Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

The Spherical Cow

Re: Fleeting/Random Thoughts

Postby The Spherical Cow » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:24 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Despite their similar ages, and the fact that they both had military experience, Putin would completely beat McCain in a fight.
McCain's 72, Putin is 56. That's not really that similar at all. And Putin is an ex-KGB agent and didn't get his arms fucked up in a Vietnamese POW camp.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:26 pm UTC

Oh, I thought Putin was older.

My mistake.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

The Spherical Cow

Postby The Spherical Cow » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Oh, I thought Putin was older.

My mistake.
You do know that Putin's gonna come and kick your ass now, for saying he looks old? He'll come and judo throw you into submission, before force feeding you radioactive sushi.

Putin can be touchy about his looks. Especially the fact he looks like Dobby from Harry Potter.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Two Quote Pyramids & a Partridge in a beef cheese?

Postby Felstaff » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:46 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:
Felstaff wrote:
Meowgan wrote:Pineapple on pizza is vile.
Consider me unsubscribed from your mailing list. Oh, and the wedding's off.

I burned the cake you knitted, too.
...we have this thing called opinion, therefore I apologise profusely for being so inexorably wrong on every level of wrongness since Sir Thomas Wrongge (1476-1532) invented 'The Scale of Wrongness' and then decided it had been written down wrongly.
You are too kind.

Meowgan wrote:
existential_elevator wrote:
Meowgan wrote:
Felstaff wrote:
Meowgan wrote:Pineapple on pizza is vile.
Consider me unsubscribed from your mailing list. Oh, and the wedding's off.
I burned the cake you knitted, too.
*Cries. Cuts self.*
Wait.. you two are good friends? But I thought we were going to be good friends..?
Umm, there's something I need to tell you.
I enquired about being a fan at least four minutes before you did, Tatania "Ozzy" Winklesworth.

Blinke wrote:Cheese = meat :shock:
Cheese is a kind of meat,
A tasty yellow beef,
I milk it from my teat,
But I try to be discreet.
Oooooh, Cheese.
Oooooh, Cheese.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

Pineapple on pizza is lame and totally not metal.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:03 pm UTC

Noc wrote:FT: It occurred to me last night that the presidential race would be more interesting if it was done in the style of professional wrestling. Not in terms of the candidates beating the snot out of each other in a carefully orchestrated and badly-acted concrete ballet . . . but think about it for a second. The race as it is is all very passive-aggressive; the candidates are always trying to be nice and polite and dignified, and talk about how their opponents policy decisions were or are going to be suboptimal, and how their plan is better. Then the adds come out, which say "The other candidate has voted three hundred times in favor of eating every American family's first born child. Do we really want a baby-eater as President? Think of the children, and start with yours!"

It's sort of weird and passive aggressive. I understand why it works this way; you want to get your opponent covered in mud, but you don't want to have just been elbow-deep in it yourself the next time the cameras come along. But imagine an alternative with me, for a second . . . an alternative where election coverage would involve back-to-back interviews with the candidates wherein the presidential hopefuls loom over the interviewee, speaking directly to their opponent through the camera and angrily detailing how they will dominate the other party in the election. Proper presidential smack-talk.

And they could work promotional bits into other political events. The Senate is about to pass a Republican-favored bill when Obama appears out of nowhere and rallies the Republicans to quash it, then points his finger to the horizon and says "You're next, McCain!" Then the camera cuts to McCain, staring at the television in his mansion and fuming . . . and the next night, election coverage opens with a clip of the Obama campaign bus being driven over by a tank.

Would it make a mockery of the electoral process? Would it turn our government into a farce? Pretty much. But still.

So, basically, a Jerry Springer-style show with prospective presidents instead of trailer trash? Count me out. Passive aggressive bullshit is better than that.

Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG

Postby Noc » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:11 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
Spoiler:
Noc wrote:FT: It occurred to me last night that the presidential race would be more interesting if it was done in the style of professional wrestling. Not in terms of the candidates beating the snot out of each other in a carefully orchestrated and badly-acted concrete ballet . . . but think about it for a second. The race as it is is all very passive-aggressive; the candidates are always trying to be nice and polite and dignified, and talk about how their opponents policy decisions were or are going to be suboptimal, and how their plan is better. Then the adds come out, which say "The other candidate has voted three hundred times in favor of eating every American family's first born child. Do we really want a baby-eater as President? Think of the children, and start with yours!"

It's sort of weird and passive aggressive. I understand why it works this way; you want to get your opponent covered in mud, but you don't want to have just been elbow-deep in it yourself the next time the cameras come along. But imagine an alternative with me, for a second . . . an alternative where election coverage would involve back-to-back interviews with the candidates wherein the presidential hopefuls loom over the interviewee, speaking directly to their opponent through the camera and angrily detailing how they will dominate the other party in the election. Proper presidential smack-talk.

And they could work promotional bits into other political events. The Senate is about to pass a Republican-favored bill when Obama appears out of nowhere and rallies the Republicans to quash it, then points his finger to the horizon and says "You're next, McCain!" Then the camera cuts to McCain, staring at the television in his mansion and fuming . . . and the next night, election coverage opens with a clip of the Obama campaign bus being driven over by a tank.

