Thoughts for ships

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Re: Random natterings

Postby Sableagle » Thu May 05, 2016 5:10 pm UTC

The Firth of Forth is most of 170 miles NNW of me.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Thu May 05, 2016 9:36 pm UTC

Today's Random natterings is brought to you by the number eight trillion, nine hundred and eighty sixty billion, four hundred and twelve million, seven hundred and fifty two thousand, four hundred and twenty three and by the letter

Random natterings has absolutely nothing to do with the children's television workshop.
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceHero

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu May 05, 2016 9:56 pm UTC

Writing numbers in the desert sand, El Nombre!
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu May 05, 2016 10:27 pm UTC

Spent too much time in the sun and got a slight sunburn :-/

I blame my eagerness on not having seen direct sunlight for 3 months.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Whizzkid1024

Postby Whizzkid1024 » Fri May 06, 2016 10:53 am UTC

Spoiler:
Finally, now in the 16th week of sharply reduced drinkin, I can say that my base happiness levels have risen considerably. Lost friends, got new, better friends. I'm in touch with my emotions, working through the bad ones instead of running away. Discovered the energizing effects of being angry, instead of becoming sad when something bad happened. Discovered a bit later the calming effects of forgiveness, after getting all the angry energy out. So quitting was probably one of the best decisions ever, even though lots of bad stuff had to be processed that was tucked away under a rug of drunken nightlife. Learned how stop going to activities that weren't fun but I felt I had to go to because of social obligation.

The amount of emotions that I had to deal with was unprecedented, I think, but now that the worst things have been worked through, I can reap the benefits of enjoying the good emotions fully. Which is awesome, beautiful weather is more beautiful, having a good time is more fun. The improved social skills are not yet on the level I'd like them to be, but they have grown quite a bit. This was out of necessity, because beer wasn't there anymore to lower the inhibitions.

I've started doing sports every day, going on a better diet with more fruits and vegetables,...
(things that happened before)

Yes, life is going well the last days!

I'm feeling quite proud, because I asked a girl out totally in the moment, just going with the gut feeling. This happened a couple of days ago. Normally I'd analyze the situation to death. Eventually, she didn't want to go on the date, but that's not important. Taking the risk and just going with gut feeling is.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sat May 07, 2016 7:35 pm UTC

I've been away. Did I miss anything important? Everything seems normal enough but for all I know you may all have been raptured and replaced by advanced spambots.
I saw A Midsummer Night's Dream in Nottingham today, with a jazzy musical accompaniment. It was very good but I almost fainted in the interval. Then I ate an enormous pizza and rode a tram.
How are things with you?

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sun May 08, 2016 5:24 am UTC

Ptolom wrote:I've been away. Did I miss anything important? Everything seems normal enough but for all I know you may all have been raptured and replaced by advanced spambots.

1. Missed several Moderator Madnesses. Simulated them here. Hosted a game in 2015 also.
2. Runs on new hardware. Functions better on mobile platforms. Fixed the "most users ever online" statistic. Lacks certain board styles presently, namely Subsilver. Experiences issues with egosearch (and searches in general) too. May not pick up new threads.
3. A child, degree, or other major milestone for some members. See directly above, for example.
How are things with you?

Passable.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sun May 08, 2016 10:14 am UTC

The game looks intriguing.
I'm sure I was terrible the last time I was here so everyone pretend to have forgotten me.
Just an ordinary pink elephant as you would see in any ordinary fit of delirium.

Edit:
I have a question. Where is everyone if they aren't here? Have they finally got off the internet and gone to play outside, or have they just moved to Facebook?
Social networks make me agoraphobic. I used to tweet but I felt increasingly like the crazy man yelling gibberish in the the town square.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sun May 08, 2016 11:47 pm UTC

Pat pat. Remembered your username and avatar. Recalled nothing bad.

Guesses Reddit more than Facebook. May be preoccupied with work, school, or family obligations too, especially considering the date.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

farnsworth

Postby farnsworth » Tue May 10, 2016 1:59 am UTC

Reddit became the primary time-sink for me. I feel like taking the link to these forums off the XKCD homepage might have something to do with the generally reduced activity, though.

Although it's not very active, I like this community and the fact that it now feels very personal. Often, when I see a new post, it's by someone I recognize.

addams

Postby addams » Tue May 10, 2016 5:19 am UTC

Ptolom wrote:I'm sure I was terrible the last time I was here so everyone pretend to have forgotten me.
Just an ordinary pink elephant as you would see in any ordinary fit of delirium.

Social networks make me agoraphobic.
I used to tweet but I felt increasingly like the crazy man yelling gibberish in the the town square.

Greetings! (sometimes sad) Little Pink Elephant!
It is nice to have you back posting at xkcd.

So, ... You return to us, because your posts are like a MadMan in the Wilderness when posted on Twitter;

Yet, Your posts fit in here in the EchoChamber;
Not as Mad as some, a little Dingier than others.

