Thoughts for ships

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quercus

Re: Inspirations

Postby Quercus » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:04 pm UTC

I finally understand why the OR and XOR gates have the symbols they do (unless this is not actually the case... in which case it should bloody well be the case). They look like their circuits if they are made from NAND gates! (and drawn using the NAND gate circuit symbols, rather that going all the way back to the transistors). OR looks like a little spaceship, and XOR looks like a little spaceship with an extra bit stuck on the back of it. Squee! :D

Link if you're wondering what the hell I'm going on about.

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:21 pm UTC

Is just me or are hipsters actually good people?

I mean liking old stuff is good.Being different is good. Progressive politics is good. Gentrification is great.

Sure they're pretentious and elitist but who isn't?
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceHero

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:38 pm UTC

FierceContinent wrote:Is just me or are hipsters actually good people?

I mean liking old stuff is good.Being different is good. Progressive politics is good. Gentrification is great.

Sure they're pretentious and elitist but who isn't?

TL:DR - Yes, absolutely.

Long version: Hipsters are people, some will be more or less good (most of the time), hopefullly fewer will be more or less bad (most of the time). The same is true of furries, Beliebers, or whatever the currently fashionable internet hate group is. Generally, dismissing/denigrating a social group en masse is pretty inaccurate and a pretty bad idea. I get that most of it is done in jest, but it still grates somewhat.

So yeh, lots of hipsters are going to be good people. I'm not saying that pretension and elitism are good aspects of hipster culture, but I might suggest that before we dismiss people for being pretentious and elitist, (and being mindful of the general make-up of these fora)* there's certain aspects of geek culture that we could profitably take a long hard look at first.

* By this I obviously mean that a lot of people here are geeks, not that a lot of people are pretentious and elitist (although I certainly acknowledge that I struggle with the temptation to be so).

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:09 pm UTC

Pretension and elitism is just a side effect of liking good things (in whatever you like) without wanting to spend your time proselytising.

I really admire a lot of hipsterism. It's like cultural grazing, taking the best parts of a century of popular culture. Not feeling bound to any ideology, which have all been shown to be bullshit and limiting over the last century. Liking things on their own merits (or on your ironic enjoyment of their lack of merit), rather than feeling bound to love the same band or whatever for life. Or being forced to abandon something you still like when it deviates from the tenets of your subculture.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:19 pm UTC

... You know, there are more than a few people who would not describe gentrification as "great".

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:43 pm UTC

I was just thinking that. Also that "cultural grazing" sometimes takes the form of taking parts from marginalised cultures and decontextualising them or ignoring their cultural heritage. Yeah, cultural appropriation isn't solely done by hipsters by any stretch, but there's a reason the idea of hipsters wearing feather war bonnets exists.
Ⓞⓞ◯

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:29 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:... You know, there are more than a few people who would not describe gentrification as "great".
Yea, I'd be pretty tempted to describe it as "terrible."
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:16 am UTC

Quercus wrote:
Aleril wrote:I find the term "Stuffing your face" silly.

I don't picture someone putting food in their mouth, I picture someone shoving food and stuff in every orifice on their head.

I picture autotaxidermy

There are a couple scenes of autotaxidermy in Svankmeyer's Alice in Wonderland. It's pretty much as horrifying as you'd expect.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:27 am UTC

The word autotaxidermy makes me think of a taxi cab made out of human flesh.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:30 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:... You know, there are more than a few people who would not describe gentrification as "great".
Yea, I'd be pretty tempted to describe it as "terrible."

Fixing up a neighborhood - Good

Making a neighborhood's cost of living increase to the point that someone who has lived there for 20+ years can no longer afford to do so - bad

Making a neighborhood a place to live in the same way that a style of coat is the thing to wear - you are a terrible human being.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:17 am UTC

in this part of seattle I often see that the people who protest gentrification are also those new folks who want to live here for as cheap as they were told they could. To be fair, it's a really convenient place to live without a car. I dunno, I live here for cheap.
ImageImageImageImageImage

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:38 am UTC

Thanks guys
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:08 pm UTC

You can be a good person, but also far too wanky for me to want to be around.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:28 pm UTC

roband wrote:You can be a good person, but also far too wanky for me to want to be around.

So I should cool it on the wanking then?

Sombrero Cat

Postby Sombrero Cat » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:22 am UTC

the white wig gives me so many hypocritical lols.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:28 am UTC

roband wrote:You can be a good person, but also far too wanky for me to want to be around.

There are some people that works best in small dosages.

Like, they're totally awesome and cool, but if I spend more than 4 hours with them I want to strangle them, their family, myself and set the rest of the world on fire.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:59 pm UTC

If you're going to hipst (what I assume to be the present-tense of hipster), you need to go all the way.

Sombrero Cat

Postby Sombrero Cat » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:32 pm UTC

The Yeti brings a smile to my face.

--
I wonder what little baby bird is going to say on the marrow. (Slavin Cyber Criminals)

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:20 pm UTC

Useless mathematical property of the day: If the sum of the digits of a number expressed an odd base is even, then that number is divisible by two.

Or I don't know, may be useful if you ever find yourself trapped in a strange land where they use some odd base, and need an analogue to figuring out if a number is odd by looking at the least significant digit I guess... I wonder if this is the strange sort of mathematical Mad Max reality your mathematics teacher prepared you for, where some kid named Bobby has 27 apples and eats a third of them to establish dominance.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:24 pm UTC

Wow, the Fringe TV Tropes has a Characters Page that is broken down into entire sub-pages by Universe, Timeline, Corporate Affiliation and, in a few cases, individual episodes.

