Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

addams

Re: Unfetched hashes and turtle-excluding devices

Postby addams » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:26 am UTC

!EarthQuake!
It was not much.

2 to 3, maybe.
Still, !EarthQuake!

The little ones are, sort of, fun.
Another, My Mom story.
Spoiler:
My Mom believed in EarthQuake Weather.
I learned enough about EarthQuakes to know she was Wrong, before I was 10.

Now, I know enough to know she may have been correct.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:06 pm UTC

What about turtle tracking devices?

Cute little Loggerheads.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:56 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Flat vs realism

Oh, a nice parallax story... WHAT THE FUCK-

These "scroll down"-designs are annoying as fuck when you don't have any means to scroll down other than the arrow keys.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:00 pm UTC

Or when the page doesn't like Firefox, or whatever it is that makes it effectively a .jpeg the size of my monitor. (I even enabled scripts.)
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:35 pm UTC

I have never seen a parallax scrolling website that conveys any useful information whatsoever. It is best to ignore them and hope they go away soon. (though I did quite enjoy that one)

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:48 pm UTC

That was an incredibly obnoxious UI. I assumed it was put together by an animation student who didn't know much about web design throwing bits of HTML5 at the screen, not a "digital partner", whatever that might be.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:04 am UTC

If it let you just click and drag the scroll bar it would have been okay...

But holding the down arrow actually made it go at a reasonable pace.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:58 am UTC

It was meant to tell a story, so I accepted the ostentatious transitions and effects. If any real website trying to convey information used that style I'd punch them in the face.

I enjoyed the fighting minigame, though.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:56 am UTC

It wasn't the art style that annoyed me, it was how you had to scroll to make it play, and that the graphics filled my browser window. The first made it annoying to watch, and the second made it annoying to watch and look sloppy. I don't understand why they didn't just make a video, holding the down key didn't add any value to the presentation.
--Flobots "Mayday"

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:26 pm UTC

Steax wrote:It was meant to tell a story, so I accepted the ostentatious transitions and effects. If any real website trying to convey information used that style I'd punch them in the face.

I enjoyed the fighting minigame, though.

I saw a real website trying to convey information using this type of presentation like yesterday. It also had malplaced old reddit memes strewn about the background for no reason.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:43 am UTC

I just realized, when I use the punctuation keys on the right side of the keyboard, I almost universally use my right index finger (pivoting my hand around the little finger, which moves to the 'shift' key). The only exception is typing an apostrophe or backslash, for which I use my right little finger. Similarly, if I type a word containing a 'Q', I always use my left ring finger, not my little finger. I guess this is because one is supposed to use the left shift to type upper-case characters with one's right hand, and vice versa, but I almost always use the right shift regardless of which key I want.

Is this normal, or have I always been typing weirdly?

These symbols are all typed with my right index finger, but touch typing charts say they should be the little finger (or, for a couple, the ring finger): ( ) - _ = + [ { ] } ; : " , < . > / ? P
These symbols are typed with my left ring finger, but touch typing charts say they should be the little finger: q ! Q A Z
These symbols are typed with my left middle finger(?!): ` ~

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:32 am UTC

Does the new facebook look have an inch of dead space on either side of the screen for anyone else? It's terrible.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:01 am UTC

Angua wrote:Does the new facebook look have an inch of dead space on either side of the screen for anyone else? It's terrible.

Only on the left, for me. At least, using IE11 on this computer. I don't really mind the new layout.

EDIT: Oh wait, yeah. Both sides. I was counting the update/chat bit as the 'side', but you meant the main bit.

yurell

Postby yurell » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:08 am UTC

Angua wrote:Does the new facebook look have an inch of dead space on either side of the screen for anyone else? It's terrible.

Facebook has had a third of the screen being whitespace for me ever since I started using it (three years ago); maybe they just hate widescreen.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:19 am UTC

yurell wrote:

Facebook has had a third of the screen being whitespace for me ever since I started using it (three years ago); maybe they just hate widescreen.

A lot of web design people are of the opinion that using the full width of a widescreen display is bad practice, I believe. The vast majority of modern, well-designed websites I use have dead space at the sides of their main content. For example, the BBC, eBay, Cracked, Facebook, Google, New York Times, Guardian... basically every tab I have open right now except the fora and Amazon.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:21 am UTC

I still don't have the new Facebook layout. I never even got the last update to the layout.

