Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Re: Fleeting/Random Thoughts

Postby Quixotess » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:53 am UTC

So I'm at college orientation, which takes all of today and part of tomorrow. We're supposed to bring one or two parents, but I don't particularly like my mother and my dad and I bicker if we spend too much time together, so my older sister Josie, 21 y/o, offered to come instead.

Now Josie has [ed. note--snipped long summary of tangled relationship history] and so Jack pulled seniority to change his work schedule, flew to the town we're in, and booked all three of us a hotel room using his flight attendant discount. They're in the other bed right now, snoring softly.

The students and the parents have different programs/workshops for orientation. We invited Jack to the evening parent session. I went to the Q&A for students and they went to the "Tips for Parents" thing.

The parents were supposed to divide into smaller groups for some activity, and of course this involved going around and introducing themselves and talk a little about their kids. "I'm Sally from the peninsula, my son's name is Connor and he's my second one going to college," that kind of thing.

Josie said "I'm Josie and I'm here for my little sister because she didn't have anyone else who could go." Parents made faces of appropriate solemnity.

Jack said "I'm Jack and I'm a flight attendant who happened to be in town."

Hee hee hee. A daily dose of surreality.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:26 am UTC

I spent all last night playing rock band for the first time and watching mediocre movies.

A night well spent.

Now i'm tired and i just want my darling SO to get in touch so we can chill/sleep.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

SilentSigil

Postby SilentSigil » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:49 am UTC

The funny thing about the tortoise and the hare is that the tortoise was never racing.

That thought just popped into my head.
If I say that this is left purposely blank, then the statement contradicts the reality, which is that the sig space was not left blank, but had the words 'This space left purposely blank' in it.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:01 am UTC

Moo wrote:Davean can be the wise patriarchal figure that started the <insert family business around which the series is based> from scratch and must try and guide all the other characters in making the right choices.

Quixotess wrote:If you took the roles you gave the people above and wanted to make them work for a soap opera, one of them would have to be actually, unintentionally humorously, evil. It wouldn't be Saladin, though, he's really more of a Lucky Spencer. Maybe Davean.

davean is, was, and always will be a bastard.

Gordon wrote:See Davean run. Run Davean run. The guy running is a bastard.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

kriel

Postby kriel » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:37 pm UTC

It's amazing how much of an impact a simple state-of-mind can have.

So, I was reading this book. And it's a Good Book.TM

But for some reason, one little chapter in it really flipped my state-of-mind.

Spoiler:
The bit about Phaedrus teaching 'quality' to the classroom really helped, and in around the same spot in the book, The narrator thinking about how Chris hikes. How you're supposed to go your own pace, and basically live in the moment.

I'm tempted to type up that whole bit of the book to share it, but then I might get eaten by a raptor for copyright infringement. Are the raptors around here anti-pirate? >>; <<;

In other news:
I'm starting to get excited about stuff again. I wrote my own webserver in python (Woo!) and I'm... excited about it. I couldn't get to sleep last night, and I woke up early this morning. Could it be, the depression is wearing off?

... We'll see.

... Damn, I wish spoilers would nest.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:51 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
Phases wrote:
Amoeba wrote:I wonder if you can ever say 'forever' to someone and know completely that you mean it.

Yes, you can know you mean it - in the moment.

Unfortunately the moment won't last forever.

*facepalm*

You facepalm, but it's kinda a zen answer. Sorta like asking the time - the time is always Now, just not that Now back there. It's a different Now. It's also not that Now that's coming up. But they're all Now.

Things change. People's minds change. You can say something and completely mean it then, but find that fifteen years and three kids later, you don't think that way anymore.

To quote a religious nut that verbally accosted myself and a friend many many moons ago... "Forever is a long time"
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:25 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:

That is incredibly sig'able, but for now I will resist the temptation...

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:36 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:
Good. I think I first saw that qoute in a sig, then looked up its origins.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:49 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:You facepalm, but it's kinda a zen answer. Sorta like asking the time - the time is always Now, just not that Now back there. It's a different Now. It's also not that Now that's coming up. But they're all Now.

Things change. People's minds change. You can say something and completely mean it then, but find that fifteen years and three kids later, you don't think that way anymore.

To quote a religious nut that verbally accosted myself and a friend many many moons ago... "Forever is a long time"

SecondTalon: bringing beauty to our fora. (No really, that is one of the most beautiful things I have read lately. [Note: "one of the most beautiful"...])

RT: "Get Smart" was a pretty lame film with lots of teen-humor in it. I didn't mind watching one of the most astonishing women in a tight leather jacket, nor her in a dress which showed A LOT of leg.
Teehee! :mrgreen:
Ptolom wrote:penis

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:50 pm UTC

The fact that tween music/ tween pop-stars evein exist scares the bejeezus out of me and probably implies the impending doom of the world and the fracturing of the universe.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:52 pm UTC

Cheese wrote:
existential_elevator wrote:
Good. I think I first saw that qoute in a sig, then looked up its origins.

