Thoughts for ships

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby Angua » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:14 am UTC

I really hate the changes in daylength in England. It's even worse than having to put up with the weather. In the winter, it gets dark so early that I start feeling tired at around 8 or 9, and in the summer it stays light late, so I don't feel tired until 12, but then it starts getting bright around 4 with the bloody birds singing, so my body wants to get up early.

Everywhere should have constant day-lengths like the tropics.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:13 am UTC

I need to get thicker curtains, because my bedroom window faces pretty much due east, and the sunlight tends to wake me up way earlier than I'd like in the summer.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:41 pm UTC

Yeah, a few years ago I had major issues with not sleeping, and figured too much light was an issue. I have blinds, but they didn't get the job done. Was too lazy to get blackout curtains. Instead just shoved towels int the top of the blinds. Worked really well actually.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:12 pm UTC

The Ts will require more thought. Zebras are awesome. I've waded through the outdoor outfitters parlor before. If I recall, we had a delivery man, band of machete waving punks, and many other things that are not considered appropriate for an American job interview. The tip man got a black eye the next day! From his best friend! Whats the relationship between the delivery man and fine outdoor products? Was it a "Hey, how are you doing with these characters?" I won the patio debate series. At least they had the common decency to have a real conversation. All this beer and waiting has really done a number on my bladder...
Last edited by The Cat on Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:20 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:18 pm UTC

The Cat wrote: All this beer and waiting has really done a number on my bladder... The tip man got a black eye the next day! From his best friend!

The elipses suggest that the tip man getting a black eye from his best friend is somehow related to having to go to the bathroom. Sometimes I have to make up very elaborate stories in my head to fill in the blanks.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:32 pm UTC

The elipses suggest that the tip man getting a black eye from his best friend is somehow related to having to go to the bathroom. Sometimes I have to make up very elaborate stories in my head to fill in the blanks.

Fixed. thank you. If it's thin, I'll say it's thin. Hearing the story first hand, from both of em, while staring at the black eye, is slightly less than thin. I won't elaborate on the story.

elminster

Postby elminster » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:13 am UTC

There's something quite satisfying about a sharp knife. Although the last time I sharpened the kitchen knives properly my house mates complained they were too sharp. Shortly followed by a hospital trip when one of them chopped the tip of their finger off. I guess being sharp enough to glide through paper and shave hair does make the danger of knives more obvious.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:46 am UTC

Chocolate Therapy? Ben & Jerry's, what have you done?!
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:41 am UTC

Probably entirely intended and working-as-planned, but still mind-bending nonetheless.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:40 am UTC

elminster wrote:There's something quite satisfying about a sharp knife. Although the last time I sharpened the kitchen knives properly my house mates complained they were too sharp. Shortly followed by a hospital trip when one of them chopped the tip of their finger off. I guess being sharp enough to glide through paper and shave hair does make the danger of knives more obvious.

Actually, when people are at least somewhat capable in a kitchen, I find that dull knives make for far more accidents than sharp ones. A good sharp knife goes where the user wants it, without being forced. A dull one requires force to cut through things, so it tend to go every odd way it possible can when it clears the cut, or even within the cut itself.

The only accidents I've had with sharp knives recently is the fact that half our dish-towels have cuts in them.

In short: Tell them to learn how to handle a knife without using force, then sharpen the shit out of those kitchen knives.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

elminster

Postby elminster » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:43 am UTC

Ulc wrote:Actually, when people are at least somewhat capable in a kitchen, I find that dull knives make for far more accidents than sharp ones. A good sharp knife goes where the user wants it, without being forced. A dull one requires force to cut through things, so it tend to go every odd way it possible can when it clears the cut, or even within the cut itself.

The only accidents I've had with sharp knives recently is the fact that half our dish-towels have cuts in them.

In short: Tell them to learn how to handle a knife without using force, then sharpen the shit out of those kitchen knives.
Yeah, really it's been quite a while since I cut myself with a kitchen knife. I think the last few times was where I was tempted to check the edge (after sharpening) with a finger (Lightly trying to judge the edge). Paper works much better.
Using the proper technique (Mostly a claw style grip) it's not only safer, it's more accurate and faster. At first I was amazed by chefs, but changing grip with a little practice it's easy stuff.
Cutting with a butter knife isn't fun.

On a related note: I find it rather ironic how people buy granite chopping boards and such, when that's precisely the kind of thing that you don't want for your knifes.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:02 am UTC

elminster wrote: granite chopping boards

It's rare that the internet makes me exclaim out loud in pain. But this did it, I've never heard of that, and the notion repulses me.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:51 am UTC

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! Looks like a dbl feature day. That explains a great deal. I hope they get better. Cheers!

How do I get free?

Limited resources and we'd get some interesting combinations. However, you're right. I refrain on the second, lest the onset of tingling lips followed by acute paralysis. Congratulations! Very well deserved. Cheers!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:26 pm UTC

Right, that does it. I am officially bored of zombies. On the DVD rack in Asda, there's Ninja Zombie, Ozombie, War Of The Dead, Juan Of The Dead, and several other zombie-themed films I've not bothered to remember the names of. What the shit? When did every film-maker and his dog decide to start cashing in on zombies?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:03 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Right, that does it. I am officially bored of zombies. On the DVD rack in Asda, there's Ninja Zombie, Ozombie, War Of The Dead, Juan Of The Dead, and several other zombie-themed films I've not bothered to remember the names of. What the shit? When did every film-maker and his dog decide to start cashing in on zombies?

