Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Re: Fluff

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:33 pm UTC

FierceContinent wrote:
Angua wrote:What does it say about you when you see a gold on black gucci logo out of the corner of your eye andyour first thought is " Batman has a perfume now? "

it means you have an allergy to wheat.

"Well, its better than Vista."
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:45 pm UTC

Angua wrote:What does it say about you when you see a gold on black gucci logo out of the corner of your eye andyour first thought is " Batman has a perfume now? "

Seriously though it means you are a comic book aficionado.
good thing!
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceHero

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:45 pm UTC

I don't think I've ever read a comic book in my life (there are no comic book stores here).

I did like cartoons though :)
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:33 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:Hello all!
I would be happy to announce my awesome return to these blessed fora.

after returning from my assignment, i am now permitted, encouraged even, to have an online presence.

i may not have quite the activitity levels or post count i used to, work is terribly busy these days, but ill be around :)

Good to see you again!

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:18 pm UTC

I came out of my office today to get something off the printer. As I turned the corner, my supervisor's wife was coming the other direction, and I accidentally elbowed her in the face. So, I thought "Oh, shit! I just elbowed my supervisor's wife in the face!" And then I tried to dodge. That's when I tripped. My supervisor came out of his office to see what the *thud* was. He saw me getting up off the floor, and his wife - a tiny Filipino lady - was standing over me, laughing and cleaning her glasses. The look on his face wasn't one of concern for either of us. It looked like he was thinking something along the lines of "Whatever you said or did, you should have known better".
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:01 pm UTC

Yablo wrote:I came out of my office today to get something off the printer. As I turned the corner, my supervisor's wife was coming the other direction, and I accidentally elbowed her in the face. So, I thought "Oh, shit! I just elbowed my supervisor's wife in the face!" And then I tried to dodge. That's when I tripped. My supervisor came out of his office to see what the *thud* was. He saw me getting up off the floor, and his wife - a tiny Filipino lady - was standing over me, laughing and cleaning her glasses. The look on his face wasn't one of concern for either of us. It looked like he was thinking something along the lines of "Whatever you said or did, you should have known better".

Falling over is probably one of the better responses to elbowing your supervisor's wife in the face.

This reminds me of the time I knocked my plant physiology professor across the teaching labs during a practical by turning around straight into him (I had "safety" glasses on that didn't offer much in the way of peripheral vision and the fact that I'm 6'1'' and quite stocky, compared to his 5' nothing and slim probably factored into it too).

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:53 am UTC

Angua wrote:I was not supposed to be alone this weekend, but my bf decided camping was more important than spending the last weekend with me before I go.

The Lemonheads - The Outdoor Type

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:58 am UTC

A zoo is a post-scarcity environment for its inhabitants.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:06 am UTC

What about territorial animals? Is land a good?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:49 am UTC

You have a point. I guess it depends on the animals' well-being. If they're doing fine, it's maybe fair to say they have enough area/space.

Mostly the post was about noticing a sort of juxtaposition between the concepts.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:11 pm UTC

It's Independence Day!!!!!!!
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:22 pm UTC

*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:10 pm UTC

Angua wrote:It's Independence Day!!!!!!!

It is also: https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/talk ... irate-day/
Arr!
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:13 pm UTC

I really hate the fact that our independence day has been co-opted by the pirate people.

Especially as I get told that when I talk in dialect it sounds like pirate speech.

/grumble
GNU Terry Pratchett

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:39 pm UTC

If it makes you feel better St Patrick's day is apparently also submarine day https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/submarine-day/

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:05 pm UTC

FierceContinent wrote:If it makes you feel better St Patrick's day is apparently also submarine day https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/submarine-day/

More importantly, it's my birthday. My wife tells me I'm not allowed to claim to be 112.5% Irish. I'm 1/8 Irish, but apparently being born on St. Patrick's Day doesn't give me the right to add another 100%.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:30 pm UTC

I like to think July 4th is the day the Higgs Boson was announced

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:32 pm UTC

Neil deGrasse Tyson apparently has family on SKN!!!