Oddly enough, my mother, who only has one friend on Facebook (me), has been getting these layouts almost immediately as they're announced.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:50 am UTC

It just happened spontaneously while I was at pool.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:01 am UTC

Adacore wrote:A lot of web design people are of the opinion that using the full width of a widescreen display is bad practice, I believe.

It's not so much "considered bad practice" as... well... it's easier to build a fancy layout with a fixed width, when you don't have to deal with all that inconvenient flexibility and different-sized-windows that users are so fond of attempting to view your site through. Whereas if you make the site fixed-width, then it's so much easier to make the layout excessively fancy, because you can lay everything out precisely and know it'll look the same for everyone, whether it's appropriate for their browser window size or not.

Suffice it to say, I'm not a fan.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:17 am UTC

I actually approve of it (if it's done properly). I never need to read a line of text that goes all the way across my screen. That's just uncomfortable. Having a big screen is good for games, movies and using multiple windows on the same screen - not for presenting information.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:57 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:I just realized, when I use the punctuation keys on the right side of the keyboard, I almost universally use my right index finger (pivoting my hand around the little finger, which moves to the 'shift' key). The only exception is typing an apostrophe or backslash, for which I use my right little finger. Similarly, if I type a word containing a 'Q', I always use my left ring finger, not my little finger. I guess this is because one is supposed to use the left shift to type upper-case characters with one's right hand, and vice versa, but I almost always use the right shift regardless of which key I want.

Is this normal, or have I always been typing weirdly?

These symbols are all typed with my right index finger, but touch typing charts say they should be the little finger (or, for a couple, the ring finger): ( ) - _ = + [ { ] } ; : " , < . > / ? P
These symbols are typed with my left ring finger, but touch typing charts say they should be the little finger: q ! Q A Z
These symbols are typed with my left middle finger(?!): ` ~

I, on the other hand, use the left shift key exclusivly, to the point where if I need to write something like £ or $ I will use the left shift key and hit the second key with the main finger of my right hand. No idea how normal this is though, and it does lead to my left little finger getting sore after a while of typing.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

tms

Postby tms » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:16 pm UTC

I use my middle fingers for anything on the backspace row, since they are the closest. Any other finger would mean I'd have to move my wrists, which happens if I go for the function keys.

My screen is 5:4 and yet my browser window is not using the full width. I like to use smallish fonts though. So I hardly notice narrow designs.
- No, son. I said 'duck'.
- Duck duck duck duck! Duck duck duck duck!

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:47 pm UTC

I've solved my problem with facebook, with the combination of zooming in to get rid of the dead space, then using facebook purity to make the font the right size.

Just in case anyone else was annoyed as well.
GNU Terry Pratchett

3rdtry

Postby 3rdtry » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:55 pm UTC

Walking back home. There seem to be some police over there. No big deal. Woah, there seems to be an awful traffic jam too, I've never seen one like that here before. Maybe the traffic lights aren't working? No, they seem fine. Suddenly some people screaming. More police. More police. More people. Oh god is there a protest down there? Must be a big one. Jesus, more police. I start to get scared. What if there was a terrorist attack or something? Will I make it home safely?

Then I see some people with colorful scarves. I check the internets. Yep, FC Barcelona vs Manchester City FC :x .

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:30 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I actually approve of it (if it's done properly). I never need to read a line of text that goes all the way across my screen. That's just uncomfortable. Having a big screen is good for games, movies and using multiple windows on the same screen - not for presenting information.

^ This!!!!!
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:59 am UTC

Tiling window managers are the way forward.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:01 am UTC

But since I put lots of tabs on one browser window, it just forces me to reorganize my window layout if I'm switching from one site to the next.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Dissident Love

Postby Dissident Love » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:34 am UTC

On my extra wide monitor, I have two browsers side by side. I find it works awesome for 98% of well designed sites.
addams wrote:The whole of the US Population is a Special Needs Group.
Yeah, but we're just ordinary Earthlings, not wierdos from another planet like he is.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:17 am UTC

Collecting music recommendations this evening:

I have a jam tomorrow with friends I haven't played with for several months. I'd like to load my mental loops with new and interesting stuff before I go. Anyone have suggestions?

I play keys, and some of the things I consider interesting include: Bjork, Tune-Yards, Oumou Sangare, Tom Waits, Talking Heads/David Byrne, and I'll stop before I get too excited about who else should go in this list...