It was in my signature for a while.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:01 pm UTC

College orientation is fucking exhausting. HOWEVER I have met a boy. He:

1. Plans to major in music
2. Was supportive when the director asked us to name a bunch of ways that college would be different from high school, some guy shouted out "the girls are hotter!" and I booed.
3. Plays D&D.

How is this not the total everything?
Raise up the torch and light the way.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:12 pm UTC

It's.. a start, I guess, but everything?

He probably loves food you hate, loathes bands you like, and reads stuff that you wouldn't want in the same aisle as you.

SecondTalon - kicking dreams (and puppies!) since 1874.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:14 pm UTC

I have tickets to see Stephen Lynch. Yay! But the show isn't until November. Boo!
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:19 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:It's.. a start, I guess, but everything?

He probably loves food you hate, loathes bands you like, and reads stuff that you wouldn't want in the same aisle as you.

SecondTalon - kicking dreams (and puppies!) since 1874.
Fuck off, ST. It's everything that matters.

EDIT: :/ That's not really the kind of thing I'd normally say, and it looks strange. Hmm.
Last edited by Cheese on Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

This is the moment where SecondTalon admits it was him stalking the college girls at orientation.

My fleeting thought: Why can't time go quicker between the hours of 0845 and 1730, and slower/more stoppy for the 'non-peak' hours. Why is relativity never on my side, Einstein?
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:45 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:This is the moment where SecondTalon admits it was him stalking the college girls at orientation.

Nah. Later, in the library's where I did my stalking. Plausible deniablility and all that.

Also, everyone knows that chicks out of college are the hottest. It's the dudes in college that are at their peak.

Grooving Tony

Postby Grooving Tony » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:48 pm UTC

You know going along with the college girl thing mainstream media and pron have a lot to answer for, where are all these easy beautiful girls that universities are supposed to have? We have been misled.
It's turtles all the way down
Panda
BHCM
protect the flag
snuggles
Jahoclave wrote:Tip: Shotgun, they could be a zombie. Remember, you're the first step in preventing the zombie apocalypse.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:52 pm UTC

Dude, according to the mainstream media, the only difference between a beautiful, jaw-dropping, ship-launching girl and a hideous troll capable of turning all that look on her to stone is the clothing, glasses and hairstyle. And sometimes (but only sometimes) posture.

Grooving Tony

Postby Grooving Tony » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:56 pm UTC

There are some girls that even changing that stuff wouldn't help. And i don't really have anything else to add.
It's turtles all the way down
Panda
BHCM
protect the flag
snuggles
Jahoclave wrote:Tip: Shotgun, they could be a zombie. Remember, you're the first step in preventing the zombie apocalypse.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:03 pm UTC

Helloooo?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:04 pm UTC

Cleveland? St. Louis? Springfield?

What are we going for here?

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:11 pm UTC

Ignore the icky boys. Good for you Quix, it sounds exciting. Hope he turns out to be a keeper! Good luck with orientation.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:13 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I Am Raven wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:You facepalm, but it's kinda a zen answer. Sorta like asking the time - the time is always Now, just not that Now back there. It's a different Now. It's also not that Now that's coming up. But they're all Now.

SecondTalon: bringing beauty to our fora. (No really, that is one of the most beautiful things I have read lately. [Note: "one of the most beautiful"...])

RT: "Get Smart" was a pretty lame film with lots of teen-humor in it. I didn't mind watching one of the most astonishing women in a tight leather jacket, nor her in a dress which showed A LOT of leg.
Teehee! :mrgreen:

RT: I hate it when people ignore posts I have made.
(And don't go all smart-pants with me by ignoring this one too!)

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:14 pm UTC

Insert acknowledgement of Raven's post here.

Boy, that sure is some stuff you said!

Sorry :)
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:16 pm UTC

Moo wrote:Ignore the icky boys. Good for you Quix, it sounds exciting. Hope he turns out to be a keeper! Good luck with orientation.
So, wait.. me comically reminding Quix of something she already knows - that total everything is not three traits.. makes me icky?

No no, you're right. Assuming he's completely perfect in every way is a far more realistic approach.

I Am Raven wrote:RT: I hate it when people ignore posts I have made.
(And don't go all smart-pants with me by ignoring this one too!)

You.. didn't really have much to reply to there. I mean, if you'd gone on to say that one of the other things were the instructions on a bag of chips/crisps, then yeah, I'd be able to work with it via a snarky "I'm sorry I'm not as poetic as 'Grasp front and back of bag with thumb and forefinger, pull in opposite directions'"

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:20 pm UTC

Dude. This is just a little fun thread. It is not of the utmost importance that we immediately crush the excitement of meeting a new person so we can make someone aware of all the potential dangers and dissappointments of falling in love lest she makes some horrible mistake before precious seconds are wasted.

And my choice of words was a light hearted expression of girly solidarity.

