Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SurgicalSteel

Re: (F)leeting (A)nd (R)andom (T)houghts

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:42 pm UTC

I'm not actually a cop, though I can see how my last sentence of my first paragraph makes it sound that way. What I meant was, since Officer Wilson was a cop, he wouldn't be restricted by any magazine capacity laws Missouri might have (I don't know if they do), so he probably carried the 12 round magazine instead of the 10 round.

Also, here's an interesting article about a criminal who took 17 .45 caliber rounds before stopping his attack, despite nothing showing up on the tox screen.
http://www.policeone.com/patrol-issues/ ... n-the-job/
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Sombrero Cat

Postby Sombrero Cat » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:23 pm UTC

Interesting. I still think cops should be required to wear cameras while on duty. Just remove the guess work from the equation. In this case, there were choices that officer Wilson (6'4 250lbs.)could have taken to stop this tragedy. I have a gut feeling that he acted out of anger and adrenaline after getting slapped around. Perhaps the training programs need to be reviewed. Don't get me wrong, that kid was a thug, no question. However, did he deserve to die? It will be interesting to see what comes out in the civil and or federal investigation.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:17 pm UTC

Oh, body-cameras and a thorough review of training and engagement and escalation policies absolutely needs to happen. No argument there at all. Cops also need to be held to the same standard as non-LEOs. I have little doubt that if Darren Wilson wasn't a cop there would have at the least been an indictment and a jury-trial.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Sombrero Cat

Postby Sombrero Cat » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:42 pm UTC

Yup.

_______

No, crazy duck billed platypus broke my new laptop. Luckily I was able to get Old Bess up and running. She certainly has a future in bottom feeder espionage. No Forwarding address...

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:17 am UTC

I really want this wine. They only ship to Taiwan. Can anyone think of a way I could get it sent to Florida?
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:45 am UTC

Pretty much the only way that's going to happen is if you fly to Taiwan.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:36 am UTC

Yakk wrote:It is determined both by the physics of proteins and light. Light, because the visible spectrum is right smack in the middle of the brightest part of The Sun's light that reaches Earth. Proteins, because what frequencies exactly they respond to is based off their structure, including the extent of the gamut (there are UV-seeing critters with different proteins).

As well as the protein thing, there's also the transition metals. Those d orbital electron transitions tend to be in the visible spectrum, thus transition metal compounds tend to have pretty colours. Traditional pigments tend to be based on transition metal compounds, many modern pigments use non-toxic (or at least, less toxic) organic compounds. So there's interesting inorganic chemistry associated with photons in the visible spectrum, but I don't know how much that had to do with the evolution of colour vision, since living things tend not to use transition metals for pigmentation. :)

There are creatures that can perceive infra-red, but AFAIK their infra-red transducers work differently to the visible range rods & cones, since IR is more associated with molecular vibrational modes rather than simple electron transitions. Insects generally have a vision range that's shifted to higher wavelengths compared to humans', ie red is just high infra-red to them and not particularly visible, but they can see ultraviolet, and many flowers that look drab to human vision are much more interesting if you can see in the low UV.

The human retina can actually detect UV, but the lens doesn't transmit it well. In earlier times, people who'd had their lenses removed because of cataracts gained UV vision, but of course the extra UV on the retina isn't healthy and so modern intra-ocular replacement lenses filter the UV. But a former Fellow of the RAS told me many years ago of an old astronomer who'd had a cataracts operation and managed to get some spectacles with quartz lenses made for him so he could view the stars and planets in UV. :)

Sombrero Cat

Postby Sombrero Cat » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:42 pm UTC

Hola US, hope you are well. Happy Thanksgiving! I'm sure there are companies or individuals that would forward the wine. It's gonna require time, money, and trust. You must really like this wine! People do international distribution out of Florida all the time. Items purchased on e-bay...Contact a business that's involved in international shipping, distribution...Cheers!

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:12 pm UTC

Happy Thanksgiving!