Sombrero Cat

Postby Sombrero Cat » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:36 pm UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSbLGuXzhsM

i think this sums it up nicely. Well, Far as i can Tell, Viral Tropes So interesting. Yup, must be the money.

___
News prediction. Bush Rubio (to pander to the Hispanic vote) dowsed in buried oil money like gulf coast fowl on the black pearl.

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:56 pm UTC

I love Tv Tropes.
Their page on double standards has a section on double standards that are unfair to women, a section on double standards that are unfair to men AND a section on double standards that are unfair to *both* genders.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... leStandard

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:26 pm UTC

Oh sorry, man.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:16 am UTC

Now I'm MORE depressed.

DD1: "Daddy, look, I had to buy a bra!"

... AUGH I'M OLD.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:03 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Useless mathematical property of the day: If the sum of the digits of a number expressed an odd base is even, then that number is divisible by two.

Less useless generalization: if (base mod X)==1, then "adding up digits of Y is divisible by X" <=> "Y is divisible by X"

(A mod B) means "the remainder when you divide A by B" if positive.

This covers the rule of divisibility by 3, and your rule. In base 16, it means "adding up digits" works for 5 and 3. In base 8, it means "adding up digits" works for 7.

If (base mod X)==0, then "checking last digit" for divisibility by X is sufficient.

If (base mod X)==-1, then the alternating-sum rule (like the divisibility by 11 test) works. In base 8, alternating sums works for 3. In base 16, alternating sums works for divisibility by 17.

(base mod X==-1) means "the remainder of base/X is X-1".
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:06 pm UTC

FierceContinent wrote:I love Tv Tropes.
Their page on double standards has a section on double standards that are unfair to women, a section on double standards that are unfair to men AND a section on double standards that are unfair to *both* genders.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... leStandard

Aw shit. I knew it was TvTropes, I knew I would waste more time than I can afford to, but I clicked it anyway.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sat May 02, 2015 5:24 pm UTC

Never (knowingly) experienced an earthquake before. Remains an anomaly, hopefully.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat May 02, 2015 6:04 pm UTC

I recall two small ones. The first was just the building rumbling for a moment. We had no idea what it was.

The second happened while I was sitting on my bed. I felt the bed lift up and twist sideways a bit. Pretty obvious, in that case.

(Folks in these parts are waiting for The Big One that we keep hearing is bound to happen Anytime Soon Now.)
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
- Anais Nin, writer (21 Feb 1903-1977)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat May 02, 2015 6:47 pm UTC

The two that I've noticed were in England, and Virginia, both extremely noticeable.

Living on a volcano I somehow managed to never notice them, though there have been some.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat May 02, 2015 10:13 pm UTC

I've experienced two in the 4.3 range, but fairly far from the epicenter, so both were like a fully-loaded lumber truck going by REAL close. That's about it.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sat May 02, 2015 11:21 pm UTC

Measured magnitude 4.2. Occurred approximately fifty miles (eighty kilometers) away. Heard it more than felt it. Exceeded known references. Passed without others nearby noticing.

Dominates the news. Missed the state record by 0.4. Reported minor damage at most.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sat May 02, 2015 11:46 pm UTC

I've slept through at least 3 quakes/tremors that woke everybody else I knew in the area up. But then I also slept through 10 minutes of fire alarm once.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun May 03, 2015 2:17 am UTC

Similarly I have slept through two tiny earthquakes. All my school friends at the time were discussing how exciting it was, one person's mother was scared and ran into his room. I didn't know until hours later. I slept through a van being smashed and set on fire outside my house so a tiny earthquake doesn't cut it.
Ⓞⓞ◯

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Sun May 03, 2015 4:56 am UTC

I was woken by a 7.1 earthquake in September 2010. Lived too far away to feel most of the 11,000 aftershocks. I felt a dozen or so over the times I visited the city.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun May 03, 2015 5:10 am UTC

I was pretty close to Northridge in 1994; that shook pretty good. We lost a fish tank in the (carpeted) living room and a ton of dishes.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

elminster

Postby elminster » Mon May 04, 2015 11:47 am UTC

I always thought it would be cool if you had a entire knife made out of a monocrystalline piece of an ultra hard material. E.g. Tungsten Carbide
It's stupidly impractical since it would be cheaper to hire a chef to use a regular one than it would be to make/buy a knife like that (I'd imagine in the 10+ figure range simply because research, custom equipment, etc required). On top of that, repairing chips would be next to impossible. Still cool though.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon May 04, 2015 12:04 pm UTC

elminster wrote:I always thought it would be cool if you had a entire knife made out of a monocrystalline piece of an ultra hard material. E.g. Tungsten Carbide
It's stupidly impractical since it would be cheaper to hire a chef to use a regular one than it would be to make/buy a knife like that (I'd imagine in the 10+ figure range simply because research, custom equipment, etc required). On top of that, repairing chips would be next to impossible. Still cool though.

Diamond knives exist and are used in surgery and research (e.g. as the knife in an ultramicrotome). Glass and obsidian knives also exist, but they are pretty much the opposite of crystalline.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Mon May 04, 2015 12:31 pm UTC

I went to school in California for a bit, took me quite a while to realize that not everyone did earthquake drills at school. But then English people didn't grow up with that song 'Story of a Girl'. In fact, most of the English people I've asked about it think I'm weird.

AMERICAN PEOPLE: YOU KNOW THE STORY OF A GIRL SONG, RIGHT?
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon May 04, 2015 12:54 pm UTC

Didn't she cry a river and drown the whole world?

She looks so sad in photographs.

Return to “General”