Thoughts for ships

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:59 pm UTC

Going to see this Friday. Looks like it'll be fun.

http://www.batmanlive.com/
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:53 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:So, I'm on strike. But it's apparently the kind of strike where I still go to work and get paid, so, cool, I guess?
Update: that's over. We got what amounts to a pay cut. But a slightly less worse pay cut than they wanted to give us, so yay?

If anybody asks me why I'm not staying for the PhD, I plan to laugh derisively.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

elminster

Postby elminster » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:42 pm UTC

Carlington wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:If you microwave raw onion, it turns soggy and starts to taste a bit like apples.

If you microwave McDonald's pickles, they ignite and burn with quite a luminous flame.
Nothing like a bit of McDonald's pickle plasma.

Weight's are kinda of annoying; they're designed to be difficult to lift, so moving them around is, by definition, hard.
Furthermore, it always bothered me how much cast iron plates cost (not so much with second hand). I guess transportation cost is pretty high.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:29 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:
ahammel wrote:So, I'm on strike. But it's apparently the kind of strike where I still go to work and get paid, so, cool, I guess?
Update: that's over. We got what amounts to a pay cut. But a slightly less worse pay cut than they wanted to give us, so yay?

If anybody asks me why I'm not staying for the PhD, I plan to laugh derisively.

Why aren't you staying for the PhD?

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:30 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:
ahammel wrote:
ahammel wrote:If anybody asks me why I'm not staying for the PhD, I plan to laugh derisively.
Why aren't you staying for the PhD?
Hahahaha!

(Because I don't want to make a crappy salary into my thirties in order to get training for a job that I don't want and that mostly doesn't exist.)
He/Him/His/Alex

Daimon

Postby Daimon » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:14 am UTC

Last edited by Daimon on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:02 am UTC

Screech #1: Firefox 17 claims to have disabled Pentadactyl. Pentadactyl is still working fine. Witchcraft?

Screech #2: God help me, I think I like Wagner.
He/Him/His/Alex

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:46 am UTC

Wait, Americans get three days off work for Thanksgiving? That must be awesome.

How exactly does one go about emigrating to America?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:56 am UTC

I only get 2.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:49 am UTC

Yeah, I only get two. However, tomorrow is almost like a day off. We're having an office potluck and we get to wear civilian clothes. :D
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:21 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Wait, Americans get three days off work for Thanksgiving? That must be awesome.

How exactly does one go about emigrating to America?

Overall, though, Americans get shafted* where both public holidays and vacation time are concerned, relative to most other developed countries, I believe.

*Is there an informal-sounding synonym here that isn't a slang term for sex? The only things I could think of were 'shafted', 'screwed', and - slightly less well fitting - 'fucked'.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:36 pm UTC

I get 6 weeks paid vacation (5 mandated by law), and like 11 holidays a year.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:41 pm UTC

fun fact: most companies that give the friday after thanksgiving off as a paid holiday in the US use that day instead of columbus day.

i work for a pretty good company as far as "days that you're paid to not be there" goes (for the US at least)....we get 3 weeks paid time off (includes sick days, vacation, or fuck you i'm not going to be here next week days) after your first year, then 4 weeks after you've been here for 5 years, then i forget what you get at 10 years (haven'g gotten there yet) and that's on top of the 13 holidays we're closed for (if the plant is closed, we're paid to not be here).

my actual screech: i get to do cheesecake experiments when i get home! going to try to make a sweet potato casserole cheesecake....should be tasty
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:16 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:I get 6 weeks paid vacation (5 mandated by law), and like 11 holidays a year.

Generous around here is 3 weeks paid vacation after you've been with a place for a bit.

I am not aware of any vacation time being mandated by law.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:47 pm UTC

US is one of the few countries in the industrialized world without any mandated time off.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:52 pm UTC

Treating our workers like people would kill jerbs!

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:05 pm UTC

One more hour of work.

Then not for till Monday.

LONGEST HOUR EVER.

GenericAnimeBoy

Postby GenericAnimeBoy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:30 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:Treating our workers like people would kill jerbs!

"But what about the people who want to start shopping on Thanksgiving?"
"They are monsters and should not be encouraged." :lol: :roll:
In light of the impermanence and absurdity of existence, I surmise that nothing is better for us than to rejoice and to do good in our lives, and that everyone should eat and drink and enjoy the good of his/her labor. Such enjoyment is a gift from God.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:36 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:Treating our workers like people would kill jerbs!

Fucking lazy workers wanting the nanny state to allow them to stay sane.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:51 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:I get 6 weeks paid vacation (5 mandated by law), and like 11 holidays a year.

Generous around here is 3 weeks paid vacation after you've been with a place for a bit.

I am not aware of any vacation time being mandated by law.

