Thoughts for ships

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Feddlefew

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby Feddlefew » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:59 pm UTC

phlip wrote:
Steax wrote:I think I'll just leave the third field blank with a plain textbox. ... Why didn't I think of this before?

Like this? I think that could work...
gender.png

That's sex... :(
My spelling is abysmal. Just saying.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:07 am UTC

How so? I was under the impression that male/female/otter could be used for gender or sex.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Feddlefew

Postby Feddlefew » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:31 am UTC

It might just be me- I tend to seperate sex and gender to the point where I only use Male / Female as a designation of biological sex, rather than both. I think of feminine / masculine as the gender words.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:36 am UTC

See, for me, male/female and woman/man can all be applied to either gender or sex (though usually imply gender unless context implies otherwise), while masculine/feminine apply more to individual traits and gender roles.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Feddlefew

Postby Feddlefew » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:41 am UTC

It's a sticky problem- you can't win because any choice you pick will offend / confuse someone.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:42 am UTC

Feddlefew wrote:It might just be me- I tend to seperate sex and gender to the point where I only use Male / Female as a designation of biological sex, rather than both. I think of feminine / masculine as the gender words.

I'm not a native speaker but for me masculine and feminine describe traits of a person and someone who considers himself male doesn't need to be masculine and the same goes for female and feminine. A link on the last page used masculine/feminine for expression which seems to fit for me.

Feddlefew

Postby Feddlefew » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:44 am UTC

PeteP wrote:
Feddlefew wrote:It might just be me- I tend to seperate sex and gender to the point where I only use Male / Female as a designation of biological sex, rather than both. I think of feminine / masculine as the gender words.

I'm not a native speaker but for me masculine and feminine describe traits of a person and someone who considers himself male doesn't need to be masculine and the same goes for female and feminine. A link on the last page used masculine/feminine for expression which seems to fit for me.

This is basically how I feel about it, and the link was really good.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:13 am UTC

phlip wrote:
Steax wrote:I think I'll just leave the third field blank with a plain textbox. ... Why didn't I think of this before?

Like this? I think that could work...
gender.png

Yeah, I'm going with this model. I've decided on Male/Female for the other two because of a direct client request, and because it's mostly globally understood (masculine/feminine raised some questions among communities with less fluent English). I think this is a good middle ground. Thanks everyone.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

dumbzebra

Postby dumbzebra » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:00 pm UTC

Memebase is a terrible, terrible place.
Why do I keep coming back to it?
As the great philosopher Socrates once said: "No."

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

So, I am a professional, grade-A moron.

On Friday, I bought a 35-dollar train ticket. I realized last night that I did not know where the ticket was.

After an hour of searching my dorm room, I found it... in the laundry room. Because I'd happened to pick up a copy of the Amtrak schedule and tuck the ticket inside, no one took it. In three days.

(What I figured out was, I came back from buying the ticket and rushed to eat dinner before the dining hall closed. On my way back to my room, I realized I had laundry left in the washer. I went to move it to the dryer... and put my ticket down.)
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:31 pm UTC

dumbzebra wrote:Memebase is a terrible, terrible place.

Use KYM, or encyclopediadramatica.ch (nsfw).

dumbzebra

Postby dumbzebra » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:48 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
dumbzebra wrote:Memebase is a terrible, terrible place.

Use KYM, or encyclopediadramatica.ch (nsfw).

KYM is made by the same idiots that make memebase, and ED is made by 4chan douchebags.
As the great philosopher Socrates once said: "No."

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:53 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:So long as the information isn't really needed except on an individual level (like a Name, basically), then a Textbox is fine. If you're trying to get statistical data on unmarried males between 18 and 25 who live in this particular area, then a textbox may not work just due to the number of ways one can identify as Male. Male, Man, Boy, Guy, Dude, Dick-Wielder, Lord Guy Dickwielder Maleboy the Man, and so on.

you could just have those names resolve to either "male" or "female"
although it may get complex if someone makes a typo and gets assigned to the wrong gender.

who knew this could be such a complex issue?

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:57 pm UTC

You have no idea. However, this may help: http://transgenderartist.blogspot.com/2 ... erson.html
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:05 pm UTC

now i don't know what to think or say anymore. this is beyond my experience.

how does everyone usually avoid offending people like this?
cuz i have a feeling if i don't keep my mouth shut im gonna start a flame war on myself.

Kang

Postby Kang » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:07 pm UTC

Keeping ones mouth shut when topics one has no idea about come up usually isn't the worst of tactics.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:08 pm UTC

Tomlidich wrote:you could just have those names resolve to either "male" or "female"
although it may get complex if someone makes a typo and gets assigned to the wrong gender.

A lot of trans people on the forums know how complex an issue it is. It's like we have to navigate that complexity as part of who we are, and then deal with the rest of the world's cissexism because they haven't dealt with it.