I just had the following conversation with myself:

Me: "I wish there were elevators outside, but sideways, to take you places."
Me (after a moment's thought): "Yes, okay, those exist and they are called trains."

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:14 pm UTC

"... and God bless all the illegal Mexican immigrants who picked most of the food we're eating. Amen."

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:29 pm UTC

MJ, I don't know if it's intentional but your avatar makes me think of

addams

Postby addams » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:56 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:
Sombrero Cat wrote:So, police are trained to empty their clip in a public area?
Not exactly. Police are trained, like non-LEO civilians who carry guns are, to shoot to stop the threat, which often means kill the threat. In practice this can mean emptying the magazine since the first couple times you pull the trigger and nothing happens might be the first opportunity for tunnel vision to abate and the situation to be re-assessed. It'd be nice if it was possible to take two or three shots, check your work, then take more shots if need be, but the reality of fearing for your life and the speed at which most encounters occur make that unlikely. If the officer was legitimately fearing for his life, emptying the magazine is understandable.

If he was fearing for his life, it shouldn't matter how many shots he fired as long as he stopped as soon as he was able to re-assess the situation and determine that the threat was no longer imminent; if he wasn't, he shouldn't have even raised his weapon from low ready, let alone fired shot 1. Ferguson PD carries Sig Sauer P229s in .40 S&W (or at least Officer Wilson did), which have 10 and 12 round magazines. As a cop I imagine Officer Wilson carried a 12 round magazine.

Please note that everything except the last two sentences are general statements not pertaining specifically to the Ferguson, MO situation.

I read some of the documents that were in a link inside the discussion of ...Well...The Ferguson Thing.
http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/ ... rt-01.html
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2014/11/ ... index.html
Are those Real?
They seem Real enough to discuss.

Behind a Spoiler.
It turned into a Rant or Something.
I don't know where I'd move it to.

I suppose it is a Brain Fart and it should stay here on the Random Fart Thread.

Spoiler:
The police firearm was drawn while the Policeman was still in the car.
Some outfits have a Mantra. "Keep One in The Chamber." That's Philosophy for ya'.

From what I read, The Cop was getting out if his car, Mike Brown shoved the door shut on the man, The Cop's firearm discharged inside the car, Mike Ran,

AssHole was Hot on his Trail.
Mike Stopped, turned and tried to surrender.

I like to think, Mike's death was fast.

The way Bradicyanes work;
He felt a blow, not mediated pain.

He may have felt the first bullet.
After that, Mike Brown was dead.

I'd charge that Wilson character with Corpse Abuse.
That was a crime when I came from.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:34 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:Happy Thanksgiving!<br abp="794"><br abp="795">I just had the following conversation with myself:<br abp="796"><br abp="797">Me: "I wish there were elevators outside, but sideways, to take you places."<br abp="798">Me (after a moment's thought): "Yes, okay, those exist and they are called trains."

:D
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceHero

addams

Postby addams » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:43 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:Happy Thanksgiving!

Me (after a moment's thought): "Yes, okay, those exist and they are called trains."

Trains?
Yes. I've seem them.

They Are like sideways elevators.
Some are scarier than others.

Do you have a Best train ride?
I do.
Spoiler:
It was a simple affair.
It was in the Scotish Highland.

I had walked a long way over the last two weeks.
I had walked eighteen miles two days in a row.
I was so fucking tired.

I could walk.
I didn't want to.

I got on a Train.
From the Train, I could see The Trail for a while.
It felt so good to be spiriting along Effortlessly.

I loved those forests as much or more from the Train.
I know what the lichen and leaves look like up close.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:09 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:Happy Thanksgiving!

http://qz.com/303624/maglev-elevators-are-coming-that-can-go-up-down-and-sideways/
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Sombrero Cat

Postby Sombrero Cat » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:09 pm UTC

Do they use bots for live chat customer service?