This reminds me of a radio ad some mega-jobs-website ran here a while back that started with some desperate HR person reading an ad for a job that, among other things, offered two weeks paid vacation. What they missed in localization is that the minimum here is three weeks paid vacation* for a new hire.

On a related note, could someone from the US explain to me how mandatory unpaid overtime works and is legal? It's something that I have heard of in a few places, and I'm still not sure what differentiates it from temporary slavery...

*Or equivalent vacation pay and days off, which is also fairly common.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:57 pm UTC

The quick version - it's in the contract you sign that you will work mandatory overtime when requested, and whether or not it will be paid.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:03 am UTC

Under UK law, the legal minimum is 5.6 weeks (28 days) paid vacation per year, which may include the public holidays, of which there are 8 each year, and if they fall on weekends they're moved to the next weekday. I think my employer gives me 25 days, plus the bank holidays, for 33 days (6.6 weeks) total.

EDIT: I'm not sure what the situation in Korea is, legally speaking, but I know the company I work for here gives 15 days paid vacation plus public holidays. Public holidays here are solar new years day, 3 days for lunar new years day, independence day, childrens day, buddhas birthday, memorial day, liberation day, 3 days for chuseok (harvest festival), national foundation day, and christmas day. In addition the company gives us an extra day off after lunar new year and chuseok, and for the company foundation day and the CEO's birthday, so 18 days total, but they could all fall on weekends, and aren't moved if that happens, so equivalent to ~13 days on average. That's 28 days total, but I suspect the legal minimum is a lot lower than that, plus a lot of people work 6-day weeks here.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:13 am UTC

I get 15 days PTO that accrues over the course of a year (and then stops accruing), and gets used up for sick time. I also get 6 days off for holidays: New Years, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, 2 days for Thanksgiving, and Christmas and half days the day before holidays

It's nowhere near enough.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:17 am UTC

Adacore wrote:Overall, though, Americans get shafted* where both public holidays and vacation time are concerned, relative to most other developed countries, I believe.

*Is there an informal-sounding synonym here that isn't a slang term for sex? The only things I could think of were 'shafted', 'screwed', and - slightly less well fitting - 'fucked'.

Robbed? Ripped off? Cheated?
Changes its form depending on the observer.

yurell

Postby yurell » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:18 am UTC

Exploited?
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:43 am UTC

Always!
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:46 am UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:On a related note, could someone from the US explain to me how mandatory unpaid overtime works and is legal? It's something that I have heard of in a few places, and I'm still not sure what differentiates it from temporary slavery...
I can think of three situations that could be described as "mandatory unpaid overtime."
1) Working over forty hours in a week as an hourly worker but getting paid your normal wage for the extra hours instead of time-and-a-half.
2) Working over forty hours in a week as an hourly worker and not getting paid anything for the extra hours.
3) Working over forty hours in a week as a salaried worked and technically not getting paid for the extra hours.

Now, if we're talking employees and not contractors, I'm fairly certain (2) is illegal, at least according to the HR person for the company I work for, as is (1) actually. Any time after forty hours in a single week must be paid at 1.5 times your normal hourly wage. (3) is the downside to being a salaried employee, the upside being that if your in project-based job, and you finish your project 2 days early, you most likely can just take those two days off without it affecting your paycheck or your PTO.

If you're a contractor, it all depends on the terms of your work contract, like SecondTalon said. If the contract specifies that you'll be paid in boiled herring for the first 40 hours of the week, and in deviled eggs for any additional time, and you sign it, that's what's going to happen. (maybe not, but the point is contractor-contractee relationships have a lot fewer legal restrictions than employer-employee relationships)
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:35 am UTC

Ah, then I suspect the difference is largely in where the line between "employee" and "contractor" is. In Canada, if you look like an employee and quack like an employee, then you are considered an employee, even if it's on a contract basis. Hiring an actual contractor means giving them a fairly large amount of autonomy - more than I think most companies are comfortable with giving.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:52 am UTC

My father ran into this several years ago when a contractor went to Revenue Canada to ask if he was actually an employee. (Made Dad cuss a lot when he found out, but he didn't fire the guy.) It was enough to document that the contractor set his own rate and hours to avoid having to pay a shitload of retroactive payroll tax and whatnot.

