Thoughts for ships

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

The Scyphozoa

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

Where's Obby when you need him?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

quetzal1234

Postby quetzal1234 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

I need to memorize a huge list in order, and what would be great right now is a tool where I could type in the list and have it mix up small sections for me so I could reorder them. (through dragging, perhaps) Dunno if that's clear, but does anyone know whether this exists? The best I've been able to do is excel, and that doesn't really work.
WibblyWobbly wrote:If the ratio of the length of the shaft of a 4-iron to the diameter of a blackberry is 3*pi^3 + 2*pi/3 + (2*e-pi)/(2*e*pi), how does that tell me whether I should use a sand wedge or a lob wedge against an opponent holding an apricot?

Snark

Postby Snark » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

quetzal1234 wrote:I need to memorize a huge list in order, and what would be great right now is a tool where I could type in the list and have it mix up small sections for me so I could reorder them. (through dragging, perhaps) Dunno if that's clear, but does anyone know whether this exists? The best I've been able to do is excel, and that doesn't really work.
http://www.random.org/lists/
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:45 pm UTC

quetzal1234 wrote:I need to memorize a huge list in order, and what would be great right now is a tool where I could type in the list and have it mix up small sections for me so I could reorder them. (through dragging, perhaps) Dunno if that's clear, but does anyone know whether this exists? The best I've been able to do is excel, and that doesn't really work.

Possibly try Anki. Not sure if it what you need though.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

Got a new kitchen table yesterday. When we put it together, it smelled like celery. Is there some kind of wood finish that smells like celery?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Krealr

Postby Krealr » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Got a new kitchen table yesterday. When we put it together, it smelled like celery. Is there some kind of wood finish that smells like celery?

Is it made out of celery pine? :mrgreen: (I have no idea if it actually smells like celery)

yurell

Postby yurell » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:54 pm UTC

That Stargate episode used to be my favourite.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:EDIT: Well, to be fair, it's Teal'c in that gif.

Actually, before I edited it, my post was "Well damn, so close."

I then removed "so close" for dramatic impact. The sacrifices we make in the name of wordsmithery.

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

everything or anything? everything or anything? :?

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:01 am UTC

I use Excel a lot for randomised lists*, but I'm not sure how appropriate that is for what you want. For random lists, the list goes in Column A, random numbers ("=RAND()") go in column B. Sort all the data by column B. Repeat (it will generate more random numbers) to give a new different order; from what you're saying I assume you know how to do that, though. If you want to do sections, that might be harder, but shouldn't be too hard.

What do you mean by 'mix up small sections for me'? Using another column or two and a simple function with the RNG one should be able to twerk it so that it either mixes up chunks of the list or moves individual items on the list a small distance up and/or down.

That's all problem generation though, and doesn't help you with finding an easy way to go about the reordering by dragging, if that's your difficulty. I can't think of anything with a better select-and-drag interface for lists than Excel.

*I use this most often for creating Korean vocabulary worksheets. I type in Korean words and their English translations in two columns, then have Excel randomly reorder the words in Korean only (so I can translate to English) on one printable worksheet, and in English only (so I can translate to Korean) on another worksheet.

quetzal1234

Postby quetzal1234 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:23 am UTC

@snark and diemo: neither of those is exactly what I'm looking for, but they seem like great resources, so thanks for showing them to me. I really appreciate it.

@adacore: What I'm trying to do is memorize a list of dates (not the actual numbers, but the order the events happened in). The list is probably several hundred items long, so mixing the entire thing up in excel isn't really working - I need to mix up like 4 or 5 of the consecutive events at a time, and repeat until I get it.

What I've actually been doing is writing out the list in column A, copy pasting a small section to column B, and then alphabetizing my section to get it out of order, before dragging it back into order in column C. Which I'm sure is a silly way to do it. It's certainly a bit time consuming.
Could you perhaps explain further how I could disorder the list all at once in small sections? Don't go out of your way, though. My understanding of excel is not the best. I hope I'm being clear.

Thanks for your help. I'll go mess around with excel some more. That way I won't have to study. ;)
WibblyWobbly wrote:If the ratio of the length of the shaft of a 4-iron to the diameter of a blackberry is 3*pi^3 + 2*pi/3 + (2*e-pi)/(2*e*pi), how does that tell me whether I should use a sand wedge or a lob wedge against an opponent holding an apricot?

