Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SlyReaper
inflatable

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

Who the hell needs to see where they're going when they're driving?

Picture taken on the M4.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

Shivahn wrote:Ah, I didn't know that.

Well good luck dealing with that for those of you Europeans planning on becoming robots to live forever. Suckers.

It's okay, by then our own radioisotope hearts will keep us cozy and warm/

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:
Shivahn wrote:Ah, I didn't know that.

Well good luck dealing with that for those of you Europeans planning on becoming robots to live forever. Suckers.

It's okay, by then our own radioisotope hearts will keep us cozy and warm/

You'd think that, but in 2215 the World Government will pass the "Fucking cyborgs think they're so cool, but they're totally not" act that requires all cyborg existence sucks at least as much as the human one.

The people of the 2200s are kind of dicks.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Who the hell needs to see where they're going when they're driving?

Picture taken on the M4.

You know what is gonna be hilarious? When he needs to brake and all the snow on his roof slides down the windshield.

Needless to say, no wiper in the world is strong enough to get that much snow off.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:13 am UTC

i fell for your jivin' and i took you in
Now all you got to offer me's a drink of gin
Why don't you do right, like some other men do?

addams

Postby addams » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:44 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Who the hell needs to see where they're going when they're driving?

Picture taken on the M4.

You know what is gonna be hilarious? When he needs to brake and all the snow on his roof slides down the windshield.

Needless to say, no wiper in the world is strong enough to get that much snow off.

That photo is very funny, to me.
Humans! The auto is our armor.
Snow requires skill sets to be learned.
The Sacred Ritual of Snow removal before driving.The credit card is, just, not equal to the task in untrained hands.
Snow is Cold. The driver may not be pleased.

Have you ever been in a car covered with snow?
It is a strange experience.
Light passes though it, sort of.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:29 am UTC

Picture taken on the M4.

I'd hate to be driving right behind that car, because the snow from that car is surely blowing onto the car behind it. I had to deal with that kind of shit all the time when I lived in Alaska. People would only sweep enough snow off to see where they were driving, and the rest of it would come flying at the windshields of anyone who was unfortunate enough to be driving behind them.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:49 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:I'd hate to be driving right behind that car, because the snow from that car is surely blowing onto the car behind it. I had to deal with that kind of shit all the time when I lived in Alaska. People would only sweep enough snow off to see where they were driving, and the rest of it would come flying at the windshields of anyone who was unfortunate enough to be driving behind them.

In my experience it rarely does here. It's possibly to do with the different climate because often the snow on top of a car's roof has melted and refrozen at least once meaning it's no longer fluffy enough to be whipped up by the breeze, but instead is slightly icy.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:54 pm UTC

Screech: you know how the expansion of the universe is supposedly speeding up, and the placeholder name for the cause of this is called dark energy. I've been thinking - when you look at distant galaxies, you're seeing them how they were billions of years ago, in a younger universe that was smaller than it is now. If the universe was more compressed spatially, could it not have been more compressed in the time axis too? Could the apparent acceleration not simply be an illusion created by time itself being stretched?

elminster

Postby elminster » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:I'd hate to be driving right behind that car, because the snow from that car is surely blowing onto the car behind it. I had to deal with that kind of shit all the time when I lived in Alaska. People would only sweep enough snow off to see where they were driving, and the rest of it would come flying at the windshields of anyone who was unfortunate enough to be driving behind them.
Generally I'd be more worried about the fact that you're driving behind someone who's suicidal. I mean I cleared my windows enough to make it safe/legal to drive in about 30 seconds. Even if you were in a rush, you could get there faster and safer by taking a few extra seconds to clear your vision. It's near impossible to justify reasonably (Hell, drink driving is more justifiable).

I rarely get mad at people... but that driver is such a fucking idiot. Sorry to be so crass, but... seriously? ...Seriously?!

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Screech: you know how the expansion of the universe is supposedly speeding up, and the placeholder name for the cause of this is called dark energy. I've been thinking - when you look at distant galaxies, you're seeing them how they were billions of years ago, in a younger universe that was smaller than it is now. If the universe was more compressed spatially, could it not have been more compressed in the time axis too? Could the apparent acceleration not simply be an illusion created by time itself being stretched?