Do I understand?
Welcome Home, anyway.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Tue May 10, 2016 9:31 am UTC

Thank you aadams. I am glad this place is still here. Ten years on the internet is long enough to reduce most places to ruins, but forums.xkcd.com abides. (Do you remember when we all thought that was just for April 1st?)

It's like urbanisation. People are moving from the homely phpbb villages where they grew up to the bright lights and loose morals of big social media sites.

I still don't know why I'm a pink elephant.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Tue May 10, 2016 3:19 pm UTC

I've found of all the social media sites, this one feels the most home-like. There is a strong enough sense of comradeship that even among the seedier sections (News and Politics) it generally is more of a sense of loyal opposition than bitter antagonists.

I mean, there is a weird arts/theatre district (Time thread), a downtown business area (Serious Business), coffee shops (What If/comic threads), a park (Forum games), and the central plaza of General, with the outlying suburbs and residential districts of the various other subforums.
"Trying to build a proper foundation for knowledge is blippery."
"Squirrels are crazy enough to be test pilots."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Tue May 10, 2016 6:48 pm UTC

I feel sorry to have missed out on the Time thread. I have no idea what they're doing in there but it looks like great fun.

I went into town today to look for a job but the only options were butcher's boy and hairdresser, neither of which I could really manage. I did find a Buddhist centre and a hackspace so I am not entirely disappointed.

Whizzkid1024

Postby Whizzkid1024 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:42 pm UTC

farnsworth wrote:I feel like taking the link to these forums off the XKCD homepage might have something to do with the generally reduced activity, though.

Yeah, I think that's the most probable cause of the reduced activity. It's quite sad that less people are finding all the wisdom that has been gathered in written form here throughout the years.

To end in a better note: Welcome back, Ptolom!

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Tue May 10, 2016 9:32 pm UTC

Predictions for the next century

I write this not because I have much fate in my abilities as a seer but because I enjoy seeing what people in the past predicted and I feel it fair to put this out so that perhaps someone fifty years from now might find it and enjoy seeing how wrong/right I was. Anyway, here goes:

2017 Hilary Clinton president. Another bloody revolution in Africa. Justice League movie terrible, Global recession. Increasing tensions between liberals and conservatives. Someone builds like a giant modern pyramid thing. Drone hits plane. New “healthy” soft drink popular.

2020 War in Syria over. Greece leaves Europe. Putin still in power. Cheap Disposable I pads. Queen Elizabeth dies. One of world’s tallest skyscrapers collapses due to shoddy workmanship.
China increasingly aggressive. Virtual reality gaming popular. More war in middle east. Fake Superhero hoax. Second Star wars film less fun but more interesting. Third is something of a disappointment. Discworld movie. Vampire/superhero movie popular. New STD causes alarm.

2030 Another Democrat president. Africa grows as economic power, rising sea levels affect many major cities. Life extension tech available (for rich). Infertility rises. Fat is sexy. Rather lame flying cars (for non-pilots) sold. Global Tech company withdraws services in an effort to compel Americans to agree with its demand’s. Computers built that reach human intelligence levels.

2040 China becomes more liberal. European union collapse. Someone invents a social media even more superficial than twitter. Classical music hugely popular with the kids. Healthy Calorie-free chocolate cake invented. Colony on Mars. Colony is disaster. New safer drugs eclipse alcohol in popularity. Effective technological cure for obesity found. Most violent conflicts are dominated by military robots.

2050 First black female president. Nuclear device detonated in major city. Computers are made that don’t crash all the time. Cures for most forms of cancer found. Global warming means farms can be set up in Antarctica. “Genderless” communities formed. Mind/computer implants common. Some cases Euthanasia legal in America. Treatment that serves as a faster alternative to sleep invented.

2060 States break off from USA to form new country. Moon base. 3d printer prints living human body. Some madman tries to kill billions of people to stop over-population. People using surgery to alter themselves form “Elvish” communities. space elevator. AI’s sneak around internet hiding in computers.

2070 A movement to give electronic beings civil right develops. Warts are sexy. Flying cars now really good. Some types of Genetic enhancement on babies legalised. 50% of US population unemployed. A.I.s play a significant role in government.

2080 Someone invents a procedure that lets people look however they please. At the same time every decides that looks are no longer important. Disaster on Moon base. Undersea city built.

2090 Asteroid mining. Ozone layer fully recovered. Some new bad thing like global warming or acid rain turns up.

2100 Tonnes of robots in space. Body hair is sexy. Physicists almost destroy world. Jurassic park.

2110 Someone invents a device that can rearrange someone’s molecules producing a small amphibian. America no longer world’s most powerful country. Colonies on asteroids and Europa.
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceHero

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Tue May 10, 2016 9:38 pm UTC

FierceContinent wrote:Someone invents a social media even more superficial than twitter.
That'd be the Daily Star's letters page.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue May 10, 2016 11:33 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:
FierceContinent wrote:Someone invents a social media even more superficial than twitter.
That'd be the Daily Star's letters page.