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:50 am UTC

Just off the top of my head, if you wanted to reorder items in blocks of, say, 10, you could:

Save a copy of your base list somewhere. For example, sheet 1.
Copy the base list to column C of sheet 2.
In column A, number the list (1, 2, 3, 4, &c. - as I assume you already know, this is easy to do in Excel, as you can just type 1, 2, 3 then select and drag to fill the rest of the sequence.).
In column B, input the formula "=FLOOR(A1/10,1)+RAND()" (you can replace the 10 here with anything to change your block size), in cell B1, then drag to copy the formula down for the whole list.
Sort the list by column B. This should randomly shuffle each 10-item-long section of the list.

There are lots of ways to do this, probably some of which are more elegant and only need one column, but this was the first that came to mind.
Last edited by Adacore on Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:01 am UTC

If occurs to me that a lot of my writing focuses on the Internet and/or the effects it has on people.

Kind of weird to realize how much of an impact this thing has on my life.

I also hope I'm not a one-trick pony in terms of my writings.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

quetzal1234

Postby quetzal1234 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:55 am UTC

Adacore wrote:Just off the top of my head, if you wanted to reorder items in blocks of, say, 10, you could:

Save a copy of your base list somewhere. For example, sheet 1.
Copy the base list to column C of sheet 2.
In column A, number the list (1, 2, 3, 4, &c. - as I assume you already know, this is easy to do in Excel, as you can just type 1, 2, 3 then select and drag to fill the rest of the sequence.).
In column B, input the formula "=FLOOR(A1/10,1)+RAND()" (you can replace the 10 here with anything to change your block size), in cell B1, then drag to copy the formula down for the whole list.
Sort the list by column B. This should randomly shuffle each 10-item-long section of the list.

There are lots of ways to do this, probably some of which are more elegant and only need one column, but this was the first that came to mind.

Thanks so much! That worked great.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:24 am UTC

suffer-cait wrote:
poxic wrote:Some people are more sensitive to the "neurotoxin" part of alcohol. It probably means good things about you, but bad things for your booze-quaffing abilities.

can you explain? i has a curious. also other commentary on booze reaction--->normal brain function. i kinda love what different drug reactions say about people.

That may have sounded more authoritative than it was. I was thinking of a few different people I know who react to alcohol as though it were simply a poison, and not a funtime beverage.

- One temporarily lost her vision and couldn't walk unassisted for about half an hour, within 10 minutes of having half of one drink, iirc.
- One would get about two standard drinks in before starting to get a headache and stomach ache (sort of a precognitive hangover).
- One used to black out after one or two drinks. I think she got more tolerance as she got older, though.

No science, unfortunately, just "hey there were these people I knew". (Each of the people in the stories were fully competent and interesting people who mostly decided they could do without booze and carried on being competent and interesting.)
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:49 am UTC

poxic wrote:That may have sounded more authoritative than it was. I was thinking of a few different people I know who react to alcohol as though it were simply a poison, and not a funtime beverage.
- One would get about two standard drinks in before starting to get a headache and stomach ache (sort of a precognitive hangover).

Huh. That's what my wife does with grain-based alcohol. Fruit-based does not have that affect. We've not yet experimented enough with, say, potato or sugar cane based, or agave much.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:07 am UTC

Agave much tends to cause things, yes. :wink:
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:10 am UTC

As a friend says, "Tequila makes my clothes fall off."
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

roband

Postby roband » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:41 am UTC

Tequila drinks is best drinks.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:03 pm UTC

Tequila is the worst of drinks.

Tequila is a black out followed by two months of meeting strangers that help to piece together that night you had tequila. You gain at least one new unflattering nickname, perform at least one darwin awards grade stupid feat, and wake up in a really strange location (including but not limited to jail, a bathtub, or a different city).
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

elminster

Postby elminster » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:08 pm UTC

Although it is rather funny to come to the kitchen in the morning and find a 4 foot wide smiley made of used lemon slices. Like... damn that was a lot of lemons.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

Tequila makes me 'frisky'. My housemates know and abuse this fact. My boyfriend did not know this until after he bought me one on our first date.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

The time my housemate and I both got stood up, tequila was the turning point from 'bad night' to 'good night'.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

Hmm, I now have to remember to bring a bottle of tequila with me to my sister's bachelorette party.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

Anyone know if there's any go-to app for rejecting calls on android jelly bean? I ideally want to nuke an entire area code, as all telemarketers seem to be in the same city.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

Why oh why did I go into the individual comics forum.

maninblack
Location: I'm out of my mind at the moment please leave a message after the beep.