Would it make a mockery of the electoral process? Would it turn our government into a farce? Pretty much. But still.
So, basically, a Jerry Springer-style show with prospective presidents instead of trailer trash? Count me out. Passive aggressive bullshit is better than that.

You're misunderstanding. Jerry Springer is, basically, a bloodsport; people who watch it turn in to cackle with glee at people making fools of themselves. It's a spectacle of pettiness. Professional wrestling, on the other hand, is about ridiculous, over-inflated drama. It tries to be "Epic." It tends to fail, and becomes the transparently contrived and badly acted farce we all love to peer down our noses, at.

But that's what we need in the presidential race, Eye Emm Aich Oh. More "Epic."
Have you given up?

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:14 pm UTC

EDIT: fuck I already typed this, but couldn't find it, but then I saw it and- never mind.
Ptolom wrote:penis

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:16 pm UTC

In before I Am Raven finds the delete button.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:19 pm UTC

That post is going to look so out-of-context when he actually does (as will this one, it occurs to me).

I see your point Noc. But would you really want everyone to see politics as an over-inflated, transparent act? Such things probably wouldn't be too good, I think.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

In "Well my, The Mighty Thesaurus really is a whiny asshole."*
*Well doh! Not really. I am just not very fond of people that try to be (or) even (are) more witty/funny than I am. But I like you Thesaurus, although you write down my username like a spambot would. Greetings and a handshake from me The Mighty Thesaurus. Also, While I'm at it, is that last word in your username just a very easy way of writing The Saurus? As in The Mighty The Saurus. Perhaps even with a comma: The Mighty, The Saurus. Or even better with dots! The Mighty... The Saurus.
[/I'mSoSorry]

The LTB strikes again! Too bad it's an emo rant!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:I see your point Noc. But would you really want everyone to see politics as an over-inflated, transparent act? Such things probably wouldn't be too good, I think.

I don't know if that's the most sarcastic comment in the world.. or the most naive. Either way... Exactly.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Re: Two Quote Pyramids & a Partridge in a beef cheese?

Postby Cheese » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:29 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:
Blinke wrote:Cheese = meat :shock:
Cheese is a kind of meat,
A tasty yellow beef,
I milk it from my teat,
But I try to be discreet.
Oooooh, Cheese.
Oooooh, Cheese.
1) I am Cheese. I am also human. Human could be called meat. Therefore, Cheese = meat (note the capital C in Cheese).

2) Felstaff, you have now been added to my collection of out-of-context sig quotes. Congratulations.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

xndrew
Look on my hair, ye Mighty, and despair!

Postby xndrew » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:31 pm UTC

I'm late, but I'm okay with that.
Pineapple is always good. Grilled, on pizza, in salads, plain, just the juice. I cannot get enough.
But Vegemite is fucking terrible. Though, to be fair, I've only ever been offered it plain, all by itself, nothing to help absorb the too-much-salt-in-my-mouth-oh-my-god-this-is-terrible taste.

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:34 pm UTC

You're doing it wrong. Every part of your post is wrong. Stop being so wrong.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:41 pm UTC

RT: When I saw SecondTalon had posted in this topic, and in the Today I Learned one, my first thought was "SecondTalon is on a rampage." whilst the second being "Pizza." and some seconds later after reading
thecommabandit wrote:That post is going to look so out-of-context when he actually does (as will this one, it occurs to me).

"No, it wont, because I can't."

@TMT: who? If I am: why? And if xndrew is: indeed! Pineapple is great when it's nice and juicy and fresh and has only seconds before been robbed from it's pointy skin.

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:44 pm UTC

xndrew is wrong.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:57 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
thecommabandit wrote:I see your point Noc. But would you really want everyone to see politics as an over-inflated, transparent act? Such things probably wouldn't be too good, I think.

I don't know if that's the most sarcastic comment in the world.. or the most naive. Either way... Exactly.

Naive, I guess. Though it is amazingly sarcastic now that I think about it.

...needless to say, politics is not my forte.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:15 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:

Naive, I guess. Though it is amazingly sarcastic now that I think about it.

...needless to say, politics is not my forte.

That was the 16300th post.

Also, politics isn't my strongest point either. Want to make a "I-not-knows-politics"-club?

RT: I am actually enjoying my assignment. Yes it is costing me time, and yes I can think of loads of other things I would like to do, but typing it just makes me smile and rubbing my hands in my mind.

Raiku

Postby Raiku » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:28 pm UTC

Okay, I have to say I'm with you on the no knowledge of pollitics club-it allo just confuses the hell outa' me...

But-yays! My first ever guitar lesson today! :)

And I made some of my composition.
But yay!

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Raiku wrote:Okay, I have to say I'm with you on the no knowledge of pollitics club-it allo just confuses the hell outa' me...

But-yays! My first ever guitar lesson today! :)

And I made some of my composition.
But yay!

