Thoughts for ships

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3166
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby emceng » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:39 pm UTC

Bought a replacement remote for this particular stereo - RCA RS 2052. Thinking maybe the stereo IR receiver isn't working. I'm technically gifted enough to rip it open, but that's going to be a ton of effort.

But I'm also going to be pissed about this. 90% of the stereo functions can only be controlled with the remote. Plus, this will make it 3 partially functioning stereos I have in my house.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3808
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:02 pm UTC

They make popcorn chips now.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

User avatar
Wednesday
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 6:31 pm UTC
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby Wednesday » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:39 pm UTC

I saw those and was intrigued, but not enough to buy them. Are they tasty?

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3808
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:57 pm UTC

They're pretty good, but the taste reminds me more of brown rice cakes than popcorn.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

User avatar
ArchaicHipster
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:47 am UTC
Location: Scotland

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby ArchaicHipster » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:59 pm UTC

Does the brownness impact on flavour?

...oh, you meant brown rice [pause] cakes.

Again, does the different type of rice impact on flavour?
“It is in the deserts and high places that religions are generated. When men see nothing but bottomless infinity over their heads they have always had a driving and desperate urge to find someone to put in the way.”
-Terry Pratchett

Mapar
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:26 am UTC

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby Mapar » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:37 pm UTC

Yesterday night I showed up on a rehearsal that never took place. 3h spent of waiting for/riding trains, AND IT WAS ALL FOR NOTHING.
It was really my own fault, though. I should have checked better, instead of extrapolating... Well, shit happens, and my family had a good laugh at my expense :D
Hi.

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby Steax » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:00 am UTC

Android vs iPhone internet arguments are the most hilarious thing ever. I can't find a fair review of the Galaxy S III on youtube without finding one. Both seem to accuse the other of defending themselves out of pride and money... And think that insulting the other is "cool".
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3808
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:46 am UTC

ArchaicHipster wrote:Does the brownness impact on flavour?

...oh, you meant brown rice [pause] cakes.

Again, does the different type of rice impact on flavour?

I notice a slight difference in taste. I don't know how to describe the difference in taste, but I can taste it. There's also a slight difference in texture, too. If I were given a white rice cake and a brown rice cake, I'd probably be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:50 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
ArchaicHipster wrote:Does the brownness impact on flavour?

...oh, you meant brown rice [pause] cakes.

Again, does the different type of rice impact on flavour?

I notice a slight difference in taste. I don't know how to describe the difference in taste, but I can taste it. There's also a slight difference in texture, too. If I were given a white rice cake and a brown rice cake, I'd probably be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test.
Would you describe the taste as earthier? Because that's how I would describe the difference in taste between brown rice and white rice (brown rice tasting earthier).
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3808
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:52 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:
ArchaicHipster wrote:Does the brownness impact on flavour?

...oh, you meant brown rice [pause] cakes.

Again, does the different type of rice impact on flavour?

I notice a slight difference in taste. I don't know how to describe the difference in taste, but I can taste it. There's also a slight difference in texture, too. If I were given a white rice cake and a brown rice cake, I'd probably be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test.
Would you describe the taste as earthier? Because that's how I would describe the difference in taste between brown rice and white rice (brown rice tasting earthier).

Yes. I'd either describe it as "earthier" or "heartier". Brown rice also seems to be chewier, too.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

User avatar
torontoraptor
Posts: 442
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm UTC

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby torontoraptor » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:45 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:Your avatar is Colonists of Catan related, right?


Yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaE4K5fN8Ek
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:00 pm UTC

Heh. My candle just exploded. It's one of those that come in little glass cups. The wick was running low, but there was plenty of wax left, so I improvised a new wick out of paper to extend the life a little bit. This had the effect of making the whole thing burn a lot brighter, and biased towards one side since the improvised wick wasn't upright. Anyway, after about an hour of burning like this, the hot side just suddenly shattered, and flung pieces of hot glass over me and my desk.

Science. It works, bitches. Now excuse me while I try and stop these cuts bleeding. Ow.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
brakos82
Posts: 536
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:06 am UTC
Location: My happy place :)

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby brakos82 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:02 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Heh. My candle just exploded. It's one of those that come in little glass cups. The wick was running low, but there was plenty of wax left, so I improvised a new wick out of paper to extend the life a little bit. This had the effect of making the whole thing burn a lot brighter, and biased towards one side since the improvised wick wasn't upright. Anyway, after about an hour of burning like this, the hot side just suddenly shattered, and flung pieces of hot glass over me and my desk.

