted to search for that, I would have typed that in my original query. I am tired of Google Web Search insulting my intelligence by changing my search queries.

Also, I was viewing my own Facebook profile, and I saw that I had liked a page that I did not remember liking, nor did I intend to like that page. I immediately unliked it and posted a status update something to the effect of "What the? Another page I do not remember liking?". It needs to ask for confirmation when someone tries to like a page! >_>
1-Crawl 2-Cnfg 3-ATF 4-Exit ?

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:05 pm UTC

I feel like a little kid again - I've got a book I want to read but I'm stuck doing something else. So I'm at work, sneaking off to the bathroom with the book, staying as long as I think is non suspicious. Geeze, I thought my days of reading under the desk and in the bathroom or in the closet were over! The odd thing is, I'm strangely happy about this.

(My mother would ration books for me, especially in the summer and wouldn't allow me to read if I hadn't done my chores or cleaned my room. My mother volunteers at a camp for a week in the summer and would bring me along as a 'mascot' as I was far too young to stay at home and also too young to attend the camp. One summer when I was going into 1st grade, my mom bought the first 7 or so Boxcar Children books to the camp. I was only allowed one new book a day and everyone thought this was hilarious.)

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:15 pm UTC

:lol: This reminds me of all those physics lessons I spent reading Ian Banks because I'd already done the work and my teacher was like "Tanya, just keep reading, you probably don't need to be here". Good times.

natraj

Postby natraj » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:28 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:In other news, I want one of those old-fashioned tanned leather stitched dice cups like they use in Kniffel/Yahtzee/Yacht. It makes me think of clandestine huddled gamblers playing street-dice in some Sumerian back alley, six thousand years ago.

If I used leather I would want to play zombie dice from this.

Also googling my name in quotes gets ~175 results. All but three of them actually have to do with me and of the other three, two are random lists of words and one page gets me a server error so I don't know what it is but it seemed like more randomness.

My name as a name is rare; at least I've never met or heard of anyone else with my first name, but my last name is reasonably common in India and my first name is a normal English word, just not one that is usually used as a name. Independently they are both common but together they apparently pretty much only make me!
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:36 pm UTC

I found myself in a job listing when searching for my name in strings. How odd.

Deep_Thought

Postby Deep_Thought » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:36 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote::lol: This reminds me of all those physics lessons I spent reading Ian Banks because I'd already done the work and my teacher was like "Tanya, just keep reading, you probably don't need to be here". Good times.

As someone who is right now reading Surface Detail I approve of this message.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:36 pm UTC

natraj wrote:If I used leather I would want to play zombie dice from this.

One of uuuuussssssssssssss?
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

It Should Be Real
Ninja Sauce Container

Postby It Should Be Real » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:29 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:Listen: You, ISBR and I are all 18 now, we need a pubnight.

*wakes from fora-hibernation at the mention of the word pub* Alright, I'm awake now. One of you start filling me with perry. *squint*

Return to “General”