Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ortus
Fluffy

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Pander to the Borg)

Postby Ortus » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:39 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:Wil Wheaton has cake for genitalia?

Other way around, actually.

ITT: Magnanimous' avatar is NSFW.
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:58 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:

ITT: You, sir, name? doesn't understand how dresses work.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Don't see anything, draw the conclusion that appeals to me the most.

Here is a photo of Wil Wheaton and Felicia Day about an hour later.

So yeah, strapless dress. I prefer these theories about toplessness and cake genitals though.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:18 am UTC

She clearly put on the strapless dress after the topless photo.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:14 am UTC

When news articles quote that 'change XYZ would reduce the cost to the government / health service by N billion dollars per year', are they accurate?

For example, I was reading a New York Times Magazine article which was saying some huge amount of money could be saved by slapping a higher tax on unhealthy foods and subsidising healthier foodstuffs; that saving is calculated, I think, based on no change other than a reduction in treatment costs for things like diabetes and heart disease. But if people aren't dying from heart disease and heart attacks, then (a) they'll die from something else, possibly cancer, which may be even more costly to treat; and (b) they'll live longer, thereby requiring more governmental support in their old age once they have retired.

I'm curious how big these effects are, but calculating it would probably be very difficult. If you have a potentially terminal disease which kills people relatively quickly and is reasonably cheap to treat, then preventing people from getting it would surely increase your healthcare costs, rather than decrease them, as people die from more expensive things.

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:43 am UTC

Oh, this reminds me: there's this new Pop Tarts commercial, right? I can't find it on the YouTubes, but uh... guys, I thought we were past token black families and watermelons?
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:00 pm UTC

I think this is rather brilliant:
Hah
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:01 pm UTC

Ortus wrote:Oh, this reminds me: there's this new Pop Tarts commercial, right? I can't find it on the YouTubes, but uh... guys, I thought we were past token black families and watermelons?

It's not racist because the writers of that commercial have at least one black friend. /sarcasm

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:45 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:
Ortus wrote:Oh, this reminds me: there's this new Pop Tarts commercial, right? I can't find it on the YouTubes, but uh... guys, I thought we were past token black families and watermelons?

It's not racist because the writers of that commercial have at least one black friend. /sarcasm

Ok, question. I had never heard of this "black people eat watermelon" until last year. When did this become a 'thing'? How is it racist (seriously asking here, I'm just really confused about the whole thing as I just hadn't heard about it)? Is it any more racist than saying German people like pretzels or the Irish love their cabbage and potatoes? I really am confused here and trying to understand.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:52 pm UTC

I'd say it's about the same thing as your examples, since it's a stereotype concerning food preference. Only difference is that your examples are concerning ethnicity, and the watermelon one is concerning race. That and the fact that black people were and are more discriminated makes the stereotype more ... hurtful? I can't think of the right word to fit there.

I also had not heard about the watermelon thing till two years ago when suddenly I saw a lot of jokes about it. Same with KFC.
Last edited by Zarq on Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:54 pm UTC

It was a huge thing a while back.
You can do a google image search for "black watermelon" and for "german pretzel" and see what the images look like to get a nice visual representation of the kinds of connotations the associations have.

... actually, that just gets you black watermelons. They have them now! So search for nigger watermelon or negro watermelon? And maybe compare them to nazi kraut or nazi pretzel. Maybe nazi beer. Worth a look.

They are not equivalent.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:01 pm UTC

Watermelon and fried chicken tie into the blackface sterotype and it is indeed quite old.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:12 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:Ok, question. I had never heard of this "black people eat watermelon" until last year. When did this become a 'thing'? How is it racist (seriously asking here, I'm just really confused about the whole thing as I just hadn't heard about it)? Is it any more racist than saying German people like pretzels or the Irish love their cabbage and potatoes? I really am confused here and trying to understand.
When? I dunno.. 1730? It pretty much rolls back to the slavery and post-slavery days. Blacks ate whatever they could afford, which wasn't a lot. And sure, so did a lot of poor white folks, but at the time... The thought at the time was - see a poor white guy eating Watermelon? He's poor. See a poor black guy eating Watermelon? Those blacks sure must love it!

See Also: Fried Chicken, Kool-Aid and Grape Soda.
Oh, and this but you were probably already thinking of it anyway.

As for how racist it is... I don't really know if there's a scale I can point to and say "Oh, it's rated at 7.46 Dukes" Sufficed to say, I'd make a potato joke to an Irish friend long before I'd make a watermelon joke to a black friend.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:31 pm UTC

Screech:

Writing a CV sucks. I can never tell if I'm good at something or think I am and I'm actually crap; and to find out I'd need to ask the people I work with which would mean explaining why I needed to know....

I might start a company that evaluates how good people are at stuff and then help them put it in their CV.

Although I bet it's been done somewhere...