Not trying to be snarky. I really am not. But, it is a really fucking complex issue that might require a little more thought on your part. Please do that thinking.

Edit: Uh, it's easy to not offend people like me. Ask me how I want to be referred to and stick to it.
note: the "people like this" are people on these forums.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:10 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:
Tomlidich wrote:you could just have those names resolve to either "male" or "female"

A lot of trans people on the forums know how complex an issue it is. It's like we have to navigate that complexity as part of who we are, and then deal with the rest of the world's cissexism because they haven't dealt with it.

Not trying to be snarky. I really am not. But, it is a really fucking complex issue that might require a little more thought on your part. Please do that thinking.

Edit: Uh, it's easy to not offend people like me. Ask me how I want to be referred to and stick to it.
note: the "people like this" are people on these forums.

ah christ, i even offended someone by trying to NOT offend someone.

I APOLOGIZE FOR EVERYTHING.

i really do not want to be offensive, i am fine with you how you are, its your choice, and i accept you. did i leave anything out?

edit: also, i have ALOT of thinking to do about the world.

Windowlicker

Postby Windowlicker » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:12 pm UTC

Kang wrote:Keeping ones mouth shut when topics one has no idea about come up usually isn't the worst of tactics.

This is what I was going to say. Lurk way more would be my suggestion.

Also to turn into dick mode a little.. Tom, do you remember about an hour and a half ago when four (that's 4) different people told you to start typing/talking properly? That counts in every thread, not just that one. The punctuation is slightly better, but either the shift or capslock keys can be utilised to make your posts far more readable.

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:13 pm UTC

The alot of thinking looks quite a lot like its cousin, the alot of mist.
Spoiler:
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:16 pm UTC

Tomlidich, for many their gender isn't a choice, any more than being gay is a choice. Understand that and you are well on your way. I know you don't want to offend anyone, but your best defence in that regard is being willing to learn. Lurking and reading is a great way to get information on this subject at zero risk of offence, but perhaps this can give you some flavour: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Sex_and_I/
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:17 pm UTC

Windowlicker wrote:
Also to turn into dick mode a little.. Tom, do you remember about an hour and a half ago when four (that's 4) different people told you to start typing/talking properly? That counts in every thread, not just that one. The punctuation is slightly better, but either the shift or capslock keys can be utilised to make your posts far more readable.

Sorry, just had to get that apology out before I did any real damage, and had no time to self correct my grammar.

Red Hal wrote:Tomlidich, for many their gender isn't a choice, any more than being gay is a choice. Understand that and you are well on your way. I know you don't want to offend anyone, but your best defence in that regard is being willing to learn. Lurking and reading is a great way to get information on this subject at zero risk of offence, but perhaps this can give you some flavour: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Sex_and_I/

Link doesn't work for me, something about not being available outside the UK.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:44 pm UTC

You didn't offend me. I'm just mentioning that talking about people as if they aren't around can be kind of mean to those people. I don't care, because I knew you probably meant well, and it was really minor.

I'm glad you're trying to do better. Keep up the good work.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

ginadagny

Postby ginadagny » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:46 pm UTC

I just had the most intense job interview of my life.

They called me yesterday to come in at 7 AM today. The interview lasted an hour and the nurse manager & educator asked me 12 pages of questions. I know I fucked up on the first question but I answered the rest with little/no problems. I'm proud of myself for keeping my cool the whole time. I find out in a week if I get it. Fingers crossed!

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:55 pm UTC

ginadagny wrote:I just had the most intense job interview of my life.

They called me yesterday to come in at 7 AM today. The interview lasted an hour and the nurse manager & educator asked me 12 pages of questions. I know I fucked up on the first question but I answered the rest with little/no problems. I'm proud of myself for keeping my cool the whole time. I find out in a week if I get it. Fingers crossed!

Wow that does sound intense! Good luck! :D

Obby

Postby Obby » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:57 pm UTC

ginadagny wrote:I just had the most intense job interview of my life.

Do interviews in the nursing profession differ from elsewhere? Or is this simply how this particular place works? I know in my job, most interviewers are more concerned with your ability to act composed under unfamiliar circumstances and your ability to communicate, rather than focusing on an ability to recite information at will. That's how I got my current job: my boss told me I was much more personable than most of the other candidates that he interviewed.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:10 pm UTC

Tomlidich wrote:
Windowlicker wrote:

Sorry, just had to get that apology out before I did any real damage, and had no time to self correct my grammar.

Red Hal wrote:Tomlidich, for many their gender isn't a choice, any more than being gay is a choice. Understand that and you are well on your way. I know you don't want to offend anyone, but your best defence in that regard is being willing to learn. Lurking and reading is a great way to get information on this subject at zero risk of offence, but perhaps this can give you some flavour: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Sex_and_I/

Link doesn't work for me, something about not being available outside the UK.