I was thinking more like tinder?
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Tue May 10, 2016 11:47 pm UTC

FierceContinent wrote:
“Genderless” communities formed.

This is already a thing! I like your whiplash switches between political and pop-cultural predictions, for the record.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

karhell

Postby karhell » Wed May 11, 2016 7:40 am UTC

Ptolom wrote:I feel sorry to have missed out on the Time thread. I have no idea what they're doing in there but it looks like great fun.

Feel free to poke around, we're a pretty welcoming bunch ^^

FierceContinent wrote:2050 [...] Computers are made that don’t crash all the time.[...]

Might be a bit optimistic, there ;Þ
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!
Wait well, ChronosDragon, may your seaish ketchup be molpish!

Link

Postby Link » Wed May 11, 2016 8:37 am UTC

Ptolom wrote:
Social networks make me agoraphobic. I used to tweet but I felt increasingly like the crazy man yelling gibberish in the the town square.

I know that feel. I used to be on Twitter too, and reading up on the people I followed was part of my morning routine... until at some point I realised I was spending around 45 minutes a day reading stuff I mostly didn't give a hoot about. The people/accounts I followed may have been interesting generally, but the stuff they tweeted, well, not so much. So I disabled my account, and I must say I haven't missed it for a minute.

As for Facebook, I've said this before but it bears reiterating: Facebook is evil. The degree to which it invades and monetises people's privacy is disconcerting. I've taken great effort to block Facebook on my home network.

Ptolom wrote:
I feel sorry to have missed out on the Time thread. I have no idea what they're doing in there but it looks like great fun.
It is! I also missed out on it initially, but I was happily welcomed there anyway. In a few weeks it basically went from "these people are nuts, but in a good way" to "this thread feels like home" for me. Reading it from the start (known as "blitzing", after BlitzGirl) is still on my to-do list, but it's by no means required in order to follow and enjoy the thread. That said, it can be extremely confusing, but thankfully mrob27 has a very nice page on it, and there's a wiki.

WilliamTheConqueror

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Wed May 11, 2016 10:27 am UTC

help it's 5:30 in the morning and ive been awake for over 24 hours straight and ive still got two whole sets of declensions, the passive voice, and participles to memorize for my latin final in? a fair number of hours

time has no meaning at this point. also i feel like my face is about to fall off. i love college
addams wrote:Fucking Nature.

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed May 11, 2016 12:03 pm UTC

*mumble* *mumble* planning ahead *mumble*

I know, I can't do it either. But luckily I haven't had to learn considerable trivia for a few years now —only concepts, methods and other things for which you need weeks to understand (of course there's a bit of trivia involved with constants/terms and simplifications of general concepts).

Also why do you need to memorize inflections for the Latin finals? Aren't you allowed to keep a dictionary with inflection pages with you?

Link

Postby Link » Wed May 11, 2016 2:18 pm UTC

WilliamTheConqueror wrote:
help it's 5:30 in the morning and ive been awake for over 24 hours straight and ive still got two whole sets of declensions, the passive voice, and participles to memorize for my latin final in? a fair number of hours

time has no meaning at this point. also i feel like my face is about to fall off. i love college

addams

Postby addams » Wed May 11, 2016 3:31 pm UTC

What an interesting conversation.
Spoiler:
Link wrote:
Ptolom wrote:

I know that feel. I used to be on Twitter too, and reading up on the people I followed was part of my morning routine... until at some point I realised I was spending around 45 minutes a day reading stuff I mostly didn't give a hoot about. The people/accounts I followed may have been interesting generally, but the stuff they tweeted, well, not so much. So I disabled my account, and I must say I haven't missed it for a minute.

As for Facebook, I've said this before but it bears reiterating: Facebook is evil. The degree to which it invades and monetises people's privacy is disconcerting. I've taken great effort to block Facebook on my home network.
I had a 'bad' experience during my first year of FaceBook.
I turned it Off, I never turned it back On.

Other's have let me look over their shoulders while they 'Navigate the Shoals' of FaceBook.
(shrug) It is, just, a tool.

VVVTime?VVV
***Time.***
For me, it both ended and began and began and ended with 'Bicycles On The Moon'.

What the The Time Community has done is Work.
They did it for Fun. Silly OTTers.

Ptolom wrote:
It is! I also missed out on it initially, but I was happily welcomed there anyway. In a few weeks it basically went from "these people are nuts, but in a good way" to "this thread feels like home" for me. Reading it from the start (known as "blitzing", after BlitzGirl) is still on my to-do list, but it's by no means required in order to follow and enjoy the thread. That said, it can be extremely confusing, but thankfully mrob27 has a very nice page on it, and there's a wiki.

(((>))) this is Straange.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.