Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

JayDee

Re: Fleeting/Random Thoughts

Postby JayDee » Sat May 24, 2008 9:54 am UTC

timt wrote:<--professional lurker. I probaly check the boards at least 7 times a day and maybe post once per day.
Do you have business cards?
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Sat May 24, 2008 10:33 am UTC

I'm just arriving home at 5:30 in the AM. The sky is beginning to brighten, and the birds are already singing. If it wasn't for the fact that I need to function at a social level by 4:00 PM later today, I would just stay awake. So, good night (or rather, good morning).
多么现在棕色母牛?

dracharys

Postby dracharys » Sat May 24, 2008 10:57 am UTC

benjhuey wrote:The sky is beginning to brighten, and the birds are already singing.

I always consider that a bad sign, although it's been happening a lot more in the past few weeks.
When you see the robot, drink!

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Sat May 24, 2008 12:11 pm UTC

dracharys wrote:I always consider that a bad sign, although it's been happening a lot more in the past few weeks.

Stupid happy world... all "nice and warm", but at the same time smelting our ice. Dirty sadist.
Ptolom wrote:penis

dracharys

Postby dracharys » Sat May 24, 2008 12:47 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:
dracharys wrote:I always consider that a bad sign, although it's been happening a lot more in the past few weeks.

Stupid happy world... all "nice and warm", but at the same time smelting our ice. Dirty sadist.

I was thinking more with regard to insomnia/messed up sleeping pattern, but yeah, I'm not too fond of this whole summer thing either. Too hot and sticky, and not in a good way :)
When you see the robot, drink!

elminster

Postby elminster » Sat May 24, 2008 1:00 pm UTC

Pretty much for the last week my sleep pattern has been exceptionally screwed up. Ranging from 0-14hrs sleep, 1 day of reasonable length, but waking at 00:48am. I should really book that doctors appointment that I was meant to :?
Other thoughts:
- I wonder what a nuclear weapon detonated at the bottom of the deepest oceanic trench would look like from the surface.
- I wonder how well skilled chess players would be at other games. E.g. Would it translate well into strategy games like the Total War series.
- I think I've reached the point where almost any argument about something that's subjective is pointless.
- I recently found out that the proportion of things that become clearer when extensively thinking about them is less than I thought. It's kind of disappointing.
- I also recently found my new favourite way of enjoying nature (This is particularly odd, because I don't usually enjoy nature. It might be linked to the lack of sleep though). It consists of, not going out for a day, drinking a cup of strong coffee, then walking slightly faster than normal. A day of relatively monochromatic light makes everything outside look more vivid, colourful, and brighter.
- Other than lack of money or time (Money can be taken into account, not so much time though), I don't see why so many robots/machinery/software/etc that do purely logical tasks fail so terribly. For example, I went to work at a factory that produces cereal bars and they had recently spent several million on new machinery, which broke down so many times it was ludicrous. I'm not saying I could single handedly build something better (If given a few years of focus on it I'd like to think that I could), but given that every aspect is quantifiable or has limitations, surely you could just logically work out the best solution. It's a lot more complicated that in reality, but that's the essence of my thought (I've thought about it a lot more, but trying to keep it short).
- I wonder what the Japanese come up with on their versions of TV programs based around new inventions from the public. Considering they already produce loads of wacky inventions, they must have some real gems to put on TV.However, if watch the video of an contestant on the American version of Dragons Den with his invention of "Bulletball"... prepare for some soul destroying footage.
- I also hate summer, why can't everything be cold and dead again... Yes, I guess I am kinda emo, but without the emotions.

Wanderingcowboy

Postby Wanderingcowboy » Sat May 24, 2008 3:14 pm UTC

elminster wrote:- I recently found out that the proportion of things that become clearer when extensively thinking about them is less than I thought. It's kind of disappointing.

You've reached a Catch 22 here. Is it really more things that become less clear when you think about them, or just that thinking about thinking about things has become less clear, so that you think it's the proportion of things?
Randall on a skateboard!?
:mrgreen: <= This is my smiley. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My smiley is my best friend. It is my life. Without me, my smiley is useless. Without my smiley I am useless.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Sat May 24, 2008 5:04 pm UTC

RT: I have very little music my mum "approves" of on my MP3 player...
Ptolom wrote:penis

Wanderingcowboy

Postby Wanderingcowboy » Sat May 24, 2008 6:26 pm UTC

RT: I've been embarrassed to ask this for a while now... and I've tried to search through the fora to find the answer without success... but... what's up with all the otter and ducking? I mean, I love otters and ducks as much as the next guy/girl/otter. I mean, otters are playful and fun, and ducks quack and jump in puddles. There's nothing not to love about them. But... they seem to hold a special place here in the xkcd fora... so... yeah, what?
:mrgreen: <= This is my smiley. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My smiley is my best friend. It is my life. Without me, my smiley is useless. Without my smiley I am useless.