COOL! How was it? Did it live up to your expectations, and if not, why? And what did you do? Ooo, I am exited!

xndrew
Look on my hair, ye Mighty, and despair!

Postby xndrew » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:25 pm UTC

I think I'm pretty okay with doing it wrong. Thanks for the heads up though.

NieXS
Why's the rum gone?

Postby NieXS » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

I'm locked in. Damn.
she/her

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:33 pm UTC

NieXS wrote:I'm locked in. Damn.

How did you manage that?
I've never locked myself in anywhere.
Ⓞⓞ◯

mat-tina

Postby mat-tina » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:37 pm UTC

Hi, guys.

Some weeks ago, I remember someone (I'm not sure who it was; possibly 3fj) posting a fleeting thought about Flash not being able to play sound if artsd was running (and vice versa). I found the solution to this today:

* Run chmod u+s /usr/kde/3.5/bin/artswrapper to let artsd use realtime priority
* and so avoid possible skips in sound. However, on untrusted systems this
* creates the possibility of a DoS attack that'll use 100% cpu at realtime
* priority, and so is off by default. See bug #7883.
* Or, you can set the local artswrappersuid USE flag to make the ebuild do this.

It's written for Gentoo, but I suppose it can be applied to other systems as well, pretty easily.

I haven't tested it thoroughly, but it seems to be less prone to hang Firefox now as well.

Just in case anyone is interested :)
Felltir wrote:has no sig, and therefore something to hide
GENERATION n: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. If n is an even number, divide it by 2. If it's odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1. Prove that this sequence converges to 1 for all n.

NieXS
Why's the rum gone?

Postby NieXS » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:49 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:

How did you manage that?
I've never locked myself in anywhere.

So, my dad asks if me and my brother have keys. We say we have (in theory). Turns out that my brother lost his, and I can't find mine. So here I am.
she/her

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:53 pm UTC

Stuck inside?
Your doors lock from the inside, right?
Mine only lock from the outside, hence me being unlockinable.
Ⓞⓞ◯

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:

How did you manage that?

With tuppence for paper and string, you can have your own set of wings. With your feet on the ground you're a bird in flight. With your fist holding tight to the string of your kite. Let's go fly a kite up to the highest height. Let's go fly a kite and send it soaring up through the atmosphere, up where the air is clear. Oh, let's go fly a kite.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:13 pm UTC

Such a nice poem...

Noc

Postby Noc » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:27 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:Such a nice poem...

Whoosh.

. . .

You can't see it right now, but I'm waving my hand over my head. It occurs to me that this is not a gesture easily translatable into text.
Have you given up?

Balsamic

Postby Balsamic » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:54 pm UTC

Apple can go to hell (AUD pricing).
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray wrote:I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their good intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies.

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:06 pm UTC

I would like a crappy to decent laptop with Debian installed to hax on.

Mo6eB

Postby Mo6eB » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

My last two posts effected new thread pages. Third time lucky?
GENERATION [imath]\aleph_{1}[/imath] : Whenever you wish, copy this into your sig on any forum and increase the generation to the next transfinite cardinal. Social experiment NOT over.

Noc

Postby Noc » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

Nope.
Have you given up?

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

GUISE, new pages happen every forty posts. It's not just random, or based on length of posts. In fact, you could write a script to get when a new page is about to happen, and always get page-topper.

...I'ma do this, right now.
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

Hit3k

Postby Hit3k » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:47 pm UTC

I go to bed early and wake up tired. What the hell is up with that?
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:57 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Has Randall ever done a guest comic for qwantz before? I think he should do a guest comic for Dinosaur Comics.

I think he should do it on Friday.
I see what you did there.
sleepygamer wrote:
thecommabandit wrote:Also, kudos to sleepy-G for the fix'd sig.
No worries, ol' buddy.
You missed "lenght".

I love how piping stuff through stdin and stdout is binary-safe on *nix, so I can do fun things like

Code: Select all

sox ./marisa.flac -t wav -|lame -b 320 -h - ./marisa.mp3
because sox has no mp3 output support (don't feel like recompiling) and lame can't read FLAC (but will happily ignore that and encode a few minutes worth of static :roll: ).

But I HATE HATE HATE how if you copy something from a program, then close the program, the stuff you copied gets wiped out. >8^(
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:57 pm UTC

Please, no.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Noc

Postby Noc » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:03 pm UTC

So it occurred to me that it would be really good, and really useful, to be able to output the AS3's trace() function to a text field in the .swf itself. Unfortunately, I've been searching the documentation and the internet for most of the afternoon, and I have not found out how to do this. That's right; I can't find the Flash AS3 documentation for the trace function. This seems silly, to me.

Also, why would you need to write up a script to figure out who's going to be a pagetopper? It's, like, two operations, the automating of which seems a little excessive.

I mean, it's not like I did this by accident?
Have you given up?

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:06 pm UTC

I don't think the script was to figure out if you're going to be a pagetopper, it was to warn you about potential pagetoppers so that you can ninja every damn one if you feel like it.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Return to “General”