Bah.
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:30 pm UTC

Ahhh, ok. It just confused me because I knew that traditional 'southern food' was "Black" but wasn't terribly offensive (fried chicken, cornbread, etc.) unless you make it that way as it also has that ethnicity thing with being from the south, and not necessarily Black. (Note that I could be underestimating the offensiveness of that, but if I saw a KFC ad that happened to have a black family heartily enjoying chicken, I don't think I'd find that offensive, but I am very, very white and therefore privileged in this case.)

Haven't seen the poptart commercial so I can't comment on that.

I guess I was really confused as my mom's side are mostly farmers and are typical farmers in that they eat what they grow and what's in season. The first time my dad ate at my maternal grandparents' house, they had muskmelon for desert and gave everyone a quarter of the melon. My dad was a little surprised. :wink: Still, you eat what you got when it's ripe. And frankly, melon is freaking delicious!

So, basically, I guess I just didn't see how it could be a 'black stereotype'. Thanks for clearing that up.

Now I want watermelon.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:34 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
KestrelLowing wrote:Ok, question. I had never heard of this "black people eat watermelon" until last year. When did this become a 'thing'? How is it racist (seriously asking here, I'm just really confused about the whole thing as I just hadn't heard about it)? Is it any more racist than saying German people like pretzels or the Irish love their cabbage and potatoes? I really am confused here and trying to understand.
When? I dunno.. 1730? It pretty much rolls back to the slavery and post-slavery days. Blacks ate whatever they could afford, which wasn't a lot. And sure, so did a lot of poor white folks, but at the time... The thought at the time was - see a poor white guy eating Watermelon? He's poor. See a poor black guy eating Watermelon? Those blacks sure must love it!

Kestrel, I think it's kind of an Americanism. I was never aware of watermelon and fried chicken stereotypes, and largely miss why they're a "thing". I was trying to think if there's some kind of equivalent offensive stereotype in England, and I think that might well be something like the general idea that "x minority smells like x" or "all people from x country are gypsies" (and general derogatory use of the word "gypsy"). Maybe the best equivalent would be the stipulation that Indian people smell of curry? I think most of our most evident racism tends to be thrown at people of Indian or Arabian descent, or people from Eastern Europe. That's not to say it doesn't happen to other groups, it's just a little less familiar. It really depends a lot on the ethnic make-up of the place you live in and/or grew up in that will determine what kinds of offensive stereotypes you're familiar with.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:39 pm UTC

My personal impression is that the "blacks and watermelons" stereotype is specifically recalling the slavery days, when they were sometimes portrayed as primitive and childlike beings who took delight in their poor foods. Perhaps that's why it's subtly more offensive than Irish and potatoes, because there isn't the slavery baggage associated with it.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:53 pm UTC

I feel horrible here, but am I the only person who has found that a good majority of the Indian people I've met do smell different and it's sometimes not so nice? Perhaps it's just because the only Indian people I tend to meet are grad students and grad students don't exactly have the best reputation for being overly concerned about personal hygiene.

I always got the impression it was because they ate particularly strong foods unlike my pathetic northern European taste-buds that can't manage too much black pepper!

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:58 pm UTC

Some foods like garlic, alcohol or curry you can cause some bad odor from people's pores.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:00 pm UTC

Kestrel, you should also consider the idea that perhaps you smell funny to the Indian students. People who live in different environments with different foods, clothing, and genetics are going to have different smells. When I was small and associated primarily with my Chinese parents and Chinese families, most Americans smelled like cheese to me.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:03 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:I feel horrible here, but am I the only person who has found that a good majority of the Indian people I've met do smell different and it's sometimes not so nice? Perhaps it's just because the only Indian people I tend to meet are grad students and grad students don't exactly have the best reputation for being overly concerned about personal hygiene.

I always got the impression it was because they ate particularly strong foods unlike my pathetic northern European taste-buds that can't manage too much black pepper!
If it makes you feel any better, you smell to them too.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

I hope I smell like jalapeno cheddar cheese. That's one of my favorites.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:22 pm UTC

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:30 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:I feel horrible here, but am I the only person who has found that a good majority of the Indian people I've met do smell different and it's sometimes not so nice? Perhaps it's just because the only Indian people I tend to meet are grad students and grad students don't exactly have the best reputation for being overly concerned about personal hygiene.

You are not the only one. I suppose my sample size is fairly small, but I have noticed that exchange students in particular did not have the best...hygiene? Scent? Whatever.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Just being around 'mericans in subways, elevators or buses I find that people smell, foreign or not.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:37 pm UTC

I am vaguely offended by this. Really, personal hygiene has far more to do with the attitude of the individual and less to do with them not coming from wherever you come from.
SecondTalon wrote:

If it makes you feel any better, you smell to them too.
Everyone smells to everyone. When you start making generalisations, that's when you're swimming toward the murky realms of racism.
broken_escalator wrote:Just being around 'mericans in subways, elevators or buses I find that people smell, foreign or not.
Exactly, my less functional friend!