That's what I go by as a contractor: I set my own rate (with negotiation where required) and hours. I don't get extended health benefits or dental coverage, or paid sick leave or vacation time, but I can take off for a week whenever I want (with negotiation etc). And I'm not subject to those goddamn freaking Progress Evaluations every six freaking months. That alone is worth all kinds of anything.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

GenericAnimeBoy

Postby GenericAnimeBoy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:04 am UTC

I thought about posting this in the religion thread but people would almost certainly rage about it being off topic, so it goes here. Evidently, farmville and flannelgraphs had an illegitimate love child in the form of a Facebook game called (I swear I am not making this up) "Journey of Jesus: The Calling". :lol:

I'm not intrigued enough by it to give them my info, so I have no idea whether it's worth playing, but considering my other experiences with Facebook games, I rather doubt that anything on that platform could possibly be worthwhile. :roll:
In light of the impermanence and absurdity of existence, I surmise that nothing is better for us than to rejoice and to do good in our lives, and that everyone should eat and drink and enjoy the good of his/her labor. Such enjoyment is a gift from God.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:04 pm UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:Ah, then I suspect the difference is largely in where the line between "employee" and "contractor" is. In Canada, if you look like an employee and quack like an employee, then you are considered an employee, even if it's on a contract basis. Hiring an actual contractor means giving them a fairly large amount of autonomy - more than I think most companies are comfortable with giving.

Big companies LOVE contractors because they don't have to pay them benefits and they can get rid of them pretty much whenever they want within the contract limitations.

The only mandatory overtime I've seen here comes when you start getting higher up in the company, but then you're not really set on a 40 hour/week schedule. Its salaried to the point where you just do your job not matter how long it takes even if its past 40 hours a week. But you know about that going into the job. Other mandatory overtime could be the whole "you really need to get this done so do whatever it takes, and we're not paying overtime". You're not forced to do it, but it could impact you negatively if you don't. In my experience most big companies won't do it this way since its not great motivation and its probably quasi-illegal. That or I've only worked in good big companies and luckily avoided the big ones that DO do this.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:00 am UTC

It's not always just for higher ups - companies like big city law firms can have the same thing for all their employees, requiring them to be at work for as long as it takes to get the job done (on a nominal 40 hour working week, to comply with employment law), but providing a high base salary to compensate for that.

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:35 am UTC

Many companies, by nature, will give as little as they can, and take as much as they can. The squeeze of competition is felt most in the middle/working class. Down hill and the like. Middle is typically forced to give the last pinch.

Happy Thanksgiving! Today I'm grateful I don't work in a Asian sweat shop. I'm grateful not to be a west African farmer. I'm grateful I'm not such a coward that I bend to the will of evil men. I'm grateful that I've only got one semester left! This time next year, I'll be somewhere else! That, most of all, brings joy to my heart.
Last edited by The Cat on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:46 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Indy

Postby Indy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:46 am UTC

Today I wish I was American so I could have turkey. Mmmm turkey. Enjoy, my US friends!
Manuka in bloom may breed despair

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:59 am UTC

Indy wrote:Today I wish I was American so I could have turkey. Mmmm turkey. Enjoy, my US friends!

I already had one turkey dinner for thanksgiving, I'm having a second one tomorrow, and I'm not American! Don't let pesky issues of nationality damp your turkey-devouring urges!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:14 am UTC

I once had a roommate recently immigrated from Iran. I took her to my folks' house for her first ever turkey consumption. She said she liked it.

We also got to introduce her to Christmas stuff, including a stocking on Christmas morning. She didn't understand why we didn't keep redecorating the tree every few days to keep it interesting. I didn't know, either.

Also showed her New Year's Eve, which was crashingly dull according to her. Always the same time and date, every year? And all you do is run outside, yell, and make other noises? Really? (Note that Persian New Year celebration can be quite elaborate, and that it falls on the date and time of the spring equinox each year. I was a bit bothered by the goldfish part of the tradition, only because the fish rarely survived the whole seven days.)
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:41 pm UTC

Scotland wins for new year celebrations :p
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:17 pm UTC

Screech: Whenever I put headphones on in the office, to listen to my mp3 player, colleagues come and stand behind my desk and have conversations. The thoughts running through my mind are as follows:

-This is annoying. I don't like people standing behind me while I'm working.
-Hmm, I can't hear what they're saying because I have my earphones in.
-Am I absolutely certain my music isn't leaking out through my mp3 player's speaker as well as the earphones, because there's a fault?
-Can they hear what I'm listening to?
-Are they mocking me for my taste in music?
-But if I take out my earphones to confirm that my music isn't leaking out, it looks like I'm eavesdropping.
-What do I do?!?!

Am I paranoid?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:51 pm UTC

TGIF.

If I was more of a drinking man, I'd walk into a bar and order a beer.
If I was more of a goody two-shoes super hero's civilian alter-ego, I'd walk into a bar and order a glass of milk or orange juice.

So I'm staying home.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:59 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:TGIF.

If I was more of a drinking man, I'd walk into a bar and order a beer.
If I was more of a goody two-shoes super hero's civilian alter-ego, I'd walk into a bar and order a glass of milk or orange juice.

So I'm staying home.

It's my first Friday in by myself in rather a long time. I'm currently debating whether or not to break out the spirits.

Return to “General”