Science. It works, bitches. Now excuse me while I try and stop these cuts bleeding. Ow.


You forgot to... DUCK. :P
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

User avatar
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic
Posts: 4712
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:28 am UTC
Location: Left coast of Canada

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby poxic » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:16 pm UTC

Image
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:45 pm UTC

I don't get it.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:45 pm UTC

Image
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.
Posts: 2013
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:18 am UTC

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby Deva » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:57 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:I don't get it.

See: this thread.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

The Cat

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby The Cat » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:25 pm UTC

Woods on 16? You gotta be kidding me! Hats off to Mr. Woods!

User avatar
ArchaicHipster
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:47 am UTC
Location: Scotland

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby ArchaicHipster » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:41 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:
ArchaicHipster wrote:Does the brownness impact on flavour?

...oh, you meant brown rice [pause] cakes.

Again, does the different type of rice impact on flavour?

I notice a slight difference in taste. I don't know how to describe the difference in taste, but I can taste it. There's also a slight difference in texture, too. If I were given a white rice cake and a brown rice cake, I'd probably be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test.
Would you describe the taste as earthier? Because that's how I would describe the difference in taste between brown rice and white rice (brown rice tasting earthier).

Yes. I'd either describe it as "earthier" or "heartier". Brown rice also seems to be chewier, too.


Ah right, okay. I am enlightened :)

The Cat wrote:Woods on 16? You gotta be kidding me! Hats off to Mr. Woods!


*takes hat off*

I broke a pouffe last night. I don't even know how...
“It is in the deserts and high places that religions are generated. When men see nothing but bottomless infinity over their heads they have always had a driving and desperate urge to find someone to put in the way.”
-Terry Pratchett

User avatar
brakos82
Posts: 536
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:06 am UTC
Location: My happy place :)

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby brakos82 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:59 am UTC

ArchaicHipster wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:
ArchaicHipster wrote:Does the brownness impact on flavour?

...oh, you meant brown rice [pause] cakes.

Again, does the different type of rice impact on flavour?

I notice a slight difference in taste. I don't know how to describe the difference in taste, but I can taste it. There's also a slight difference in texture, too. If I were given a white rice cake and a brown rice cake, I'd probably be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test.
Would you describe the taste as earthier? Because that's how I would describe the difference in taste between brown rice and white rice (brown rice tasting earthier).

Yes. I'd either describe it as "earthier" or "heartier". Brown rice also seems to be chewier, too.


Ah right, okay. I am enlightened :)

The Cat wrote:Woods on 16? You gotta be kidding me! Hats off to Mr. Woods!


*takes hat off*

I broke a pouffe last night. I don't even know how...


Hopefully it went "poof".
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

The Cat

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby The Cat » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:03 am UTC

I broke a pouffe last night. I don't even know how...


1. pouffe - thick cushion used as a seat. hassock, pouf, ottoman, puff · seat - furniture that is designed for sitting on;

I fell off my pouffe when he made that shot.

Ubik
Posts: 1016
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:43 pm UTC

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby Ubik » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:39 am UTC

Lego Lord of the Rings will be an actual game.

Legolas. Legolas. Lego-las.

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:20 pm UTC

Meh. 3 days of vacation and I'm already bored. Had forgotten what that felt like. I've bought and played everything steam has to offer that isn't crap (and some of what arguably is -), and the only new releases are crap and/or DLCs I don't care about. Youtube is a barren wasteland of yogscast videos I've already either watched or am not interested in watching.

I think I'm gonna go out and buy a new frying pan, because I need a new one.

One of these days I'm gonna have to actually do something meaningful with my time. :-(
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
ArchaicHipster
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:47 am UTC
Location: Scotland

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby ArchaicHipster » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:43 pm UTC

The Cat wrote:
I broke a pouffe last night. I don't even know how...


1. pouffe - thick cushion used as a seat. hassock, pouf, ottoman, puff · seat - furniture that is designed for sitting on;

I fell off my pouffe when he made that shot.


Ah, but this was a cushion on top of a weirdly blocky thing that would be insanely uncomfortable to sit on, and is therefore mostly used as a foot rest. And yet still gets called a pouffe or equivalent (I freely admit that the spelling was mostly phonetic).