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:54 pm UTC

Hi Internet, I'm looking for a quote and I could have sworn I knew how it went but I can't find it on the internet. I know I've seen it around ... somewhere. I've seen it on tumblr but tumblr is not very good at archiving and so if I've "liked" it or not there is impossible to tell without hours of work. Maybe one of you remembers it more readily and have better-honed hunches. I appreciate any thought and work that goes into finding this quote for me.

It goes something like this below, but much smoother and well-said, of course:

What people don't understand about fantasy is that you have to define your magic, or it will be cheating. Magic has to have a cost, or you could solve the plot with it. In science fiction, it's more fuzzy.

I think it was Terry Pratchett who said it.

In trying to find it I found a similar quote that doesn't say what I wanted to find, but hits some of the same points. So it's possible that he's said part of it before (we all have soundbites; some more gracious than others) or that he just said something similar to what I first heard, and that I substituted the author in my head.

The wrong quote:
Terry Pratchett wrote:Well, if we're getting down and dirty, you can make magic very quickly just by changing one single thing in the world. If you change the speed of light, for example, things would be different. If you took the moon away, things would be different.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

addams

Postby addams » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:57 pm UTC

Sombrero Cat wrote:Do they use bots for live chat customer service?

There is a fun idea.
The creatures created for computer games as live chat customer service.
Big Titted Women, Delightful Children, some Intimidating Fat Rat Bastard.

It all makes perfect sense.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:21 pm UTC

This?
If you use magic in fiction, the first thing you have to do is put barriers up. There must be limits to magic. If you can snap your fingers and make anything happen, where’s the fun in that? … The story really starts when you put limits on magic. Where fantasy gets a bad name is when anything can happen because a wizard snaps his fingers. Magic has to come with a cost, probably a much bigger cost than when things are done by what is usually called ‘the hard way.’
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:29 pm UTC

Deva wrote:This?
If you use magic in fiction, the first thing you have to do is put barriers up. There must be limits to magic. If you can snap your fingers and make anything happen, where’s the fun in that? … The story really starts when you put limits on magic. Where fantasy gets a bad name is when anything can happen because a wizard snaps his fingers. Magic has to come with a cost, probably a much bigger cost than when things are done by what is usually called ‘the hard way.’

You're fantastic, thank you. <3
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:14 am UTC

I love this, but I'm nervous enough that something's going to go wrong with the existing type of elevator; I'd be afraid that something didn't latch correctly when switching from vertical to horizontal or vice versa.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:03 am UTC

When reading all those posts that mentioned LEOs I kept thinking about satellites...

Is it just a coincidence that LEO is the abbreviation for Law Enforcement Officer and Low Earth Orbit?

:)

Sombrero Cat

Postby Sombrero Cat » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:33 am UTC

bones have been picked on the turkey. nada grub para ti.dont make me go video on your culo. Seems simple to me. no jobs, more people. enjoy your history lesson. the slow play, lols.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:46 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:

You're fantastic, thank you. <3

I wonder sometimes if we have already created artificial intelligence, and it is called Deva.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:43 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:
Is it just a coincidence that LEO is the abbreviation for Law Enforcement Officer and Low Earth Orbit?

No, not a coincidence - it's because the initial letters of each phrase are "L", "E" and "O" :D

A lesson which Patrick Rothfuss has taken to heart (well, as well as Ursula Le Guin before him).

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:38 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:
PM 2Ring wrote:

No, not a coincidence - it's because the initial letters of each phrase are "L", "E" and "O" :D

The initials coincide, if you will.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:34 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:
Quercus wrote:
PM 2Ring wrote:

The initials coincide, if you will.

Touché

addams

Postby addams » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:37 pm UTC

Maybe, US Americans are the most Lost people of all.
Very few have deep roots in the land of the US.

They are the descendants of people that went away and got lost.
Some knew they were Lost. It never occurred to others.

Think about it.
Something deep within the US American.

They go off looking for themselves.
Who has to Circumnavigate the Planet in search of Self??