If the time was compressed then you'd expect to see the rate of expansion slowing down not speeding up.
my pronouns are they

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:44 pm UTC

I have an extremely strong sense of balance. It's basically useless aside from Acrobranch (where they have safety harnesses slowing me down anyway), skying (and I hate skying) or falling.

But tonight this talent was put to use.

After vising my grandparents, my ride back home was delayed for a long time. As it did, my urge to pee rose very quickly. After I finally got out from the vehicle, I was confronted by a vast expanse of half-frozen snow on a weirdly inclined street. "oh putain chier", I muttered into my breath. Then I abandoned care and ran through. Running is just controlled falling anyway: this was merely expert mode. I managed to keep in check the erratical slipping and sprawling, staggering and sliding my way home at great speed. Then finally, release!

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Screech: you know how the expansion of the universe is supposedly speeding up, and the placeholder name for the cause of this is called dark energy. I've been thinking - when you look at distant galaxies, you're seeing them how they were billions of years ago, in a younger universe that was smaller than it is now. If the universe was more compressed spatially, could it not have been more compressed in the time axis too? Could the apparent acceleration not simply be an illusion created by time itself being stretched?

If the time was compressed then you'd expect to see the rate of expansion slowing down not speeding up.

How would you even be able to observe time compression from inside the universe?
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

If the compression is different in different regions, then that might be observable. You'd have to subtract the effects from things like relativity first.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:If the compression is different in different regions, then that might be observable. You'd have to subtract the effects from things like relativity first.

Seems like what you'd observe would look a lot like relativistic effects. Changes in effective mass, distortions in space, etc.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

My assumption is, as someone who doesn't know shit about Space beyond High School level more or less, the people who figure that the universe is expanding faster have taken the whole Time/Space thing into account.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

Fair enough, and I almost didn't ask the question for precisely that reason. But fuck it, how am I supposed to find out this stuff without asking stupid questions when none of the literature I've found about it mentions this as a possible factor? I figure there are probably folk around here who know the subject and can tell me something along the lines of "that idea was dismissed because X" or "it doesn't fully account for the observed acceleration" or "you've got it completely arse-backwards because Y".

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:16 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:without asking stupid questions

Good luck with that. Maybe you can hope the knowledge spontaneously occurs in your neural pathways.

yurell

Postby yurell » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

Slyreaper, would there be a difference between time expanding through an unknown agent and the Universe accelerating through an unknown agent?

Also, no need to worry about stupid questions. Every question is good when you ask it, and will feel stupid when you know the answer, yet good it will remain!
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:19 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Fair enough, and I almost didn't ask the question for precisely that reason. But fuck it, how am I supposed to find out this stuff without asking stupid questions when none of the literature I've found about it mentions this as a possible factor? I figure there are probably folk around here who know the subject and can tell me something along the lines of "that idea was dismissed because X" or "it doesn't fully account for the observed acceleration" or "you've got it completely arse-backwards because Y".

You know how the expansion of the universe is supposedly speeding up, and the placeholder name for the cause of this is called dark energy. But when you look at distant galaxies, you're seeing them how they were billions of years ago, in a younger universe that was smaller than it is now. If the universe was more compressed spatially, wouldn't it not have been more compressed in the time axis too? Could the apparent acceleration not simply be an illusion created by time itself being stretched? What am I missing or not understanding?

Pretty much like that. Whenever you're asking a question that seems to have an obvious flaw or something that would make it not accurate yet is understood to be (more or less) accurate by people who are incredibly educated about the subject, it's usually best to start with the assumption that you are incorrect, but that you don't understand why you are incorrect.

As an aside, I've never liked the "There's no such thing as a stupid question" thing, as .. there totally is such a thing as a stupid question. I don't think there's such a thing as a stupid question asked in good faith by someone who is attempting to understand, though. Perhaps that's just too many caveats for a easy to digest snippet.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

yurell

Postby yurell » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:36 am UTC

I think those caveats are implied in context, SecondTalon, although I will admit that's what I mean whenever I use the expression.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:21 am UTC

There are only three stupid questions, and they are:

Is this going to be on the test?
Do we have to do the homework?
Do we have to know this?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:24 am UTC

yurell wrote:I think those caveats are implied in context, SexyTalon, although I will admit that's what I mean whenever I use the expression.