Most interesting Independence day fact :)

Also, something something Thomas Jefferson (already knew about Hamilton).

https://www.facebook.com/USEmbassyBarbados/photos/a.365977422469.161254.275249287469/10152219199197470/?type=1&fref=nf
GNU Terry Pratchett

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:06 pm UTC

Oh, that explains the flag. Maybe I'll put mine as my avatar for our independence day. Maaaaaaaaybe.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

addams

Postby addams » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:42 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Neil deGrasse Tyson apparently has family on SKN!!!

Most interesting Independence day fact :)

Also, something something Thomas Jefferson (already knew about Hamilton).

https://www.facebook.com/USEmbassyBarbados/photos/a.365977422469.161254.275249287469/10152219199197470/?type=1&fref=nf

That was nice.
Little did I know...

St. Kits....
It's always Hot in St. Kits.
Isn't it?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:56 am UTC

Depends on your definition of hot. I certainly remember having to wear hoodies occassionally. It was probably a frosty 24C.

We have had hail in living memory. Not mine, but sometime in the late 80's.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/33729/Basseterre-St-George-Basseterre-Parish-St-Kitts-and-Nevis
GNU Terry Pratchett

addams

Postby addams » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:26 am UTC

Thank you for the link.
ok. It's not hot.

It's funny.
The coldest day of the year is February 20, with an average low of 74°F and high of 83°F.

We will think of you on Febuary 20.

For the few hours of daylight we have,
We can think of you. Where it's not hot.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:58 am UTC

Angua wrote:Depends on your definition of hot. I certainly remember having to wear hoodies occassionally. It was probably a frosty 24C.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/33729/Basseterre-St-George-Basseterre-Parish-St-Kitts-and-Nevis

Note to self - do not go to st kitts. Death awaits. Fiery, hot death.

21c is too damn hot. 15c is comfy. Cold starts around ... I dunno, 0c? -5c? Something like that.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:20 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Angua wrote:Depends on your definition of hot. I certainly remember having to wear hoodies occassionally. It was probably a frosty 24C.

Note to self - do not go to st kitts. Death awaits. Fiery, hot death.

21c is too damn hot. 15c is comfy. Cold starts around ... I dunno, 0c? -5c? Something like that.

Interesting. For me 20-25c = nicely warm, good for watersports, t-shirt and shorts hiking and climbing etc. >30c = too damn hot, 15c is a boring in-between temperature (neither really warm enough for watersports, nor cold enough for snowsports) and -20-3c is lovely and cold with great winter sports/beautiful frost possibilities (my favourite range). Less than -20 has too much frostbite potential for my liking.

tms

Postby tms » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:15 am UTC

Over 30 C is not comfortable in any situation. -15 C is like, okay, fine, now go away for a year, I'm not leaving.
- No, son. I said 'duck'.
- Duck duck duck duck! Duck duck duck duck!

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:27 am UTC

I think after living in South Korea for 4 years my maximum comfortable temperature has increased a bit. I'm mostly fine with 26-27C now, so long as I'm in the shade and not doing anything too active. Less than 16C or so is annoying because I have to start thinking about additional layers, but not really unpleasant until it gets below about 5C. Even below that I don't mind it too much. I'd much rather have -10C weather than 35C (which are, approximately, the extremes here).

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:35 pm UTC

For me, anything from 15ºC ~ 24ºC is really comfortable. ST, you will definitely want to add a note not to come to Brazil as well. I live in the southmost state, and our summers can get crazy hot sometimes (42ºC crazy).

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:39 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:31 pm UTC

Yeah, I grew up in Florida in a house with no A/C. I've lived in Texas and am currently in Alabama. You'd think I'd be just fine with summer heat. Nope. Not so much. While 21ºC isn't too bad, I'm a lot happier at 15ºC as well. I very much wish I could move someplace with less appalling weather.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:22 pm UTC

I think 10C is about the ideal outdoor temperature. You can perform just about any physical activity without breaking a sweat.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:11 pm UTC

This reminds of something I always used to wonder about.
Why do animals adapt to extreme conditions when they can just move?
Why did polar bears spend millions of years evolving to life in the arctic when they could have easily moved south at any time?