What's that called, I wonder?
“It is in the deserts and high places that religions are generated. When men see nothing but bottomless infinity over their heads they have always had a driving and desperate urge to find someone to put in the way.”
-Terry Pratchett

The Cat

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby The Cat » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:10 pm UTC

I think I'm gonna go out and buy a new frying pan, because I need a new one.



3 days, LOL. I've found cooking to be a great cure for boredom. Let me know if you want a dynamite baja fish or shrimp taco recipe. So darn good I was dreaming about em. In fact, I'm making a baja bacon, egg, black bean, salsa, avocado, and sour cream taco right now. God, fat camp is 3 weeks overdue. I just don't have any motivation. Last time I felt this way was D.C. I got cartoon fat in that town. Fortune cookie predicts great energy next Spring! Just a fat cheeky bastard till then. I regrettably feel as though my cheekiness has been lacking.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCmUhYSr-e4

User avatar
broken_escalator
They're called stairs
Posts: 3312
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am UTC
Location: _| ̄|○

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:57 pm UTC

ArchaicHipster wrote:Ah, but this was a cushion on top of a weirdly blocky thing that would be insanely uncomfortable to sit on, and is therefore mostly used as a foot rest. And yet still gets called a pouffe or equivalent (I freely admit that the spelling was mostly phonetic).

What's that called, I wonder?

An ottoman cushion?

The Cat

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby The Cat » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:52 pm UTC

Indeed! And how do you 'break" a cushion? Tear, Rip...., but break? It must have been the supporting frame that broke. Mad drunkenness or naughty cheetah? Those cheetahs will get ya! You might need to invest in my new fragrance, Cheetahoff. It stings the nostrils. Awesome venue! Send my best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKiSPUc2 ... ure=fvwrel

_____________________


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2pwkI29O8A

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:12 am UTC

FT: What if the reason we lost most of our body hair was as an evolutionary reaction to fire? Kinda sucks to be highly flammable when you're sitting around next to campfires all the time.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
brakos82
Posts: 536
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:06 am UTC
Location: My happy place :)

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby brakos82 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:17 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:FT: What if the reason we lost most of our body hair was as an evolutionary reaction to fire? Kinda sucks to be highly flammable when you're sitting around next to campfires all the time.


Makes sense to me. My legs agree.
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

User avatar
Wednesday
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 6:31 pm UTC
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby Wednesday » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:33 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:FT: What if the reason we lost most of our body hair was as an evolutionary reaction to fire? Kinda sucks to be highly flammable when you're sitting around next to campfires all the time.


That....no? If you're near enough a fire to set your body hair on fire, it's likely that you're going to sustain at least second degree burns from the same fire on most of the skin exposed. That basically doesn't make sense at all.

User avatar
torontoraptor
Posts: 442
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm UTC

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby torontoraptor » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:40 am UTC

Course selection opens at midnight. I have work tomorrow. Coffee, you shall be my saviour.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:16 am UTC

Wednesday wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:FT: What if the reason we lost most of our body hair was as an evolutionary reaction to fire? Kinda sucks to be highly flammable when you're sitting around next to campfires all the time.


That....no? If you're near enough a fire to set your body hair on fire, it's likely that you're going to sustain at least second degree burns from the same fire on most of the skin exposed. That basically doesn't make sense at all.
It seems that if evolutionary hair-loss was related to fire at all, it might be that with the increase of using fire pits to provide light at night, keep predatory animals away and cook food, having a thick coat of body hair caused uncomfortable/dangerous rises in body heat. The development of tools allowing the skinning and tanning of animal hides (possibly aided by having to worry less about being eaten at night) made thick body hair unnecessary even away from the fire pits.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

The Cat

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby The Cat » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:48 am UTC

That basically doesn't make sense at all.


It does. If I were to guess, camping expeditions would require a giant gland filled with water, to put the flames out. In this example, you, sir, would be the tip o the gland so lovingly referred to as the nozzle.

I'm not sure about the evolutionary path, but the control function is well documented.


____________________________


Cheers to the Queen. I watched a Katie Couric special about em the other night. Such pivotal points in our history.
Last edited by The Cat on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:29 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.
Posts: 1430
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 pm UTC
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:23 am UTC

torontoraptor wrote:Course selection opens at midnight. I have work tomorrow. Coffee, you shall be my saviour.