Problem - the sort of person who understands those implied contexts is also the sort of person who isn't asking a bad faith, not paying attention sort of question

yurell

Postby yurell » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:35 am UTC

Fair enough

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:41 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
eSOANEM wrote:

How would you even be able to observe time compression from inside the universe?

A good point. I'm assuming some sort of extrinsic time (which isn't good from a physical pov) and wrt this the expansion of the universe is constant.

If the compression of time was different at different points, you might see effects without extrinsic time but you'd expect any acceleration (taken radially) to be distributed evenly on either side of 0 rather than almost all being +ve like we actually do see.
my pronouns are they

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:19 am UTC

Ivora wrote:i fell for your jivin' and i took you in
Now all you got to offer me's a drink of gin
Why don't you do right, like some other men do?

Hey, I actually recognized a song on here for once! Have you heard the Rasputina version?
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:19 am UTC

So, I'm stuck at work alone at night, and I decided to see which of my bookmarked webcomics aren't blocked.

NOT BLOCKED
Cyanide & Happiness
Penny Arcade
Questionable Content
Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal
Abstruse Goose
Farvatoons/Air Force Blues
xkcd
Shortpacked (which is weird because Dumbing of Age is blocked)

BLOCKED
Doghouse Diaries (Webfilter Category: Blogs/Personal Pages)
Dumbing of Age (Webfilter Category: Entertainment;Blogs/Personal Pages)
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:23 am UTC

And now you know which comics the IT guys read.
my pronouns are they

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:25 am UTC

Also, pretty much every audio streaming service is blocked. Pandora, Last.fm, Grooveshark, Slacker Radio, etc.

Except Live365. Odd.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:01 am UTC

I used a broom to clear my car of snow this morning. It amused me.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:04 am UTC

I know you did not ask me.
The math is really hard. I can't do it.
Not many people understand dark matter nor time very well.
Time is so very familiar. We share language about time. We are able to use our understandinging of time to organize and plan and work together. Dark matter? No clue? That's fine.
We have low expectations for our understanding of dark matter.

But; Time?! We should understand time. It is so common. Yet; We don't.

Yes. I like your idea. Time stretching.
The way I understand it, now. Time changes form, like everything else. Time is real, yet it is hard to see. Most people can feel it. Under stable conditions, time varies wildly.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:13 am UTC

Tell us more. Time is stretched?
It was compressed?
It could be backwards.
As space stretches, time may compress.

I have no idea. That is hard to think about.

Maybe time is not real. We, just, made it up so we could meet around the campfire outside the cave; Same time, next time.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

Fuckin' deja vu. Every damn day.

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:There are only three stupid questions, and they are:

Do we have to know this?

Especially the last one.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:23 pm UTC

Do we have to know this?

After having some professors who ramble off onto things not even closely related to the topic, the first and last questions can sometimes be valid. Especially because they would randomly put SOME of their off-topic ramblings on tests and some not.

maninblack
Location: I'm out of my mind at the moment please leave a message after the beep.

Postby maninblack » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

Chen wrote:

Do we have to know this?

After having some professors who ramble off onto things not even closely related to the topic, the first and last questions can sometimes be valid. Especially because they would randomly put SOME of their off-topic ramblings on tests and some not.

I once had a professor state that the chalk board behind him was orange. (It was in fact green.) That became a question on the exam, orange was the correct answer. I got it wrong. :sigh:
addams wrote:It was like a game of Rugby and I was the Puck. Yeah. I was taking a beating and I was in the wrong game.
roband wrote:If this is a serious question, the answer is no.
If it's a philosophical one, I have no idea.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

maninblack wrote:
Chen wrote:

Do we have to know this?

I once had a professor state that the chalk board behind him was orange. (It was in fact green.) That became a question on the exam, orange was the correct answer. I got it wrong. :sigh:

You're joking, right. Please tell me you're joking? Or that you went to clown college.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

Seriously? That's a power trip on a par with Big Brother insisting 2+2=5. How was he able to get away with that?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Seriously? That's a power trip on a par with Big Brother insisting 2+2=5. How was he able to get away with that?

...Colorblindness?

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Seriously? That's a power trip on a par with Big Brother insisting 2+2=5. How was he able to get away with that?

...Colorblindness?

It's still a stupid question to ask on an exam.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Return to “General”