Thoughts for ships

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quercus

Re: (F)leeting (A)nd (R)andom (T)houghts

Postby Quercus » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:37 am UTC

Keyboards are annoying me too at the moment - I spilled some water on my (wired Apple) keyboard on Thursday. Now I need to get a new keyboard. It pisses me of that the thing isn't at least splash-proof.

On that point does anyone know of a nice-to-use, low profile (because I need to be able to hang the thing on my wall when I'm not using it as my desk is so small) keyboard which is waterproof?

addams

Postby addams » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:17 am UTC

There are covers for keyboards that are durable.
Don't give up on your keyboard too soon.

I know they can dry out.
Well...The mouse can.

My Random Thought.
Oh! Naked! NSFW.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_0r9KVfDbP4E/S ... 130x97.jpg

If that Link is a picture of a picture, I did it Right.
I like that painting. I'm not sure Why.

Is it the composition?
I think it is.

What the Heck is that in the water?
I don't care.

The human figures in the foreground are interesting.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:52 am UTC

So few things about that picture make sense. It's hard to imagine what was going through the artist's mind. Like, "I'm gonna put a yellow triangle above this woman's head. Yeah, that looks good."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:41 pm UTC

strake wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:
strake wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:Because we have to draw a line somewhere.

so... why not 16? 21?

Is 18 years somehow a biologically significant age for a human?

Because 18 is the most common Age of Majority. No real other reason.

If you want to talk biologically significant, 26.

So
SecondTalon wrote:I don't think the argument of 'it was legal where it was filmed' is ethical

but you think 'it would have been legal in most jurisdictions' is?

State your case or shut the fuck up

There, now you can feel smugly superior because I cursed first too.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:45 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:So few things about that picture make sense. It's hard to imagine what was going through the artist's mind. Like, "I'm gonna put a yellow triangle above this woman's head. Yeah, that looks good."

It's the tip of a gigantic drill, it warns us from a robot invasion.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:59 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:Keyboards are annoying me too at the moment - I spilled some water on my (wired Apple) keyboard on Thursday. Now I need to get a new keyboard. It pisses me of that the thing isn't at least splash-proof.

On that point does anyone know of a nice-to-use, low profile (because I need to be able to hang the thing on my wall when I'm not using it as my desk is so small) keyboard which is waterproof?

What Addams said: don't throw away your keyboard just because it is malfunctioning after you spilled some water on it. It's very likely that the thing will work 100% perfectly again once you manage to dry it completely. As a first trick, you can try submerging it in a sealed bag of (dry, uncooked) rice for at least one night. If that doesn't entirely solve the problem, use an air dryer. Still not perfect, use those packets of moisture-absorbing silica beads and repeat the same treatment as with the rice. People have saved smartphones in such ways. If you can save a wet smartphone, you can save a wet keyboard.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:28 pm UTC

Jplus wrote:
Quercus wrote:Keyboards are annoying me too at the moment - I spilled some water on my (wired Apple) keyboard on Thursday. Now I need to get a new keyboard. It pisses me of that the thing isn't at least splash-proof.

What Addams said: don't throw away your keyboard just because it is malfunctioning after you spilled some water on it. It's very likely that the thing will work 100% perfectly again once you manage to dry it completely. As a first trick, you can try submerging it in a sealed bag of (dry, uncooked) rice for at least one night. If that doesn't entirely solve the problem, use an air dryer. Still not perfect, use those packets of moisture-absorbing silica beads and repeat the same treatment as with the rice. People have saved smartphones in such ways. If you can save a wet smartphone, you can save a wet keyboard.

That's why I posted on Sunday that my keyboard got water in it on Thursday - it's been in a very warm, very dry airing cupboard for pretty much 100 hours now, and not a single key that was broken when I tested it at 48 hours is working again, so I think it's dead.