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Sat May 24, 2008 6:44 pm UTC

I believe it originated from a misspelling of other in a poll back in some or other day.

On an unrelated note, I almost misspelled misspelling, and then just now I spelled 'misspelled' with a t. Oh the irony?
*Often edits posts as soon as they're posted*

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

kriel

Postby kriel » Sat May 24, 2008 7:14 pm UTC

me: Hey, Search bar. Search for this. "You know you're a when"

search bar:
"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: know you when re a.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards."

me: -facepalm-

Miss C

Postby Miss C » Sat May 24, 2008 7:30 pm UTC

Wanderingcowboy wrote:RT: I've been embarrassed to ask this for a while now... and I've tried to search through the fora to find the answer without success... but... what's up with all the otter and ducking? I mean, I love otters and ducks as much as the next guy/girl/otter. I mean, otters are playful and fun, and ducks quack and jump in puddles. There's nothing not to love about them. But... they seem to hold a special place here in the xkcd fora... so... yeah, what?

You know, I've been wondering that too! It is very nice to have an answer. I was beginning to think that all our mods had some sort of beastiality fetish... It was scary
We have enough youth... how about a Fountain of Smart.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Sat May 24, 2008 7:36 pm UTC

FT: Bosnia&Herzegovonia's eurovision entry scares me...
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Neuman

Postby Neuman » Sat May 24, 2008 7:41 pm UTC

Spoiler:
This is an otter. It's under a spoiler. It's also standing on ice.
Hello. I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is: No.

Wanderingcowboy

Postby Wanderingcowboy » Sat May 24, 2008 7:42 pm UTC

Miss C wrote:You know, I've been wondering that too! It is very nice to have an answer. I was beginning to think that all our mods had some sort of beastiality fetish... It was scary

I'm still fairly new... but yeah, all of them don't. Just some of the higher-ups.

...and thank you for that Neuman. Your helpfulness in this matter cannot be described in mere words.

Neuman

Postby Neuman » Sat May 24, 2008 7:45 pm UTC

I do what I must, because I can.
Hello. I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is: No.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Sat May 24, 2008 7:55 pm UTC

For the good of all of us!

Except the ones who are dead...
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sat May 24, 2008 8:14 pm UTC

It's nice to hang around here but there is science to do.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sat May 24, 2008 8:22 pm UTC

~sigh~ When I look out there, it makes me glad I'm not you.

END IT. END THE MADNESS. Eat lying cake, before I call the anti-meme brigade.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sat May 24, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:~sigh~ When I look out there, it makes me glad I'm not you.

END IT. END THE MADNESS. Eat lying cake, before I call the anti-meme brigade.

Relax, relax would you, please? This is no time to go crazy over little things like this. After all,
I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sat May 24, 2008 8:36 pm UTC

I'm not talking to you. Companion cubes don't talk. SHUT UP.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat May 24, 2008 8:37 pm UTC

Talon to Orbiter Bomber : Erase Sweden. With Nukes.

It's the only way to be sure.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sat May 24, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Talon to Orbiter Bomber : Erase Sweden. With Nukes.

It's the only way to be sure.

Not in anger or in wrath,
the reaper came today.
An angel visited this grey path
and took the cube away.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sat May 24, 2008 8:40 pm UTC

Second Talon, we were going to invite the companion cube - your only friend - to your party. But you killed him.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sat May 24, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:Second Talon, we were going to invite the companion cube - your only friend - to your party. But you killed him.

Also, it turns out, you're adopted. So that's funny, too.
- Hesiod, Theogony

Miss C

Postby Miss C » Sat May 24, 2008 8:47 pm UTC

Insert random witty comment here...
We have enough youth... how about a Fountain of Smart.

Wanderingcowboy

Postby Wanderingcowboy » Sat May 24, 2008 8:50 pm UTC

DAMN YOU ALL!
I don't get to experience this game for another month and a half! *Counts down the days till back in the States*

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Sat May 24, 2008 9:05 pm UTC

There should be a sarcasm tag.
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

fusillade2

Postby fusillade2 » Sun May 25, 2008 12:38 am UTC

Stupid sun set again. :?