Americans. That's who.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Sombrero Cat

Postby Sombrero Cat » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:59 am UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y_KJAg8bHI

Some people like learning for themselves. I like to switch up my news sources and verify the information with my own peepers. Mucho nasty all over the world...the depths and justification never cease to amaze.
Last edited by Sombrero Cat on Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:12 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Eomund

Postby Eomund » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:11 am UTC

I just watched National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and realized that their lights display was supposed to be ridiculously over the top. However, it is tame compared to some of the houses around here. :shock:

addams

Postby addams » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:42 am UTC

A Fleeting Thought.
My last name is Addams.

Like the Addams Family.
I can, at the edges of my mind, imagine a situation where a group of fairly bright people must think of and perform an experiment.

One little Smarty Pants pipes up, "I Know! Let's redo the Stanford Prison Experiment."
I'd not miss a beat. "Yes! Good Idea! I'll be The Guard, this time."

In the Art Medium the Addams Family, they did Horrible things to each other.
They did not bear grudges against one another. They made Bigger Bombs.

On some level, I relate to those people.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Sombrero Cat

Postby Sombrero Cat » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:28 am UTC

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:44 am UTC

addams wrote:A Fleeting Thought.
My last name is Addams.

Like the Addams Family.
I can, at the edges of my mind, imagine a situation where a group of fairly bright people must think of and perform an experiment.

One little Smarty Pants pipes up, "I Know! Let's redo the Stanford Prison Experiment."

In the Art Medium the Addams Family, they did Horrible things to each other.
They did not bear grudges against one another. They made Bigger Bombs.

On some level, I relate to those people.

Until now I was never sure if Addams was your real name or you took it from that show.
It looks like a good show. I should watch it sometime.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Sombrero Cat

Postby Sombrero Cat » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:18 pm UTC

yup, that's the tyrant mofo. lying bag of wrinkly shite...No doubt yearns to massage interns and silence opposing voices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSxCT1Faw6k
Last edited by Sombrero Cat on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:12 pm UTC

My last name is Addams.
Like the Addams Family.I can, at the edges of my mind, imagine a situation where a group of fairly bright people must think of and perform an experiment.
In the Art Medium the Addams Family, they did Horrible things to each other
They did not bear grudges against one another. They made Bigger Bombs. On some level, I relate to those people.

*snap* *snap*
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceHero

addams

Postby addams » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:50 pm UTC

bachaddict wrote:

Until now I was never sure if Addams was your real name or you took it from that show.

Yes. Addams is my name.

I don't even attempt to hide my Identity.
What would be The Point?

Yes. Watching that Art Form might be a fun thing to do with friends.
It can be a real Gold Mine of Ideas.

Why not build a Model Train and blow it up, while Uncle Fester is on it?
He's been blown up before.

Oh! People used to make Models of all manner of things.
Then Blow them up. Or; Flood them. Before Computers.

Here is one.
http://www.spn.usace.army.mil/Missions/ ... enter.aspx
It is a museum piece, now. It was a Working Model, then.

We need People like the Addams Family, to inspire us.

We don't need the Bay Model guys, anymore.
We have computers.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Sombrero Cat

Postby Sombrero Cat » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:26 am UTC

Needless to say, don't allow them anywhere near your computer. Don't borrow any DVDs either.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:37 am UTC

addams wrote:
bachaddict wrote:

Yes. Addams is my name.

I don't even attempt to hide my Identity.
What would be The Point?

There are enough Addamses in your country that you can hide in the crowd.
I can't do the same.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

he/him/his

addams

Postby addams » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:56 am UTC

Where are you?
Christ?
Where in Christ's name is Christ?

Seriously.
I'm an American.

If we are not at War there,
we, kind'a, don't know it.

A link might help.
I can't help but wonder.

Did we stop by and shoot things up a bit?
History books say we do that from Time to Time.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:40 am UTC

Oh, to be in Christ is a biblical reference. A simple way of showing my faith.

he/him/his

Return to “General”