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:23 pm UTC

Some did. But usually the nearby area is crowded with other predators: moving takes energy, and puts you at a disadvantage compared to the locals. Others moved from crowded southern areas north.

The ones with a slight comparative advantage to being further north (compared to other predators) ended up more common in the north. They probably still flowed north and south over a range. Go south far enough, and a different eco system with a different optimal alpha predator will make your ability to compete get worse. Or maybe the southern end of your range is overrun with cougars, who eat your food: so the proto-polar bears far enough south die out, while the northern ones don't have a cougar problem (and even though they have less food usually, they are doing fine during cougarpocolypse).

Over time, the ones that are more often north accumulate comparative advantages to being north, while those further south accumulate similar comparative advantages. When one population surges, it flows into the other, but the comparative advantages give each side an edge.

Eventually such specialization makes the northern proto-polar-bear incompetent far enough south, while the southern proto-polar-bear incompetent far enough north (compared to the other subtype). Maybe they still interbreed, but the resulting offspring are often incompetent both north and south.

Random mutations lead to different appearance clustering, and those that prefer to breed with ones whose appearance lines up with their adaptations start winning out. They treat things that they don't mate with as food/rivals, and slowly stop interbreeding. Speciation accelerates.

This is a just-so story more than anything else. Its aim is to make it seem plausible, not produce testable facts.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:58 pm UTC

FierceContinent wrote:This reminds of something I always used to wonder about.
Why did polar bears spend millions of years evolving to life in the arctic when they could have easily moved south at any time?

Life is a puzzle. Odd shapes open up, and if you have to sand off a corner to fit, you sand off a corner to fit. You *could* completely hack bits and pieces off to take off a tab here and reconstruct a block there, but.. if you can just shave a corner a bit and you fit in here, you'll just shave the corner and fit here.

That's Survival of the fittest.

Or, y'know... what Yakk said.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:39 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:I think 10C is about the ideal outdoor temperature. You can perform just about any physical activity without breaking a sweat.

10C is getting cold enough to trigger my exercise-induced bronchoconstriction, which is annoying.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:52 pm UTC

Excellent autocorrect:

The Mists of Avalon => The Nudists of Avalon
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

addams

Postby addams » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:55 pm UTC

FierceContinent wrote:This reminds of something I always used to wonder about.

We all know that is a silly question that needs answering over and over again.

It's one of the Why? questions.
What a wonderful answer Yakk gave.

It was a joy to read.

Silly questions spawn other questions that might not be so silly.
People can decide to move away from Bad Weather.
Animals can not make that conscious decision.

People know what they are doing when they live in Weird places.
Why do we do it? We could all meet on the 30th parallel.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:56 pm UTC

My favourite radio programme did an interview with my favourite guitarist. This makes me happy.

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:10 pm UTC

I see.
Thanks yakk.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:49 am UTC

Quercus wrote:My favourite radio programme did an interview with my favourite guitarist. This makes me happy.

He's one of my favourite guitarists, too. Richard Thompson wrote one of my favourite songs: Beeswing. It's great that he's still playing and writing. IMO, he was always a remarkable musician, but he seems to be getting even better!

And Richard's played with my favourite bass player, Danny Thompson (no relation). But here's a clip of Danny with John Martyn giving a rather poignant performance of John's classic song about Nick Drake, Solid Air.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:58 am UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:
Quercus wrote:My favourite radio programme did an interview with my favourite guitarist. This makes me happy.

He's one of my favourite guitarists, too. Richard Thompson wrote one of my favourite songs: Beeswing. It's great that he's still playing and writing. IMO, he was always a remarkable musician, but he seems to be getting even better!

And Richard's played with my favourite bass player, Danny Thompson (no relation). But here's a clip of Danny with John Martyn giving a rather poignant performance of John's classic song about Nick Drake, Solid Air.

That's a treasure of a recording, thanks. By way of reciprocation have you come across the acapella cover of Beeswing by the Futureheads. I'll warn you, it's quite "different" so it's probably one of these love it or hate it things. I'm in the love it camp (it's not a patch on the original of course, but then 95% of all music is not a patch on Richard Thompson performing Beeswing).

Return to “General”