I think the problem was that I didn't realise that I'd spilled water on my keyboard for several hours (it was just as I was getting ready in the morning: my room was dark and I thought I'd got lucky and missed it). It therefore had power to it while wet for a while, which probably wasn't great for it. Hopefully that's the last gadget I get wet for a while (luckily my smartphone is waterproof). Last week I dropped my digital cooking thermometer in the sink. That was fine after a 12 hour soak in distilled water, full disassembly and thorough drying though (yay for gadgets that you can actually take apart with a screwdriver and fix).

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:43 pm UTC

I remember once I spilled a small amount of tea on my keyboard, but I didn't immediately do anything about it (didn't realise it had gone between the keys).
Disassembly revealed corrosion on the conducting tracks; sellotaping small bits of wire over the damage worked fine.

speising

Postby speising » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:48 pm UTC

back in the days, my C64 got multiple cocoa drinks, apple juice, and coffee in it's ventilation slits. never had a problem with that :)

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:00 am UTC

Xenomortis wrote:I remember once I spilled a small amount of tea on my keyboard, but I didn't immediately do anything about it (didn't realise it had gone between the keys).
Disassembly revealed corrosion on the conducting tracks; sellotaping small bits of wire over the damage worked fine.

Well it would be nice if the apple keyboard was capable of being disassembled - I'm halfway sure I could fix it if it was. Unfortunately it's hopelessly glued.

Why the hell they don't go ahead and pot it in epoxy to make it waterproof if they're gluing it anyway I do not know, well I do know - it's more expensive and would result in fewer sales of replacement keyboards.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:05 am UTC

Why do socks come in packages with different colours anyway? Why not all the same?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:21 am UTC

Because humans like variety / choice, I suppose.

Having said that, last time I bought socks, I bought 20 identical pairs so I could just dump them all in a draw and not ever have to worry about odd socks.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:48 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I guess at a certain point, you just reach that stage.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.htm ... 34cdbc3f43

That is hysterical.
Seven children?

They have seven children!
Maybe, it's a genetic problem.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:41 am UTC

Adacore wrote:Because humans like variety / choice, I suppose.

Having said that, last time I bought socks, I bought 20 identical pairs so I could just dump them all in a draw and not ever have to worry about odd socks.

Wearing one worn-out and one fresh sock feels weird though.
addams wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I guess at a certain point, you just reach that stage.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.htm ... 34cdbc3f43

That is hysterical.
Seven children?

The many children or the many socks is genetic?
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:13 am UTC

I mean the color inside a pack. Every time I buy a pack of 5 pairs there are 5 different pairs in them. Why not 5 the same pairs?
Of course different packs will always have different colors and that is how it should be. And especially awesome socks will usually come as a pair instead of a pack of them.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

addams

Postby addams » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:28 am UTC

bachaddict wrote:

That is hysterical.
Seven children?

The many children or the many socks is genetic?

Both.
In that family, it must be both.
When at their best, people are funny.

It's funny.
The best use of that guy's time, one week before moving house with seven children, was to Sell MissMatched Socks on The Internet.

I call Avoidance Strategy.
It can't be Ego Preservation.

He has at least eight people that preserve his ego.
All he has to do is glance at them.

He may not like what he sees.
So, he sells their socks.

If he wasn't spending his time tapping out messages on The Internet, his clan might not have Lost 700 socks.

His life would be more orderly.
Our lives would be less textured.

His loss; Our grin.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:57 am UTC

Adacore wrote:Having said that, last time I bought socks, I bought 20 identical pairs so I could just dump them all in a draw and not ever have to worry about odd socks.

I think I have a pile of about 20 socks in my room, but I swear none of them match any others. I cannot see how this is possible.
And O(n2) takes on new meaning when trying to find pairs of socks in the morning.

Bekah

Postby Bekah » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:57 pm UTC

lots of kids these days (girls at least) wear mismatched socks....best fad ever!

and having seven children means the guy has likely just discovered the internet, he was clearly busy elsewhere all his life, its a new thing, and as such, its bright and shiny and he finds it helpful to share his socks with the world.

what a crazy looking blanket one could make with all those socks.
We do not have to succumb to the tyranny of our own self judgement~~Rolf Gates

Dee Dee: Dexter, what's wrong?
Dexter: I have no friends, and I am totally unpopular.
Dee Dee: Duh.

cemper93

Postby cemper93 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:37 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:
Adacore wrote:Having said that, last time I bought socks, I bought 20 identical pairs so I could just dump them all in a draw and not ever have to worry about odd socks.

I think I have a pile of about 20 socks in my room, but I swear none of them match any others. I cannot see how this is possible.
And O(n2) takes on new meaning when trying to find pairs of socks in the morning.

Actually, you can "sort" (actually "match", that is, divide into equivalence classes) n socks in O(n * k) time, where k is the number of differentiating characteristics (that is, when they have different colors, patterns and sizes, but everything else is equal, k would be 3). Since k will usually be much lower than n, such an algorithm is much superior to the primitive insertion sort that most people perform when sorting their socks:

Code: Select all

Throw all socks on one pile
While the socks aren't matched:
    Choose a characteristic c with m different qualities that has not been cared for yet
    For each pile:
        Create m new piles
        For each sock in the pile:
            Hash it by c and throw it onto the appropriate new pile

I stole this from stackoverflow

speising

Postby speising » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:44 pm UTC

depends on the number of piles and your floorspace whether you can do this.

cemper93

Postby cemper93 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:46 pm UTC

Determining this algorithm's floor space complexity is left as an exercise for the reader. ;)

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:50 pm UTC

If you stole it from stackoverflow, include a link back. :p

Second, note that finding a pair is O(n) assuming they are all paired. Pick one, then search linearly for its match. Sure, not good in the long term, but fastest in the short.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

cemper93

Postby cemper93 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:10 pm UTC

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:12 pm UTC

My problem is that the majority of my socks collide during the hashing process.
And the majority do not appear to have a matching pair!

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:06 pm UTC

I've been trying for two years to get to a point in my washing cycle where I'm sure all my socks are clean and dry so I can throw away any which still don't match. I haven't managed it yet.

Yes, I know I should just go through my sack of dirty washing, sort out all the socks and wash them seperately, but honestly it's never enough of a priority to justify the time, and having the Sisyphean task of constantly trying to get to a point where all my washing is clean and dry so I can sort out socks at least makes sure that I keep on top of it to some degree.

Edit: I'm also gratified to note that I've been using the most efficient sock hashing algorithm intuitively for years (I also use it for filing paperwork, with my initial metric normally being "can I just throw this away").
Last edited by Quercus on Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:10 pm UTC

Am I the only person who doesnt pair socks? I just wear odd socks all the time (I try to make sure they are the same colour, but not very hard)

Though today I am not wearing odd socks by coincidence.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:13 pm UTC

Diemo wrote:Am I the only person who doesnt pair socks? I just wear odd socks all the time (I try to make sure they are the same colour, but not very hard)

Though today I am not wearing odd socks by coincidence.

I don't really mind the look of it, but wearing socks that feel even slightly different (tightness, thickness, texture etc.) annoys the hell out of me, so I have to pair.

Also, my new keyboard arrived today, and I can't stop sniffing it - for some reason I love the smell of certain new electronics (I think it might be the protective film they cover stuff with).

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:30 pm UTC

Couple of years ago, I threw out all of my socks and bought a bunch of identical ones. Then I got boots and needed longer socks, so I purchased identical long socks. Whenever these socks start getting worn, I will just throw them away and, when I have fewer than three pairs left, I'll throw them all out and buy more identical socks.

Because fuck matching socks after doing laundry.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

natraj

Postby natraj » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:55 pm UTC

i barely even own any socks that match. i often don't even buy socks in pairs to begin with. i have large drawers full of socks that aren't in pairs, never were in pairs, are gloriously unmatchy, and that is how i like them. they have delightfully bizarre colours and patterns and are joyful.

i do get them in the same lengths and thicknesses though. i group my socks in drawers according to lengths, so that when i pull them out i get two that are knee-high or thigh-high or whatever. that is as far as my sock-matching goes.

okay that's not true, i will colour-coordinate my socks to some degree. but only to a degree. when any given sock has at least seven different colours on it there's only so far you can go with this.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:59 pm UTC

Yeah, I make sure that both socks are the same thickness/length in general (and as far as I can in 5 seconds, the same colour). But pairing them takes way too long
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:12 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Couple of years ago, I threw out all of my socks and bought a bunch of identical ones. Then I got boots and needed longer socks, so I purchased identical long socks. Whenever these socks start getting worn, I will just throw them away and, when I have fewer than three pairs left, I'll throw them all out and buy more identical socks.

Because fuck matching socks after doing laundry.

Americans...
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceHero

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:18 pm UTC

Imagine you get paid 20% more (GDP per capita at PPP) but worked 26% more (20% longer workweek, 5% higher labour force participation). (Ireland vs USA, world bank figures)

You'd be tempted to throw out socks rather than sort them too.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

cemper93

Postby cemper93 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:21 pm UTC

The relation between GDP and average or median fortune isn't really there. JSYK.

EDIT: Obviously, the median household income in PPP in the US is still much higher than in Ireland (31k$ vs 22k$). So your point still stands.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:52 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:Imagine you get paid 20% more (GDP per capita at PPP) but worked 26% more (20% longer workweek, 5% higher labour force participation). (Ireland vs USA, world bank figures)

I don't understand. Don't both Ireland and the U.S. have 40-hour work weeks, and two-day weekends?
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:54 pm UTC

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:25 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:
Yakk wrote:Imagine you get paid 20% more (GDP per capita at PPP) but worked 26% more (20% longer workweek, 5% higher labour force participation). (Ireland vs USA, world bank figures)

I don't understand. Don't both Ireland and the U.S. have 40-hour work weeks, and two-day weekends?

Ireland has an average full time worker spent at work week of 39.7. news story level source.
USA has an average full time worker spent at work week of 47 hours. Only 42% work 40 hours or less. news story level source.
Ireland has 60% labor force participation. USA has 63%. That's another 5% more time spent at work (on average) per capita.

Now, Ireland does have a higher fertility rate (2.01 instead of 1.8) which is pretty large impact on "free time to sort socks" I find.

Amusingly, USA has 20% higher GDP per capita at PPP, but works 25% more to get it. Inefficient, no?

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:59 am UTC

Matching socks is kinda zen for me.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:04 am UTC

Yakk wrote:If you stole it from stackoverflow, include a link back. :p

Second, note that finding a pair is O(n) assuming they are all paired. Pick one, then search linearly for its match. Sure, not good in the long term, but fastest in the short.

Nope.
Fastest in the short run is spread them out.
We have good and fast eyes.

Find two that will do.
Then, fix your fucking socks, at the first possible moment.

Socks take on a life of their own, if you let them Boogie in the Rave of the Washer with other people's things.
The washer is just the beginning.

After the washer, the dryer using The Power of Static Cling sets socks on Epic Journeys
They crawl into the sleeves of sweaters and shirts. They cozy down in pant legs.

They even fine that dark spot in the washer or dryer where they lie very still for a long time; Hiding.
If you share that wash day Boogie with other people, kiss your socks Good-Bye. Or; Be proactive in folding.

Can you imagine mixing laundry for seven people under the age of 18 with the laundry of two Adults?
Little Jimmy finds Suzie Q's pink My Little Pony sock working its way out of his pant leg as he and his buddies are making an entrance.

Those are character building experiences.
A man makes the decision to have a vasectomy in such moments.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:07 am UTC

I do the same thing every few years. I own a bunch of pairs of identical white socks, and a few pairs of identical black socks for those rare ocasions when I need to wear a suit. A couple times, I even requested large quantities of identical socks for Christmas.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Return to “General”