Thoughts for ships

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Re: Random natterings

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:23 am UTC

You should just put everything into a blender and drink some sandwiches.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:47 am UTC

sardia wrote:
Angua wrote:Surely it would be easier to go with continuous pouring than dipping?

Then you don't get the sandwich fillings coming out.

Can you elaborate on this continuous pouring? Preferably from personal experience. I know Italian beefs are rare outside the Midwest, but french dipped au jus sandwiches is a pretty similar concept. Is that how they do it? I've tried pouring before, but it seems wasteful since the meat and bread can't absorb the jucies fast enough, and it runs over. Hmmm, what if I had two bowls of juice, and I poured over the second bowl to capture the runoff.* Maybe if I used a spoon or better yet, a pipette to insert au jus directly into the target end of the sandwich in between bites.

You have to pour slowly enough that it doesn't run over - spooning works. It's a much slower option though, and depends on the absorbing capacity of your food. Eg if your bread is too crusty then it will run off immediately.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:52 am UTC

Thou anointest my head with jus; my Italian beef runneth over.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:23 am UTC

Angua wrote:
HES wrote:
Angua wrote:Where do these people think scientists get their samples from???????

Angua wrote:...do these people think...

Nope.

+1.

Would read again.

Following up on this, this person has now stated that as diseases have been cured without having to 'stockpile viruses', then the government shouldn't be allowed to stockpile them as they can't stockpile nuclear weapons?

I have responded with how rabies and polio vaccines required infecting lab animals multiple times, and that even if you managed to come up with something without doing that you still need to test your cure against the disease somehow.

It's seriously hard to respond to these things without going 'wtf how paranoid/ignorant can you be????'

I don't know if I'm changing their mind, but maybe if not them, then someone looking at this video will think twice about it.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:43 am UTC

1: Distribute bacteria and viruses in sealed, controlled containers

or

2: Distribute bacteria and viruses in living creatures where sealing and controlling is more impractical and costly and, in the case of humans, potentially unethical.

New User

Postby New User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:49 am UTC

Just distribute the sealed containers in the living creatures. Then distribute a vaccine, in a sealed container.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:05 pm UTC

Even if we completely eliminate a bacterial or viral disease, we need to keep it around. Just in case.

I mean, I don't know why you'd ever want Polio, but if Polio someone makes you immune to space rabies that is omnipresent past Mars then by God give me polio before you shoot me to Alpha Centauri.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:44 pm UTC

Keeping samples of the smallpox virus is the epidemiological equivalent of a hunter mounting the head of a moose they shot on their wall.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:07 pm UTC

There was a theory floating around that immunity against smallpox gave some cross immunity to HIV as they both had something to do with CCR5? Not sure how that's going, and it seems that just being vaccinated with vaccinia is probably enough. Also that's why CCR5 neg people exist.

https://www.ahcmedia.com/articles/7634- ... d-shared=1
GNU Terry Pratchett

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:13 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Keeping samples of the smallpox virus is the epidemiological equivalent of a hunter mounting the head of a moose they shot on their wall.

So long as they do the equivalent of eating the rest of it, I have no problem with that either.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:43 pm UTC

Just got back from a week and a half in South Korea.

I think the only thing I don't miss is the poor air quality. Oh, and corn silk tea.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:38 pm UTC

Related: homozygous "wild type" for a particular gene is healthy. Heterozygous for it is healthy at low altitude but suffers sickle-cell anaemia at high altitude. Homozygous mutant suffers sickle-cell anaemia. You'd think the mutant forms would die out pretty quickly, but there's one more little detail:
The erythrocytes of a heterozygous person will individually "sickle" when infected with plasmodium, taking themselves and the infecting plasmodium out of the picture, meaning heterozygous people are immune to malaria. That's why sickle-cell anaemia is so common and so much more common in malaria-belt tribes than in norse and other geographically malaria-free tribes.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:09 pm UTC

woah, I really like microsoft's new remote desktop applications ...with win10 hosts at the receiving end anyway. They're like teamviewer but sleaker.

[edit]Except you don't get a long-press (RMB) in cursor mode (on a phone at least) and you can't scroll with two fingers.
Last edited by Flumble on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:09 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:Oh, and corn silk tea.

Is that corn silk plus hot water, or something more elaborate?
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

From growing up in a world of polarised, self-serving world leaders ready to risk international conflict, through the dawning of hope at the end of the cold war and now, erm... Anyway, smart phones are pretty cool!
- Jumble

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:47 am UTC

[bibliography][/bibliography]
Magnanimous wrote:Keeping samples of the smallpox virus is the epidemiological equivalent of a hunter mounting the head of a moose they shot on their wall.

With extinct viruses these days you could probably just keep the sequence and synthesise them if they're ever needed.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:12 am UTC

That's been done with polio.