The episode of Community where they played paintball to win primary registration was amazing. I could totally understand the hysteria.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby Belial » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:40 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:
Wednesday wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:FT: What if the reason we lost most of our body hair was as an evolutionary reaction to fire? Kinda sucks to be highly flammable when you're sitting around next to campfires all the time.


That....no? If you're near enough a fire to set your body hair on fire, it's likely that you're going to sustain at least second degree burns from the same fire on most of the skin exposed. That basically doesn't make sense at all.
It seems that if evolutionary hair-loss was related to fire at all, it might be that with the increase of using fire pits to provide light at night, keep predatory animals away and cook food, having a thick coat of body hair caused uncomfortable/dangerous rises in body heat. The development of tools allowing the skinning and tanning of animal hides (possibly aided by having to worry less about being eaten at night) made thick body hair unnecessary even away from the fire pits.


Actually, according to my reading, it's because fur was always a shitty solution for heating, it was just the least shitty solution most land mammals could manage without fire. The thing about fur is that it hosts parasites, who in turn deplete our bodily resources and make us sick. Not to mention consuming a ton of our time on hand-grooming them out. The only reason we kept fur was because the dangers of freezing to death were greater than the dangers of parasites, if only by a certain margin.

Animals that work out reliable ways to warm themselves without fur tend to lose it in a hurry because it very quickly goes from just-barely-adaptive to mostly-maladaptive. See also: naked mole rats. So yeah, it was an evolutionary reaction to fire, fire just wasn't the only factor.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby Steax » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:50 am UTC

Belial wrote:See also: naked mole rats.


They're NAKED! ... And they're MOLE RATS!

... Sorry. Had to do it.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby Belial » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:17 pm UTC

I should also point out as a random thought that the reason I was doing that reading was because of a short story where a guy travelling forward, backward, and sideways across timelines stayed with a really curious family of people in one reality, who looked mostly human except that their hair and eyes were color-shifted toward the monochrome and yellow (Respectively). And as he observed their somewhat strange behaviours, he realized they had actually evolved from wolves. It was a neat reveal for that part of the story, but I don't think he necessarily thought it all the way through from a scientific perspective.

Which led me to wondering how many of our human-like adaptations made actual sense for any earth-mammal that became a sentient tool-user. I arrived at blunted muzzles, lack of body hair, upright posture, and opposable thumbs. Fatty breasts are likely too*. I suspect the faces would be far stranger than the author gave credit for, though, and I suspect there would've been bonus nipples. That said, while there's no reason to assume an alien species that started in a totally different way would look anything like us, it seems like if we start with the assumption of a furry live-birthing breastfeeding quadruped and cause it to evolve toward our niche, yeah, it would probably look a lot like us.

*My favored theory for their evolution being that they exist so that blunt-muzzled animals don't suffocate while nursing.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau
Posts: 900
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:14 am UTC

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby bluebambue » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:44 pm UTC

Steax wrote:
Belial wrote:See also: naked mole rats.


They're NAKED! ... And they're MOLE RATS!

... Sorry. Had to do it.
I was hoping for this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiLiRRle ... re=related

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:17 pm UTC

Wednesday wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:FT: What if the reason we lost most of our body hair was as an evolutionary reaction to fire? Kinda sucks to be highly flammable when you're sitting around next to campfires all the time.


That....no? If you're near enough a fire to set your body hair on fire, it's likely that you're going to sustain at least second degree burns from the same fire on most of the skin exposed. That basically doesn't make sense at all.


I was thinking more of sparks and embers shooting from fire than actually sitting around in it. I imagine the different outcomes would make quite the difference; a small localized burn versus third degree burns over your entire body.

I also imagine working out what works and what doesn't in terms of fire safety would take a while, so incidents would be quite common in the early days of fire.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Shro
science genius girl
Posts: 2139
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:31 am UTC
Location: im in ur heartz, stealin ur luv.
Contact:

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby Shro » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:31 pm UTC

I HAVE A DIFFERENT THEORY.

We lost our fur because of actually overheating in warmer climates (where most of human civilization developed). Having all this skin gives us a ton of surface area for sweat glands to cool us off makes us way less prone to overheating. We probably hunted by running a lot of animals into heat exhaustion. Fire at night and skins of animals kept us warm.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests