Thoughts for ships

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

addams

Re: (F)leeting (A)nd (R)andom (T)houghts

Postby addams » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:49 pm UTC

WilliamTheConqueror wrote:
jobriath wrote:
WilliamTheConqueror wrote: b) want me to take care of myself like this because i'm a 17 year old. damnit.

(also, i quite like your avatar! this is the first time i've seen it.)

Housemates who have their stuff together often cook for one another, because like addams says, it's a lot of wasted effort if everyone cooks for themselves. So! Suggest a cooking rota. You cook every Nth meal, where N is the number of independent people in your household.

It's what independent people do! Plus, if you cook horribly enough, they'll quietly forget to remind you it's your day!

that... actually sounds like a good idea!! once my parents have cooled off i'll bring that up as an option. (although there's 9 people in my house, 3 of which are adults. D: that may get expensive quickly)

You, WilliamTheConqueror, are an interesting person.
So young, so bright...you must be a pain in the ass.

I listened to an educator that had been required to take continuing education about Bright and Gifted students.
She said the subject and the subjects of the subject were Boring to her.

She likes working with retarded students.
She understood them in ways she could Never understand you.

Personally; I like you.

edit: Thank you.
I like my photo, too.
BlitzGirl msde it possible.

She's real.
I met her.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:06 pm UTC

There's nothing nicer than sitting at home, listening to the torrential downpour of rain on a galvanised roof, while the world looks white around you.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

addams

Postby addams » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:13 pm UTC

Home Sweet Home.
I am glad for you, Angua.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:25 pm UTC

Ohh, I do love that, though sitting in a greenhouse while torrential rain hits the roof is a little better. As you chant "FUCK YOU SKY!"
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

roband

Postby roband » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:31 pm UTC

A walk in cold rain on a hot night.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:35 pm UTC

Diemo wrote:Ohh, I do love that, though sitting in a greenhouse while torrential rain hits the roof is a little better. As you chant "FUCK YOU SKY!"

My favourite is lying down in the back seat of a car, watching the street lights make strange and beautiful patterns through the rain running down the windows, while listening to Sigur Rós. You feel like you're in a Scandinavian arthouse movie.

Another random, although not fleeting, thought: I can't bring myself to like any double flower (the fancy frilly ones with two layers of petals - most roses are double) since I took a plant sciences module during my degree. I now know all about the mutation that leads to the stamens being turned into petals, thus destroying the original function of the flower. Now when I see a double flower I just see something that was once beautifully functional, but is now broken.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:16 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
bachaddict wrote:Currently in 13th place out of 43 entries in a LEGO contest. Makes me wish I'd worked on my creation a bit more!
I feel a little sorry for the four entries with no votes, but it's easy to see why they have none :/

Can I ask for a link?

Definitely! My entry is #5 if you want to find it quickly.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:30 am UTC

bachaddict wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
bachaddict wrote:Currently in 13th place out of 43 entries in a LEGO contest. Makes me wish I'd worked on my creation a bit more!
I feel a little sorry for the four entries with no votes, but it's easy to see why they have none :/

Can I ask for a link?

Walking robots are always awesome.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

addams

Postby addams » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:59 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
bachaddict wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

Can I ask for a link?

That thing is so good it's scary.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:21 pm UTC

addams wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
bachaddict wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

Can I ask for a link?

That thing is so good it's scary.

Thanks, quite a few people thought that :)

21 and 26 are still the clear winners.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

he/him/his

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:37 pm UTC

I sense a lot of machismo in that contest (at least in the choice of projects). Kudos for the technical skills though!

On a more general note: reading this thread has cheered me up. Just what I needed.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:35 pm UTC

Jplus wrote:I sense a lot of machismo in that contest (at least in the choice of projects). Kudos for the technical skills though!

On a more general note: reading this thread has cheered me up. Just what I needed.

LEGO Technic mostly comes as vehicles, so that's what you see the most of.

he/him/his

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:53 pm UTC

Yay for lego spiders - that's awesome!

I also liked the ice-breaker/dozer/road-roller. Put me in mind of some sort of dystopian ice-age future, where those things trail-blaze roads through the arctic wastelands (there's more than a bit of the sledge trains from Neal Stephenson's Anathem in my mind).

strake

Postby strake » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:44 am UTC

Quercus wrote:Another random, although not fleeting, thought: I can't bring myself to like any double flower (the fancy frilly ones with two layers of petals - most roses are double) since I took a plant sciences module during my degree. I now know all about the mutation that leads to the stamens being turned into petals, thus destroying the original function of the flower. Now when I see a double flower I just see something that was once beautifully functional, but is now broken.

It's not broken; it merely has a new mode of reproduction, horticulture, in which a double flower can be highly adaptive.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:00 am UTC

strake wrote:
Quercus wrote:Another random, although not fleeting, thought: I can't bring myself to like any double flower (the fancy frilly ones with two layers of petals - most roses are double) since I took a plant sciences module during my degree. I now know all about the mutation that leads to the stamens being turned into petals, thus destroying the original function of the flower. Now when I see a double flower I just see something that was once beautifully functional, but is now broken.

It's not broken; it merely has a new mode of reproduction, horticulture, in which a double flower can be highly adaptive.

More, please.
From both of you.

There is so much I don't know about Flowers.
How do doubles happen? One more time.

Something different from the virus in the tulips.
http://io9.com/5905247/the-virus-that-d ... ch-economy

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:37 am UTC

strake wrote:

That's a very good way of looking at it. You might have cured my aversion to doubles. Thank you. The loss of sexual reproduction results in decreased genetic variation and probably increased disease susceptibility over time, but that doesn't really matter if you've co-opted humans to propagate and defend you.

@addams - I'll get back to you with the details - I need to dig out my notes on flower development to make sure that I'm getting it right (my plant sciences course was 6 years ago now).

addams

Postby addams » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:45 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:
strake wrote:

That's a very good way of looking at it. You might have cured my aversion to doubles. Thank you. The loss of sexual reproduction results in decreased genetic variation and probably increased disease susceptibility over time, but that doesn't really matter if you've co-opted humans to propagate and defend you.

@addams - I'll get back to you with the details - I need to dig out my notes on flower development to make sure that I'm getting it right (my plant sciences course was 6 years ago now).

Have you read, The Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Botany_of_Desire

I liked the writing style.
Very chatty.

Like a friend explaining Why things are the way they are.

The book was broken into distinct chapters.
Each chapter (as I remember it) could stand alone.

What a great BedSide Book for a Guest Room.
Well...?? I'm old fashioned. ooops. Wi-Fi.

I forgot about Wi-Fi.
...As I am using it.
(bad me.)

As I was Googling around, I found this:
http://www.pbs.org/thebotanyofdesire/

(shrug) You may find it entertaining.
Have you located those notes, yet?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ThirdParty

Postby ThirdParty » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:34 am UTC

The other day I heard a quote that was something along the lines of "There are two types of people in the world. Those who walk into a room and say, 'Well, here I am!' and those who come in and say 'Ah, there you are!'"

My first reaction was that the "There you are!" person is self-centered: he's saying something the listener already knows, showing a basic lack of Theory of Mind, and is basically looking at every event in terms of how it is of interest to himself. "There you are, I've been looking for you, let me tell you what you can do for me." In contrast, the "Here I am!" person is showing awareness that other people have needs and perspectives different from his own, and making known a willingness to help if there is something he can do to help. "Here I am, if you've been looking for me, please tell me what I can do for you."

But the person who quoted it went on to say "Don't be a 'here I am' person". So apparently "Here I am!" was intended to represent self-centeredness and "There you are!" was intended to represent empathy--the exact opposite of my interpretation. I can't quite figure out why it would go that way. I mean, yeah, it's a little conceited to think that one's presence is going to be important enough to others to be worth announcing, but surely it's even less likely that they will need their own presence announced to themselves. And I guess "Here I am!" could be interpreted as "Here I am, in case you've been looking for me in order to give me something", but it seems like quite a stretch compared to my reading of "Here I am, in case you've been looking for me in order to get something from me".

It's been bothering me ever since. The more I think about it, the less sure I am about which type of person is which. I'm pretty sure that I'm the type of person who tends to say "there you are", but that just makes matters worse since that means that if I'm self-centered then I'm correctly understanding what an empathic person would say, but if I'm empathic then I'm not. :?

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:37 am UTC

ThirdParty wrote:"Here I am, if you've been looking for me, please tell me what I can do for you."

I think it's that "if" that is what's different about your interpretation... replace it with, say, "obviously" and see how differently the sentence reads...

I think that's what the quote is trying to get across... what it's calling the "here I am" mentality is something like "whatever you were doing before I showed up is unimportant to me, now that I am here we can start doing my thing"... a mentality that the party doesn't start until you walk in, everyone's just waiting for you to arrive.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

addams

Postby addams » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:45 am UTC

Thank you Internet and ThirdParty.
Now, it's bothering me.

Here you are.
Here I am.

What Now!?
Now, What??

...(whimper)..

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:52 am UTC

@Thirdparty: you are thinking of a real world situation, where as the author was just trying for the easiest analogy flattly showing who someone prioitizes.
ImageImageImageImageImage

strake

Postby strake » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:57 am UTC

ThirdParty wrote:The other day I heard a quote that was something along the lines of "There are two types of people in the world. Those who walk into a room and say, 'Well, here I am!' and those who come in and say 'Ah, there you are!'"

Some people walk into a room and are silent.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:00 am UTC

Yeah, but nobody ever hears from them
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:48 am UTC

"Here I am": I am the important thing that is happening. You have been waiting for me whether you know it or not, now behold my splendor. I may grant you audience, if it suits me.

"There you are": You are the important thing that is happening. I'm glad I found you. (Other people would be too, but right now it is me that has this good fortune!) I hope you will grant me audience.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:06 am UTC

There may only be two kind of people.
I heard there are four kinds of men.

1. A man that Knows and Knows he Knows.
2. A man that Knows and does Not Know he Knows.
3. A man that does Not Know and Knows he does Not Know.
4. A man that does Not Know and does Not Know he does Not Know.

What kind of man are you?
Does it give you a bad case of Dunning–Kruger?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Sombrero Cat

Postby Sombrero Cat » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:19 am UTC

Viva Mexico!

ThirdParty

Postby ThirdParty » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:41 am UTC

suffer-cait wrote:the author was just trying for the easiest analogy flattly showing who someone prioitizes.
But if I prioritized you, then wouldn't I say something that you might find interesting rather than saying something that's only news to me?

phlip wrote:what it's calling the "here I am" mentality is something like "whatever you were doing before I showed up is unimportant to me, now that I am here we can start doing my thing"
That makes some sense, but couldn't it just as easily be the other way? "Whatever you were doing before I showed up is unimportant to me, so now that I've found you I can pull you in to my thing" vs. "I'm here and ready to join into whatever's going on".

To my ear, "there you are" still sounds like something one says immediately prior to saying something else, whereas "here I am" sounds like something one says prior to pausing to see how the other person reacts. Both are interruptions, but the former is more of an interruption than the latter.

ucim wrote:"Here I am": I am the important thing that is happening. You have been waiting for me whether you know it or not, now behold my splendor. I may grant you audience, if it suits me.

"There you are": You are the important thing that is happening. I'm glad I found you. (Other people would be too, but right now it is me that has this good fortune!) I hope you will grant me audience.
"Here I am": I am important to you. "There you are": You are important to me.

Suppose what was in question was not the meeting of two people, but an inanimate object. "Here it is!" would mean I'd come to bring something to you; "there it is!" would mean I'd come to take something from you.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:35 am UTC

addams wrote:There may only be two kind of people.
I heard there are four kinds of men.

What kind of man are you?
Does it give you a bad case of Dunning–Kruger?

It depends on the situation
Sometimes I am a man that Knows and Knows he Knows.
Sometimes I am a man that Knows and does Not Know he Knows.
Sometimes I am a man that does Not Know and Knows he does Not Know.
Sometimes I am a man that does Not Know and does Not Know he does Not Know. I try to minimize those cases. People in that situation are dangerous.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

jobriath

Postby jobriath » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:38 am UTC

Worth observing that "there you are!" contains all of the information of "here I am!", unless the contents of the room are used to being addressed by things other than people. In this way, it can be interpreted as "here we are!" without the connotation that there is a "we".

Trying to interpret either of these two stances as a literal means of initiating a conversation strike me as taking a (something-like-a) thought experiment too literally.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:32 am UTC

Yes, neither of these are things that are literally spoken. They are shorthand for two different social stances - the "here I am" stance could be rephrased as "me, me, everybody pay attention to me", whereas the "there you are" stance is more "I've noticed you and am interested in you/what you need". It's simply conveying where you're focused in the interaction - are you more concerned with you getting the most out of the interaction, or the other person getting the most out of it.

The aphorism is stating that generally a default of being mostly concerned about the other person leads to more productive interactions all round.

There are three possible scenarios here:
  • Both parties "taking" - this mode of interaction can get stuff done, but is generally unpleasant and confrontational.
  • One party "giving", the other "taking" - This is okay occasionally, but if it's the general pattern of interaction it tends to lead to only the "taking" party getting what they want, at least until the "giving" party gets sufficiently pissed off to stop cooperating.
  • Both parties "giving" - This is the optimum scenario. Stuff gets done, and in a collaborative and friendly manner.

Because of this I'd say that the aphorism you heard is the most basic level, I'd express the next level up as: generally be a "socially giving" person, but know when to cut off someone who's "taking" all the time, and know how to ask for stuff you need even when it's not being offered.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:15 pm UTC

Internet's back! That was surprisingly efficient - they must have accidentally turned us off or something, though why they did so on a Saturday is beyond me.

For the record, I read the 'here I am' as the self-centered one as well because you're basically like 'look at me everyone!'.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:58 pm UTC

ThirdParty wrote:HereIAm/ThereYouAre

I may be mistaken, but it appears that you are approaching it from the viewpoint of the speaker.

Reverse it. Be the listener. There you are, doing your own thing and some asshole Kramers through the door with a "Here I am!"

Fuck that guy. Nothing good has ever happened after that. That person wants you to drop your shit and pay attention to them.

On the other hand, you're doing your own thing and some asshole Kramers through the door with a "There you are!"

While it's true there's a 50/50 chance they're just going to drag you in to whatever bullshit hijinks they have going on that day as an accessory, true... there's an equal chance they're doing you a service.

But I'd still amend the saying to be "There's two kinds of people - the first announce themselves with a Here I Am / There You Are with no regard to what the situation is because they're assholes who cannot conceive of a world in which they aren't even a side character. The second kind keeps their goddamn mouth shut and gets a lay of the land first to see if there's even a reason for them to be there"
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:46 pm UTC

And the third sneaks out quietly before they can overcome their social-anxiety, and isn't counted because nobody ever knew they were there.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:47 pm UTC

I'd argue that still falls under "Keeping quiet, getting a lay of the land, deciding they are not needed in this situation" type 2 people
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:58 pm UTC

Unless they know they are needed in the situation, but sneak out anyway.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:59 pm UTC

addams wrote:I heard there are four kinds of men.

Socrates would argue that he was kind #3, and that all other men were kind #4.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:04 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:Unless they know they are needed in the situation, but sneak out anyway.

I could argue that at no point in my two types assumption am I declaring whether or not the person is needed, nor making a judgement on what they do when they discover that they are/are not needed.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:20 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Quercus wrote:Unless they know they are needed in the situation, but sneak out anyway.

I could argue that at no point in my two types assumption am I declaring whether or not the person is needed, nor making a judgement on what they do when they discover that they are/are not needed.

You could, and I therefore retract my statement. I would still argue that the behaviour I describe is not particularly optimal, but I accept that optimal behaviour isn't the basis of your classification.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:21 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I'd argue that still falls under "Keeping quiet, getting a lay of the land, deciding they are not needed in this situation" type 2 people
I suppose it could. I was thinking more the type 2 person was seeing what's going on before they move, then acting, while my type 3 person sees that there other people there, and decides to leave even if they want to be there or should be there because they're too nervous about being around other people.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Return to “General”