I'm, like, officially annoyed by people overusing officially. Like, seriously.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:25 pm UTC

Ulc wrote:A dull one requires force to cut through things, so it tend to go every odd way it possible can when it clears the cut, or even within the cut itself.
Yeah - to illustrate this a short story:

I was cutting onions with a pretty blunt knife (because I couldn't be bothered to sharpen it halfway through the job) and something that happened once or twice was the knife clearing the first few layers, then sliding along another layer. Essentially I could only cut the top layers of the onion before it slid off the core layers. Very annoying.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:28 pm UTC

Have y'all tried serrated? They work great for me.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:36 pm UTC

Depends on the application. For sawing through things, like breads or overcooked meat or something, serrated knives are fantastic. For things that require more of a push or a slice, non-serrated is better in my experience. I use non-serrated knives for vegetables, fruit, chicken, uncooked beef, etc.

Dull knives are safer (safer is a relative term) if you're dicking around with it , sharp knives are safer for actual work for the reasons bigglesworth gave.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:52 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Right, that does it. I am officially bored of zombies. On the DVD rack in Asda, there's Ninja Zombie, Ozombie, War Of The Dead, Juan Of The Dead, and several other zombie-themed films I've not bothered to remember the names of. What the shit? When did every film-maker and his dog decide to start cashing in on zombies?

I'm, like, officially annoyed by people overusing officially. Like, seriously.

Yeah? Well I'm, like, officially annoyed by people using any kind of vernacular whatsoever.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:55 pm UTC

Interesting... I was burning a CD on an unplugged laptop... It ran out of batteries before it was done and automatically went into hibernate. I quickly plugged it back in but I didn't turn it back on because the disk drive was still spinning. When it stopped spinning I turned it back on, and when it finished restoring Windows it continued with the "finalizing" stage of the burning. The disk works just fine. I guess a computer can still burn disks while hibernating.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:42 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Interesting... I was burning a CD on an unplugged laptop... It ran out of batteries before it was done and automatically went into hibernate. I quickly plugged it back in but I didn't turn it back on because the disk drive was still spinning. When it stopped spinning I turned it back on, and when it finished restoring Windows it continued with the "finalizing" stage of the burning. The disk works just fine. I guess a computer can still burn disks while hibernating.

Well I learned something today. 8)
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:14 pm UTC

Me too, I think. Avengers is a surprisingly good movie. I'll start in the right place next weekend. I try to say off the roads after dark.

I have some serrated knives that are great for slicing fruits and veggies.

Grande slinky chicken on that one.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:06 am UTC

Steak.

Steak is good.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:04 am UTC

Steak, wrapped in bacon.

darknut

Postby darknut » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:27 am UTC

brakos82 wrote:Steak, wrapped in bacon.

and then you put that inside a chicken and bacon strips and that into a pig and bacon strips
and serve witha side of bacon, smart, smart
poxic wrote: Take a source of light and cook it up until it lases -- now you have a laser.

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:40 am UTC

I don't think there's anything Seattle's weatherman Steve Pool can't do... he hasn't aged in 28 years (there is proof of this), he answers tricky questions, and now he's becoming an actor.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:13 am UTC

I imagine it got boring reporting on the rain, so he took up hobbies like biogerontology.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:22 am UTC

Steak, wrapped in bacon, stuffed inside a chicken, and sandwiched inside the original steak.

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:47 am UTC

look, young lady, I've tolerated your nonsense for long enough. I've tried to be kind, polite, honest and patient, but these concepts seem Foreign to your nature. this Aggression will not be tolerated. I've been honest from the beginning. I'm not known to be a liar, nor my associates. This is America. In America, some things are more important than "what you have in the bank". I would've though you understood that by now. Silly American, "he thinks it's in the ice!" some of those cheetahs Scratch like they have flees.

Spoiler:
lighthouse2.jpeg
lighthouse2.jpeg (4.18 KiB) Viewed 3612 times
Last edited by The Cat on Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:16 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

micco

Postby micco » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:05 pm UTC

I find it dissapointing that having a barbecue in a public park is forbidden here...
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Garm

Postby Garm » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:30 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:

Steak, wrapped in bacon, stuffed inside a chicken, and sandwiched inside the original steak.

Would this be something like a mobius turducken?

Really tho', I enjoy Steak with grilled onions on it (Schwäbisch style). If you combined the grilled onions with wrapping the steak in bacon that might be pretty excellent. Best yet might be wrapping it in smoked bacon (speck).
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:32 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:

Sadly only works with 4-dimensional steaks.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:34 pm UTC

Cows are three dimensional. Just make a giant steak.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:36 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:Cows are three dimensional. Just make a giant steak.

How do you know? They could just be 3D projections of a larger, N-dimensional bovine.

For all we know, the N-dimensional creature may intersect our reality multiple times, forming different creatures. Here is a diagram of how that would look

IMG_20120612_174208[1].jpg

This is all in line with my hypothesis that there is only one type of citrus fruit, a type of hypersphere that exists largely in a dimension inaccessible to us; that has different size, colors and shape depending on its distance, red-shift, and Lorentz contraction (the latter two from motion along an axis we can't perceive).
Last edited by You, sir, name? on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:51 pm UTC, edited 5 times in total.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:38 pm UTC

I prefer my cows non-euclidean, personally.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:26 pm UTC

Shouldn't the same be applied to all seemingly 3D objects, including humans, therefore making the whole point negligible?
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:02 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:Shouldn't the same be applied to all seemingly 3D objects(A), including humans, therefore making the whole point negligible(B)?

A: Yes.
B: I don't see how this follows.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:09 pm UTC

micco wrote:I find it dissapointing that having a barbecue in a public park is forbidden here...

Wait, what?? What's the point of a park then?!

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:11 pm UTC

If everything may very well be a visible projection from a higher dimension, why does it change that fact that an entire cow would allow the mobius terducken?

Return to “General”