It might be worth noting that I specifically brought up the topic in this particular context (and proceeded to span a couple pages), so it might hint you that it is, indeed, a "complex issue".

I'm glad you're being open about it, though!
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

ginadagny

Postby ginadagny » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:15 pm UTC

Thanks Tom!

Obby wrote:Do interviews in the nursing profession differ from elsewhere? Or is this simply how this particular place works? I know in my job, most interviewers are more concerned with your ability to act composed under unfamiliar circumstances and your ability to communicate, rather than focusing on an ability to recite information at will. That's how I got my current job: my boss told me I was much more personable than most of the other candidates that he interviewed.

I should have specified a bit more about my interview - they asked me a lot of scenario-based questions. Example - "What would you do if you think one of your patients is having increasing intracranial pressure? What would you look for?". They also asked questions that are pretty standard in any interview, like "What are your strengths? How do you deal with conflict?".

The thing with nursing is that you have to have a lot of concrete knowledge to practice safely, and managers want nurses who have good critical thinking skills. The interviewers also care about the personality of each candidate. The nursing profession has a lot of problems with bullying, and they should be hiring personable candidates.

Kang

Postby Kang » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:16 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:You didn't offend me. I'm just mentioning that talking about people as if they aren't around can be kind of mean to those people. I don't care, because I knew you probably meant well, and it was really minor.

I'm glad you're trying to do better. Keep up the good work.

I believe the gender question is one for which this is a problem throughout society, mostly thanks to the fact that any answers to the question other than 'male' or 'female' have been systematically pushed right out of the public field of vision for centuries. I know that I'm guilty of a complete lack of consideration quite often, despite obvious evidence of your existance (your as in the whole transgendered community's).

Obby

Postby Obby » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:30 pm UTC

Just applied for my degree! Woot!

Now let's hope I don't royally fuck up my senior year... It shouldn't be too difficult, I only need to take about 15 credits next term and in the spring term in order to be over the 192 credit minimum in June (taking 13 credits this term, I feel kind of pathetic considering 12 is the minimum required to be a full time student lol).
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:32 pm UTC

Obby wrote:Just applied for my degree! Woot!

Now let's hope I don't royally fuck up my senior year... It shouldn't be too difficult, I only need to take about 15 credits next term and in the spring term in order to be over the 192 credit minimum in June (taking 13 credits this term, I feel kind of pathetic considering 12 is the minimum required to be a full time student lol).

Good job, smiley mustard and ketchup plate man!
XD

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:02 pm UTC

Tomlidich wrote:also, i have ALOT of thinking to do about the world.
It's great that you realize that.

While your doing all that thinking, you might also try Kang's advice, and stop posting about topics you don't actually understand.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

ginadagny

Postby ginadagny » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:12 pm UTC

ginadagny wrote:(Stuff about my job interview) I find out in a week if I get it. Fingers crossed!

I had my interview at 7 AM this morning and I just received a phone call (its now 1PM) from the manager offering me the full time position.

I accepted.

*happy dance*

Kang

Postby Kang » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:13 pm UTC

Hooray for ginadagny!

Also, gmalivuk, would you please remind me of my splendid advice the next time I blatantly ignore it?

fizzgig

Postby fizzgig » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:22 pm UTC

ginadagny wrote:
ginadagny wrote:(Stuff about my job interview) I find out in a week if I get it. Fingers crossed!

I had my interview at 7 AM this morning and I just received a phone call (its now 1PM) from the manager offering me the full time position.

I accepted.

*happy dance*

That's awesome, congratulations!
I had an interview back in September and I still haven't heard back about it. Damn public service :-(

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:04 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:

While your doing all that thinking, you might also try Kang's advice, and stop posting about topics you don't actually understand.

I would apply your advice, but there are no topics I don't understand.
What to do?

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:27 pm UTC

I don't want to watch a movie that has been playing more than 5 minutes before I started watching. Because if I like the movie enough that I want to see it completely, I wouldn't be able to enjoy the parts I had seen before as much if I hadn't seen them. Same goes with movies I already have seen, and want to rewatch in the near future.
Just sayin'.
Ptolom wrote:penis

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:48 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:

I would apply your advice, but there are no topics I don't understand.
What to do?
There's only thing to do in that situation. Prove it :D
Ⓞⓞ◯

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:35 pm UTC

But be careful: if there does prove to be a topic you don't understand, you'll also prove you don't understand yourself, thus losing the right to post about yourself at all.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:38 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:But be careful: if there does prove to be a topic you don't understand, you'll also prove you don't understand yourself, thus losing the right to post about yourself at all.

I don't follow you there?

Return to “General”