It's actually a concern with smallpox - small pox has a much bigger genome than polio, but the techniques have got a whole lot faster now.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:01 am UTC

poxic wrote:

I'm not entirely sure. We were served it in bottles and you could find it in just about every vending machine. Imagine liquefying Fritos corn chips and creating a beverage from that. That's what it tasted like.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:05 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
poxic wrote:

I'm not entirely sure. We were served it in bottles and you could find it in just about every vending machine. Imagine liquefying Fritos corn chips and creating a beverage from that. That's what it tasted like.

huh. tried a beer not long ago that tasted like that. why would someone intentionally drink that? *shudders*
"We have met the enemy, and we are they. Them? We is it. Whatever."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Cabooceratops

Postby Cabooceratops » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:08 pm UTC

Watching this sphere inversion video past midnight is like creating a liminal space inside your house.
they/them/their

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:24 pm UTC

Oooh, I thought it would be this video. Yeah, that's some trippy shit at the best of times.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:27 pm UTC

You think it's bad from where you're sitting. Imagine how the basketball players feel about it.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:46 am UTC

Noooooo! The new headphones I bought are too good. Now I can hear the poor quality of all my audio files and not blame it on the limits of the equipment...
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:37 am UTC

Quick! Reencode all your shitty mp3s as FLAC!

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:01 am UTC

Encode as OGG, listen, if it still isn't good, transcode from OGG to AAC. If it still isn't good, transcode it from AAC to WMA, and then if it still doesn't sound good, transcode as a 64kbps mp3.

Also, try both constant and variable bitrate.
The rage in their eyes, torches in their hands
And the power of the cross bringing fear to all the land
And darkness will come to us all.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:22 am UTC

Something something Real Media.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:35 am UTC

Note that you need to set your OGG encoder to CBR/NBR mode to go down to 12kb/s. (the lowest VBR setting (32kb/s) actually sounds decent for some music)

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am UTC

You could reduce it to 1 bit per second, at which point I guess it would be beeping or not beeping.

Or 1 bit per song in a custom format, if you don't mind narrowing the space of possible songs even further. 0 plays one song, 1 plays a different song.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:37 am UTC

In case you haven't heard of it, take a look at LenPEG.

Lessons learned: if the file is empty, play one song; if the file does not exist, play no song. 0 b/s encoding! :D
Alternatively, since filenames aren't included in file size, decide which song to play based on the filename. (before you ask: encoding the song in the filename is a no-go, because most filesystems have name length restrictions)

In all seriousness, I believe a sufficiently advanced encoder could get the size for regular songs down to about 10kB while also keeping the program size below 100MB. There's not that much information in the sound of an instrument and the mixing.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to listening to tracker music. 51KB of glory!

Cabooceratops

Postby Cabooceratops » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:57 am UTC

My cockatiel, Luna, had a nightfright last night and dropped the flight feathers on her left wing. No broken feathers or blood, poor thing, but now she'll fly funny until they grow back in.

On the other hand, my other cockatiel, Bubby has been getting really good at flying between her cage and my shoulder so she can sit against my face.
they/them/their

Sombrero Cat

Postby Sombrero Cat » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:35 am UTC

Completely unrelated...

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:28 am UTC

Whatever happened to peak oil? Wasn't the sky supposed to start falling already?
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:51 am UTC

New technologies increased the number of accessible sources of oil, and I believe we also improved efficiency more than expected. This delays the onset, but it will hit us eventually.
The rage in their eyes, torches in their hands
And the power of the cross bringing fear to all the land
And darkness will come to us all.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:02 pm UTC

I've never learned the sound a giraffe makes. Nor a rhino.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:08 pm UTC

*rumble*rumble*rumble*rumble*rumble*THUD*

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:11 pm UTC

Ok, what about the Rhino?
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:22 pm UTC

Similar, but the thud comes a bit lower down and is accompanied by the sound of tearing metal as its horn comes in through the side of your car.

Cat-scratch disease: Cuddling a kitten could kill you, study finds

Caused by bacteria transmitted from cat to cat by fleas, humans risk contracting the disease by kissing or nuzzling cats, or by being scratched or bitten.

Doctors have recommended that cat owners always wash their hands after stroking their pet, and avoid any contact between their own animals and stray cats.

The study, which took place over eight years and surveyed over 13,000 cases of cat-scratch disease, found the annual incidence of the disease was 4.5 outpatient diagnoses per 100,000 population, which is higher than expected, but still quite rare.

Parents have been advised to discourage their children from kissing and rough play with kittens, in households with both cats and young children.

The easiest way to prevent the disease being spread is to protect pets from fleas. This is possible with many over-the-counter remedies, though some suggest a more natural method: giving cats a bath of vinegar, lemon juice or apple cider.

O.o

Parents have been advised to discourage ... rough play with kittens ... though some suggest ... giving cats a bath of vinegar, lemon juice or apple cider.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:42 pm UTC

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2016/09September ... l-you.aspx

Can we please just stop with ridiculous science "reporting".
GNU Terry Pratchett

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:57 pm UTC

That's not going to make the cat any less vicious about trying to avoid that bath.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:59 pm UTC

Ah, so a giraffe makes infrasound, if at all. (hey, I know that face!)
And rhinos sound like elephants that swallowed their trunks. Figures.

Sableagle wrote:*rumble*rumble*rumble*rumble*rumble*THUD*

I mean, when you're not kidnapping their young. :P

K-R

Postby K-R » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:21 am UTC

Sableagle wrote:though some suggest ... giving cats a bath of vinegar, lemon juice or apple cider.

I'm reminded of this...

Return to “General”