Do you need to cut back on the coffee? Hmm? Perhaps?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:21 pm UTC

I don't have time for coffee, what with all the black tar heroin I shoot in my eyeballs.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

I'm sure you (SecondTalon) could've come up with something that would make me feel like a complete unknowing prick and you as the best person on the whole planet though. It's what you do best (yes, it is, look at your post).
RT: I'm sorry for everything. I'm sorry for every stupid, insulting, downgrading and manipulating post I have ever made. I'm sorry for being a jerk sometimes. I am truly sorry if I confuse you. I am even sorry for bothering you to read this. Sorry.
@Moo: It's about halfway down here.

mat-tina

Postby mat-tina » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:36 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:RT: I'm sorry for everything. I'm sorry for every stupid, insulting, downgrading and manipulating post I have ever made. I'm sorry for being a jerk sometimes. I am truly sorry if I confuse you. I am even sorry for bothering you to read this. Sorry.

I was going to say that! When the time was right, that is. On top of a tall building. With a megaphone.
Last edited by mat-tina on Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Felltir wrote:has no sig, and therefore something to hide
GENERATION n: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. If n is an even number, divide it by 2. If it's odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1. Prove that this sequence converges to 1 for all n.

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:36 pm UTC

HEY! I've been on the fora for a year three days ago and let my alter ego's birthday slip by totally unnoticed! Did the same thing with 1000th post actually.

Oh well. Carry on.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:14 pm UTC

Moo wrote:HEY! I've been on the fora for a year three days ago and let my alter ego's birthday slip by totally unnoticed! Did the same thing with 1000th post actually.

Oh well. Carry on.
Pretty much the same thing happened to me. Meh, there's always the second anniversary.

RT: I've been here for nearly half the life of the fora... wow.
Spoiler:

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:44 pm UTC

At some point we all will be. Unless...
Spoiler:
...the fora are destroyed.

Which is unbearable to think of for me.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:47 pm UTC

I'm reading the Aeneid for school (over summer) and I'm only on page 10. I'm a procrastinator, but that's not the point. The point is, damn Virgil is laying it on thick! Juppiter just went on a page long speech about the glory of the Romans. Fucking Juppiter.

Subtlety is a good thing, mate.

EDIT-No, it's more like a page and a half! Jeez
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:22 pm UTC

I really feel like my school appreciates me as a student.

Let me explain. A few of us expressed interest in taking CSCI 451, otherwise known as Applied Computer Security. There are not going to be a lot of us in the class, maybe five or six at the most. Despite this we not only got the class approved (it was up in limbo whether or not the paperwork was going to go through) but we got our own server and lab. So the school spent a good chunk of money on a server for a class with only a few students in it. This makes me happy.

The only thing that bugs me is that we don't really have a time slot for it yet, and I would like to know when it is so I can tell the campus computer labs when I can be available for work study.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:02 pm UTC

RT: PIZZA'S HERE!

*much much munch*
"Ogh, thif pipfa if vewy vewy goot!"
*nom nom nom*

Aaahh... and to think I said I'd never eat pizza again. (After eating the grossest pizza ever, 2 times in a row [by accident{don't ask}] and almost vomiting.)

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

Mmmm, pizza...
Felstaff wrote:Why can't time go quicker between the hours of 0845 and 1730, and slower/more stoppy for the 'non-peak' hours. Why is relativity never on my side, Einstein?
Quite the opposite. It's because time slows down there that you work those hours. More productive.

Raven: we're not ignoring you, we just have nothing to say in reply to you. Say more interesting things. :P

Quixotess wrote:I'm Jack and I'm a flight attendant
I shudder to think of all the "hi, Jack!" jokes he must hear.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Seremite

Postby Seremite » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

Sarr wrote:I'm reading the Aeneid for school (over summer) and I'm only on page 10. I'm a procrastinator, but that's not the point. The point is, damn Virgil is laying it on thick! Juppiter just went on a page long speech about the glory of the Romans. Fucking Juppiter.

Subtlety is a good thing, mate.

EDIT-No, it's more like a page and a half! Jeez

Good god, you're lucky. I wish my school had me read the Aeneid. But nooo... I was supposed to read Twilight. Fucking Twilight. Fat chance.
My school is filled with idiots.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:15 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:RT: PIZZA'S HERE!

*much much munch*
"Ogh, thif pipfa if vewy vewy goot!"
*nom nom nom*

Aaahh... and to think I said I'd never eat pizza again. (After eating the grossest pizza ever, 2 times in a row [by accident{don't ask}] and almost vomiting.)

I'm starting to think you need a livejournal.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

Decker wrote:I really feel like my school appreciates me as a student.
[long story]
Mine doesn't. I only do Advanced Higher computing because I'm getting taxied to another school in the area, because my school "isn't equipped" to let me do it there. This. Is. Bullshit. And I'm only getting taxied in to the other school because I kicked up a big fuss, and would refuse to take any other subject - and it can't be good for the school's image if they go expelling students because they want to do a subject they enjoy in their final year, can it?
Spoiler:

Return to “General”