Postby maninblack » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

addams wrote:It was like a game of Rugby and I was the Puck. Yeah. I was taking a beating and I was in the wrong game.
roband wrote:If this is a serious question, the answer is no.
If it's a philosophical one, I have no idea.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

Why is it being labeled a scam? It's entrepreneurship at it's finest. He should be given a medal.

I wish I'd come up with this first.

maninblack
Location: I'm out of my mind at the moment please leave a message after the beep.

Postby maninblack » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

In my experience, companies' tech policies strictly prohibit allowing other people to log in with your credentials. *shrugs*
addams wrote:It was like a game of Rugby and I was the Puck. Yeah. I was taking a beating and I was in the wrong game.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

I'd say it's more fraud or breach of contract than a scam.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

davedrowsy

Postby davedrowsy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

Joke time!

What do you call a cow with no legs?
Spoiler:
Ground beef.

What do you call a masturbating cow?
Spoiler:
Beef stroganoff.

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:42 am UTC

davedrowsy wrote:Joke time!

What do you call a cow with no legs?
Spoiler:
Ground beef.

What do you call a masturbating cow?
Spoiler:
Beef stroganoff.

i dont get the last one... :?

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:45 am UTC

Ivora wrote:
davedrowsy wrote:What do you call a masturbating cow?
Spoiler:
Beef stroganoff.

Spoiler for explaining jokes:
Spoiler:
I believe it's meant to be a pun with 'stroking off'. Not sure though.

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:55 am UTC

Adacore wrote:
Ivora wrote:
davedrowsy wrote:What do you call a masturbating cow?
Spoiler:
Beef stroganoff.

Spoiler for explaining jokes:
Spoiler:
I believe it's meant to be a pun with 'stroking off'. Not sure though.

ooohhhh... i thought stroganoff was some fancy appetizer.... now i feel less smarter. :(

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:35 am UTC

So...today I joined the league of iPhone users. I was an Android person but two Androids later and both die at about a year, and then I'm stuck with a craptastic phone for a year, killed that. Let's hope iPhones are built better! I actually had to pay for it....both my Samsung Galaxy's were free.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

maninblack

Postby maninblack » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:So...today I joined the league of iPhone users. I was an Android person but two Androids later and both die at about a year, and then I'm stuck with a craptastic phone for a year, killed that. Let's hope iPhones are built better! I actually had to pay for it....both my Samsung Galaxy's were free.

I like my Motorolas. I am in the process of replacing my Droid X with a RAZR M (used from ebay), and I have had a good experience with all my Motorla handsets (I've had three so far the X was my first smart phone). I have never been particularly interested in iPhones; I'm all about the open source. ... All I can say about iPhones is be careful, as I've heard the screens break easier than those of other smart phones (two family members that I know of have broken the screens on their iPhones).

Good luck.

elminster

Postby elminster » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

The internet kind of spoils you when it comes to observing skill/talent or anything similar. Now when ever I see a more local show it's like "That's good... but it's not great; I know what people can really do." Then it ends up being a bit more disappointing.
Also makes it more obvious how many of things people consider "great" are really more of an average of people interested in that field. Kind of related to why something like 90% of things seem to end up being rated at 1 or 9 or 10 out of 10, when really ratings should be more evenly distributed to allow more clear distinction. People are generally very bad at reviewing things anyway.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

Wowzer. Ridiculously spicy cheese, and I just ate a whole block of it. My mouth feels like it's on fire, and drinking water only makes it worse. It's napalm cheese. Aaaaaah wow that's hot.

Edit: And now I'm dizzy. I think it's because of the increased breathing and now I have too much oxygen or something. Whoo, I think I'll go lie down.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

If I'm not mistaken, milk is better than water for countering spicy stuff. I found lettuce to work well too.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Wowzer. Ridiculously spicy cheese, and I just ate a whole block of it. My mouth feels like it's on fire, and drinking water only makes it worse. It's napalm cheese. Aaaaaah wow that's hot.

Edit: And now I'm dizzy. I think it's because of the increased breathing and now I have too much oxygen or something. Whoo, I think I'll go lie down.

in Soviet Russia, cheese burns you!

(sorry, had to :lol: )
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Return to “General”