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:04 pm UTC

I'd just like to point out that elevators are the worst for bodily smells. You can hardly trap a fart inside an escalator, even if it just temporarily stairs.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:54 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:I'd just like to point out that elevators are the worst for bodily smells. You can hardly trap a fart inside an escalator, even if it just temporarily stairs.

Is that a challenge?
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:00 pm UTC

Maybe you can't trap a fart in an escalator, but you can create a fart cloud for people to unwittingly move into as they are conveyed on the moving stairs?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:03 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Kestrel, you should also consider the idea that perhaps you smell funny to the Indian students. People who live in different environments with different foods, clothing, and genetics are going to have different smells. When I was small and associated primarily with my Chinese parents and Chinese families, most Americans smelled like cheese to me.

Huh! I find this fascinating. I wonder if that's because Americans typically eat tons of dairy. I wonder what all the diets in the world make people smell like. I had just assumed it was particularly spicy foods that would have an effect. It appears I'm wrong.

existential_elevator wrote:I am vaguely offended by this. Really, personal hygiene has far more to do with the attitude of the individual and less to do with them not coming from wherever you come from.
Everyone smells to everyone. When you start making generalisations, that's when you're swimming toward the murky realms of racism.
broken_escalator wrote:Just being around 'mericans in subways, elevators or buses I find that people smell, foreign or not.
Exactly, my less functional friend!

I'm sorry for offending you. Things like personal hygiene are very personal :wink: and totally vary from person to person. I'm sorry for saying Indian people smell funny. I was just wondering if I had run into some particularly dirty people or if diet really was a factor (I'm really not fond of Indian cuisine, and that may be why the difference in odor isn't particularly pleasant to me).

But yes, people in general smell. And everyone smells a bit different. But I don't think that some of the differences in smell due to diet are completely fabricated. For me, people who eat a typical Indian diet smell different from people who eat a typical American diet. Obviously, I default to the American diet not having any smell, simply because I'm used to it. Also, people who eat a typical Chinese diet do smell just a bit different as well, although I'm fairly fond of Chinese food (at least the Americanized version of it) so perhaps that's why the difference isn't as stark to me.

Sorry, I'm really not trying to offend anyone or be racist, but I am interested in the chemistry of the thing.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:26 pm UTC

You might be interested in the chemical breakdown of food. For instance, choline heavy foods will make some nasty smells. Or red meat since it is kinda hard to digest. Also some sugar substitutes (like in gum) are not fully digested and when the bacteria gets to it you'll get gas.

doogly wrote:
broken_escalator wrote:I'd just like to point out that elevators are the worst for bodily smells. You can hardly trap a fart inside an escalator, even if it just temporarily stairs.

Is that a challenge?

Yes. :twisted:

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:54 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:You might be interested in the chemical breakdown of food. For instance, choline heavy foods will make some nasty smells. Or red meat since it is kinda hard to digest. Also some sugar substitutes (like in gum) are not fully digested and when the bacteria gets to it you'll get gas.

doogly wrote:

Is that a challenge?

Yes. :twisted:

oh man, i had to ban my wife from eating anything with xylotol in it. especially when she tried the atkins diet.....the dogs would leave the room
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:56 pm UTC

Combine that with the fact that different people metabolise chemicals at slightly different rates. It may be that a race's genetics make their metabolisms better at breaking down particular chemicals. An extreme example is Trimethylaminuria, a rare genetic disease which results in a build up of the chemical which is the main constituent of the rotten fish smell until it seeps out of your pores.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:05 am UTC

I think the 'different cultures smelling different' thing is probably primarily a diet effect, with genetics as a secondary (but not insignificant) factor. I guess it could be a hygiene thing too. It's definitely true, though, to a fairly large extent. It may be a stereotype based on race, but I'm not sure you can call it racist. I mean, if I say that 'indian people look different from white people' that's in no way racist.

Different races have different characteristics. These are very obvious visually, but there's no reason to think there wouldn't be subtle differences in the biochemistry which cause them to have different smells as well, especially if they've adapted to eat different foodstuffs for the past several thousand years. After all, olfactory senses are really very sensitive to small biochemical changes.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:08 am UTC

People from foreign countries smell weird to the same extent that people from foreign countries have weird accents, while everyone local talks normal. Except of course that scents are more subtle than speech.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:23 am UTC

phlip wrote:People from foreign countries smell weird to the same extent that people from foreign countries have weird accents, while everyone local talks normal. Except of course that scents are more subtle than speech.

That's a far better analogy than the one I made :D

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:37 am UTC

Spoiler:
Day Day, Day Day Day Day, Day Day Day Day, D-Day Day Day Day.
:P

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:51 am UTC

Ivora wrote:
Spoiler:
:P

I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:52 am UTC

I've been eating like crazy since Friday... I don't know why I'm so hungry all the time all of a sudden.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:25 pm UTC

I imagine your body uses up a lot of food when you fly through space on rainbow power.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:58 pm UTC

Screech: Jesus invented stack memory. "The first shall be last and the last shall be first"

Return to “General”