Edit to add: now this gets creative. Wow.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:47 am UTC

I just found out that they're opening a Chipotle in Mobile soon.

It's a shame I'm in Biloxi, where there isn't one. And it's a shame there aren't any Chipotles in Hawaii, where I'm moving in a month.

:(
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

elminster

Postby elminster » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:47 pm UTC

I was unaware of exactly how slippery a glass backed phone would be, but somehow even several degrees of unevenness is enough for one to slide across a table slowly. Finally, my phone took one journey off a table too many and cracked the back surface. I'm seriously surprised a phone slides across a table easier than a euro rolls balanced on it's edge. I guess a screen protector might have helped... purely for the extra friction, not protection from scratching. Never thought inability to not move on surfaces would be my #1 gripe with a phone.

Rise and shine, it's coffee time.

Dissident Love

Postby Dissident Love » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:34 pm UTC

Shiny means fancy. I'm surprised my tablet isn't Teflon.
Yeah, but we're just ordinary Earthlings, not wierdos from another planet like he is.

Mambrino

Postby Mambrino » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:45 am UTC

Is this a thread where I am allowed to celebrate my 101st post? If this is the case: yay!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:07 am UTC

Congratulations on having a palindromic postcount.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:11 am UTC

Thank you for finding something nice to write.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Dissident Love

Postby Dissident Love » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:32 am UTC

Mmmmm, fish cakes taste better when you shape them like little fish.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:17 pm UTC

http://smbc-comics.com/?id=3299
Search your breasts; you know it to be true!
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

sockpoppet

Postby sockpoppet » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:02 am UTC

@Dissident Love: Just wanted to tell you, nice avatar ;). Took me about 5 minutes to find the exact source, not sure if I should be proud of that...

Also, what's with this forum's uptime? Should I start a crowdfunding project to pay for new servers?

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:17 am UTC

It's likely the same issue as last time. Not much davean can do about spam attacks.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:55 am UTC

Hell-o;
You people are like people to me.
I wonder; Will the Memory Hole eat my Post?

(shrug) If it doesn't, I am going to tell you exactly what I think.

I think about those Santa Ana winds.
The wind is blowing where I am, too.

This might frighten a child.
That Gangster Guy that was hanging around here,
Why was he here? (shrug) I am not sure.

He wanted to; I guess.
The sound of the wind frightened him.

He had lived in this flat. Swear!
He lived here before I did.

What a fucking mess.
I was a little frightened of The Dirt and The Smell.
Not the wind.

The windows are 1970 metal framed insulated windows that slide.
Very common on the West Coast of the US during the boom to provide hounding to The People.

This building got revamped. FIFTY years ago!
The windows don't close neat and easy, anymore.

The small gap acts like a wind instrument.
That Gangster was afraid of that sound.

I know how to make it Really Eerie.
I am so bad. (tee hee)

It is a long and lonesome sound.
When I am alone, I often adjust the windows.

The Wind today got my attention.
It is beautiful. I know. We can't see The Wind.

We can see and hear it, As it interacts with the world around us....
Well...Fuck...I see it.

The water looks like icing on some beaches.
It is coming across the Shallow curved beaches in low white waves.
It looks like icing. Pretty.

It howls through cracks in the Architecture.
The long grass on the hill sides wave in the wind.

Not gently like the grass of inland people.
But; Fierce waves of wind bending the grass to show its pale under leaf.

The hills look like waves of water.
I know they are grass.

I was wondering about the Santa Ana winds.
Are they still blowing? Very different wind.

The wind here if full of water.
It is so full of water, well...

Take my word on it.
There is water in this air.
Even if you can't see it.

Thesh is living though the Santa Ana winds.
I have done that. I know what it is like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCLpLWcX2cg
On a Good Day, That is what it is like.

The Santa Ana winds end,
Many people are changed by The Wind.

Some know it.
Some don't.

Prisoners of War and other people that have been through difficult experiences,
Have what was called, "The Thousand Yard Stare".

People that have been through the Santa Ana winds,
sometimes get the "Thousand Yard Stare"
if the subject of The Wind comes up.

I talk a lot.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:14 am UTC

addams wrote:Santa Ana winds.
One of the things I miss about living in California is the Santa Anas. Those warm, summertime afternoon winds were very comforting and made playing outside in the evening quite wonderful.
--Flobots "Mayday"

Return to “General”