Cornelius

Postby Cornelius » Sun May 25, 2008 12:49 am UTC

Light bulbs are not actually "light bulbs" but dark absorbers. When you turn them on, they suck the dark out of the room. You can prove this by holding your hand under a "light bulb". The dark will stack up under your hand where its path to the absorber is blocked by your hand. When they quit working and turn a dark color, it's not because they burnt out, it's because they're full.
ImageImageImage

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Sun May 25, 2008 1:52 am UTC

Leif Erik Ericsson The Red
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

z4lis

Postby z4lis » Sun May 25, 2008 2:16 am UTC

I had a really cool thought while I was jogging, but when I saw this thread to type it in, I totally forgot it. Another fail.
What they (mathematicians) define as interesting depends on their particular field of study; mathematical anaylsts find pain and extreme confusion interesting, whereas geometers are interested in beauty.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sun May 25, 2008 2:21 am UTC

Cornelius wrote:Light bulbs are not actually "light bulbs" but dark absorbers. When you turn them on, they suck the dark out of the room. You can prove this by holding your hand under a "light bulb". The dark will stack up under your hand where its path to the absorber is blocked by your hand. When they quit working and turn a dark color, it's not because they burnt out, it's because they're full.

Whoa. WHOA. This is wonderfully absurd and perspective-altering.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

z4lis

Postby z4lis » Sun May 25, 2008 2:32 am UTC

kellsbells wrote:Whoa. WHOA. This is wonderfully absurd and perspective-altering.

Absurd? Most certainly not. Studies have even shown that when you suck the dark off of certain atoms, they get really happy and throw their electrons around.
What they (mathematicians) define as interesting depends on their particular field of study; mathematical anaylsts find pain and extreme confusion interesting, whereas geometers are interested in beauty.

Antimony-120
Location: Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat.

Postby Antimony-120 » Sun May 25, 2008 3:13 am UTC

random thought: This isn't random, this is pseudo-random. I want random. Can we get a program to create sentences based off of radioactive decay?

random thought #2: I need to stop thinking about thinking so much. I'm ALWAYS thinking about thinking, and I feel that it's sort of a waste of brainpower.
Wolydarg wrote:That was like a roller coaster of mathematical reasoning. Problems! Solutions! More problems!

****************Signature Dehosted, New Signature Under Construction************************

Dr. Canadian Ninja

Postby Dr. Canadian Ninja » Sun May 25, 2008 3:13 am UTC

RT: I find it both shocking and amusing to realize how often I use XKCD to elaborate upon a point.
SecondTalon wrote:Know what I hate? The complete lack of electric bass guitar in Baroque stuff. I mean, come on!

omni

Postby omni » Sun May 25, 2008 3:44 am UTC

Cornelius wrote:Light bulbs are not actually "light bulbs" but dark absorbers. When you turn them on, they suck the dark out of the room. You can prove this by holding your hand under a "light bulb". The dark will stack up under your hand where its path to the absorber is blocked by your hand. When they quit working and turn a dark color, it's not because they burnt out, it's because they're full.

Sir, you and I think far too alike.

Dr. Canadian Ninja wrote:RT: I find it both shocking and amusing to realize how often I use XKCD to elaborate upon a point.

I agree. You do this far too often.

Now for me random thought...I have just realized how uncomfortable this chair really is. Perhaps it is time for a new one.
Jahoclave wrote: Science, it needs a bigger stick with which to bash in minds.

Cornelius

Postby Cornelius » Sun May 25, 2008 4:15 am UTC

I didn't know Douglas Adams was dead until today.

7 years late.

Also, perhaps you should try some sort of swivel chair. I have a Jeep chair I got from an auction that is FUCKING AWESOME. Real leather and all that.
ImageImageImage

omni

Postby omni » Sun May 25, 2008 4:23 am UTC

I would love to try a new chair. The problem is that I currently have zero income.

Also, wow. I applaud your slowness there.
Jahoclave wrote: Science, it needs a bigger stick with which to bash in minds.

Kikral

Postby Kikral » Sun May 25, 2008 4:49 am UTC

FT: I had fun today. Me and my friends hung out for hours, played Oblivion and G-Mod, had a freeform guitar duel (I lost), and pretended to be stealthing round the neighborhood at 11:00 at night to try and lose some energy.

Why can't all Saturdays be this fun?
I am the man your gods will have nightmares about for the next 50 years.

Return to “General”